• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Scarlet/Violet DLC

I disagree with this notion since none of the Paradox Pokémon have anything remotely to do with the Terastal phenomenon. Neither sets of Paradox Pokémon have any prominent crystalline features (unless you think those green things on Iron Thorns are crystals). I imagine that any potential Terastal forms would have more crystalline features, possibly either in the form of special armor or with palanquin to accompany their hats/crowns.

Of course they could always just give the DLC Paradox Pokémon more crystalline features, but I doubt we'll go that direction since they seem pretty set on the whole past/future aesthetic instead.

That's a given for any regional battle mechanic nowadays; doesn't stop Game Freak from making one-and-done designs though, especially when it comes to marketing. What else could Game Freak do with Terastal in a Terastal-centric DLC anyway?

I don't think they meant that literally, I think they just meant that Paradox Pokemon are already a sort of alternate form of existing Pokemon (they're counted as separate species, but with designs and appearances based off the original species) so it feels slightly redundant. Although to be fair Paradox Pokemon feel a bit redundant next to regional variants but I don't think they want to layer more on top of that because it makes the roster too convoluted.

Additionally, I think the decision to not have special Terastal forms is intentional because of how fans have received past gimmicks. Fans loved Megas, but they wanted even more Pokemon to have them which they apparently can't keep up with so they wanted future gimmicks to be accessible to any Pokemon. Then they had Z-moves, but they didn't involve form changes so the reception was a bit more mixed. Then they came up with Dynamax which was somewhat of a hybrid of Megas and Z-moves, but that felt like jack of all trades, master of none and there was more excitement for regional variants and evolutions. Now they're expanding on variants with convergent evos and Paradox Pokemon while using Terastal solely for type changes. I think if they're expanding on anything with the Terastal mechanic it's going to further the type change theme, not introduce form changes. I don't really have any ideas for how they could do that off the top of my head, but I don't see them diverging from that to make yet another form change mechanic.

As for Tera forms, due to continuity errors no Pokemon in the Paldea Pokedex can get them. They'll be exclusive to Pokemon that are not currently in Scarlet and Violet right now.
As if Game Freak needs an excuse to make new forms. Besides, it could easily be treated as a new discovery rather than something that's already been established to exist.
I don't think they meant that literally, I think they just meant that Paradox Pokemon are already a sort of alternate form of existing Pokemon (they're counted as separate species, but with designs and appearances based off the original species) so it feels slightly redundant. Although to be fair Paradox Pokemon feel a bit redundant next to regional variants but I don't think they want to layer more on top of that because it makes the roster too convoluted.

Additionally, I think the decision to not have special Terastal forms is intentional because of how fans have received past gimmicks. Fans loved Megas, but they wanted even more Pokemon to have them which they apparently can't keep up with so they wanted future gimmicks to be accessible to any Pokemon. Then they had Z-moves, but they didn't involve form changes so the reception was a bit more mixed. Then they came up with Dynamax which was somewhat of a hybrid of Megas and Z-moves, but that felt like jack of all trades, master of none and there was more excitement for regional variants and evolutions. Now they're expanding on variants with convergent evos and Paradox Pokemon while using Terastal solely for type changes. I think if they're expanding on anything with the Terastal mechanic it's going to further the type change theme, not introduce form changes. I don't really have any ideas for how they could do that off the top of my head, but I don't see them diverging from that to make yet another form change mechanic.
I understand what you are trying to say, and for the most part I agree. However, I'm looking at things more from a marketing prospective than anything practical. As for what I mean about Terastal forms, perhaps "alternate design" is a little bit of a stretch from what I had in mind. I was thinking more along the lines of pieces/full suit of armor accompanying the Tera Jewel (the hats/crowns) that reflects the change to a dual type rather than a drastic change to the Pokémon's biology like the previous gimmick forms. Of course, in order to balance things out, maybe one of the previous STABs could go away if four STAB bonuses is too much for the meta game.

I'd like more new mons/forms beyond the 3 that have already been teased

While I liked the Sw/Sh DLC, one of my biggest gripes was the promise of "more galarian forms" only for it to be the slowbrow line and birds which we already saw in the reveal trailer. I'd like a solid 10 or so new paradox mons or something

I'd like more new mons/forms beyond the 3 that have already been teased

While I liked the Sw/Sh DLC, one of my biggest gripes was the promise of "more galarian forms" only for it to be the slowbrow line and birds which we already saw in the reveal trailer. I'd like a solid 10 or so new paradox mons or something

They don't really seem to like having 10 or more new Pokemon outside of a new generation game. USUM just had 5, LGPE just had Meltan/Melmetal, SwSh DLC just had 5, and LA just had 7 (note that this does not include new forms such as Necrozma's, Origin Form Dialga/Palkia, or regional variants). 10 would be the most I'd expect in terms of new Pokemon.

With all the hints throughout the game it's sure it will happen. As to what it could include/my wishlist:
  • South Kalos. I kinda want it included so the speculation can finally be over, otherwise next generation could take place in Jupiter and people will still be expecting South Kalos.
  • In all seriousness, I hope it's a new zone of Spain that wasn't explored, and which has at least one city. Cities in Paldea were mostly urbanized, so maybe we could see something more artistic and hippie? Also, it should have a bullfighting arena or stadium.
  • A jungle biome, it's wild we still don't have one on its pure glory. Or a volcano one with rivers of lava, crossing them could be a new ability for Miraidon/Koraidon.
  • Battle Tower.
  • Nemona and Penny's parents were mentioned during the story, so we could meet them.
  • And talking about the story, new Team Star bases ruled by someone who didn't like Penny's change of heart and new Titans who emerged after the opening of Area Zero could be the way for those features to return.
  • Customization being as expanded as in the past. It would cause some controversy as to why it wasn't in the base game but you know Game Freak likes to take that kind of risks.
  • Regional forms. While Paradox forms take their place in marketing, it would be weird if the whole generation only had 2, which I don't believe they'd have even introduced if the plan wasn't expand on them later. For that same reason, I don't see Tera forms happening.

I'm not expecting to see anything Kalos-related whatsoever. Right now it's Johto's turn to be revisited, so I expect a lot of Johto connections.

I'm not expecting to see anything Kalos-related whatsoever. Right now it's Johto's turn to be revisited, so I expect a lot of Johto connections.
What, are you thinking another Legends-style game with Johto? Why can't they do both? Johto's had five games to its name already, while Kalos has only had two. I think Kalos needs the attention/development more.
With all the hints throughout the game it's sure it will happen. As to what it could include/my wishlist:
  • South Kalos. I kinda want it included so the speculation can finally be over, otherwise next generation could take place in Jupiter and people will still be expecting South Kalos.
  • In all seriousness, I hope it's a new zone of Spain that wasn't explored, and which has at least one city. Cities in Paldea were mostly urbanized, so maybe we could see something more artistic and hippie? Also, it should have a bullfighting arena or stadium.
  • A jungle biome, it's wild we still don't have one on its pure glory. Or a volcano one with rivers of lava, crossing them could be a new ability for Miraidon/Koraidon.
  • Battle Tower.
  • Nemona and Penny's parents were mentioned during the story, so we could meet them.
  • And talking about the story, new Team Star bases ruled by someone who didn't like Penny's change of heart and new Titans who emerged after the opening of Area Zero could be the way for those features to return.
  • Customization being as expanded as in the past. It would cause some controversy as to why it wasn't in the base game but you know Game Freak likes to take that kind of risks.
  • Regional forms. While Paradox forms take their place in marketing, it would be weird if the whole generation only had 2, which I don't believe they'd have even introduced if the plan wasn't expand on them later. For that same reason, I don't see Tera forms happening.
It would honestly be so great to see Gamefreak incorporate Kalos into SV a la HGSS with Kanto. But, seeing as how they haven't done anything of that magnitude in over 12 years (technically 22 years since HGSS, by its nature of being a remake, was built on the foundation of the original GS,) and without Satoru Iwata's guidance and heart (RIP :cry:) I don't see it happening.

What, are you thinking another Legends-style game with Johto? Why can't they do both? Johto's had five games to its name already, while Kalos has only had two. I think Kalos needs the attention/development more.
Johto, aside from the VC releases, hasn't been seen since 2009 on the original Nintendo DS. Johto needs the attention the most because we've gone the longest without seeing it. We haven't even seen it in full 3D yet.

Okay, so after a little bit of thought, I think I found a decent alternative to my special Terastal form idea while still being connected to Terastal in some manner beyond just giving us more Paradox Pokémon and would give the DLC more designs to market at the same time: What if we got brand new species directly based on the Tera Jewels (the official term for the crowns/hats)?

Okay, let me explain. Let's look at the Pokédex entry for Glimmora in Pokémon Violet:

Glimmora's Violet Entry said:
Glimmora's petals are made of crystallized poison energy. It has recently become evident that these petals resemble Tera Jewels.

This got me thinking: if one line of Pokémon could potentially have a connection to the Tera Jewels, then why can't we get Pokémon with a more blatant connection to those Jewels as well? We already have a few special designs that look like they could be depictions of creatures in their own right among the different Tera Jewel designs (mainly the Dark-type Tera Jewel). It would also take less work for Game Freak to create the designs since they are already partially/fully implemented as the different Tera Jewels; you would just need to adjust some of them to be more creature-like. Heck, you could probably combine them more character-looking designs with the object-looking ones if eighteen new DLC species designs is too much. Add a signature move to each one that reacts differently depending on if Terastal is active and you have the perfect DLC marketing tool!

Okay, so after a little bit of thought, I think I found a decent alternative to my special Terastal form idea while still being connected to Terastal in some manner beyond just giving us more Paradox Pokémon and would give the DLC more designs to market at the same time: What if we got brand new species directly based on the Tera Jewels (the official term for the crowns/hats)?

Okay, let me explain. Let's look at the Pokédex entry for Glimmora in Pokémon Violet:

This got me thinking: if one line of Pokémon could potentially have a connection to the Tera Jewels, then why can't we get Pokémon with a more blatant connection to those Jewels as well? We already have a few special designs that look like they could be depictions of creatures in their own right among the different Tera Jewel designs (mainly the Dark-type Tera Jewel). It would also take less work for Game Freak to create the designs since they are already partially/fully implemented as the different Tera Jewels; you would just need to adjust some of them to be more creature-like. Heck, you could probably combine them more character-looking designs with the object-looking ones if eighteen new DLC species designs is too much. Add a signature move to each one that reacts differently depending on if Terastal is active and you have the perfect DLC marketing tool!
Please no. No more temporary game-exclusive forms.

Glimmora's uniqueness shouldn't be washed-out, either.

Scarlet and Violet are about Paldea. Therefore, the most logical assumption is that any new areas unlocked by DLC will be extensions of Paldea. I'm going to keep saying this: we won't see Kalos again until the XY remakes, so keep the hype train in the station until at least 2026.

Scarlet and Violet are about Paldea. Therefore, the most logical assumption is that any new areas unlocked by DLC will be extensions of Paldea. I'm going to keep saying this: we won't see Kalos again until the XY remakes, so keep the hype train in the station until at least 2026.
Who says we’ll even get Kalos remakes. For all we know, they might just give us a remaster and never expand upon it.

Who says we’ll even get Kalos remakes. For all we know, they might just give us a remaster and never expand upon it.
Kalos remakes are far more likely than seeing it in Scarlet and Violet DLC. Besides, if you're really that eager to revisit Kalos, you should want it to be its own game. A DLC side quest won't do it justice.

Kalos remakes are far more likely than seeing it in Scarlet and Violet DLC. Besides, if you're really that eager to revisit Kalos, you should want it to be its own game. A DLC side quest won't do it justice.

Neither would a remake like BDSP, and my inner cynic suspect that will be the treatment XY will get. As for a Legends style game, it is too early to tell if that will be a regular thing.

----

I have reasons why people would think Kalos themed DLC is even remotely possible. The most obvious one besides sheer proximity being all the loose ends (besides maybe the Ghost Girl). Namely:

1. The Power Plant
  2. Team Flare's raison d'etre (specifically why did Lysandre became a man that thinks killing everyone is the ideal solution)
  3. Volcanion
  4. Zygarde (and its connection to Xerneas and Yveltal)
  5. And "Southern Kalos"
The thing is it is possible that they would be addressed in other media and some already did. Lysandre's motives and Zygarde were already fleshed out in the anime (questionable canocity aside) and with Masters getting a Team Flare story soon, those details might be fully canonized. The Power Plant seems pretty unlikely and the extra entrances might be cut by the devs of any hypothetical remake (it's possible, even BDSP made some minor changes).

Volcanion is a trickier subject, as the anime usually filled in the blanks with Mythcials and Legendaries (again to dubious canoncity, but such details were canonized in the games later. With Mewtwo's associations with Giovanni being a good example as of USUM and Masters) but there are some mysteries that not even it solved and Volcanion seems like one such mystery.

This leaves Sothern Kalos. Perosnally I'm expecting it to be segmented off into its own Region to explain why we couldn't travel there in XY and also to bring in more in line with the Isle of Armor DLC (there is a precedent in the Sevii Islands, and arguable the Battle Zone)

I am in the camp that wants Kalos DLC but I am aware that any lore benefits could possible be handled by Masters. That said it and the depths of the Great Crater remain the most obvious settings for DLC

Neither would a remake like BDSP, and my inner cynic suspect that will be the treatment XY will get. As for a Legends style game, it is too early to tell if that will be a regular thing.

Fair assumption considering the last three remakes have been fairly conservative when it comes to content. Legends (or a spiritual successor to the Legends series) is probably our only hope of getting the Z content Kalos got robbed of though, they otherwise have demonstrated a relative unwillingness to include any kind of significant changes to the content since BW2 (with ORAS being the only game that even came close, but that still largely ignored Emerald content so you can't really count that game either). If they don't continue with anything remotely resembling a Legends game and all they want is remakes, Kalos is pretty much screwed.

I have reasons why people would think Kalos themed DLC is even remotely possible. The most obvious one besides sheer proximity being all the loose ends (besides maybe the Ghost Girl). Namely:

1. The Power Plant
  2. Team Flare's raison d'etre (specifically why did Lysandre became a man that thinks killing everyone is the ideal solution)
  3. Volcanion
  4. Zygarde (and its connection to Xerneas and Yveltal)
  5. And "Southern Kalos"

"Loose ends" is something they don't seem to care about. Heck, SM had similar "loose ends" and they didn't do squat to fix anything that felt incomplete in USUM. This all amounts to a hill of beans as far as Game Freak's concerned. Meanwhile there's much more going against revisiting Kalos right now, most of which is more relevant to Game Freak's decision making:

1. They're currently marketing a new region with new features, new characters, etc. Bringing back an old region that has totally different plot and gameplay elements overcomplicates things for both the players and developers.
2. Kalos is nearly 10 years old and most players have probably forgotten about it. It's going to be difficult to market such a game when the original experience is that far forgotten (this is likely why they chose to release BDSP alongside LA).
3. Adding just Southern Kalos is a slippery slope. If you just include this part of the region, players are going to wonder why we can't explore the rest of Kalos, why we can't Mega Evolve, where's all of the Kalos characters, etc. Then you'd get into the mess of exploring an entirely separate region like GSCHGSS.

Honestly the people wanting Kalos to reappear are just grasping at straws at this point. I get it, Kalos got shafted and it's disappointing, but the door has long slammed shut on any kind of return to Kalos and they're extremely unlikely (like, less than a 1% chance) to open it back up until it's Kalos' turn for remakes. For the sake of your and others' sanity, please just let it go.

This leaves Sothern Kalos. Perosnally I'm expecting it to be segmented off into its own Region to explain why we couldn't travel there in XY and also to bring in more in line with the Isle of Armor DLC (there is a precedent in the Sevii Islands, and arguable the Battle Zone)

I am in the camp that wants Kalos DLC but I am aware that any lore benefits could possible be handled by Masters. That said it and the depths of the Great Crater remain the most obvious settings for DLC

Now this is the one thing I could see happening, they could make up for Southern Kalos not being in XY by making it its own region in the future. Other IRL countries have been split into two or more regions, so they could get away with this if they wanted to go that route. I still have a feeling they won't do this because they don't like doing this much (the only exceptions have been Japan, which was early in the series, and the U.S., which is huge).

Fair enough. If recent releases had taught me anything, we shouldn't be expecting anything more than the bare minimum.

Now this is the one thing I could see happening, they could make up for Southern Kalos not being in XY by making it its own region in the future. Other IRL countries have been split into two or more regions, so they could get away with this if they wanted to go that route. I still have a feeling they won't do this because they don't like doing this much (the only exceptions have been Japan, which was early in the series, and the U.S., which is huge).

And the US' case is complicated as one of those three regions being apocrypcal at best and another one being based on a state that is geologically and culturally separate from the mainland.

I'm just wanting to see some specific Pokémon species returned so I can perfect my team. It won't be truly complete without the specific talents of Mantine, and then Flygon + Metagross would be ideal optional add-ons if I feel the need. Dexit as a whole almost always leaves my teams feeling at a permanent 95% thanks to something being frustratingly absent.

Anyone want to predict what Pokemon will be added to the DLC? I'm thinking something like this:

New Pokemon:
Beast trio ancient Paradox (Scarlet)
Muskedeer trio future Paradox (Violet)
Disc Pokemon
1-2 additional Paradox Pokemon per version
1 new Paldea variant and/or convergent evo

Old Pokemon:
Johto starters
Unova starters
Kalos starters
Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill
Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot