• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Season 11 begins at April... with new opening

I like the 9th more than the 8th
Hopefully the new opening will be more like BF or like most of the 4Kids ones

Bet the new opening is going to be comparable to Tauros manure. Like the Battle Frontier and D&P openings before it.

I like PUSA's dub well enough, but they seriously don't know anything about music and editing.

This season will be done by a different dubbing company under a different director - so who knows, could be better. Hopefully, they'll have the good sense to go back to the more soft-rock type affairs of the earlier season intros rather than this rap nonsense. (And I actually like quite a lot of rap music - just not shit rap music).

It's a different director, but it's not a different company. The same people are still in charge, they're just dubbing it at a different studio.

It depends if the music decisions were made by TAJ or by PUSA. Do you know this? Because I sure don't and I didn't want to bet for either. But even if PUSA does this decision, they still can heard what DuArt and/or Wayland tells them. DuArt sure seems to be much more proffesional company then TAJ. But maybe I have too big expectations for them.

Well, even if PUSA was in charge of the music (and still will be with DuArt dubbing it), I think we'll get more Japanese music progressively. Compared to Battle Frontier keeping 2-3 pieces on average, more recent Diamond & Pearl episodes have usually kept 7-10 pieces, with the last four episodes keeping nearly all of it.

I wouldn't mind a new light rock-ish type theme like 4Kids did in their later years, but ideally, a new theme song would be something more along the lines of the Kanto theme song, or a dub of the Japanese theme song (with all the times that Advanced Adventure has popped up in the dub, you'd think they would have used it).

Why do people expect a company that manages licensing and publishing the franchise to be actually dubbing the series?

They just pay people to do it, they don't actually do it themselves. At most, they would simply have decisions in the music or directing or whatever run by them for approval.

It's a different director, but it's not a different company. The same people are still in charge, they're just dubbing it at a different studio.

Also, as far as I understand it, Taj is no longer dubbing the series, so it's more than just where it's being dubbed - it's a different company.

Those orders being little more than "dub the anime, plzkthx".

With different people working on the show, it's inevitable there'll be a difference in how it's done. If it's just a difference in the way the music's cut together, or whether or not the actors are rushing their lines by direction etc, it's still a change.

To be fair to the last series of the dub, there were very few serious issues I could think of that would need a drastic change. There were a few issues where the lines the actors were trying to say just didn't seem to fit the way the director was having them say it (but thanks to the animation, problems like that have been around since the start of the series - so not a lot can be done about that other than smoother direction, I guess) and the music seemed to be cut together a bit hurriedly - but with no real edits or goofs or changes, it's a pretty faithful dub in all but the music (which is never going to be completely faithful to the Japanese original, it would seem - so there's little point in holding out any hope for that).

But ANYWAY, with a new company with new people, it is possible that the original music produced by whoever is doing it at whatever new company is doing the dubbing (do we know who it is yet? I haven't seen anything about it...) will be an improvement. All we really need is one person with some talent to do the work, after all. Not that out of the question to hold out hope for a better theme for this new season under those conditions...

Last edited:
Well, I know how we could possibly find answers to those questions about the dub music.

Apparently, Tom Wayland is gonna be at New York Comic-con. Perhaps someone from Bulbagarden who's attending this could ask him some questions about the music direction, like what the new opening will be like for Season 11. And also, maybe Wayland can discuss the amount of BGM being kept in the episodes. That would be interesting!! ^_^

Was the 9th opening (TAJ's first) really worse than the 8th (4Kids' last)?
Yeah, the Battle Frontier theme was a lot worse, in my opinion. I mean, the words were catchy and I really liked the lyrics. So that part wasn't a problem for me. However, when the lyrics were sung, they just sounded....well, different. And I think that was because Pokemon USA hired a new singer.

Also, another reason I didn't like that song much, was because the Battle Frontier theme was A LOT shorter than the one for Advanced Battle. I mean, I hate how the opening was only, 30 seconds long or something (what's with the short opening, anyway? was Pokemon USA/TAJ that worried about kids' attention spans that they couldn't afford a longer opening?).

Anyway, personally, I loved the guy who sang the Advanced Battle theme (Unbeatable) and some other 4Kids themes. He was really talented! I wish Pokemon USA had kept him! =(

Last edited:
Well, I know how we could possibly find answers to those questions about the dub music.

Apparently, Tom Wayland is gonna be at New York Comic-con. Perhaps someone from Bulbagarden who's attending this could ask him some questions about the music direction, like what the new opening will be like for Season 11. And also, maybe Wayland can discuss the amount of BGM being kept in the episodes. That would be interesting!! ^_^

Yeah, the Battle Frontier theme was a lot worse, in my opinion. I mean, the words were catchy and I really liked the lyrics. So that part wasn't a problem for me. However, when the lyrics were sung, they just sounded....well, different. And I think that was because Pokemon USA hired a new singer.

Also, another reason I didn't like that song much, was because the Battle Frontier theme was A LOT shorter than the one for Advanced Battle. I mean, I hate how the opening was only, 30 seconds long or something (what's with the short opening, anyway? was Pokemon USA/TAJ that worried about kids' attention spans that they couldn't afford a longer opening?).

Anyway, personally, I loved the guy who sang the Advanced Battle theme (Unbeatable) and some other 4Kids themes. He was really talented! I wish Pokemon USA had kept him! =(

I always thought that was a time issue since they're not chopping seconds off episode scenes like 4kids did so they're chopping theme tune instead or am I wrong here.

Though if it's not that then a longer theme tune would be nice though I'm pretty sure I'll have to opt to watching all my episodes on the net (like I've already started doing anyway so it won't be much of a switch) and buy the DVD's in future (I'll be buying the DVD's anyway but it'd make me more certain of it). Toasted TV channel 10 in Australia will chop out half the episode if it's any longer, I just know it.=(
Toasted TV already chopped out scenes and tried to hide it with ads in many season 10 episodes when they aired here.>_>

Last edited:

With different people working on the show, it's inevitable there'll be a difference in how it's done. If it's just a difference in the way the music's cut together, or whether or not the actors are rushing their lines by direction etc, it's still a change.

To be fair to the last series of the dub, there were very few serious issues I could think of that would need a drastic change. There were a few issues where the lines the actors were trying to say just didn't seem to fit the way the director was having them say it (but thanks to the animation, problems like that have been around since the start of the series - so not a lot can be done about that other than smoother direction, I guess) and the music seemed to be cut together a bit hurriedly - but with no real edits or goofs or changes, it's a pretty faithful dub in all but the music (which is never going to be completely faithful to the Japanese original, it would seem - so there's little point in holding out any hope for that).

But ANYWAY, with a new company with new people, it is possible that the original music produced by whoever is doing it at whatever new company is doing the dubbing (do we know who it is yet? I haven't seen anything about it...) will be an improvement. All we really need is one person with some talent to do the work, after all. Not that out of the question to hold out hope for a better theme for this new season under those conditions...

Of course there will be some difference between Taj and DuArt (DuArt was in the credits for The Rise of Darkrai, so they've been confirmed as the new post production company). I mean, why would PUSA switch if there weren't any differences (that they wanted). At the same time however, those changes could be entirely business related only, and may or may not result in any noticable changes to us the fans.

But the keeping of original BGM is certainly not the issue. While going somewhat back and forth, we've already seen tremendous in that aspect, even under Taj. I'd say the pattern is something like two steps forward, one step back. And it shows with the last four episodes of Season 10.

I would say it's definately a possibility that we may get to a point where all the non-vocal, instrumental BGM is kept in the Dub, but that's going to take a while. But that decision is and has always been up to PUSA. Taj and DuArt have nothing to do with it.

I also want to note that Manny Corallo from Cherry Lane Music is still in the credits for the Dub music, and I assume he composed the later Dub tunes for PUSA, and well as the 4Kids BGM. And John Loeffler is still producing the vocals.

On those notes, I'm also hoping that PUSA will phase out the Dub-over music that gets used as cover over moments with no music playing in the original, like they did with Buizel Your Way Out of This. At the very least, keep 25% of the total silent moments used in the original. That means that for every minute where there's not music playing in the Japanese version, the Dub has 15 seconds with no music. I mean, we don't really need the Dub to add music whre the original version has only eight seconds of in between silence, do we.

I'm also hoping that when push comes to shove and the Japanese version has a vocal song, that PUSA will replace it with an English song, rather than random instrumental music. It was done in DP18, O'er The Rampardos We Watched!. While the song itself may not always be received well, at least it's good in principle. And there are plenty of songs to go around; both under 4Kids, and newer ones under PUSA. So far example, in DP67, the original version plays Challenger, the 7th Japanese opening, and I think an extended version of the Advanced Challenge opening (it's English counterpart) would be a good song used in its place in the Dub.

Doctor Oak said:

Not at all.

TAJ's role in the series has always just been to hit the record button and to edit the voices and the music together to the video. PUSA, being the license holder, still makes all the decisions about the script, edits, casting, music, etc.

And where you have a prove for what you are stated as a fact, Dogasu? Untill you show me a prove, I can only consider this as assumption with the same wight as assumption of those stated otherwise than you.
And even if your assumption were right, no one can say for sure this will change under DuArt ;-)

Was the 9th opening (TAJ's first) really worse than the 8th (4Kids' last)?

WAY worse.

It's a different company taking PUSA's orders, yes. But those orders aren't going to change one bit.

The same was said when Taj took over, and look how many things changed.

And new dub director means there will be differences in dub (dub = replacing voices. everything else is not.). Of course main cast will stay, but that could mean different people for CoTD's, some pronounciation and many details.

ED font will change for sure xD

I always thought that was a time issue since they're not chopping seconds off episode scenes like 4kids did so they're chopping theme tune instead or am I wrong here.

That logic fails. PAB has 1-minute long OP, PAC had 45 seconds. Does that mean PAC eps were chopped more? No.

Plus there's about 30 seconds saved on eyecatchers.

What the heck with time issue? First 3 seasons had 1-minute long opening, 1st season had also 1-minute long ending, pokeraps etc, 3 eyecatchers... and there was less cutting. If they cut anything it's because they want to - not because it makes any sense.

Not at all.

TAJ's role in the series has always just been to hit the record button and to edit the voices and the music together to the video. PUSA, being the license holder, still makes all the decisions about the script, edits, casting, music, etc.

They'll approve them, but I'd be extremely surprised if a bunch of business school graduates in managerial positions actually write the scripts, organise the music or sit and fiddle over edits. PUSA is just a managerial company employed to oversee the other companies working on the Pokemon franchise.

peno2 said:
And where you have a prove for what you are stated as a fact, Dogasu? Untill you show me a prove, I can only consider this as assumption with the same wight as assumption of those stated otherwise than you.
And even if your assumption were right, no one can say for sure this will change under DuArt ;-)

Look at the end credits of anything TAJ has ever worked on. There are only about three or four people listed in the credits who work for TAJ, and all of those positions deal with the technical aspect of dubbing.

The actual decisions about everything else, as I've said over and over, are PUSA's to make.

AtoMan said:
The same was said when Taj took over, and look how many things changed.

No, the same was said when PUSA took over. Not TAJ.

PUSA != TAJ. Never have, never will.

What the heck with time issue? First 3 seasons had 1-minute long opening, 1st season had also 1-minute long ending, pokeraps etc, 3 eyecatchers... and there was less cutting. If they cut anything it's because they want to - not because it makes any sense.

As the years go on, networks are requiring shows to be shorter and shorter so they can fit in more ads. Since networks aren't making as much per ad as they used to, they have to show more ads today to make the same amount of money they were able to make five years ago.

That's why old episodes of shows like The Simpsons have to undergo a number of time cuts in order to be rerun on network TV today.

I'd say this again - damn US law. And it also influences other countries that air the dub.

Look at the end credits of anything TAJ has ever worked on. There are only about three or four people listed in the credits who work for TAJ, and all of those positions deal with the technical aspect of dubbing.

The actual decisions about everything else, as I've said over and over, are PUSA's to make.
Though, if you look at the Pokemon dub credits, no one is listed for scoring the series. The people who composed the music are listed, but not the music editors.

Well after the abomination that was the Season 10 opening, it seems like PUSA learned their lesson and will actually put some effort into the next theme song.

Its strange because I actually liked PUSA's Battle Frontier opening, it was fairly similar to 4kids openings and fit the same feel as them...then comes the D/P rap with crap lyrics such as "Fight for survival" while showing Dawn in a pretty red Contest dress. :rolleyes:

The lyrics didn't fit the opening at all. If we're "fighting for survival" at least show a montage of Pokehunter J or Team Galactic or something, not Dawn in a dress smiling at the camera while clovers/hearts come out of her Pokeballs.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom