• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sarah Brightman Sings 10th Pokémon Movie Theme

I totally can't wait until the full version of this is avalible, I'll be getting the 10the movie soundtrack when it's relelased anyway but damn, that song is such a powerful and beautiful ballad, I get the feeling that the 10th movie OST is gonna be all kinds of awesome X3

I totally can't wait until the full version of this is avalible, I'll be getting the 10the movie soundtrack when it's relelased anyway but damn, that song is such a powerful and beautiful ballad, I get the feeling that the 10th movie OST is gonna be all kinds of awesome X3
100% agreed. That instrumental music we heard in the first few movie previews was also very nice. I'm incredibly glad to see the pokemon team pulling out all the stops for this one.

Maxim, what's so bad about it? English is really popular in Japan (has been for years), just listen to some of their other music. This isn't as big of a deal as you're making it.

I know it. That's why Pokemon loses it's style. It was Japanese for many years but it's becoming English because English is "cool" for Japanese people. You may like these English influences, I don't. The song sounds like a typical american ballad, I don't like it.

Just look on the names.
1st Movie: Sweet, Voyager
2nd Movie: Fulura (I heard it's some instrument), Yodel (Fulura's sister), Geraldan (WTF)
3rd Movie: Me Snowdon, Sully Snowdon John
4th Movie: White
5th Movie: Canon, Vongole, Zannah, Lyon, Rossi
6th Movie: Battler, Dyan
7th Movie: Audrey, Katheryn
8th Movie: Arlon, Kid, Lyn, Ailyn, Jenny, Freddie, Banks
9th Movie: Jack Walker (bleh, sounds like stereotypical English name), Judy, Phantom, Ship
10 th Movie: Alice, Arbelt, Tonio is WTF.

English names all the time. I think it SUCKS!

Last edited:
Maxim said:
5th Movie: Canon, Vongole, Zannah, Lyon, Rossi

Yeah, how dare they use Italian names for a movie that takes place in a city based on an Italian tourist site!

There's also the fact that anime characters are almost all based of the English/European race . . Miyazaki said it himself when he said that Europeans have so many traits that are different in between them as opposed to the Japanese/Asian race, which is mostly black hair, tan skin, brown eyes, etc. That's why we don't see many Asain looking characters in anime.

I can understand your argument Maxim, but honsetly, just because it's made in Japan doesn't mean it HAS to have Japanese names.

The tenth movie for example, some of the names are Spanish names . . the setting was based off of Spain, so I don't see your problem.

I mean, if it was a recurring character and they were given a name like "Kayla" or something like that, I could see your point, but I think the reason why we get these names in the movies are because they're not recurring characters . . they're there for two hours, and then rarely ever heard of again.

And, how old are you Maxim? You can't really be 90.

There's also the fact that anime characters are almost all based of the English/European race . . Miyazaki said it himself when he said that Europeans have so many traits that are different in between them as opposed to the Japanese/Asian race, which is mostly black hair, tan skin, brown eyes, etc. That's why we don't see many Asain looking characters in anime.
But that doesn't mean that their names must be mix of Japanese and English names. In most of animes characters look white and they have Japanese names for some reason. That's a Japanese anime!

I can understand your argument Maxim, but honsetly, just because it's made in Japan doesn't mean it HAS to have Japanese names.
But it doesn't mean that it must always have these l33t Engrish names.

The tenth movie for example, some of the names are Spanish names . . the setting was based off of Spain, so I don't see your problem.
It's based on Spain, but that is not Spain, that is Shin'ou. So, characters don't automatically have to have Spanish names. And are these names so Spanish? Alice isn't Spanish. Nor is Arbelt, nor is Tonio. Tonio is completely WTF because it's not Japanese, nor English or Spanish. Sounds like something pulled out of director's butt.

I mean, if it was a recurring character and they were given a name like "Kayla" or something like that, I could see your point, but I think the reason why we get these names in the movies are because they're not recurring characters . . they're there for two hours, and then rarely ever heard of again.
But it's annoying nonetheless.

And, how old are you Maxim? You can't really be 90.

That was off-topic.

I can't be 90 because I'm 97. However, time doesn't exist. I don't care about it. You maybe older or younger than me, age doesn't matter, intelligence does.

Alice isn't Spanish. Nor is Arbelt, nor is Tonio. Tonio is completely WTF because it's not Japanese, nor English or Spanish. Sounds like something pulled out of director's butt.
You've never heard the name Antonio, which is Spanish and Italian?

Maxim, you missed what I was saying. I meant that in regular Japanese anime, although characters are based off Europeans, they have Japanese names because the Japanese culture can relate to hearing the name. But it's always fun to hear a forigen language name every once and a while, and I can tell you right now Maxim that the writers are not doing the anime to please you, but rather to please the Japanese population, and the Japanese population likes English things.

What you need to grasp a hold of is that in Japan, everything is not Japanese, they have many English things. Heck, they have bars and places where you go to speak English and practice it. English has been integrated into Japanese culture and you need to realize that. So it's not like having English names in a Japanese anime came completely out of the left field. You should have expected it.

Also, going by your logic, if it's based in Sinnoh, then why does everybody in Sinnoh have to have Japanese names? I mean, it's not Japan, it's Sinnoh.

Last edited:
The Japanese have always thought adding random English words to everything they do is cool and this has been a fact way before since Pokemon ever came to existance.

Complaining about how they like to use English names or English songs is childish and n00bish, even if you're 97 years old.

But I can tell my opinion, can't I?

When it's logical . . your opinion and what you were trying to get across didn't make very much sense at all. You didn't like the show because it was turning American/English instead of Japanese when the English they were using was completely understandable to Japanese culture? I don't know, whatever.

>But I can tell my opinion, can't I?

You do have every right to your opinion, but at the same time, other posters have the right to call your opinion into question if they think that your opinion is silly.

As if we needed any more proof that there is a crowd that seriously desires the eradication of any and all English influence in the anime....

They're the people I was talking about when I said the next thing to be demanded after widescreen movies would be the replacement of dubs with subs of the raws....

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom