• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Season 18: Pokémon the Series: XY - Dub Episode Title Thread

In that case, we might as well call any other episode a special.

There's a reason why Ash and the current saga companions aren't present in special episodes. Because they're special. They deal with different characters and different events and are not part of the ongoing series.

This episode is clearly a part of the XY series. Literally no real reason to call it a 'special'.

Agreed, the thing is even the Japanese considered a normal episode

Let me get Bluesun's comment in the talk page of this particular episode:

On VOD platforms such as hulu, it's considered completely a normal episode, it even also has its own ordinary opening, its own ordinary ending, its own ordinary Oak Caster, and completely ordinary previews linking it in-sequence with the previous/next episodes, which is something that Mega Evolution episodes, and the TV airing of one of the ANA shorts don't even have.
I also assume if this was the case, this also applies to the Iris and Cilan special episodes, which means the Japanese always considered this an actual episode.

But you know the damning thing about all this.

The only reason this episode is considered a special is this forum as well as Bulbapedia, they have always labeled as a special, even other people who wouldn't ordinarily care, only believe this special because of bulbapedia and bulbagarden, I have NEVER seen anyone else by themselves deciding it was a special.

The thing that bothers me the most is just this little snippet from a thread by an administrator.

Bulbagarden wishes to retain good relations with TPCI

Now I suppose I might be reading too much in that particular snippet, but if there is some kind of noticeable relations with the people who dub the anime, and one of the only popular Pokemon related wikis "Bulbapedia" then I'm left with one conclusion:

I feel as if the only reason TPCI did NOT treat the Pikachu cosplay episode as a normal episode was only because of Bulbapedia. Because based on the other information I've seen, Japan where the episode originated from treats this episode as just a normal episode.

But not Bulbapedia. The root of any mention of this ever being considered special originated from HERE.

And before you argue, well let's read what Sunain said:

"1-hour and 2-hour Japanese episodes have always been called specials. Some of the specials are actually given names. This special name also unfortunately was taken out of context as being a 'Movie special'. This does not mean that the actual episodes themselves are specials just that the original combined airing was a special broadcast.

That's always been the case, in fact the only reason the Pikachu cosplay episode was considered a special was ONLY because it had a different format.

Are you saying that a director of the episode, in order for this to have been considered a normal episode HAD to make it in THE exact format as the other episodes, and could NOT deviate.

So then in that instance, I guess we have to change everything then.

Let's start off with the similar episode to this. Luke (Golett/Zorua) making a movie in Best Wishes, since it showed Luke making his movie, and also showed the movie at the end.

Oh and also let's go back to DP, Noodles Roamin' off, since that episode did not revolve solely around Ash and company except for a few scenes here and there, that's also a special as well.

The thing that annoys me the most about all this, is that bulbapedia even violated their rules for what is considered a special. Even now they are violating it with other episodes as well.

Unlike the main anime, Ash Ketchum is not featured in a central role; many of the episodes feature his friends in an expanded role, however.
Okay this can be interpreted two ways.

1. If Ash has to be the central role in the episode, then MANY episodes need to be considered specials like my examples from before especially that Noodles Roamin off episode.
2. If it means Ash isn't in the episode (Like the mega evolution acts), then clearly Pikachu Cosplay does not apply because he was in the episode.

THE ONLY reason that this episode has been considered a special by Bulbagarden and Bulbapedia is ONLY because it has a different format. If it had been considered a normal episode, then there wouldn't have been a division, and I feel strongly that TPCI would have dubbed the episode as a normal episode.

But let's be a little more fair to TPCI as well as Bulbagarden/Bulbapedia, maybe TPCI didn't dub it because it had TOO much of a different format. It's still considered an episode but they decided to skip it, because it would be too much work to edit and format it properly.

But whatever, I don't know what the case is, but I will never and I mean NEVER understand why the Pikachu Cosplay was ever considered to be a special episode in the first place.

The episode may have been cut in segments, but you can't watch one segment without the other segments. Other segmented clips would be like one clip showing Ash eating a spicy berry another clip segment showing Ash kicking a soccer ball, and then tripping over it and falling on his face. Those would be examples of seeing the clip without needing to see the other clip.

This Pikachu Cosplay episode had a story, it had a plot, revolved around Ash, Serena, Clemont, Bonnie, Pikachu, some other humans, and a whole bunch of Pikachu. Can't bring up the lack of Team Rocket, because there are other episodes where they don't show up. Are those specials now too?

The only argument against was the blooper sequence, that could've easily been cut out, however you still couldn't watch it without context, you'd still have to see the other segments to understand that segment fully, otherwise you'd be completely confused.

If Bulbagarden/Bulbapedia and TPCI want to consider this a special episode, fine, so be it, can't do anything about it. But don't ask me to understand why its considered a special.

I really couldn't care less about whether it is actually a special or not, the dub decided not to do it as a regular episode and we have no indication if it is going to be dubbed (although I think it should). It's as simple as that. All power to you if you want to complain about it but I personally don't see the point trying.

Something I will say is that I watched a subbed version recently and I remember Serena's line in the movie being "Happy 20th Anniversary". Make of that what you will.

PS: Unless I'm missing something and there's an actual link between Bulbapedia and TPCi I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that this site was part of the decision making. Even the post quoted doesn't confirm anything - it could just be a general statement. It's like saying "I want to keep a good relation with the Tax Office so I'll pay my taxes."

What if the dub did not skip the Cosplay Pikachu ep but just changed its placement? It wouldn't be the first time they did it - remember the Riolu two parter in Season 11? They officially placed it in between the Crasher Wake two parter which was extremely ridiculous since the Crasher Wake two parter now didn't make much sense having the Riolu stuff happening at the middle of it... (in the Japanese version the Riolu two parter was placed earlier in an order that actually made sense)
Perhaps this is another case of dumb placement change... but of course we won't know that until (and if) it happens...

PS: Unless I'm missing something and there's an actual link between Bulbapedia and TPCi I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that this site was part of the decision making. Even the post quoted doesn't confirm anything - it could just be a general statement. It's like saying "I want to keep a good relation with the Tax Office so I'll pay my taxes."

That is why I did say that I could be reading too much into it.

But like I said, in terms of the fandom, the only mention of this Pikachu Cosplay episode being a special stemmed from Bulbapedia/Bulbagarden.

And I know for Heroes the show they would often refer to the most popular Heroes wiki, a lot within their show even using it at certain points.

Bulbapedia being the most popular, most extensive Pokemon Wiki, you would think that some influence might have occurred with TPCI in some fashion.

But I fully realize I might be reading too much into it.

BUT enough about this, I'll drop this particular subject and move on, I said my peace, moving onto other topic.

The saddest part is that only one person is arguing that this is a special while everyone else has accepted this as a regular episode that has no reason to be treated as special. And yet Bulbapedia keeps treating it as such, despite numerous sources and evidence that prove otherwise.

The saddest part is that only one person is arguing that this is a special while everyone else has accepted this as a regular episode that has no reason to be treated as special. And yet Bulbapedia keeps treating it as such, despite numerous sources and evidence that prove otherwise.

Alternatively, other people couldn't care less because it's a really minor thing. Unless the writers themselves come out and directly say it is a regular episode or it was meant to be a special we don't actually know what it is.

Trust me if we had creative control over TCPI in any way I'd go wild :evil:

Actually, the saddest part is that you believe that I'm the only one. Look further, because I'm sure you'll find others, otherwise you're just not paying any attention to the others. Plus, those sources don't prove anything, they don't specifically call this a normal episode and just because the normal opening is used on VOD services, that doesn't mean that it is a normal episode. They could've used the regular openings and ending themes because Ash and co. are a part of the special. And there is evidence to suggest that this could be a special, so it's not like there's no reason why others such as myself believe this to be one.

P.S. I laugh at the fact that some people think that Bulbapedia has influenced TPCI. That is one of the stupidest theories that I've heard in a while.

Well, I always said Bulbapedia had its issues... I think what's going on right now further proves some of the stuff I used to say before...
And that's why, as always, I'll suggest referring to official sources rather than fansites, because fansites, due to their nature, are made by fans who WILL forever spread mis-information based on their personal views and opinions rather than facts.

The official site:
ポケットモンスター エックスワイ:あにてれ:テレビ東京
Clearly counts this as a regular XY series episode. End of story. Whatever the dub will do with this, this was a regular episode and part of the actual series. I believe it may be the same for the dub only misplaced like the Riolu two parter but of course that's a speculation that only time will prove or disprove.

EDIT: actually, to be fair, I just went further back in the ep list and the Mega Evo acts are listed too. But this is TV Tokyo's site informing of new airings... what I originally tried to refer to was Pokemon.co.jp but sadly they only have episode lists of OS/AG/DP/BW and not of the current series. (correct me if I'm wrong and there's an actual XY ep list on Pokemon.co.jp that I'm missing)

Also, I checked Pokemon.com's Season 18 listing and there's no skipped number. This proves that whatever they decided to do with the Cosplay Pikachu ep (whether it's to omit it or change its order for whatever reason) was intended and not just a schedule mess up. As I said only time will tell its fate. I still say that there's absolutely no reason to claim it is not a regular ep, but admittedly the link I just referred to in this post isn't the right way to prove it... maybe we can wait for the XY series to end and see how Pokemon.co.jp will list it then lol (again unless I'm missing something and they do list the XY eps there, in which case please link me to it)

EDIT 2: just a few more random thoughts:
1. If people think having unique title cards makes something a "special" let me just remind you the Espurr ep didn't have the traidional title card either. It's just a nice gimmick thing they do on rare occassions to fit an episode's theme.
2. The above points reminds me that with that example that dub chose to be lazy and just use the usual title screen instead. What if this time they want to actually paint edit the unique title cards shown in this ep and this is the reason for the delay? It's a bit of a stretch but perhaps they knew it'd take them more time to work on this ep due to the paint edits they'd need and that's why they decided to place it later on?

EDIT 3:
P.S. I laugh at the fact that some people think that Bulbapedia has influenced TPCI. That is one of the stupidest theories that I've heard in a while.

fan sites and fan made "rules" did affect official sources before. Remember when Cartoon Network claimed to air Johto eps for HGSS? They ended up airing the last few Orange Islands eps, because they were misinformed and believed that "Season 3 = Johto" which is clearly not the case since the eps officially labeled for them as "Season 3" included the final part of Orange at the beginning...
So yes, fan made shit did sometimes affect official stuff. Heck, isn't the term "shiny" originated as a fan term before eventually being used officially? (the only official term they used up to that point was "shining" in the TCG, which to this day I wonder why fans decided to change to "shiny"... but apparently they influence the official stuff to adopt it)
bulbapedia could potentially influence certain things, but I doubt they had anything to do with the Cosplay Pikachu ep. They dub what they get from the Japanese staff, and they make the decisions they make based on their own business-related reasons.

I think we should all just chill and wait to see what will be this episode's fate, because I really doubt they "banned" it or that they'd randomly put it as a "special" on Pokemon TV (although I guess it's still possible... even then, it'd only count as a special for the dub rather than for the Japanese version, similarly to "Beauty and the Beach")

Last edited:
The official website also lists the Mega Evolution special episodes in that list.

Yeah see the edit I made to the post. That's the TV Tokyo site. I initially wanted to check the official Pokémon site Pokemon.co.jp since they have episode lists that do not include "specials". Like this DP list for example: ポケットモンスター ダイヤモンド・パール | ポケットモンスターオフィシャルサイト
Sadly though Pokemon.co.jp lacks such a list for XY, they only have these for complete series, so I guess we'll only be able to see that once XY is over.

Anyway, as I said, I strongly believe the dub WILL include this as part of the season, just misplace it as they did with the Riolu two parter. Why no one seems to think of that possibility?
As for why they'd do that, there could be various reasons, from the bother of paint edit, to wanting it to tie in with the Movie airing, since the gimmick of the ep is making a movie + it features Cosplay Pikachu that also appeared in the movie.
I really bet that's what's going on here... but of course none of us can safely predict the fate of this ep so we can only wait and see what happens later on...

Also, I find it funny that now the dub got even CLOSER to the Japanese airings... it's amusing how small the gap is right now compared to how it's used to be in the earlier days...

The official website also lists the Mega Evolution special episodes in that list. In regards to TPIC being influenced by Bulbapedia, did they specifically mention that they used Pokemon fan based websites for advice/inspiration, because if not, then that does not ultimately mean that they're being influenced by those sites is true. Also, if that is true, then it doesn't mean that they looked upon Bulbapedia for inspiration in this case. I'm sure they would have conversed with the Japanese company who makes the original episodes and used what they would have to say about whether or not an episode is a special or not. But, either way, I don't see why they would delay the Pikachu episode and if they aren't going to air it later, then at the very least, it seems that the dub considers it as a special.

The official website also lists the Mega Evolution special episodes in that list.

Yeah see the edit I made to the post. That's the TV Tokyo site. I initially wanted to check the official Pokémon site Pokemon.co.jp since they have episode lists that do not include "specials". Like this DP list for example: ポケットモンスター ダイヤモンド・パール | ポケットモンスターオフィシャルサイト
Sadly though Pokemon.co.jp lacks such a list for XY, they only have these for complete series, so I guess we'll only be able to see that once XY is over.

I didn't read you're whole post.

XY082: Over the Mountain of Snow!
Airs: September 26
Source: Zap2it

While "XY & Z" is a Japanese thing that mainly shouldn't affect the dub TOO much, I realized it happens to be timed very nicely for the dub...
It seems like for Japan XY092 will be the final XY ep before switching to XY&Z. (unless there's an ep 93 yet to be revealed but I can see that spot being a break to balance the next week being a 1 hour airing)
If the dub will keep airing weekly, they should reach XY092 around early December, which will probably also be the month they'll air the Hoopa movie.
I can see them ending Season 18 at that point to fit with the Japanese XY series end, leaving that season with a 44 ep count, which is similar to S17's 48 ep count.
So I predict December will be the end of Season 18, airing of Movie 18, then a little break until in February they start airing Season 19 starting with the first "XY&Z" episode.
I know I didn't really come up with anything "special" and all of that is rather obvious probably, just wanted to get it out there.
I wonder if they'll bother updating the title screen to have Serena's new look for S19 at least since it seems lost for S18... actually, who knows, maybe we'll even get a brand new ep title screen from the Japanese version that they might start using too...

Now the real question is if they'll bother dubbing the following:
-Movie 18's short
-Movie 18's prequel
-These 6 Hoopa one-minute-shorts
I can see the short being too much of a bother due to its musical theme although I mostly believe they'll do it. The prequel has one scene that might be problematic so they'll either skip it for that reason or censor that scene. The one-minute-shorts they'll probably not bother just cause they're so extremely short (not even truly one min more like 40 seconds each... and unlike the Mega Evo Dex they're hardly exciting, although cute/funny, but I can see them ignoring that)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and there's that Cosplay Pikachu ep... I bet we'll see it one way or another around the same time they'll air Movie 18 as some sort of a tie in due to the ep's theme being making a movie and the fact Cosplay Pikachu also appear in the movie...

XY083: Adventures in Running Errands!
Airs: October 10
Source: Cartoon Network

XY084: Mending a Broken Spirit!
Airs: October 17
Source: Cartoon Network

XY085: A Legendary Photo Op!
Airs: October 24

XY086: The Tiny Caretaker!
Airs: October 31

Last edited:
XY088: The Frocking Find in the Flowers!
Airs: November 14

SS033: Lights! Camera! Pika!
Airs: November 21

Last edited:
So Cosplay Pikachu special is really going to air after XY088. Anyway, XY089 will be in next week. But no signs of XY087 Clemont and Bunnelby's meeting episode.

I assume XY087 is on November 7th, then? So they're putting the Cosplay Pikachu stuff in the middle of the Eevee/Serena mini-arc. Can't say I'm too happy with the placement really.

Let's wait until CN shows the schedule for November 7th, 2015. I'm sure XY087 will be aired. While in Canada they'll air it immediately in November 1st, 2015.

DS0308 said:
I assume XY087 is on November 7th, then? So they're putting the Cosplay Pikachu stuff in the middle of the Eevee/Serena mini-arc. Can't say I'm too happy with the placement really.

It's the Diamond & Pearl Riolu two-parter all over again!

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom