• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Season 21: Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon - Ultra Adventures - Dub Episode Titles Thread

I have to wonder if this is the reason why we haven't seen any Jynx in the anime since Battle Frontier
That may be, although Jynx did appear in its recolored design during the Advanced Generation series, and nothing special happened to those episodes, so I don't think Jynx's current design has any major issues that would prevent it from being shown in an episode.

That may be, although Jynx did appear in its recolored design during the Advanced Generation series, and nothing special happened to those episodes, so I don't think Jynx's current design has any major issues that would prevent it from being shown in an episode.

True but as I say, we haven't had any Jynx since then, would be nice to see Pokemon we haven't seen in a while reappear

Are they serious? They skipped the Passimian episode because Ash slightly paints his face gray (not even black, but gray) to look like Passiamian. That's just ridiculous, I'm black and the idea of associating Ash pretending to be a Passimian with blackface never even crossed my mind. There's nothing racist about that and certainly no child is going to look at that and think "Ash is being racist". Kids nowadys probably don't even know what blackface is. Ugh, I can't believe one of my favorite fillers is being skipped because people are too hypersensitive these days.

Last edited:
I think that they're more worried about parents' reactions towards Ash dressing up as a Passimian more so than what kids would think of it. I'm sure not a lot of kids would have a problem with it or know what blackface is for that matter. It was an adult woman who first pointed out how Jynx's design looked similar to blackface if I recall correctly, so they probably wanted to avoid something similar happening with this episode.

I'd also hesitate brushing this off as just people being hypersensitive/overly sensitive. That is often used to undermine/belittle other people's feelings. It's rare when it doesn't come off as insulting or condescending. It still reads more like TPCI is being cautious because they don't want another Jynx controversy. They could probably have aired the episode as it was, but it could be really easy for some parents or a parent group to get upset over Ash's costume. Instead of dealing with another controversy or spending the money to have paint edits for a filler episodes, they just chose to skip it. It might be an overly cautious decision, but I can understand why they did it and I wouldn't just brush off the entire country as just being full of overly sensitive people.

I think that they're more worried about parents' reactions towards Ash dressing up as a Passimian more so than what kids would think of it. I'm sure not a lot of kids would have a problem with it or know what blackface is for that matter. It was an adult woman who first pointed out how Jynx's design looked similar to blackface if I recall correctly, so they probably wanted to avoid something similar happening with this episode.

I'd also hesitate brushing this off as just people being hypersensitive/overly sensitive. That is often used to undermine/belittle other people's feelings. It's rare when it doesn't come off as insulting or condescending. It still reads more like TPCI is being cautious because they don't want another Jynx controversy. They could probably have aired the episode as it was, but it could be really easy for some parents or a parent group to get upset over Ash's costume. Instead of dealing with another controversy or spending the money to have paint edits for a filler episodes, they just chose to skip it. It might be an overly cautious decision, but I can understand why they did it and I wouldn't just brush off the entire country as just being full of overly sensitive people.
I don't mean that all Americans would be overly sensitive. I'm not trying to be racist here. It's just that the people who point out the facts they consider racist just tend to make a big fuss about it.

And Pokémon is not the only thing in which I've run into this kind of issues. As a massive reader of Donald Duck, I've read a story which has a big environmental message about pollution and over-deforestation, which was banned in America due to the story featuring a tribe of dwarf Indians, what with native Americans being another sensitive issue in the USA.

So yeah. It might not be a lot of people who would get riled up about the whole "blackface" thing, but those that do, make an unreasonably lot of noise about it and make it seem like a bigger problem than it actually is by doing so. I understand that the history of racism in the USA may have caused this sensitiveness as a counter reaction, but still, I feel that the people who point out these kinds of things often seem to forget to ask themselves if the stuff they're seeing was meant to be offensive, and I can guarantee you that at least most, if not all of the time in official media, it wasn't.

What a pain.

I just went back and fixed the TV Tropes episode pages around the Passimian issue. I didn't even give a second thought to the issue since Ash's entire face wasn't painted. It didn't cross my mind in the least.

I don't mean that all Americans would be overly sensitive. I'm not trying to be racist here. It's just that the people who point out the facts they consider racist just tend to make a big fuss about it.

And Pokémon is not the only thing in which I've run into this kind of issues. As a massive reader of Donald Duck, I've read a story which has a big environmental message about pollution and over-deforestation, which was banned in America due to the story featuring a tribe of dwarf Indians, what with native Americans being another sensitive issue in the USA.

So yeah. It might not be a lot of people who would get riled up about the whole "blackface" thing, but those that do, make an unreasonably lot of noise about it and make it seem like a bigger problem than it actually is by doing so. I understand that the history of racism in the USA may have caused this sensitiveness as a counter reaction, but still, I feel that the people who point out these kinds of things often seem to forget to ask themselves if the stuff they're seeing was meant to be offensive, and I can guarantee you that at least most, if not all of the time in official media, it wasn't.

I didn't think your comment before was racist. I've just always found the whole "people are overly sensitive" really frustrating, especially when people have said that about me whenever I've gotten upset. That's one reason why that response bothers me here. It just comes off as belittling how other people feel. As for the whole meant to be offensive, I think that's kind of a moot point. Just because something wasn't meant to be offensive doesn't mean that people can't be offended by it. I'm sure that Jynx's original design wasn't meant to resemble blackface, or at least that Japanese people wouldn't be as familiar with that racist imagery as people in the U.S. are, but that didn't mean that people couldn't be upset over its original design.

Granted, I don't know if Ash dressing up as a Passimian would be offensive to people like Jynx was, but this still seems more like they just don't want to deal with another potential controversy. which I can't really blame them for.

Just saw the preview of Episode 82.

Jessie and James are back to cross-dressing.

Looks like we may be losing another episode. :cautious:

EDIT: I read the article again, and it only mentioned Disney XD in the US. Is Episode 64 scheduled to air anywhere? They're making it sound like the episode was dubbed.

Last edited:
This episode being banned is honestly so disappointing, and I wasn't even particularly looking forward to it. It really does bother me that the anime is still getting tripped up by American culture 19 years after Holiday Hi-Jynx. Can we at least get an airing for other English-speaking nations who aren't as offended by blackface?

Just saw the preview of Episode 82.

Jessie and James are back to cross-dressing.

Looks like we may be losing another episode. :cautious:

EDIT: I read the article again, and it only mentioned Disney XD in the US. Is Episode 64 scheduled to air anywhere? They're making it sound like the episode was dubbed.

I don't think cross-dressing is nearly as problematic compared to blackface. Not to mention James has had at least one cross dressing disguise in the TPCI dub. There was one episode in XY where he dressed up as a Nurse Joy, so I highly doubt that they'll skip that episode just because Jessie and James are cross dressing.

I don't think cross-dressing is nearly as problematic compared to blackface. Not to mention James has had at least one cross dressing disguise in the TPCI dub. There was one episode in XY where he dressed up as a Nurse Joy, so I highly doubt that they'll skip that episode just because Jessie and James are cross dressing.
James also cross-dressed in the 4Kids dub, so I'm doubtful TPCi will be skipping this one as well, given they too aired a cross-dressed James ep back in XY like you said. The dub has never had a problem with James' effeminate tendencies in the past, so I doubt they'd have an issue with it now (then again, people were surprised back in the BW dub when Meowth didn't realize he was homosexual for a Purrloin with Oshawott or something, yet 4Kids & TPCi were fine with Harley acting that way as well as James back in the AG-DP dubs, so it wouldn't surprise me if people get shocked if this one comes overseas with no problems even though there's a precedence for this being okay with the dub here like that was).

It would be absurd to expect them to edit the whole episode, it would be too expensive and too much work for a filler episode.
I never said they had to edit the whole episode, though, Ash only ends up disguising himself into a Passimian during the second half for the most part? And I mean, TPCi ordered OLM to reanimate whole minutes of footage in XYZ's dub to censor the crucifying scene, so that's not out of the realm of possibility for them having the capability to do that again here, if they wanted. I get the whole "this is filler so they don't want to spend time on doing that" point of view, sure, but they could just as easily do this if they were capable of doing that then, they just probably don't see the need to do that given it's a filler like you guys are saying.

I mean, it isn't hard to re-animate some of these cels apparently, someone on 4chan just did this edit in a few seconds and it solves the problem so, it's not that absurd to me...

1531260557488.jpg

Last edited:
I forget how many scenes/minutes Ash was in that cross position, but that was kind of a necessity. They couldn't just skip over those episodes. They could potentially do the same with this one episode, but it still comes down to whether or not it is worthwhile in the long run. Editing one image is easy to do, but they'd have to do it for half of the episode and that's probably harder than what some random person on 4chan can do with one image.

Personally, I think they could get away with recoloring Passimian!Ash as a Shiny, and making an "error" where they painted his face blue.

Have any other titles come out recently?

This particular dub title is cringe-worthy, reminds me of a Nick Jr. show's in fact: up there with "Yo Ho Ho, Go Popplio," "That's Why The Litten is a Scamp," etc. as some of TPCi's weakest ones in the SM dub era.
Though, hopefully TVNZ will leak this ep online in a few days in English dub form.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom