• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Scarlet/Violet DLC

Hell, I haven't even played through the Teal Mask at all yet. Was it really as underwhelming as people say?

In a way yes, but it depends on what you expect from a Pokémon DLC.

I really loved the DLC characters (Kieran, Carmine and Perrin), I prefer them to the central characters of the base game, with the exception, perhaps, of Arwen. However, the DLC's story, which is short, is quite simplistic and generic, and just an excuse to work on the introduced characters. In my opinion, the story is who is at the service of the sibling duo, and not the other way around.

On the other hand, despite the kitakami map being reasonably well constructed, with some interesting landmarks, and big, the game's content does not make good use of it. The story, despite trying to sell this proposal, does not actually invite us to explore the entire map nor are we well rewarded for doing so.

There are few genuinely new Pokémon and, personally, most of them, although linked to the plot, didn't interest me in the slightest. I don't deny that Ogerpon's terastalization, visually, is cool, but that's it.

Another issue is that the game does not add any new post-game activities, like the Max Lairs from The Crown Tundra. After finishing the DLC events, there is nothing left to do, other than the boring Ogre Oustin mini-game in which you can get a Shiny Munchlax.

Finally, I cannot help but highlight how shameful the kitakami festival is. An Indie studio would do a better characterization and presentation of the event.

Last edited:
Funny you mention that cuz according to the official influencer previews, Indigo Disk's NPCs overall are seemingly gonna be more competitive focused with different abilities and items
Well, if that's the case, then I'm glad that I am not going to bother with the DLC. The competitive scene has never interested me.

Funny you mention that cuz according to the official influencer previews, Indigo Disk's NPCs overall are seemingly gonna be more competitive focused with different abilities and items
Some have even said that the battles are all double battles.

I like the concept of battles being mostly double battles and almost competitive. I think they'll make a dent on my lvl 95 team and will be fun to play. But for the love of Arceus, please make them replayable. In this game alone we've had the league exam, gym leader rematches and the Kitakami clan as one-time only. It shouldn't be that hard to code and adds lots of replayability, but honestly I don't expect anything...

The areas look varied and interesting, it will be fun seeing all those regional forms and starters in the wild. It does looks like the cubes are just there for you to jump on them for the sake of it, I hope they do something else.

I like the concept of battles being mostly double battles and almost competitive. I think they'll make a dent on my lvl 95 team and will be fun to play. But for the love of Arceus, please make them replayable. In this game alone we've had the league exam, gym leader rematches and the Kitakami clan as one-time only. It shouldn't be that hard to code and adds lots of replayability, but honestly I don't expect anything...

The areas look varied and interesting, it will be fun seeing all those regional forms and starters in the wild. It does looks like the cubes are just there for you to jump on them for the sake of it, I hope they do something else.
I’m afraid that Game Freak might be dead set on Tera Raids being the only truly repayable activity in SV, all to give those games planned obsolescence to just “consume product and get excited for next product” since the only thing TPC cares about is merch sales and pleasing investors.

What sort of replay would you do, bearing in mind that's STILL more replay than most of the games have?
I got a couple of hundred hours (400 or so) in Scarlet/Violet. I'd love a big Battle Facility. Co-op multiplayer, different battle-styles, etc.

We had this in Emerald and Platinum; I want it back.

Tera Raids are cookie-cutter stress-fests and breeding gets boring, especially if there's no decent PvE mode instead of just multiplayer battles.

I got a couple of hundred hours (400 or so) in Scarlet/Violet. I'd love a big Battle Facility. Co-op multiplayer, different battle-styles, etc.

We had this in Emerald and Platinum; I want it back.

Tera Raids are cookie-cutter stress-fests and breeding gets boring, especially if there's no decent PvE mode instead of just multiplayer battles.
The only other repayable thing in Scarlet/Violet is the Ace Academy Tournament, which becomes very boring very quickly.

What sort of replay would you do,

Some kind of alternative quest that has you compete in ways other than standard battling such as Contests, Pokeathlon, and Pokestar Studios. Battle facilities with interesting twists on the battle formula instead of the same generic Singles/Doubles we've been doing for 20+ years. Side modes that involve deeper communication/socialization with other players such as Secret Bases, Sinnoh Underground, and Join Avenue. A lot of this kind of content has been going away and keeps getting stripped down more and more.

bearing in mind that's STILL more replay than most of the games have?

Is it though? It's just a short ~5 minute battle to catch a Pokemon with a different Tera type, and most of the time it isn't even fun or rewarding enough to be very engaging. Some of the sidequests I mentioned can keep you busy for hours.

What sort of replay would you do, bearing in mind that's STILL more replay than most of the games have?
Even something small like the Diglett side quest in the Isle of Armor might have added a lit more intrigue to the post game. The only thing we really got from the Teal Mask was the Kitakami Ogre Clan, which others have already said we can't refight.

Even something small like the Diglett side quest in the Isle of Armor might have added a lit more intrigue to the post game. The only thing we really got from the Teal Mask was the Kitakami Ogre Clan, which others have already said we can't refight.
Thinking about it, perhaps we might get some sort of post-game where we can catch Legendary/Mythical in the Indigo Disk like the Dynamax Adventures in the Crown Tundra. However, if that ends up being the case, it would just be more Raid Battles that people have already mentioned are a bit tedious and dull.

Some kind of alternative quest that has you compete in ways other than standard battling such as Contests, Pokeathlon, and Pokestar Studios. Battle facilities with interesting twists on the battle formula instead of the same generic Singles/Doubles we've been doing for 20+ years. Side modes that involve deeper communication/socialization with other players such as Secret Bases, Sinnoh Underground, and Join Avenue. A lot of this kind of content has been going away and keeps getting stripped down more and more.

Is it though? It's just a short ~5 minute battle to catch a Pokemon with a different Tera type, and most of the time it isn't even fun or rewarding enough to be very engaging. Some of the sidequests I mentioned can keep you busy for hours.
I do think part of the reason is no one ever appreciated them when we had them. I haven't seen a lot of people focus on the underground, or the secret bases, or any of the extra features save for battle tower or slightly contests. I would like most of this back but I don't think there's real fanfare for most of them to return. I think the trend of replayability based on the generations gimmick (Dynamax Adventures, Potential Tera Raid Adventure) will be the new standard going for a while.

EDIT: Small mention i would like to repeat. Battle Towers i see alot for, but never contests or Pokestar studios in such. I've seen more people not know or hate it, than actually wanting stuff like those back.

I do think part of the reason is no one ever appreciated them when we had them. I haven't seen a lot of people focus on the underground, or the secret bases, or any of the extra features save for battle tower or slightly contests. I would like most of this back but I don't think there's real fanfare for most of them to return. I think the trend of replayability based on the generations gimmick (Dynamax Adventures, Potential Tera Raid Adventure) will be the new standard going for a while.

I think they just focus on the Battle Tower and Contests because those are the most prevalent ones. When their specific games come up, I have seen praise for most of those features.

EDIT: Small mention i would like to repeat. Battle Towers i see alot for, but never contests or Pokestar studios in such. I've seen more people not know or hate it, than actually wanting stuff like those back.
So we’re stuck with planned obsolescence then? Great! /s

I do think part of the reason is no one ever appreciated them when we had them.
Without asking each individual that bought the games if they did those activities, we will know never if they were appreciated or not. And in my opinion devs should put content into the game (content that fits the game made within the constraints of the budget and time of course) because they want the game to have as much as content as possible, and not only putting content into the game if the majority will do it.

And even if only a minority of players actually plays that content, I have several games on Steam with content that only a fraction of the playerbase actually did based on the achievement completion percentage and that didn't stopped them from continuing to make similar content that only a smaller percentage of the playerbase actually engages with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom