• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Scarlet/Violet DLC

I'm not expecting a school break/graduation DLC unless they literally lock you out of the DLC content until you do absolutely everything that the base game has to offer in order to avoid creating a plot hole.

I've seen a theory that speculates the "Disk Pokémon" mentioned in the Scarlet and Violet Books could be based on a mythological dragon from southern France, which could hint at a Kalos connection, but we'll see.

I speculate we'll be seeing announcements of DLC on Pokemon Day. I look forward to seeing what they're coming out with.

For me, I would think that the direction would take our protagonist away from school life. One reason I say this, and it may seem silly but when you go to the clothing shops, you'll notice that there are greyed out icons for all of the other outfit pieces we currently can't change. Would they introduce a full game's worth of clothes in DLC? I don't know. That seems like a lot, but I'm kinda hoping. The existence of the greyed out icons don't guarantee anything, but really, why are they there if they're not going to be utilized?

I speculate we'll be seeing announcements of DLC on Pokemon Day. I look forward to seeing what they're coming out with.

For me, I would think that the direction would take our protagonist away from school life. One reason I say this, and it may seem silly but when you go to the clothing shops, you'll notice that there are greyed out icons for all of the other outfit pieces we currently can't change. Would they introduce a full game's worth of clothes in DLC? I don't know. That seems like a lot, but I'm kinda hoping. The existence of the greyed out icons don't guarantee anything, but really, why are they there if they're not going to be utilized?
I think that it's just reused assets from Sword and Shield. I'm not expecting the DLC to shift away from school life unless they force you to finish nearly everything in the main story in order to start the DLC story in order to prevent plot holes.

Last edited:
I think that it's just reused assets from Sword and Shield. I'm not expecting the DLC to shift away from school life unless they force you to finish nearly everything in the main story in order to start the DLC story in order to prevent plot holes.
As much as I want it to be something more, I can agree on it being a reused interface from SwSh. As for whether or not the DLC will move away from the school setting, or at least have a story that treats you as if you’ve beaten the game, I can see at least a portion of the DLC (if not the DLC as a whole) requiring the main story to be completed first before having access to it.

The thing about the Galar DLC that assumes you haven’t finished the story (at least as far as the Isle of Armor is concerned) could have been because part of it was cut out of the main campaign as was initially supposed to be a part of the base game, but had to be pushed back to DLC. At the very least that’s probably what happened with the Isle of Armor through various mechanics and how the characters on the Isle of Armor treat you. In addition, the main campaign of the Galar games didn’t have a lot going for it as it was a fairly linear and simple experience. Having the DLC be accessible to everyone before the end game generally gives players more to do in an otherwise content-dry setting, and it didn’t interfere with the main storyline

When it comes to whether or not Paldea will follow suit, there doesn’t seem to be anything that suggests something could have been cut out of the story that assumes you may not have completed it, especially since all of the story paths lead into one final climax. There’s three different narratives and the classes at the school. If we ended up end up with a story that assumes you haven’t completed the game, it would have to be completely devoid of anything connected to the main campaign because otherwise the climax wouldn’t be nearly as satisfactory because one of your in-game quests doesn’t lead to anything substantial.

Also, I don’t see how there can be anything further done with the school that treats you like you haven’t had any classes in it, so pre-story additional school content doesn’t make a lot of sense.

You're not getting out of a school uniform unless you graduate in the DLC content, which I consider extremely unlikely since you've only just started attending the academy in the story. It's specifically said in writing at the library's Academy Rules and Regulations book that "Students shall wear their academy-provided uniforms at all times." and the treasure hunt event which even lets you wander Paldea at all is held as an academy venture, so this is something I will rule out with 1,000% confidence. The best you're gonna get is more alternate uniform styles beyond the four seasons sets.
On the topic of academy rules, I must remind you all that Clavell only overlooked your rule-breaking choice to enter the Great Crater of Paldea this time because you helped prevent an ecological calamity. In canon, it's all but outright stated that you're not supposed to be going back in there.

I do hope there's no South Kalos. That poor region became the neglected bastard child of the family in its own dang generation thanks to glorious ass Hoenn and the wrong serpent dragon getting too much spotlight. It doesn't also need to be reduced to a mere appendage of Paldea on top of that. I'd prefer we get an independent Pokémon world Occitania for this DLC if it spares Kalos further marginalization from Game Freak (and I see no reason why Pokémon's Occitania shouldn't be an independent entity from Pokémon's France when Pokémon's Japan isn't unified like our Japan, and when Pokémon's Arizona and Florida, those being Orre and Alola, are also separate polities from Pokémon's New York/New Jersey, that being Unova).
If we want more Kalos, we should be demanding an actual Kalos region game. A side gig in another game's DLC is not enough to magically fix the atrocious lack of care it got in the generation that was supposed to feature it.

You're not getting out of a school uniform unless you graduate in the DLC content, which I consider extremely unlikely since you've only just started attending the academy in the story. It's specifically said in writing at the library's Academy Rules and Regulations book that "Students shall wear their academy-provided uniforms at all times." and the treasure hunt event which even lets you wander Paldea at all is held as an academy venture, so this is something I will rule out with 1,000% confidence. The best you're gonna get is more alternate uniform styles beyond the four seasons sets.
On the topic of academy rules, I must remind you all that Clavell only overlooked your rule-breaking choice to enter the Great Crater of Paldea this time because you helped prevent an ecological calamity. In canon, it's all but outright stated that you're not supposed to be going back in there.

I do hope there's no South Kalos. That poor region became the neglected bastard child of the family in its own dang generation thanks to glorious ass Hoenn and the wrong serpent dragon getting too much spotlight. It doesn't also need to be reduced to a mere appendage of Paldea on top of that. I'd prefer we get an independent Pokémon world Occitania for this DLC if it spares Kalos further marginalization from Game Freak (and I see no reason why Pokémon's Occitania shouldn't be an independent entity from Pokémon's France when Pokémon's Japan isn't unified like our Japan, and when Pokémon's Arizona and Florida, those being Orre and Alola, are also separate polities from Pokémon's New York/New Jersey, that being Unova).
If we want more Kalos, we should be demanding an actual Kalos region game. A side gig in another game's DLC is not enough to magically fix the atrocious lack of care it got in the generation that was supposed to feature it.
I agree. Unless the PC either graduates or gets expelled during the DLC story I'm not expecting any non-uniform clothing options. And I'm also not expecting a return to Kalos either.

That’s a great point. However, I can still see the DLC adding more uniform variety to commemorate some sort of milestone/accomplishment you have achieved. Think of it as proof of reaching a higher rank within the school. At the very least, I could imagine giving up jackets, vests, and/or hoodies to wear over them as a sort of compromise between customization and staying lore-compliant; kind of like what we see with Arven and (presumably) Penny.

I'm not going to set my expectations too high for it, because as others said, there is the whole Academy wants you to wear the uniform at all times, but literally one of my biggest hopes for this DLC is being able to get out of the damn uniform and into some normal clothes. It's such a silly little thing that we have to wear the uniform the whole time. There is even a workaround for the in-universe lore. How about when you're not wearing the uniform, there's a pin you have to wear on your backpack, so you're always repping that school spirit or whatever the reason they want you to wear it. Gosh please just give me clothes so I can make use of all the cute accessories!

Ehm, besides that, one of my biggest hopes for this supposed DLC is more convergent Pokemon. This is such a cool concept and it feels like they barely touched it. We only got two new lines with its introduction, which felt so weird. Like I know they wanted to put a bit more of a focus on the paradox 'mons, but then why even bring them in if you're only going to make two lines? I'd also like more regional forms, because we only got a couple of those as well this generation, but if I had to choose one it would be more convergent species just because there are only two of them in total.

I'm pretty sure they'll announce DLC in the presents, even if it is just a tease. After all, they were clearly not ready to show off SV last year around this time (since we didn't start actively getting news till August) but they did anyway. So I'm sure we'll see something of it, though I hope we get something new with it, whether it's a new place we get to explore, or a new 'mon/form. Just something.

Also some old Pokemon were shown to be obtainable in the DLC:

The Teal Mask:
Chingling
Shiftry
Yanma
Vikavolt
Kantonian Ninetales

The Indigo Disk:
Zebstrika
Alcremie
Whimsicott
Metagross
Dewgong

Notably Zebstrika is making its first appearance in the Switch games, hopefully some of the other Pokemon that have yet to debut on the Switch make their appearances in these DLC as well.

I'm in love with most of the new Pokemon, save for those abominations whose statues we saw. The new legendary trio has got to be some of the ugliest designs I've ever seen.

Also, why is there an ancient Japan analog directly north of a Spain analog, anyway?

TBH, I feel like the area everyone thought was DLC bait is just a dummied out area or related to the second DLC. Because I always thought it was weird that you could see nothing but water over the landmass when you climbed to the Tallest Peak in Paldea.

i think what made swsh's dlc a bit more engaging to folks is seeing actual gameplay previews of it. seeing mustard and the new rivals of isle of armor and then calyrex in crown tundra and news of dynamax adventures, that sorta thing iirc. meanwhile we've pretty much been shown some good artwork, but nothing in the form of gameplay previews, which might've been a letdown to some folks who want to visually know what to expect.

i'm not disappointed.... yet. cautiously optimistic is how i'm feeling rn. hopefully we'll hear more about the dlc in the coming months and see what it's all about.

i think what made swsh's dlc a bit more engaging to folks is seeing actual gameplay previews of it. seeing mustard and the new rivals of isle of armor and then calyrex in crown tundra and news of dynamax adventures, that sorta thing iirc. meanwhile we've pretty much been shown some good artwork, but nothing in the form of gameplay previews, which might've been a letdown to some folks who want to visually know what to expect.

i'm not disappointed.... yet. cautiously optimistic is how i'm feeling rn. hopefully we'll hear more about the dlc in the coming months and see what it's all about.

You're misremembering this slightly. The initial trailer didn't have gameplay either, it just had concept art that showed some of the areas, Pokemon, and characters that will appear. We got more trailers later on that confirmed gameplay details such as Dynamax Adventures. Here's the SwSh Expansion Pass reveal trailer for comparison:

Also keep in mind that these DLC packs are launching later than SwSh's, with the first pack not coming until the Fall whereas IoA launched in June. So they have more time to reveal that kind of content. We'll probably get the kind of concrete details you're looking for in May/June as we typically do for new games.

I wonder if they are trying to appeal to the Japanese fandom with the DLC. I remember there being a lot of complaints in Japan that SV was yet another game not set in Japan.

Perhaps this is how they will introduce the Hisuian forms? What happened to the time travel element anyway? Neither of the new DLC stories seem to revolve around it?

Kind of weird that the DLC about the crystal legendary takes place in another region. It seemed so heavily linked to the lore of Paldea? I was hoping we would either get to travel to the past/future or maybe establish a connection to Kalos/the tragedy with the ultimate weapon. Unless this mystery blueberry school is in Kalos? Are Arven and the professor (the one who isn't dead or a robot) even relevant anymore?

Back
Top Bottom