• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Season 10 subtitled

No, you're missing the point, Habunake......

You see, the reason why watching voices in another language, that being Japanese, would be okay is because it's the original version with the original Japanese voices (it's not like they replaced the VAs in the Japanese version or anything).

However where Pokemon: Battle Frontier is concerned, it's not the original dub voices. It's people trying to 'sound like' the originals, which is obviously impossible since they aren't the the same voice cast.

So basically, that is why watching fansubs would be okay for us. We think that watching fansubs would at least be better than not watching Pokemon at all.

Last edited:
^^^^
Fair enough, I guess your right. I'll still watch the dub and sub though, and end up loving the voices as I am easily pleased.

^^^^
You should start with the Spencer one or the Tucker one, those were tight.

Archaic said:
I will most certainly sub those episodes. I hope, in fact, to sub every single episode where Satoshi battles a frontier brain. Of course...that'll take me quite some time. ^^;;
So Archaic, does that mean you guys will eventually sub AG 177, since Ash battled a Frontier Brain (even though Ash lost the match cause he was possessed)?

I would really like to have that one subbed, so I would know exactly what everyone said and fully understand it. ^_^

Yay!!

That will be so awesome!!!! :-D

In that case, I'll be checking pocketmonsers.net daily (and going on the IRC channel as well), so I can check up on all the latest subbed episodes.

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
I would really like to have that one subbed, so I would know exactly what everyone said and fully understand it. ^_^

Something along the lines of "HOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAP" I'd imagine.

^ LOL, Doctor Oak. XD

Yeah, that's probably the gist of what they said, lol. And it'd be hilarious if they actually did say that!! :-D

But, anyway, I wanna know what their exact words were. XD XD

Aww, shoot.

I have no idea what you just said there, Zhen Lin. :-(

Could someone translate that for me?

You asked for an exact answer and Zhen gave you one. Basically along the lines of that's how they spoke (in Japanese).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

"We spoke of efficency. What else is there to solve?"
That's what I got.

誰も話しなければどうして日本語を読んだの?

People don't realize how hard it is to fansub properly. I originally started fansubbing when Excalibur started subbing AG 3-4 years ago. In order to make good, accurate fansubs, it takes a LOT of time as zhenlin and Archaic have both pointed out earlier. Currently our only active translators are Yamato-san & Archaic, but both arent fluent in japanese. One of our goals is to produce high quality subs unlike the ones mognet or excalibur produced. It is very difficult. When all the staff is working on a release such as Movie 8 sub that we did earlier in the year, we were able to do that in about 2 weeks which is pretty quick for a movie. Many major fansub groups have multiple translators and staff members that take turns doing the releases each week. Unfortunately our substaff is very small and doesnt have a lot of free time. Most of us work or have school so free time is at a premium. #pm and many other pokemon fans would love to see weekly sub releases, but that just isnt practical currently. As you can see by the releases we have done in the past that we are improving as well. There are lots of things we could still do better and are striving to do just that. I have been working on a massive document to help our sub staff stay consistant with translations as that also becomes a factor. We hope to release more subbed releases in the future and have plans to do so. We want to release quality subs and right now translation/quality checking is our weak point so if you know anyone that is fluent in both english/japanese that is interested in doing Pokemon, please let us know. The fact is those that are able to do translations of pokemon arent interested in doing it.

We want to be accurate with our translations. Just to give you a brief overview as to what goes on to release a subbed episode of pokemon:

What are the steps involved in a release? (RAW, Translating, Editing, Typesetting, Timing, Encoding, Quality Check, Distro/Release)

Many times we will notify the public of the current status of our projects or a certain release. This section is dedicated to giving a brief overview of those terms, and the general process that is required to create a release.

Obtain a RAW:
A RAW is a source file that we use and distribute to our staff to do the work, and eventually is the file we use to work with for a published release. Pocket Monsters airs Thursdays and we usually get it a few hours after air. Whenever possible, we try to use rip a dvd to create our own raw as the source is usually superior to a television capture. One of our current sub staff members is moving to Japan and will hopefully be able to capture for us.

Translation: This involves going through the RAW Source file several times and translating every line of dialog. This is a painstaking process and takes more time, dependant on the complexity of the dialog and the sheer quantity that a episode may have.

Edit the translation:
While our translators do a great job, in order to provide a higher quality release to you, we make sure that someone goes through the english translation to make sure it is gramatically sound, and makes sense. Editors also ensure that typos, and other errors in regards to the translation are erradicated.

Typesetting: Typesetting involves breaking up the translation into pieces that are correct for each scene. It also includes correct placement on the screen and often times is done at the same time as timing, see below. These people often make sure that everything is readable, meaning they wont throw in 5 lines of text for you to read in 2 seconds. Typeset styling involves choosing font family, font sizes, colors, effects, transitions, and often is involved in title creation, karaoke, and other aspects involved with the general appearance of the subtitles. Styling usually is only done once, at the very first episode and is copied for uniformity with the rest of the episodes. The only time it is changed is when a new Opening or Ending song is introduced. There has been a discussion recently to change our current style to a more simpler style that would be easier to read on tv's and help with encoding.

Timing: Timing involves making sure that things occur on queue, for the appropriate periods of time, and dissapear when they are supposed to. This is extremely important if you are to keep a hold of who says what and when. Timing is a lengthy process as it must be accurately done for every line of text.

Encoding: After all this work is done, it must be put together by an encoder who takes the finalized time-set and ready to go subtitles and encodes them, essentially merging the subtitles with the original RAW to get a publishable file.

Quality Check: These users get a RC (Release Candidate) version of the episode and go through to make sure that it is ready for release. They check for issues such as graphical artifacts, timing errors, typos, grammar, legibility, sound and video quality, and anything else that shouldnt be in a final release. Should they find a problem it will go back up the line of process to be fixed, and another release candidate is sent out to be checked once more.

Distribution:
Finally, once an episode is ready for release, it must be pre-distributed to the bots and servers so that when a release goes live, or official, we are capable of serving the majority of leechers needs. This requires dedicated people and hardware who are willing to expend time and resources to help get the file to you. It is eventually released as a torrent for the mass viewing audience to watch.

Karaoke: (Japanese: カラオケ, from 空 kara, "empty" or "void", and オーケストラ ōkesutora, "orchestra") is a form of entertainment in which an amateur singer or singers sing along with recorded music on microphone. Lyrics are displayed, including color changes synchronized with the music, on music video to guide the sing-along. Recently we have been experimenting with more effects and furigana on our karaokes.

Last edited:
To reiterate on what was said earlier, here's one scenario that we have to face when finding translators.

Think about this for one moment...You join a large anime channel with fluent japanese and english speakers. At first, you may ask them for help translating an anime series. Some of the users might say "Okay, what's the anime series that is being fansubbed?". You mention Pokemon. Now, in IRC logic, one of two things will happen.

1. You will be laughed at by the majority of the users, claiming that it isn't a "real" anime series.

2. If they are really idiotic, they'll have you kick-banned.

The point that I'm trying to convey is not many people are interested in Pokemon in the major online anime communities. Sometimes people don't think about how difficult it is to find willing translators. The key here also is free time, as mentioned earlier. Many of the translators that have done Pokemon in the past have jobs and/or school, and have almost no time to work on anything.

^^^
How is it less of an Anime serires then Naruto or FMA? It was made in Japan, is animated, therefore it's an Anime.

Sadly, what TSS said is true. And I have experienced that in dA, not recently though. Most people in the anime community ditch Pokemon because it's not "real anime", or so they say. And for them being involved with it is definitely a no-no.

Hasn't this exact thread been gone over at least 10 times, except with different seasons/episodes that people want subbed?

Habunake said:
How is it less of an Anime serires then Naruto or FMA? It was made in Japan, is animated, therefore it's an Anime.
Not to mention the fact that it uses anime conventions.

Just wondering... Has anyone ever challenged that viewpoint?

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom