• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Saudi Arabia beheads woman convicted of 'sorcery'

vuvuzela2010

Reaction score
Woman convicted of 'sorcery' is beheaded in Saudi Arabia

A woman convicted of practising magic and sorcery has been executed by Saudi authorities.

The Saudi Interior Ministry says in a statement that the woman was beheaded today, but gave no details of her crime.

The London-based al-Hayat daily, however, quoted Abdullah al-Mohsen, chief of the religious police who arrested the woman, as saying she had tricked people into thinking she could treat illnesses, charging them $800 (£500) per session.

The newspaper said a female investigator followed the case up, and the woman was arrested in April 2009 and later convicted in a Saudi court.

It did not give the woman's name, but said she was in her 60s.

The execution brings the total to 76 this year in Saudi Arabia.

At least three have been women, and 11 were foreign nationals.

In September, a Sudanese man, Abdul Hamid bin Hussain bin Moustafa al-Fakki, was also put to death in Saudi Arabia for sorcery.

Amnesty International has called for the kingdom's government to establish an immediate moratorium on executions.

The crime of 'sorcery' is not defined in Saudi Arabian law but it has been used to punish people for the legitimate exercise of their human rights, including their right to freedom of expression, the charity said.
Words cannot describe how barbaric this is.

They're just getting more and more ridiculous. I'm embarrassed that they're a Muslim country, to be honest ._.

This is what happens when you have theocracy. A return to the dark ages.

No matter if sorcery was even real, nobody has a right to kill a person for it.
And then whole sorcery deal should've ended in the 1800's.

It's no more barbaric than capital punishment within first world nations, which more often than not include those who aren't conclusively proven to be guilty.

This is just horrible. It's as though we have returned back in time with the killing of those implied to be witches or in possessing of magical powers. I don't how severe this case is; however, this is just wrong.

Sometimes, I just never understand how we as humans work...

It's no more barbaric than capital punishment within first world nations, which more often than not include those who aren't conclusively proven to be guilty.

Yes, it actually is worse. It's much worse. First world nations don't kill people for sorcery. At least you have to be suspected of committing an actual crime in a first world nation.

It's not every day I advocate the death penalty. This is not one of those times either.

Seriously, just when I thought Saudi Arabia couldn't be more stuck in the 1500s.

Yes, it actually is worse. It's much worse. First world nations don't kill people for sorcery. At least you have to be suspected of committing an actual crime in a first world nation.
It's not much worse. It's a form of execution that's cheap and relatively painless if done by a skilled person. Our executions are incredibly painful and expensive.

Because your point was irrelevant to my own.

So basically you were trying to dodge the actual topic at hand. Look, if you're going to say you agree with what happened (for whatever reason...), at least admit it rather than dancing around.

This is what happens when you have theocracy. A return to the dark ages.
Except the Muslim world in the Dark Ages of Europe was a prosperous, enlightened society full of brilliant thinkers, inventors and scholars.

This... is just barbaric.

So basically you were trying to dodge the actual topic at hand. Look, if you're going to say you agree with what happened (for whatever reason...), at least admit it rather than dancing around.
No, I wasn't trying to "dodge" the topic. I simply don't believe the execution was any more barbaric than first-world executions. The reason behind it doesn't matter. For all we know she was a witch. I'm open-minded towards that possibility.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom