• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Second Stage Pokémon You Like Better Than Their Final Stage

-Hakamo-o over Kommo-o
-Torracat over incineroar (though I love both)
-Grovyle over Sceptile (barely)
-Pikachu over Raichu (again barely)
-Croagunk over Toxicroak
-Growlithe over Arcanine
-Electabuzz, Magmar and Rhydon over their gen IV evos

All I can think of right now.

Rhydon. Rhyperior is not pretty to look at. Same goes for Electabuzz, Electevire won't win any beauty pageants anytime soon.

Magmortar is tolerable in my eyes, so I didn't list Magmar.

Wow, what is everyone's problem with Dragonite?
The transition is a completely different design from the prior form, as if it were an unrelated Pokemon.

(...ever notice how Butterfree looks kinda like a winged Venonat?)

Rhydon. Rhyperior is not pretty to look at. Same goes for Electabuzz, Electevire won't win any beauty pageants anytime soon.
Oh boy does that open a can of Wurmples. A lot of Sinnoh's cross-gen evolutions just look ... y'know, bad.

Last edited:
The transition is a completely different design from the prior form, as if it were an unrelated Pokemon.

(...ever notice how Butterfree looks kinda like a winged Venonat?)
There's a theory floating around that Venomoth and Butterfree got switched around, but since no developer has commented on it, there's no way to know if it's true.

Torracat and Braixen both look sleek and elegant, but Incineroar and Delphox are really disappointing. Although I do like Typhlosion, Quilava is slightly more cool-looking.

Electabuzz and Magmar- I prefer them over their evolutions, which I hate
Torracat- Incineroar is my most hated mon
Ivysaur- I never liked Venusaur
Vigoroth- Slaking is ok but I prefer Vigoroth's design so much more.

Ivysaur
Charmeleon
Wartortle
Clefairy
Jigglypuff
Rhydon
Chansey
Magmar
Flaaffy
Servine
Dewott
Krokorok
Gothorita
Fraxure
Braixen
Torracat
Steenee
Hakamo-o

that's not to say i dislike or hate any of these (tho i don't care about nethier Serperior nor Delphox)

Electabuzz and Magmar- I prefer them over their evolutions, which I hate
Torracat- Incineroar is my most hated mon
Ivysaur- I never liked Venusaur
Vigoroth- Slaking is ok but I prefer Vigoroth's design so much more.
what about Rhydon, Dewott and Gothorita?

just saying

Even though the line is pretty bad and I'm not fond of it, I do like Bayleef's design better than it's final form. It has a nice design, doesn't look too goofy or out of place in its line, strikes a nice balance between cute and tough, the leaf with a notch on its head is a nice detail, and it has a cute cry. So, while the line as a whole is not a favorite of mine, I do like Bayleef more than the rest of its line.

Dividing this into four categories...

Pokemon that have final stages I like, but are still reluctant to evolve:
Dragonair, Pikachu, Bayleef, Dewott, Floette.
Pokemon that have final stages that are just decent/okay and I wish they were a little different: Jigglypuff, Machoke, Rhydon, Prinplup, Braixen.
Pokemon that have final stages that I don't like: Poliwhirl in Gen I (Politoed is what Poliwrath should've been in the first place), Torracat.
Pokemon that have final stages that should go die in a fire: Vanillish. (Okay I don't like Vanillish that much either but if I could pick between a sentient ice cream cone with one face and a sentient ice cream cone with two faces I'd pick the former. And Vanillite beats both of its evolutions in sheer adorableness, so there.)

Last edited:
Dragonair is the only one that stands out to me, really.

Does Heracross count? Its mega is...very awkward looking.

Literally none of them because I care far far more about battling capabilities than something so trivial/inconsequential as design. Porygon2 in particular is a no go; that demon wronged me so hard on my favourite PMD game once.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom