• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Season 19: Pokémon the Series: XYZ - Dub Title Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if the first title was official. I don't remember seeing it on Cartoon Network's website or Pokemon.com.

Click on the "Saturdays at 8A/7C" banner. It's hidden under there for some reason.

I think the first episode title and summary were faked. They supposedly came from this image, but a website is even easier to fake than magazine scans.

3hhU8B2BUm2jYQrCu2wbq3hFoKUBg0W9V5aQ8C8YIc.png

Misty-Moo said:
I remember seeing an interview years ago with someone who dubbed anime. They said (leaving aside the differences in sentence structure) the main problem with lip syncing was that on the whole, Japanese words end with a vowel sound and English words end with a consonant. The upshot of this is English characters end their sentences with a closed mouth and Japanese characters end them with an open mouth. This is why things such as name length or the number of syllables in said new name get changed.

That doesn't make any sense at all.

abcboy said:
I think the first episode title and summary were faked. They supposedly came from this image, but a website is even easier to fake than magazine scans.

The writing style is also a dead giveaway, especially the unnatural number of times they repeat the word "Squishy" throughout.

...What? Choosing "right" over "yes" has absolutely nothing to do with the mouthflaps.
I really don't want to derail this thread any further and realise this is somewhat moot considering the crudeness and somewhat slipshod nature of the original lip-synching of the anime, but alright.
I'm talking about phonetic similarities, "Hai" and "Right" share an "ay" vowel sound, whereas "Yes" contains and "eh" sound, which are formed by two completely different mouth shapes -
1.JPG
My original post concerned the subject of dubbing in general, be it anime or live-action, not just specifically in Pokemon.

So are they going back to the "pun in every episode title" of the Johto-Sinnoh days?

Also, I'm pretty sure the reason why they gave Ash a last name ("Ketchum") was to fix the syllable difference between "Satoshi" and "Ash" when they couldn't find another way around it.

I'm talking about phonetic similarities, "Hai" and "Right" share an "ay" vowel sound, whereas "Yes" contains and "eh" sound, which are formed by two completely different mouth shapes -

Except Japanese animation almost never makes those distinctions since the mouth flaps are usually just open - close - open - close. Animating differences in mouth shapes is rarely ever done outside Western animation.

technickal said:
Also, I'm pretty sure the reason why they gave Ash a last name ("Ketchum") was to fix the syllable difference between "Satoshi" and "Ash" when they couldn't find another way around it.

Which is why they just call him "Ash" 95% of the time...?

Why did they change Kojirou to "James" then?

Why did they change Kojirou to "James" then?

To match Musashi being renamed "Jessie", which, by the way, is only one syllable short of the original name.

The first title is bad. It's a nice reference to the start of the Z arc but does not fit the mood of the episode at all.
The second title...yikes.:confused:
The third title is really over the top but is more decent than the other two.

And please, take the mouthflap debate to another place, this is the second time it happens!

Thanks to nhjm as always for this batch.

04 - A Fiery Rite of Passage
05 - Dream a Little Dream from Me!
06 - The Legend of the Ninja Hero!
07 - A Festival of Decisions!
08 - A Dancing Debut!
09 - Meeting at Terminus Cave!
10 - A Cellular Connection!
11 - A Windswept Encounter!
12 - Party Dancecapades!

They are tentative. So, if there's a change in future, don't be surprised.

Well 04 and 05 titles are spot on since I just checked them out on zap2it.

XY106: A Meeting Of Two Journeys!
Airs: May 21
Source: Zap2it

XY107: An Explosive Operation!
Airs: May 28

XY108: A Watershed Moment!
Airs: June 4

XY109: Master Class Choices!
Airs: June 11

XY110: An Electrifying Rage!
Airs: June 18

XY111: Unlocking Some Respect!
Airs: June 18, 2016

XY112: Master Class is in Session!
Airs: June 25

XY113: Performing a Pathway to the Future!
Airs: July 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom