• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Scrapping Kris for Kotone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takoto

★ Prince of Ampora ★
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
This is a "post your theories" topic, and it's about what your theories are as to why Kris was scrapped.

Now, Nintendo haven't said yet why they scrapped Kris for Soul (I wish they hadn't), but when you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Now, yes Kris was a Johto game, but that's just it.
A Johto game, not the Johto games.

Kris wasn't in Gold and Silver, she was made for Crystal. That's why I think they scrapped the idea of Kris in the on-coming HeartGold and SoulSilver, because she wasn't in Gold or Silver.

And yeah, I know, Gold and Silver didn't have a female but still...

So what do you guys think? Why did Nintendo leave ol' Kris's design, and opt for Soul?

Re: Scrapping Kris for Soul.

They scrapped Kris for Soul as this is not Crystal, therefore no Kris which was a character for crystal and not GS, but since they had to create a girl character to keep things like they have been since crystal, this is the way to go.

People should not get upset that this is not Kris, for obvious reasons why she is not.

Kris=Crystal. Where did that name come from? Oh uh yeah there was this 3rd version you see but we won't bother making it. Yeah they need an explanation were they got it from so that might be likely.

I say new girl is just a heavily reworked Kris to make her look more "normal" and more jail-baity.

When they reworked Red, the basic concept of his clothes were kept intact, and his hair was reworked to be more similar to Leaf (I guess that way, playing as Leaf would be more like an alternate universe where Red came out a girl).

New girl's hair style is similar to Kris' atleast the pony-tail, except that Kris' ponytail curves at a 90 degree angle, while new girl's is more circular. Giving her hair a real colour probably makes it more relatable to the players. Kris' hair was probably blue to emphasize the whole Suicune thing for Crystal. And then, just change her clothes to make her a bit more similar to Gold in design, just as all the other male/female protagonists have vague similarities in their clothes.

Yeah, apart from her shorts in Crystal, there was nothing too similar about Gold and Kris, not like future generatiosn of male and female protagonists, so that's probably the cause for the redesign. Actually, I'm leaning less to a redesign, but more to a whole new concept, with a little bit of kris smacked in for nostalgiea, and I emphasize "a little bit".

See, I just don't buy that whole "She was in Crystal and not in the original G/S" stuff as a valid reason considering that the entire Sevii Islands weren't in RBG, yet were in the remakes, and the fact that GSC Red used a Yellow-esque team. They could have just as easily made it so that NPC Red had a default team with a starter that corresponds to the player's and reviving Blue's "rival role" by giving him the opposing starter.

As everyone else has said, these are not Crystal remakes and that's why Kris was not included. They invented a girl trainer for games that did not previously have one.

Personally, I think that's better for Kris anyway. She remains more of a historic icon this way, THE one who gave us the option of gender.

Game_character_kris.png

For my comment on how they did not share similar clothing apart from the shorts, yeah, they both had red tops aswell. But the game sprite emphasized the white parts of her clothing more.

Things I prefer about Soul
-Easier to cosplay. For me at least.
-Overalls! <3
-Ridiculous name.

Things I prefer about Kris
-She didn't look like a crazy girl from the Netherlands
-Not as freaky of a grin
-Looked more like a real person even with the blue hair

Overall I prefer Kris although it is close. I'll miss her, but at least I still have Crystal. :)

There is no "scrapping" her. They're preserving her for the sake of continuity. Because if she would be included, she wouldn't have been able to keep her Kris/Crystal name (she would be Heart/Gold/Silver/Soul/various girl names).

If there is batshit outcrying because they chose to invent a character for the GS remakes, then there would certainly be batshit outcrying when we would learn that "Kris/Crystal" would not be one of her default names, creating a continuity conflict and fandom war-crying, because their Kris isn't really then their Kris.

It was my fear they /would/ add her as the female player character, because of that. Because they wouldn't be able to call her Crystal.

Not to mention, yes, not Crystal remakes, can't keep Kris. It probably won't stop them from adding various bits from Crystal, or her as an NPC regardless of what gender you choose (see? That would be compromise...and brilliance, I think). Double-battle opportunity? Her helping you along the way, perhaps? Mega-thumbs up.

Soul = Kris redone

The hairstyle is similar enough, even though the color is different, as are her clothes. At the very least she is based on Kris, and it makes sense. Kris was the second gen girl trainer, so since these games are remakes of second gen games, they used her.

What the hell is there to theorize about? They changed the character because they wanted to.

I think they did as they are also making other big changes to GSC to make HGSS.

What the hell is there to theorize about? They changed the character because they wanted to.

Just ignore them. They're all trying to justify a random change as if it was necessary and they were doing it for the sake of fans or continuity or something so they don't get mad at GameFreak.

Hem-hem. Let me let you in on something. THESE ARE GS REMAKES, NOT CRYSTAL REMAKES. This may be a hevily reworked and modernized Kris. Oh, and you know the PokeSpecial version of Kris? M-hm. She has BROWN HAIR.

We're trying to eliminate HGSS discussion outside of the HGSS threads. A thread like this was just closed down yesterday.

I'm wondering where people get the idea that they scrapped Kris.

Did Leaf scrap Blue? They are infact different characters, but no one gave a shit when they introduced Leaf to the games in favor of "Blue" (Granted, she was a manga exclusive character but still...)

Also, this thread isn't needed.

Can we please keep the HGSS threads to a minimum? Thanks.

Go here or here if you want to talk about HGSS.

Either way, I think she'll be mentioned. Can anyone say new league champion if they divide them up?

I'm wondering where people get the idea that they scrapped Kris.

Did Leaf scrap Blue? They are infact different characters, but no one gave a shit when they introduced Leaf to the games in favor of "Blue" (Granted, she was a manga exclusive character but still...)

Also, this thread isn't needed.

People are just being butthurts about the CRYSTAL postergirl not being in a GOLD and SILVER remake.

Blue was acknowledge in the games...somewhat...appearing in a piece of art in the instruction booklet for japanese blue version, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom