• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review Script Writing and Dialogue in the English Dub: Preference?

KojiroKing

Reaction score
Question.jpg

Which English dub of Pokemon's script writing/dialogue do you personally prefer, and why?

I personally preferred the 4Kids dub's script writing, because despite the translation not being direct all the time and taking some liberties (for good or bad), the dialogue as a whole still came off as really natural to me, and like something normal people would say to each other.

Additionally, I actually found a lot of the dialogue in the 4Kids dub much funnier, wittier, and more creative. For example, lines like the following were quite interestingly written and rather clever to me:

"She can violate my rights if..." - Brock, "The School of Hard Knocks"
"It's following Pikachu like a streaker..." - Ash, "Sparks Fly for Magnemite"
"Misty, please, only one of us can hallucinate at a time..." - Ash, "Make Room for Gloom"
"I am the flame that burns brightest...the flame that lights the night, the flame that shatters the darkness...I am a flaming Moltres!" - James, "The Fortune Hunters"
"To protect the world from all that chafing and itching...it might finally stop all of Jessie's...err...complaining." - Jessie, then James, "Hassle in the Castle"

There are many more examples I can list, but here are a few off the top of my head, to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Additionally, I felt like Ash and most of the protagonists actually spoke like normal kids their age would, and Team Rocket didn't abuse alliteration and rhyme too excessively (granted at times, during the 4Kids dub they would occasionally slip a few in, but not too frequently and not in constant succession).

The TPCi dub, on the other hand...I'm not sure how to describe my thoughts on its script writing, but I feel like the dialogue feels so rigid, and some of the translations come across as very eccentric and even rather confusing at times. Additionally, I feel like there's barely any variation in the dialogue, either, and it just feels like the same phrases are shoehorned in and it gets really dull (in my opinion).

As we all know, Team Rocket's lines are rewritten heavily in the current dub, and many consider this to be the biggest (for some, the only) problem with the TPCi dub's script writing (some notable examples include "Pilfering us up a bunch of primo Pokemon, "To bravely go where no twerp has gone...before the dawn," "Dig it, jack," "Slick, that should do the trick," "Forming a formidable army is inevitable for our Kalos Kingdom" and so on...), and I can agree with them that this is the most grating part of their writing.

However, personally I also have a big problem with the way Ash's lines are translated and/or rewritten in the TPCi dub as well. When they took over the dub, during Battle Frontier through halfway into DP (and even once in BW), they had Ash say awkward pieces of dialogue like, "I'm gonna get me my next gym badge," "We're gonna raise the roof," "I'm gonna be the most relaxed fisherman ever," and to this day from BW-XY have him saying really...eccentric...things like, "Alright, Froakie, time to put your foot on the gas," "Pikachu's just about to hit the wall," "special trainin'," "Whoa, he disappeared really fast, no doubt," "A'course ya know....kay," "He's Golurk's trainer and he likes pie," "That's a fire type: nice and fiery," and quite infamously, "I'm so psyched" very frequently. Most of this dialogue comes off to me as someone trying to be unnaturally hip or cool or something, and seems rather weird and a little annoying.

However, my problems with the TPCi dub's dialogue are not just limited to Ash or Team Rocket, either, I feel like Brock got a lot of weird dialogue initially in Battle Frontier like "on the blink," "my old stomping grounds," and it really actually scared me how awkward it got at some points, especially in DP's dub:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLaXjsz83BY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2lIMIEUwes
(You know how people say TPCi TR rhymes excessively, right? Well, the same applied to Brock when he was flirting with women sometimes in DP...)

Additionally, May also had a lot of questionable dialogue like, "I've never seen Ash work it so hard," "That was so rough," as did Max with, "Wow, you talk great!" or "Boy, those fightin' type Pokemon sure know how to fight!"

I could go on, but even now, Bonnie says some awkward stuff like "Lots of love to both teams...yeah," or "Hi, Pokemon Center," or "Yeah...try, try!" and a lot of the main cast say the word "kay" all the time for some reason or another.

To summarize my thoughts on the TPCi dub's script writing/dialogue, well, I'll let these guys describe them more or less for you all in a few words:

View: http://noodlerama.tumblr.com/post/93512602096/one-problem-with-the-tpci-dub-is-how-stiff-and

View: http://noodlerama.tumblr.com/post/132405482041/i-couldnt-agree-more-with-the-earlier-anon-about

View: http://noodlerama.tumblr.com/post/69565713252/holly-whirl-commonly-used-phraseslines-in-the

Your thoughts, everyone? I respect any and all opinions to the contrary, but I just wanted to get this thread started to see if anyone feels similarly, or differently, and what your own opinions are on the script writing/dialogue in the English dub of Pokemon.

Happy posting, folks, and apologies in advance if I posted this in the wrong section, but I'm not sure where something like this should go, even after reading the rules section (appreciate UxieLover1994 referring me to the thread), and I saw similar subjects being posted in the "REVIEW" thread, so I placed it here accordingly.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom