• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Scyther/Scizor theoretal question

jc2009

Reaction score
^^Lol, meant *theoretical* question

Let's say I wait until until my Scyther reaches level 53 to learn Air Slash. THEN I evolve it with the metal coat. Will the game prompt me to teach Scizor Iron Head? On some occasions that I can't remember, it seems like the game asks if I want to teach a pokemon a move AFTER it evolves. Is it when it evolves ON a level that it would be learning the move?

I think it wouldn't learn the move, since you learn the move when you level up to that level. Move Relearner needed.

Your Scizor would try to learn the move.
No move relearner needed unless you went over said level.

Better question is, why would you want Air Slash on Scizor? His base SAtk is a paltry 55...

Basically the point:

On evolution, a Pokémon will learn the move it learns on that level no matter if the evolution required leveling or not. An Eevee at level 43 which has a Water Stone used on it will try to learn Aqua Ring upon completion of the evolution.

HOWEVER with the trade evos please keep in mind that there are some discrepancies between level-up lists between RSE and FRLG, and DP and Pt (and presumably HGSS as well). Meaning if you trade your level 48 Poliwhirl holding a King's Rock from Platinum to Diamond expecting Hyper Voice, you'll be disappointed.

Anyway, on that note: screw Air Slash, give it Aerial Ace. Especially if it has Technician.

You should have scizor as a part of your team. Mine is and it is easily one of my most powerful pokemon. I got swords dance and iron defense on him, and he's magical against any physical pokemon... and a lot of non-physical pokemon as well. As for iron head, it is a very good move so if you want to train scizor, I recommend you have it some way or another.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I would have tested it myself but my Scyther has a a couple more levels to go unfortunately.. And true Mukubird, didn't realize Air Slash was a special attack, so Aerial Ace would be a much better choice. Especially since I've used the Pokeradar + Macho Brace + Bibarel on my Scyther who knows how many times! :banana:

and excellent point TTEchidna, didn't think about trading between different games like that

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom