• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Schools in the Pokémon World

Mitch

aka Hakaku
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been brought up before. I'm curious how kids eduction. I know they have schools/academies for Pokémon training. What about regular academics? Most of the kids set out for a journey when they're ten.

I personally think they are either homeschooled for things like the basic language and communications skills they need, along with maths etc, or they go to a primnary school before their journeys.
Another option maybe that the trainer schools also cover the basics as well

I remember the one episode with the kid who was about eleven or twelve, and the bullies were asking him when Pidgey evolved (that's how I remember Pidgey evolves at level 18 XD) so maybe only the kids who aren't trainers go? Or they're homeschooled...oh gosh, I don't know ^^;

Poor uneducated kids.

Maybe the education they need is crammed in before they reach the age of ten.

Or they just don't learn as much stuff as we do because they don't need to; life works around Pokémon, and Pokémon are best studied through experience. As such, being a trainer would be education in itself.

It's hard to consider because the idea of 10 year olds going out into the wilderness accompanied only by what could be considered magical animals, is not something that could occur in the real world, so we don't have much to compare it to. xD

According to anime novelizations, they go to school until their ten, then they can decide to continue school or go on a journey. The age of ten is like they become an adult. I think education in their world is the basics. Math, writing, etc.

There are Pokemon schools in:
-Violet City
-Rustboro City
-Jubilife City
-Viridian City (sort of)

Those are pretty much where kids under 10 can go to, until they become old enough to be actual Trainers.

They only have like one school in a region which has 5 students, they must not be very bright.

Most of the people who post in this thread seem to not know what an acceptable break from reality is.

There's a reason why the population of the largest cities are only in their fifties or why, in an entire region, there is always just one school.

It's because for the most part, these things don't matter. They only exist for plot relevance, and some background to inject a bit of realism. As for the Pokemon schools, they're always there to just be a guide to common game play features such as status ailments. They don't need more than one school for that.

The reason everyone you meet is so into Pokemon is because you are a Pokemon Trainer, so the majority of the people you meet will have their lives revolving around them as well.

I understand it's just a game, Outrage, it was just a fun question.

I always wondered that too.
No wonder they all grow up to become Gym Leaders or Professors. They can't get a better job.

Except for Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy, but you need to go to College/University for those :|

I always wondered that too.
No wonder they all grow up to become Gym Leaders or Professors. They can't get a better job.

Except for Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy, but you need to go to College/University for those :|

I know, a ten year old education is all you need to be called a professor >_>

And who's this "all" you are talking about? The eight people per region who become gym leaders and the one Pokemon researcher?

Again, see my post above.

Everyone is forgetting that it's a Japanese series. Most kids in Japan graduate college when they're 10.

Everyone is forgetting that it's a Japanese series. Most kids in Japan graduate college when they're 10.

Well like i said, in the novelizations it states that kids become "adults" at the age of 10. That's what i have been hearing.

I know, a ten year old education is all you need to be called a professor >_>

And who's this "all" you are talking about? The eight people per region who become gym leaders and the one Pokemon researcher?

Again, see my post above.

Because a 10 year old can be a qualified nurse.
Also I'm going to dig a little deeper. I'm sure the current 8 gym leaders haven't been gym leaders for ever and won't be forever. When they retire, new ones will take their place. Let's just assume every gym leader has a 5 year term.

Last edited:
Because a 10 year old can be a qualified nurse.
Also I'm going to dig a little deeper.

missingthepoint.png

Now where did I say you didn't need an education to be a nurse?

They all grow up to be professors and gym leaders? Because they don't have an education? What?

And of course, your "digging deeper" just further proves your initial point wrong even more. If a Gym Leader isn't a permanent (or even that long) job, then they obviously have skills to do other things.

But of course, the reason we don't see that is because we are playing a Pokemon game, where the focus is the Pokemon part of it, not the more real-world stuff.

And to repeat myself ACCEPTABLE BREAKS FROM REALITY

missingthepoint.png

Now where did I say you didn't need an education to be a nurse?

They all grow up to be professors and gym leaders? Because they don't have an education? What?

And of course, your "digging deeper" just further proves your initial point wrong even more. If a Gym Leader isn't a permanent (or even that long) job, then they obviously have skills to do other things.

But of course, the reason we don't see that is because we are playing a Pokemon game, where the focus is the Pokemon part of it, not the more real-world stuff.

And to repeat myself ACCEPTABLE BREAKS FROM REALITY

Jesus fucking christ, it is not that serious. You don't have to pull out images and bold some big ass words.

If you're going to act like a jackass, I'm not going to try to have a friendly debate about it with you.
Bye. Instead of trying to make me look like an idiot on purpose, you could've just asked me where I get my theory from, and I would've explained it to you.

Last edited:
I like to think that children go to school till age 10, with extra classes with a focus on basic pokemon and trainer knowledge the closer they get to their journey so they are a little more prepared. During their journey they use whatever poketech (gear, navigator, watch, whatever) to access online classes to further their education. At least they are supposed to of course.

Celadon University, yo.

Also, I recall The Electric Tale of Pikachu mentioning only a regular leave of abscence. So that could be secretly true for other parts of the metaseries as well... or maybe places like Earl's Pokemon Academy et al also teach stuff like maths and science and history and whatnot so they at least know SOMETHIGN going out in the world ;P

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom