• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Script Writers

ehh123

Reaction score
This thread is for discussing the script writers of the anime both past and present. Who are your favorites? Do you notice any patterns in the episodes they write?

Let me start of by saying that Junki Takegami seemed to love writing stories about familial strife. Brock in his debut, the Sabrina episodes, James in "Holy Matrimony!"...

Let me start of by saying that Junki Takegami seemed to love writing stories about familial strife. Brock in his debut, the Sabrina episodes, James in "Holy Matrimony!"...

He was a great writer, helped develop some great backstory to some great characters, especially James and Sabrina

I also like Atsuhiro Tomioka who's done some great stories including the first 3 Ash vs Kukui episodes and includes a call back to previous episodes

A lot of my favourite episodes have been written by Atsuhiro Tomioka (even if, like most other writers, he does have his fair share of big clunkers). Any plot based episode written by him (stuff like the whole Litten/Torracat/Incineroar thing, Alain and Paul) were for the most part guaranteed to be a banger.

Oh and he was also the guy who helped kickstart Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's, what more could you want?

I miss Takegami :( He was unreliable, wrote a reasonable amount of shit, but when he shone he really bloody sparkled. He wrote all the best TRio episodes, especially anything pertaining to Musashi... basically all of my most favourite episodes are written by him:
  • Guardie and Kojiro/Holy Matrimony
  • Hinamatsuri/Princess vs Princess
  • Happinas the Happy Nurse/Ignorance is Blissey
  • Origin of Love and Youth/Training Daze
  • Goodbye Dokucale/Crossing Paths
  • The Rocket Gang Breaks Up/Noodles Roaming into the worst ever dub title

He even received a joint writing credit for XY 63 (the one where Musashi falls in love with that doctor and the anime tries to trick us into thinking Sonansu will choose another Sonansu wearing lipstick over his beloved trainer) in the promotional material, although his name vanished in the actual end credits.

It's all terribly, terribly suspicious. So much so that it's a Rocketshipping fandom conspiracy that he was barred from writing Rocket-centric episodes after DP117. YMMV :p

I wrote a longass post a while back about how Fujisaku is his successor in spirit, so I'm glad he at least is coming along in PM. I still hold out hope that Takegami might come back later on, as Matsui did following a series-and-a-half break, now that Naruto's finished and he's otherwise unoccupied.

Another writer I liked originally is the late Takeshi Shudō, the original head writer who gave us an insight into the schooling system of Pokemon, as seen in The School of Hard Knocks

Some of his stories were great and hard at the same time, Island of the Giant Pokemon and The Ghost of Maiden's Peak being among them

I think my favorites are Atsuhiro Tomioka and Shoji Yonemura. Both are really good at writing battles and emotional moments and both are probably the anime's best cinematic writers. I'm glad that Yonemura's doing the composition for the new series! I also like Aya Matsui and more recently Akemi Omode.

Excited that the next series has a whole new batch of writers! Reiko Yoshida and Deko Akao in particular I'm really looking forward to.

I really like Omode even though there is major shoujo warning on some of the episodes she writes. I wish Serena had her own romantic shoujo series written by Omode.

Shudo is also great. The Mewtwo plot and the third movie are mostly written by him, aren't they? It's too bad he didn't get to do that weird Godzilla movie when the Pokémon try to take over the world because they don't want to be enslaved anymore (sounds a little like the BW1 game plot?). Apparently it was also going to discuss why there are no real life animals which sounds really interesting. Maybe they could revisit this idea now when Dynamax is a thing.

Although Shudo was a little dark minded at times. Didn't he write that super creepy episode when the (at the time) popular magical girl Minky Momo died in a car crash just because the toy company didn't want sell merchandise anymore? :eek:

Last edited:
Some of my favorite writers are probably: Atsuhiro Tomioka, Shoji Yonemura, Aya Matsui because of SM, Akemi Omode, Shinzo Fujita before the Kalos League, Yuka Miyuta, Masashi Sogo from AG and DP and lastly Junichi Fujisaku because IMO wrote some pretty underappreciated stuff like SM076, SM033, SM093, SM104, SM112, and 121 for example.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom