• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Satoshi's last movie?

Rikki Kitsune

Memories are pearls! Friendship is a diamond!
Reaction score
I've been thinking this for quite a while now... even before the confirmation of MPM's existence lol.

I think there's a good possibility of we getting a movie to end Satoshi's story. Our Satoshi from anipoke, not I choose you Satoshi. We don't have a movie since Koko in 2020 and although it's COVID's fault too it's been a long time. It would be amazing and justified to exist a big theatrical movie to end Ash's story in a huge, impactful way. He's such an iconic character for a lot of people. Besides, anipoke movies always make decent to good numbers in Japan, too. And on top of that, it would justify why MPM episodes have been kinda underwhelming.

Thoughts?

I've thought of something similar but with Team Rocket, as unlike Ash, promotion about them leaving is pretty minimal. I think a "Pokemon the movie: Rocket" with Giovanni making a big evil plot (possibly related to the Miyamoto stuff), the TRio as protagonists and them having the saddest goodbye ever would attract a lot of milennial audience. But alas, they can't outshine the protagonist, right?

About Ash, yeah, a movie would sell well and could be announced right after the final episode airs, but I feel they would have saved Yuyama for that instead of ATBPM, and the plot would be hard to write as they don't like Ash aging and battle-wise or legendary-wise there isn't much new stuff he can do either. I'd like if if it existed though but sadly ATBPM covers that ground...on its own way.

That’d be really cool if this happened because Ash really deserves a great ending. Though, it just seems so unlikely like someone said as Yuyama is doing the last one.

It does seem to make sense though that ash will still be in the movies as no other character can really market the movies. (Probably with the exception of Charizard, Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja)

I think we will see Pokemon anime movies as of 2024- future. Reason why they stopped doing them was because of Covid-19. Now that society is stabilizing. I can see them making them again. I am thinking that AU Ash may star in them? Or main Ash. I don't see anyone else TBH.

I think a "Pokemon the movie: Rocket" with Giovanni making a big evil plot (possibly related to the Miyamoto stuff), the TRio as protagonists and them having the saddest goodbye ever would attract a lot of milennial audience.
Wow, that's actually an amazing idea. I would love to see this even if it's very unlikely.

Personally, if there is an upcoming movie to really end off Ash, I would have the movie take place years after the events of Ash becoming world champion. With Yuyama's comments, I take it this is more the end of the 10 year old Ash as we all know so much, but I don't think the end of Ash as a whole. You could make a story set years after with a teen/young adult Ash in a great event, similar to lets say Digimon Adventure Last Evolution.
The fact there has not been a Pokemon movie since Koko in 2020 makes me think there could be something going on behind the scenes. I think OLM since Koko wants to take a new approach with the movies, focusing on quality and not quantity.

The fact there has not been a Pokemon movie since Koko in 2020 makes me think there could be something going on behind the scenes. I think OLM since Koko wants to take a new approach with the movies, focusing on quality and not quantity.
That's exactly what I think. Being anipoke Satoshi, I choose you Satoshi or even a new approach altogether, I really think the next movie will be something huge!

That's exactly what I think. Being anipoke Satoshi, I choose you Satoshi or even a new approach altogether, I really think the next movie will be something huge!
Plus, I imagine TPC and AniPoke don't want to 'retire' Ash 100%. I take it they are ending him as a main character of the anime, but not entirely him. If there is way to go on with Ash without him as a main character of the anime, you can go on with him through specials or movies, the latter being the best way to tell more stories of Ash. Plus, Ash is more marketable with movies than lets going with a new character like Riko or Roy

I would love to see a movie set in the future when Ash is an adult. If it told us which pairing became canon and if everyone succeeded at their goals.

Otherwise it might be the same as the Aim to be a Pokémon Master and just focus on random Pokémon.

I really do not care for AU Ash. Why would I want to watch an Ash who doesn't have the experiences and Pokemon as our main version?

If they do make new movies with Ash as the protagonist, make it very clearly canon and a continuation of our main version.

What I think is more likely is one-off specials that are regular-episode length or something like Arceus Chronicles that is only 4 episodes long max.

Last edited:
What I think is more likely is one-off specials that are regular-episode length or something like Arceus Chronicles that is only 4 episodes long max.
It does make sense to do some sort of special because I feel like people are more likely to watch a show/multiple episodes.

I feel like the purpose of AU Ash was to make fun stories. I sometimes just enjoy reading Pokémon one-shot fanfics rather than just an entire series.

I thought that they basically wanted to separate the movies from the anime by creating AU Ash. Making the movies exist in their own continuity helped to make them feel more distinct to me and given the box office performances for the movies, maybe they thought it would help to make them more financially successful.

I've thought of something similar but with Team Rocket, as unlike Ash, promotion about them leaving is pretty minimal. I think a "Pokemon the movie: Rocket" with Giovanni making a big evil plot (possibly related to the Miyamoto stuff), the TRio as protagonists and them having the saddest goodbye ever would attract a lot of milennial audience. But alas, they can't outshine the protagonist, right?

To be honest, my millennial nostalgia tingle wouldn't stay tuned by Team Rocket's big evil plot, unless it involved Mewtwo as well. After so long, I can't take Team Rocket from the anime too seriously, and I don't even know if I want to see it.

However, if the movie was about the downfall of Team Rocket and how the legendary trio would handle it. You know, like in JN 95, but with a real concern to understand, scrutinize and get into the characters, I would sell a kidney to watch that.

It does make sense to do some sort of special because I feel like people are more likely to watch a show/multiple episodes.

I feel like the purpose of AU Ash was to make fun stories. I sometimes just enjoy reading Pokémon one-shot fanfics rather than just an entire series.
I think there are two reasons.
1) The box office performance of the films was dropping in Japan. What do you do when things are getting bad? Try something new or pander to nostalgia and we know what the Pokemon Company like to do. Hint, it's a region that starts with K and ends with O.
2) The size of the regular cast for the Sun and Moon seasons. The movies could be hit or miss on how they individually handled having three or four regular characters to account for (tellingly the manga adaption for Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel omits Serena, Clement and Bonnie with little meaningful change to the story) with Brock tending to draw the short straw. Trying to do an hour and a half long movie giving more than a handful of people something each to do, even if the films rotated one or two characters for focus wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world.

It's not like continuity was a huge challenge for the movies since it was largely keeping the teams of Ash and his friends consistent with where they were in the main anime at the time the movie released. Even in the more arc focused seasons the movies still worked as being stand-alone in terms of plot, maybe except for a couple of things about Volcanian and the Mechanical Marvel tying into XYZ (Ash-Greninja and Squishy going 100% forme).

To be honest, my millennial nostalgia tingle wouldn't stay tuned by Team Rocket's big evil plot, unless it involved Mewtwo as well. After so long, I can't take Team Rocket from the anime too seriously, and I don't even know if I want to see it.

However, if the movie was about the downfall of Team Rocket and how the legendary trio would handle it. You know, like in JN 95, but with a real concern to understand, scrutinize and get into the characters, I would sell a kidney to watch that.
I definitely would have like to see the anime to a Team Rocket civil war, the old guard with the TRio as well as Cassidy and Bass ("HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU IT'S BUTCH?!") against Matori's more ambitious faction. It's a perfect opportunity to delve into Giovanni as a character since he's almost always seen through the perspective of the TRio or in the context of them. We haven't seen the organisation as a whole do anything since Unova, and then it was since Johto, so having this criminal organisation actually do something large scale and criminal would be huge, like how they had Saffron City effectively locked down when occupying Silph Co in the Kanto games or hijacked the radio tower in the Johto games.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom