• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Sceptile vs Torterra

Envoy

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
Sceptile vs Torterra

sceptile.png
VS
torterra.png

Hoenn versus Sinnoh. Sceptile and Torterra were arguably the two most popular Grass Starters before Jaroda showed up.

They're also pretty much on opposite sides of the spectrum. Sceptile is mono typed, fast, has a very wide movepool and prefers Special attacks whereas Torterra is dual typed, bulky, has a decent to shallow movepool and prefers physical attacks.

Opposites indeed.

Who do you prefer?

Who's more useful?

Who'd win in a fight?

I'm inclined to give my vote to Sceptile here. He wins by a microscopic margin. Mostly, I just like it's typing better and it does break the Grass Starter mold by being fast isntead of bulky. Torterra just goes back to that mold. Also, Sceptile would win in a fight hands down, so yeah. Still, gotta love Torterra and it's world turtle myth.

Other Sceptile matchups:

Venusaur vs Sceptile

Meganium vs Sceptile

Sceptile vs Jaroda

Other Torterra Starter matchups:

Venusaur vs Torterra

Meganium vs Torterra

Torterra vs Jaroda

Last edited:
Sceptile. That fast Choice Specs Leaf Storm has really been something to watch out for in UU.

Who do you prefer?
The Geico Gecko.
Who's more useful?
The green one.
Who'd win in a fight?
The Gecko.

Sceptile gets my vote. Torterra is still pretty awesome though.

I've always liked Sceptile's design. His speed helps, as well.

Sceptile. He's my favorite grass starter, he's super fast and pretty strong.

Sceptile still is the most popular grass type starter, even with Jaroda.

I chose Sceptile, needless to say.

Torterra. For finally making me respect Grass types, and since it has an awesome typing.

Torterra, by both design and usefulness. Besides, I'm a fan of the "world turtle" idea, and I never really had a fondness for Sceptile.

Who's more useful? Torterra, because it can be a tank and supporter

Who would win? Sceptile. Hell yes

Which one I prefer? Tie :B

for this one im gonna have to go with sceptile in terms of beating torterra and overall efficiency.

in terms of battle use: torterra.

looks: sceptile.+ move pool. the only thing torterra has that sceptile really needs is woodhammer if you ask me.

looks-torterra
battle between the two-could go either way
a special tank torterra could absorb any attack but HP ice and probably KO with stone edge-but im not sure, and too lazy to rn calcs.
overall battling-cannt go wrong with super strong STAB eq, so definetly torterra
overall-torterra

Wow, both are pretty awesome. It's a hard choice, but Torterra means a lot to me. She was my 3rd level 100 Pokémon, and my second favorite grass starter. So, it's Torterra for sure. Sceptile's eyes are what ruins its design IMO.

Random bit of trivia:

My first username was torterrapower, the Torterrapower, then IslandWalker.

This is a tough one.

To be honest, Venusaur was my favourite (sorry to all you sceptile and torterra fans).

Sceptiles speed vs Torterras almighty defense may lead people to believe Sceptile wont hit hard enough to cause any major damage but in fact I have just finished Emerald and that isnt true.

Sceptile can hit hard. I had a bit of trouble against combusken in the game but after a while I completely destroyed...

Oh wait, this is about sceptile vs torterra.
Well anyway. I'm undecided. My favourite is Sceptile but I'm open to debate.

Torterra please. He's a turtle, he's Grass/Ground, he's huge, packs a punch and looks way, way better than Sceptile. Let's not forget the in-game performance, where Sceptile plain out sucks, but Torterra is easily among the best of the Sinnoh Starters in this regard.

I don't care for competitive conventions, but even there, Torterra has some good performance. Sceptile might have a bigger chance at beating him, but no matter. Torterra is still a much better Pokémon and is tied with Jalorda for my favorite Starter of all times. On the other hand, Sceptile is in the bottom of the barrel when it comes to Starters, Grass Pokémon, and even Pokémon in general. No contest at all.

I go for Torterra. Mighty typing and stats. AND mighty design. A whole f'n tree on its back, plus the dinosaur feeling.

Of course, this doesn't mean that Sceptile is a bad choice. Just that Torterra managed to gain my love more.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom