• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Satoshi-tachi speculation

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Potential spoilers may follow. If you don't want them, don't read.

We don't yet know who Satoshi's new travelling companions will be for the next season, other than that Kasumi will be a part of the team for at least 3 episodes. Watching this weeks episode from Japan, I'd like to suggest this as potentially the new team.

Satoshi (Ash)
Haruka (May)
Masato (Max)
Kenji (Tracey)

Now, before I get rotten fruit thrown at me....

Takeshi - He's stated in the most recent episode that he was feeling newly motivated to battle again. This seems to suggest either of two things for me. Either that this new story arc might focus on him travelling around for badges (Does he even need them to enter the league, as a GL?), or that he's planning to resume his Gym Leader position. Satoshi will always be the main focus of the series, so that's one option eliminated....

Kasumi - I can't see a reason for her to not be there, but we only know of 3 episodes that have been recorded with her in them at this point in time. It's not necessarily an unreasonably assumption that those will be her only episodes for a while.

Kenji - It's a filler season, Takeshi's gone....he's the only person of the gang up to this point who can fill his shoes. Being a watcher studying under Ookido, I could see him being used to explain away why there are 2nd Gen Pokémon in Kanto now, going on about migration habits or something.

Haruka - If Kasumi's not there, we need another person to take the token female slot. I don't know how Haruka can fill it exactly, given the lack of contest houses in Kanto, but you never know.

Masato - He and Haruka are a package deal. Enough said.

Thoughts?

Max could stay at Professor Oak's, leaving Tracey open to join Ash for a bit. That option has been there since Max first appeared.

Why do the two have to be together? I'm sure they could spend a bit of time apart, possibly alowing a bit of character development.

As I see it, here are the possible reasons each character might or might not be incorporated:

Ash - A given.

May
Pros - highly popular and important to the series; could quite easily have contest battling in the Battle Frontier. If Misty isn't coming along, May is almost guaranteed just so that they have a token female.
Cons - I can see her being phased out on the chance that the writers plan to ditch her permanently as a character. Popular as she and the anime contests may be, the main purpose of this show - and May herself - has always been advertising. If there aren't going to be any contests in the D/P games, I can't see them devoting another huge anime sidestory to her next season. That's still a big if, though.

Misty
Pros - almost as popular as, if not equally to, May, if the various polls I've seen dotted around the place are any indication. Again, if May isn't going to be there, Misty might be slotted in to fill the girl spot on the team. Would also bring a surge of publicity to the anime. And we know she's going to be around for three episodes just beforehand, anyway...
Cons - it's not so clear exactly what she'd do at the Battle Frontier. Plus, she hasn't been a regular character for a long time now, so betting on her presence is automatically going to be much more speculative than it would be for May, Max or Brock.

Brock
Pros - well-loved, a constant in the anime (the Orange Islands being the exception), and that line about feeling motivated to battle again could very well lead to some character development (if so, hurrah and about damn time).
Cons - hasn't done anything interesting for a good while now, has lost a lot of popularity in the fandom, and the trip past/through Pallet Town on the way to Mt. Moon would be a very convenient place to drop him off. And, as already said, the battling line could quite easily mean that he intends to take over the gym again.

Max
Pros - very likely to come along if May is, although not a dead cert. There's good potential for a plotline involving him, IMO. Also - and this point also applies to May - we know that he's going to leave for an episode or so while Ash travels to Kanto, and then come back again in time for Mt. Moon/the movie, so it would be a bit silly for him to just vanish again straight afterwards.
Cons - not a lot of fans, tends to be seen as an extension of May, and if she leaves, he almost definitely will.

Tracey
Pros - since he hasn't been a main character for such a long time, it's theoretically possible that the writers will stick him in this mini-arc just for old times sake. Or, who knows, maybe they'll try to give him something cool to do just to prove that his character wasn't a total mistake after all.
Cons - a Tracey return is even more wildly speculative than a Misty one. He has very few fans and plenty of detractors, he isn't at all marketable, and he's never been particularly interested in battling, so I'd have to wonder what purpose he'd have for even wanting to come.

Team Rocket
Pros - practically a given for about the same reason that Ash is. There's nothing preventing them from following the twerps around like normal, and we know they're in the movie, so...
Cons - there is a very small possibility that, should Misty come to the BF, Butch and Cassidy will stalk her and temporarily take over as the villains of this mini-saga while JJ&M pay a visit to the boss or something. However, the chances of Misty returning AND B&C going after her AND JJ&M conveniently vanishing for this time are practically non-existent, if you ask me.

Um, are you making these guesses on the Frontier?

The Frontier isn't a season, it's just a 13 or so episode arc. They're not going to change their cast for only 13 episodes. Likewise Ash isn't staing in Kanto for a "season."

The Frontier is still part of Advanced Generation, and if the 8th movie is any indication the group is staying exactly the same. Where you're getting the idea that the Frontier will be a year long season is beyond me. ;)

They have maybe 13 weeks before D/P comes out. This is not going to be a season.

As for May, how do we KNOW there are no contest houses outside of Hoenn? The only reason we didn't see any in Kanto and Johto was simply because they weren't created in the games yet.

I'm pretty sure Contests aren't just exclusive to Hoenn, that would be ridiculous.

Likewise I don't see Misty staying unless she has something to contribute, and by the looks of it she's just back to be Ash's cheerleader again, so count me out.

It only takes a little common sense to realize what's going on. Kanto saga? Battle Frontier season? WTF? They have roughly 13 weeks before D/P comes out.

Last edited:
I dunno about the team. Ash obviously, May as well, and maybe Brock or... someone. I think they should give Tracey another shot, but that's just me. Max could stay with Oak or soemthing, I don't really care about him all that much. Misty's coming and going again.

I'm willing to bet May is staying. She is pretty much an advertisment, which is why they gave her Gonbe. It's obvious that thing is for marketing, and it hasn't done anything yet. May has to do something with that thing besides it sitting there looking all... gluttony. -_-

I'm getting confused about the BF. Why does everyone seem to think it's going to be ten episodes long when there's only one title for it? o.0;;

They really need to do something with Brock. When's the last time he's done something for his breeding career?

I don't know what Misty could do. It depends on who else is in the group and who's not...

When does the 8th movie take place? After the Mt. Moon episode? So that means the group is exactly the same, unless they change it afterwards...

I was thinking about what Archaic posted about Brock, specifically, the question of Brock's needing badges to enter the League. What if there's a separate League for GLs only? I was under the impression that the League is for amateurs, a bit like the Olympics are today. Going under that assumption, GLs and EF members would be excluded. Personally, I'd like to see Ash battle both Brock and Misty at some point in this episode arc.

I was thinking that they introduce a completely NEW character for the season. If Misty can't make it, dragging May along shouldn't exactly be a priority, because of... well, the lack of Contest Halls.

In the other thread, I saw something about the fact that the 8th movie still has the exact same lineup in Hoenn. And yes, Tracey was in the 2nd and Brock wasn't. However, it has been proved that they don't take place between episodes that air before and after they are released. 6th one came out in the middle of a Contest two-parter.
With that fact above, they've NEVER had a movie that's cutting this close to a change in region. Pretty close, yes, but not this close. Considering the fact that movies are sort of made to CLOSE seasons, or to represent the entire last season.
Even if Misty did join the group, they wouldn't drag her into the movie, since it "represents" the last season. Squirtle and Phanpy... I don't know. Silly question, but have they even been confirmed to be Ash's? Because in reality, if Ash really got them back, they'd at least give the fans a few episodes to get used to them before the movie comes out, and it's too late for that. If they're his, they probably just make cameos in the movie. Like Charizard in 3.

Yeah... sorry to go a bit off topic, but thats basically why I don't think the movie tells us what the lineup will be.

~Zak

cold_katanagirl said:
I'm getting confused about the BF. Why does everyone seem to think it's going to be ten episodes long when there's only one title for it? o.0;;

In the preview for the next episode, Ash mentions learning about the frontier from Scott and how he plans on heading there. I'm guessing that the current trip through Kanto is merely a slight detour.

The episode titled for the Battle Frontier is mainly taken up by a battle with Agatha, so the Frontier clearly turns up later. Ash probably has to go through Cerulean City to get there.

Squirtle and Phanpy are in the Pikachu short, and not necessarilly the movie. Also note that the short will not appear until August.

Ash sends Squirtle and Phanpy out of their Pokeballs in the movie, so they're obviously his.

I'm guessing he picks them up in the Oaks reunion episode. I guess Squirtle will get there somehow, maybe Jenny will drop him off.

Likewise, if May wasn't staying why would they give her a Munchlax? The thing hasn't even done anything of importance yet, so if they were planning on removing May they would have never given her a Munchlax.

For someone that has pretty much been a co-star with Ash for the whole Hoenn region (even with her own league and everything), they're not going to throw her out after Hoenn ends.

So the BF is in Kanto now, or are they just going there or... *still confused* o.o;;

Sorry, I'm slow. ^^

There is nothing to say it has to be in Hoenn. Ash probably has to travel through Kanto to get there, as an excuse to bring Misty in for a few episodes.

cold_katanagirl said:
So the BF is in Kanto now, or are they just going there or... *still confused* o.o;;

Sorry, I'm slow. ^^

I'm not exactly certain either ^^;. I would guess it's in hoenn, and that they'll head there after they finish whatever it is they're doing in Kanto.

Scott85 said:
They have maybe 13 weeks before D/P comes out. This is not going to be a season.

I'm surprised no one has called bullshit on this claim yet.

Fact 1)IF P/D are released this year, they are 95% likely to come out mid-november, like R/S before it. If not, then they EASILY have the whole season.

Fact 2)The BF/Kanto arc (whichever it is) begin next week in Japan.

Fact 3)Between "now" and "November", there are FOUR FULL MONTHS. Even with the shortest months possible (ie, ALL 28-days months, that's at least 16 full weeks, not 13 ; considering that in this case we're talking about three 31-days months (July, August, October) + a 30-day month, it's 17-18 weeks.

Add in to that two weeks of June, and AT LEAST one if not two in November, and you're looking at twenty weeks minimum for this new story.

Which is rather more than the 13 you suggest, and much closer to 2/3rds of Orange in length than the 1/3rd you suggest.

Last edited:
Scott85 said:
Likewise, if May wasn't staying why would they give her a Munchlax? The thing hasn't even done anything of importance yet, so if they were planning on removing May they would have never given her a Munchlax.

I dunno, remember that Tracey had a Marill and yet he was gone by the time they actually entered Johto.

While it's obvious that whatever happens next will include some former traveling companions, isn't there a possibility that we could see some formerly one or multi-shot trainers come in as main characters? True, it's never been done before, but who's to say they can't do something different? Prior to Hoenn Ash captured all the starters, but this time around didn't. Until Hoenn there were only 3 people in the group. Maybe we'll see things drastically changed for the next region. Of course, I'm ALWAYS wrong about these things...so I'm certainly not calling this a prediction, merely a wishing.

I still haven't decided who I want to travel with Ash next season. I really enjoyed May and think she has a lot of potential still to develop further and would like to see her again, but I am still a big Misty fan. I don't see why they both can't be present.

The only thing about Misty is the fact that, to me, she seems to be enjoying her role as a gym leader. The specials seem to indicate that she is happy. I think I'd rather her act as a gym leader and have a purpose then come back as Johto!Misty. If she got some actual personality back and they gave her a real purpose, then I'd love to see her back. Don't get me wrong, she's one of my favorite characters, but there doesn't really seem to be a reason she should leave the gym.

Something needs to be done with Brock IMO. He has grown incredibly stale. I'd like to see Tracey back for a bit, or perhaps a new character who could actually do something.

I could care less about Max.

So I guess the ideal group for me would be Ash, May, Misty (depending on the circumstances), and Tracey/new character.

Damian Silverblade said:
I'm surprised no one has called bullshit on this claim yet.

Fact 1)IF P/D are released this year, they are 95% likely to come out mid-november, like R/S before it. If not, then they EASILY have the whole season.

Fact 2)The BF/Kanto arc (whichever it is) begin next week in Japan.

Fact 3)Between "now" and "November", there are FOUR FULL MONTHS. Even with the shortest months possible (ie, ALL 28-days months, that's at least 16 full weeks, not 13 ; considering that in this case we're talking about three 31-days months (July, August, October) + a 30-day month, it's 17-18 weeks.

Add in to that two weeks of June, and AT LEAST one if not two in November, and you're looking at twenty weeks minimum for this new story.

Which is rather more than the 13 you suggest, and much closer to 2/3rds of Orange in length than the 1/3rd you suggest.

You're forgetting some stuff. Pokemon is also pre-empted one Thursday in July so TvTokyo can air the Deoxys movie again before the 8th movie comes out.

Likewise, we only have13 or 14 weeks because the Battle Frontier hasn't even started yet! The Oaks reuion episode and the Mt. Moon episode take up 2 weeks too you know, so I wasn't factoring them into the equation. We don't even know if they'll be another Kanto episode after those, so that may make the Frontier only 13 weeks.

And yes, this is all based on the assumption that D/P come out this November. If they don't, then this theory is all wrong.

But of course, I'm assuming that D/P will come out on time, I haven't heard anything about Gamefreaks delaying the game.

We have roughly 13-14 Thursdays left before November, factoring out the pre-empted Thursday and whatever Kanto episodes are left.

There is also bound to be another "rest" episode or two in Pallet after the Frontier is done. They always make those, look at the last two episodes of the Orange Islands and the last two Master Quest episodes. They'll make those for possible cast changes and the like.

You do realize that Ash doesn't even KNOW that the D/P region exists yet? Someone still has to tell him about it.

So overall, yes I assume the Frontier will only be 13 or 14 episodes. The ONLY way the Frontier will be a whole season is if D/P get delayed by a couple months, and I don't see that happening.

Last edited:
That is, ASSUMING the new arc is Battle Frontier and not Kanto.

You keep claiming it is, but I haven't seen you put forth one shred of evidence either way.

And last I checked, 20-3-1 = 16, which is STILL a WEE Bit more than 13.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom