• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Event Secret Santa 2020: Return of the Santa

Reaction score
Welcome one and all to the Secret Santa event for 2020. If you've ever done any kind of Secret Santa before, then you've got a rough idea of how this is gonna go down. But here's the overview
  1. People who want to take part in the event express their interest in the thread, and if you want, you can answer some or all of the questions listed at the end of the OP to help your Secret Santa know what to give you. Sign ups will remain open until the 1st of December.
  2. Once sign-ups are done, each player will be randomly assigned to another, this will be the person you gift to. Remember that this is Secret Santa, so you won't know who got you, nobody will know who you've gotten. So shhhhhhh.
  3. Once you've been assigned your recipient, you'll have a few days to put together a theme (avatar, signature, usertitle, and optionally a location) for that player to use (The avatars and signatures do not need to be made by yourself, using pre-existing images is fine). Send the theme you've created to me and I'll forward them through to your recipient.
  4. Once you have your theme simply set it up on your account and use it throughout the holiday season.
Now, while this is meant to be a fun game to play, we do have a few rules to keep in mind
  • Keep themes appropriate and friendly. You can make pretty much any kind of theme you want, but just remember to keep it within the forum rules, and don't go for anything too embarrassing or intentionally mean spirited.
  • Use the theme you're given. By signing up for the event you're agreeing to use the theme that your Santa has created for you, even if it's not what you expected or even a little bit embarrassing. That's just part of the fun. If you really aren't comfortable with the theme you've received though, let me know and I'll try to work something out.
  • Stay on time. Please try to create your theme in a timely manner. It's no fun if the player only gets their theme a few days before the month's end. If you don't think you're going to have time to put together the theme, then maybe you should pass this year. If something comes up to prevent you from making the theme during the prep period, then just let me know and I'll try to work something out. The intent is for all themes to be made and distributed by the 15th of December.
  • Make sure the avatars and signatures are within the forum limits. I will double check all of these before I forward them on to the recipient, but it'll just be easier on everyone if you make sure they're all within the limits and ready to go once you send them. The signature limits are as follows:
    2. Don't have a signature outside the allowed limits (Excessive signature, 2 points, 1 month)
    -The combined size of all images and text should not exceed 160 tall, and 500 kB. Spoiler tags, scroll bars, etc are not allowed.
    The avatar limit is 50 kB. This has nothing to do with any forum rules, it's just the max size the forum will let you upload for avatars.
  • Do you have a favorite movie or genre of movie?
  • Video game? TV show? Book series? Song/Artist?
  • What is your favorite color?
  • Do you have any favorite celebrities or fictional characters?
  • What is your favorite Pokémon or Pokémon character?
  • Do you have any interests or hobbies you really enjoy that wasn't covered by the other questions?
  • Is anything completely off limits as a gift? (you can PM me personally if you'd like and I can let only your Secret Santa know if it's more personal)

Very interested to see the things people come up with. Have fun and Happy Holidays!

(If you're wondering: We're putting this up early this year because last year was a rushed event because we forgot. We wanted to give everyone much more time this year)

I'll sign up :)

Answers to questions:
Favourite Video Games - Pokemon Games, Sonic Games
Favourite TV Shows - Red Dwarf, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Digimon Adventure, Digimon Adventure 02, Digimon Tamers, Digimon Frontier, Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Star Trek: Enterprise, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Merlin (2008 Series)
Favourite Colour - Green
Favourite Pokemon - Mew

Last edited:
I'll try to keep this simple, rather than my big long lists from prior years, mostly anime and games :v

Video Games:
Recently gotten back into Final Fantasy XV. AI: The Somnium Files, Danganronpa, Steins;Gate, Zero Escape are all Visual Novels I enjoy.
Other noteable games are, Persona 5 (and Royal), the newer Fire Emblem games (Awakening onwards), Hitman, Valkyria Chronicles and Nier: Automata

Anime/Manga I Like:
Strap yourselves in, this ones a long one.
Code Geass & Psycho-Pass are my two favourite anime series.
Manga I own (and thus like) include, My Hero Academia, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun, Tokyo Ghoul, Black Butler, Death Note, Assassination Classroom and Saga of Tanya the Evil.

Favourite Colour:
Royal Purple

I think that should be easy enough, basically just pick a series and go with it :enzap:

In!

• Do you have a favorite movie or genre of movie?
My favourite movies are (appropriately Christmas-y) Home Alone and Home Alone 2.

• Video game?
Pokemon, obv. (fave games are Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, Platinum, Black/White/Black 2/White 2)
Also Zork Nemesis. King's Quest, favourite one is VII. Space Quest, favourite one is IV. Peggle, Peggle Nights. The Incredible Machine 3. Rayman and Rayman 2 (but none of the others!). Neverball and Neverputt. And Spider Solitaire, lol.

• TV show?
Just too many.
The Thick of It is my absolute fave, I would say I quote it the most.

• Song/Artist?
Too many favourite songs, but a lot of them are by these artists:
The Beatles
Florence & the Machine
Marina and the Diamonds
Sara Bareilles
Lily Allen
Kesha

Dark Green, and maybe Sky Blue

• Do you have any favorite celebrities or fictional characters?
The comedy creation of Peter Serafinowicz that is Brian Butterfield could be a fave celebrity, lol.
Fictional characters - Mostly NPCs in Pokemon. Hoenn Elite Four (particularly Glacia). Unova gym leaders (particularly Iris). Oh, Gordon from Thomas the Tank Engine. And Rheneas. But not CGI animation Thomas era!!

• What is your favorite Pokémon or Pokémon character?
I basically have a top 8 - Meganium, Miltank, Flygon, Walrein, Salamence, Alomomola, Mandibuzz and Keldeo. It extends to their evolutionary relatives, too. And I love both Keldeo's forms. Rampardos has almost gained a top-tier spot for me too.

Whitney is my favourite gym leader. Glacia is my favourite Elite Four member. Arcade Star Dahlia is my favourite Frontier Brain.

• Do you have any interests or hobbies you really enjoy that wasn't covered by the other questions?
Dogs are awesome. Big dogs, specifically. Also birds of prey. Forests. Mountains. These are relevant... words.

• [Favorite] Video game?
    • Pokémon, specifically Black and White for the core series and PMD: Blue Rescue Team/DX and Explorers of Sky.
    • I tend to like dark teals.
  • What is your favorite Pokémon?
    • Top 9 favorite Pokémon (descending order): Turtonator, Flygon, Hydreigon, Garchomp, Haxorus, Noivern, Sceptile, Silvally, Lycanroc-Midday.
    • Favorite Pokémon of each type:
      • index.php
    • I used to collect crystalline minerals like amethyst.
    • I do like to do art, whether it be nature photography (animals, etc.), physical drawing (pen and ink, pencil, or watercolor), or pixel art.
    • I also like hiking/walking in nature trails. Really I just like nature in general.
  • Is anything completely off limits as a gift? (you can PM me personally if you'd like and I can let only your Secret Santa know if it's more personal)
    • I'd say human characters are off limits.

Last edited:
  • Staff
@SpinyShell @NMLewis @Rainbow Cloud @ZinnLav
Okay folks, I now have all four submissions. As soon as my head stops thumping, I will get these out to you. Expect them in the next 48 hours.

How long you use them is up to you, but I'd recommend using them until at least the end of the year.

• Staff
All secret santa gifts have been sent out. I hope everyone enjoys them, I definitely thought they were all amazing.

I will reveal who got who on the New Years Day, Australian time. Please don't tell the person you got until then.

I hope everyone has a very happy holidays.

It's lovely, thank you my Secret Santa.

Still a bit of a shame not many people joined this year, but I guess that's how it is, nobody engages much anymore.

The reveal

It is now 30th December 2020, and the holiday season is coming to a close.

I would once again like to say that I think all four of you did an amazing job, and I really enjoyed running this years Secret Santa. I look forward to running it again in 2021.

NMLewis provided SpinyShell's presents.
Rainbow Cloud provided ZinnLav's presents.
SpinyShell provided Rainbow Cloud's presents.
ZinnLav provided NMLewis' presents.

Before you leave, I would love to hear what you thought about this event, the process of creating the presents, and any other thoughts of suggestions you have.

I hope everyone has a wonderful new year.

Wish more people participated.
I feel like it wasn't as easy to make like in previous years, but then I was largely unfamiliar with a lot of Lewis' favourite things, I work better when I know the source, but that's just up to who I got more than anything I think.

Back
Top Bottom