• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Scarlet/Violet DLC

Will the stories of the DLC be separate from each other and the base game?
My guess is that the Teal Mask storyline in Kitakami will definitely be separate from the base game's main story given that they advertised being able to go there as soon as you're enrolled in the academy. However, given that the Indigo Disk storyline directly deals with the contents of Heath's journal and the questions pondered by it at the end, Blueberry Academy is likely to be either post game exclusive or split into pre-game and post-game segments in order to directly tie the DLC to the main game's plot. At the very least, I hope the Indigo Disk storyline intersects with the main plot of Paldea. It would just feel weird for the conclusion of Heath's Scarlet/Violet Book and the Terastal phenomenon to not only be finished outside of Paldea but be a completely separate narrative from everything before it.

While Galar's story was separate from the DLC, it was mostly a self-contained narrative, with the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra simply gave some some additional backstory that ultimately didn't change anything fundamental about how the main game handled its (admittedly few) plot points. In contrast, Paldea's three separate storylines not only converged into a single climax, but also gave a clear sequel hook. For Game Freak to make both SV DLCs self-contained from the main plot despite dealing with aspects of that sequel hook would not only ruin a decent narrative through plot holes, but completely throw away the characters and meaningfulness of the base game as well. If they were going to throw those previous elements immediately out of the way, then why doesn't Game Feak just make a completely new game in the first place?

That's why I really hope the Blueberry Academy storyline (or at least other aspects of the Indigo Disk portion of the the DLC) isn't something that's completely divorced from the main game. It would just make everything else that came before it completely pointless otherwise!

Considering most true leaks come from people supposedly testing the game...maybe they need a better vetting process?

Because if it's true and the play testers are those leaking game info, then maybe the full blame isn't completely on Game Freak and Nintendo since they probably never got the needed feedback from the testers that were too busy making notes about what the new Pokémon are based on for internet points.
That's assuming most if not all testers are not doing their job and are instead busy taking notes the whole day.

Nah, that's just unlikely and shifting blame. Even Khu said the game was in a bad state months in advance. The problems were obvious.

@Greninjaman The two characters are centred in both posters, though. And they're from that new academy. I suppose they're important in both stories, and not just a cameo in one of the two.

Last edited:
That's assuming most if not all testers are not doing their job and are instead busy taking notes the whole day.

Nah, that's just unlikely and shifting blame. Even Khu said the game was in a bad state months in advance. The problems were obvious.

@Greninjaman The two characters are centred in both posters, though. And they're from that new academy. I suppose they're important in both stories, and not just a cameo in one of the two.

I also have a feeling one part of the DLC focuses more on Kieran (DLC one), while the DLC two focuses more on Carmine.

I am genuinely interested to see what the DLC is about to bring. I did not really enjoy Sword/Shield DLC's back then. But the players who played the DLC's kept praising the content and said it enriched the original game in a much better state, so I purchased Sword/Shield DLC's back then as everyone seemed to be happy with it for the most part. It has been over a year, and I finished the first one in a really really long time, but the second part where I am supposed to follow the footsteps and find one of the Regi's was just so boring that I never finished that part. But I didn't enjoy the Sw/Sh games overall anyway.

I just hope that this time the DLC's bring out the best of Paldea. I really enjoyed the games, and I would be the happiest person if the DLC's brought out the same vibe as the original content of the games did.

Is it possible that they can’t fix the issues without remaking the whole game? As an IT major (going for a Master’s degree) currently having a course on software testing, one of the most important concepts is that the further along you are in development the harder it is to test and maintain issues with the software. It’s possible these issues are (unfortunately) baked into the game’s code by now. Or am I mistaken?
That's an interesting way to look at it, but not entirely true as there are hundreds of games that had a very messy release period due to being "incomplete" or appearing "unfinished" in regards to either gameplay or performance, and they have all in some instance had extremely heavy updates, and workarounds to make them better experiences, and the developers for the most part were very transparent in dealing with it.
So again, if they have pretty much all the money in world (especially in regards to what most franchises have, although I'm not sure what percentage of that GF may get to make a game from the ground up), there is still no excuse.
There is no excuse for poor PR, and that is what has happened. If they acknowledged the issues in the direct, even with JUST a sentence, a lot of people would feel way better about incoming DLC. Right now, a lot of people are feeling betrayed because they can't be honest on camera, that's all it would of took lol.

Interesting thing here

1677931432615.png
1677931523837.png

The Strange Souvenir depicts a guardian deity from Alola (see its SM description). It's a very odd reference to all the Tapus. Mind you, they were only a rough idea back in 2013.

According to the Japanese site, the second part of DLC can only be unlocked after you've finished both the main story and first part of the DLC.

I'm not expecting any non-uniform outfit choices for the DLC. And I believe that Kitakami itself is located far away from Paldea (and actually closer to the first four regions).

Hmmm, Blueberry Academy is underwater... Atlantis connection again?

Also the rival is a Japanese person who dislikes people from other regions. Are they poking fun of the Japanese fans who were mad at SV for featuring non-Japanese characters? lol
I think it might be more of a not-too-subtle "take that!" to real-world Japan's xenophobia issues.

Also...weren't Iono, Rika, and Larry Japanese? If anything, regardless of the setting, the cast of SV was probably even more diverse than the other non-Japanese region games. So these hypothetical people who hated the lack of Japanese people they're supposedly making fun of completely missed 2 of the gym leaders and an elite 4 member.

Either way, it's probably a subtle xenophobia thing. But that depends on if Carmine and Kieran are even Japanese to begin with (they sound more Galarian given Kieran's name). The field trip sounds like it's attended by multiple schools.

Also...weren't Iono, Rika, and Larry Japanese? If anything, regardless of the setting, the cast of SV was probably even more diverse than the other non-Japanese region games. So these hypothetical people who hated the lack of Japanese people they're supposedly making fun of completely missed 2 of the gym leaders and an elite 4 member.

Either way, it's probably a subtle xenophobia thing. But that depends on if Carmine and Kieran are even Japanese to begin with (they sound more Galarian given Kieran's name). The field trip sounds like it's attended by multiple schools.
When and where were those three stated to be Japanese? We know Carmine and Kieran are from Kitakami, so that all but says they are. Also, what does Kieran's name imply?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom