• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: Scientific Names for Pokemon

AceTrainer14

The acest of trainers
Reaction score
Trying to think of some official scientific names for your Pokemon or original species? This is the place to discuss them! The topic pops up in the General Chat Thread fairly often, so it seemed worth making a thread for.

Last edited:
There's this prehistoric whale called Basilosaurus that couldn't be renamed due to "nomenclature rules", but neither TV Tropes nor Wikipedia has elaborated on what those rules are. This is bothering me way more than it should.

I can speculate as to why. According to the rules of nomenclature, once a species has been named in a valid way - which more or less means that the name follows the rules and is published in the correct format - the specific name can't be changed. The generic name might change if evidence emerges that it was originally placed in the wrong genus. The species name sticks, though, regardless of whether anyone thinks it inappropriate, inaccurate, or just plain dumb

I can speculate as to why. According to the rules of nomenclature, once a species has been named in a valid way - which more or less means that the name follows the rules and is published in the correct format - the specific name can't be changed. The generic name might change if evidence emerges that it was originally placed in the wrong genus. The species name sticks, though, regardless of whether anyone thinks it inappropriate, inaccurate, or just plain dumb
What about Borontosaurus -> Apatosaurus?

i thought the thing with brontosaurus was that it was actually a bunch of different species erroneously lumped into one, so that a single "brontosaurus" never existed. apatosaurus then would have been one of the more prominent species in it.

whereas that "saurus" part in basilosaurus would just be like, a misnomer?

If I remember correctly those are generic names, not species names. Extinct species can "change" names much more easily because it's not always clear at first whether specimens belong to the same species or whether they're closely related - or related at all, for that matter. Anomolocaris went through quite the journey before it was identified

whereas that "saurus" part in basilosaurus would just be like, a misnomer?

That would be my guess - in nomenclature it doesn't matter if you call a whale a lizard in the species name

Whatever the case, Basilosaurus isn't under Artefact Title.

While we're here, there's a tyrannosaurid(?) whose genus is Chinese for "emperor dragon". Awesome!

Ever heard "Collision of Worlds" by Robbie Williams and Brad Paisley? It's about being Separated By a Common Language, was the credits song for the Worst Film Ever 2k11, and the only part of said film I remember seeing in the cinema.

I need to get Cars 2 out of my system...

And since I've been interested in creating fictional species, on-and-off for years now, how about a reptilian whale (or a whale-like reptile) that really would live up to the name Basilosaurus?

Or possibly Pseudocetus, if it's a reptile that looks like a whale
Reminds me, I once came up with an Elasmosaurus-like species called the pleseidon. Maybe I could reimagine it as a pun on Basilosaurus?

I've reimagined creatures before. I have years-old drawings of a species called pyronixes. They started off as living in volcanoes and healing their injuries with lava. A few months ago, I came up with a dragon-like species called bonfliers, who had lost the ability to fly. I decided to re-use the name "bonflier" for a pyronix-like species, except now they live in plains and valleys that are phrone to wildfires, and are merely resistant to heat. And have claws, like young hoatzins.

>bonflier
>iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg

but if we're talking about original species, i loved creating those. still do, though do it less as my crippling worthless internet attention addiction naturally makes me more of a fanartist these days.

i loved creating fake scientific names for my species, such as Dracoceps paludicolus for a swamp-dwelling draconic creature. or that time i created a "lavankylosaur" (lava coursing through it, was fantastical obviously) called Ankylosaurus fervens. even gave ninetales a name, Pyrovulpes nonacaudatus. not caring for any grammar rules, because knew none. would if i did.

i also remember the creation and reference sheet of strange tripodal plant-animal called a dandelion lion (Taraxacum-leo). i figured out the entire life cycle of it and some similar creatures.

I've got a fair few pokémon Linnaean names saved. I think my favourite is Phytodorsum gloriosus (Venusaur). Incidentally, I think Pyrovulpes nonacaudatus would be acceptable as a binomial - I called it Vulpes ultrix, which I'll admit isn't as interesting

I've got a fair few pokémon Linnaean names saved. I think my favourite is Phytodorsum gloriosus (Venusaur). Incidentally, I think Pyrovulpes nonacaudatus would be acceptable as a binomial - I called it Vulpes ultrix, which I'll admit isn't as interesting
Do you happen to have any other examples of those?

ooh, i forgot how indepth i used to be! i found the ref for a species called noki. this was made in 2013.

noki_ref_by_wolframclaws-d5qlywu.png

rootfoot_ref_by_wolframclaws-d5x2f9i.png

and here's something i remember being very proud of: the otorotari.
original_species_meme__otorotari_by_wolframclaws-d6mjv3m.png

man i was a creative kid. now all i do is think about my husbando and cry
speaking of which i really need to get back to updating agape

Those examples sound like clever and fitting Linnaean names. I was just curious as to which others you have.

Oh, well, uh, a few selected ones:

Wartortle: Hydrochelonia longaevus
Meowth: Felis felix (That was an easy one)
Psyduck: Anamagus vulgaris
Golduck: Anamagus superior
Abra: Abra abra
Kadabra: Abra kadabra (Not sorry)
Drowzee: Baku oneirophagus
Horsea: Hippocampus kawaii (Probably the nerdiest joke I've ever made)

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom