• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sarah Brightman Sings 10th Pokémon Movie Theme

Katsu Koneko

KeiRika Queen
Reaction score
First Japanese movie theme by former Phantom of the Opera star

The Hochi Shimbun paper reports that internationally renowned English soprano singer Sarah Brightman will sing the theme song for July 14's Pocket Monsters Diamond & Pearl the Movie: Dialga vs. Palkia vs. Darkrai. Brightman is best known for originating the heroine role of Christine in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera musical. She recorded the song "Be With You: Itsumo Soba ni" (Always By Your Side) for her next album, due this fall or later. Japanese stores will carry the single on July 11.

The ballad and the movie will commemorate the ten year anniversary of the Pocket Monsters movie franchise. Pokémon: The First Movie still holds the record for the highest overseas box office of any Japanese movie. The last nine movies have been seen by a total of over 38 million attendees in Japan and have taken in 41.5 billion yen (US$347 million) at the box office.

Singer and Phantom of the Opera actress Sarah Brightman's Japanese homepage on the Toshiba EMI website is now hosting the Pocket Monsters Diamond & Pearl the Movie: Dialga vs. Palkia vs. Darkrai preview. The preview in Real Video and Windows Media Video format includes her theme song "Be With You: Itsumo Soba ni" (Always By Your Side).
Source: Anime News Network

Also, the song seems to be in English. ^^

EDIT:

Be With You: Itsumo Soba ni (Always By Your Side) Trailer

Last edited:
Yes it is; however, I wouldn't get your hopes up. For all we know, it could be a guest character's.

Jeez, those fight scenes look cool! Including Dialgia biting Palkia. XD Let's hope we get a real action-pact brawl.

I like the parts with Ash riding Pidgeot and Darkrai standing on that tower thing. :D

The song sounds good too. Hopefully the dub will keep it.

So the song's in English, but goodness knows the dub'll probably still get a whole different song.

Goddang.

The song is a little short to make a good judgement about it, but it sounds good.
For people who hate streaming video: I've saved the video into wmv

Last edited:
It sounds good from the little bit that's in the clip! Cool that it's in English.

English/American singer singing the Japanese version song.
I don't like it.
It will kill J-Music taste that we could feel in previous movies songs.
I don't like it. Pokemon is Japanese and I'm very disappointed that they try to make some things american-styled.
Pokemon is Japanese. So, if it won't LOOK Japanese, it won't be Pokemon, not for me.

Pshhh, it's not like one English song is going to completely destroy all of the Japanese elements of the franchise. Give me a break.

I mean music.

I prefer Japanese music. I prefer that taste, American Pokemon music is tasteless.

But it's not American Pokemon music. It's Japanese Pokemon music sung in English, and if anything it improves the chances of us getting the same song in our dub.

I know.
That's why I don't like it.
Japanese is tuning english.

Maxim, what's so bad about it? English is really popular in Japan (has been for years), just listen to some of their other music. This isn't as big of a deal as you're making it.

And anyways, I love it. The song sounds great! Heck, I may like Japanese music myself, but there's no denying Sarah Brightman beats the crap out of some of the past movie singers. ._.

Awesome! I love Phantom of the Opera, so it's cool that they chose someone from it ^_^ Awesome it'll (apparently) be in English too.

Pshhh, it's not like one English song is going to completely destroy all of the Japanese elements of the franchise. Give me a break.

I agree completely, heck there's an English version to the 3rd Movie ending (Niji ga Umareta Hi).

Because Japanese is BETTERU!

Seriously, the song sounds very nice. Can't wait to listen to the whole thing.

Perappu is betteru. Learn it you fools.

But honestly, this movie looks so good right now I'd probably enjoy it even if it were a silent 1930's film. Hence why I can't wait for it already---after the disappointing "Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea," "Dialga vs. Palkia vs. Darkrai" looks like it could easily be three times or more an improvement.

EDIT: Upon analyzing the lyrics:

I will be with you
You are my fearful love, sent me from high above, You are the one
I will be with you
I'm going where the wind blows, going where the lost ones go

....I am now convinced Baron Alberto and his reckless determination to marry Alice is key to the plot. What it appears to me is that Baron Alberto runs into a rival who threatens his chances with Alice. But who? It can't be.........no, it couldn't. That would never happen.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I like it too, but I just found it disappointing after how good "Lucario and the Mystery of Mew" was...

I did like it enough to buy three of the four plushies ;)

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom