• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Seeking 'Iron Fist' Chimchar

PD83

Reaction score
So, as the title says, I am looking for an 'Iron Fist' Chimchar, with preferably high IV's and a "Jolly" nature. Thanks to anyone who helps out!

P.S Small little question: Why does it matter if a Pokemon has high IV's or low IV's? Doesn't EV training just bring the same result regardless?

I don't have a Chimchar but I think I can answer your question for you. IV's and EV's (individual values and effort vaules) are two different things. IV's cannot be trained/changed and are given to a Pokemon at birth. EV's are the ones that can be trained, and are trained throughout battling various Pokemon. It matters in competitive battling, where most/all trainers EV train there Pokemon to bring out max results. The higher the IV's and EV's, the stronger your Pokemon are.

Incase you want more info;
Individual values - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Effort values - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Hope that helps!

I dont have a Iron Fist but I could do you a shiny naive/jolly chimchar with egg moves and maxed ivs.

I dont have a Iron Fist but I could do you a shiny naive/jolly chimchar with egg moves and maxed ivs.

That's a really appealing offer, Codface, and I'm heavily considering it. However, I'll have to see some other offers before I make a final decision.

I don't have a Chimchar but I think I can answer your question for you. IV's and EV's (individual values and effort vaules) are two different things. IV's cannot be trained/changed and are given to a Pokemon at birth. EV's are the ones that can be trained, and are trained throughout battling various Pokemon. It matters in competitive battling, where most/all trainers EV train there Pokemon to bring out max results. The higher the IV's and EV's, the stronger your Pokemon are.

Incase you want more info;
Individual values - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Effort values - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Skuntank. I just didn't know the relationship between the two. So if IV's are high, the potential for a stat is also high?

IVs and EV training make a big difference.

Infernape 1 has 15 (mid point) IV atp and rounded EV of 85 in each

Vs

Infernape 2 has 31 (maxed) IV and trained EV of 252

Infernape 1 has 249 Atp
Infernape 2 has 307 Atp

Thats over 20% more Atp

Oh and if you think that well infernape 2 would be much lower in other areas. That is incorrect.

Mid point EV (15) and IV (85) training will give 36points towards the end stats. Simply having a maxed IV gives 31 points that means even without any training in a certain area the IV maxed pokemon is almost as good as the average fully trained one while having super high stats in those areas you really want.

Anyway give me a shout if you want a chimchar Blaze version.

IVs and EV training make a big difference.

Infernape 1 has 15 (mid point) IV atp and rounded EV of 85 in each

Vs

Infernape 2 has 31 (maxed) IV and trained EV of 252

Infernape 1 has 249 Atp
Infernape 2 has 307 Atp

Thats over 20% more Atp

Oh and if you think that well infernape 2 would be much lower in other areas. That is incorrect.

Mid point EV (15) and IV (85) training will give 36points towards the end stats. Simply having a maxed IV gives 31 points that means even without any training in a certain area the IV maxed pokemon is almost as good as the average fully trained one while having super high stats in those areas you really want.

Anyway give me a shout if you want a chimchar Blaze version.

Do you have one of your Chimchars with an "Adamant" nature? If not, I'll still take the "Jolly" one, I just think "Adamant" would work better for a late-game wallbreaker.

I could but I'd have to use not special egg move Chimchar parents.

For Naive/Jolly I can do eggs with Counter, Fake Out and Encore.

Plus Infernape is best used as a Naive SAtk/Atk late wall breaker since with a mix it can deal with any type of wall.

If you want a pure power late game sweeping fighting/Fire Adamant pokemon you want a Speed Boost Torchic since it hits harder and gets too quick to counter very quickly. I can do those too.

I could but I'd have to use not special egg move Chimchar parents.

For Naive/Jolly I can do eggs with Counter, Fake Out and Encore.

Plus Infernape is best used as a Naive SAtk/Atk late wall breaker since with a mix it can deal with any type of wall.

If you want a pure power late game sweeping fighting/Fire Adamant pokemon you want a Speed Boost Torchic since it hits harder and gets too quick to counter very quickly. I can do those too.

Hmm...well if I do go with the Infernape you're recommending, what could the EV spread be? Before, I was just planning for the iconic 4 HP/252 SpD/252 Atk spread. But he wouldn't be that much of a mixed sweeper with Attack so much more than S. Attack, right?

Well I'll try Adamant for you with Egg moves but I am not promising anything and might end up having to do it Naive. Its much tougher to rng a near perfect stat mon thats shiny without an everstone.

If its Naive just go a 252 Spd and whatever mix of Stak/Atk you fancy. Most people would take 2 moves of one type and put 200+ points in that and one move of the other just to cover vs physical/special walls. Than 4th slot for Encore or Fake out dependant on if double or singles is your thing. Encore stops healing/boosters and fake out gives that free turn.

Alright. I've decided to go full physical sweeper w/ this Infernape. If you can't get that one, then go with the Torchic. I realized the rest of my team have decent SpA stats. However, I might need an OU Special Sweeper along with Infernape/Blaziken just to be safe. The rest of my team atm is Hydreigon, Bronzong (an exception to that "high SpA" thing), and Vaporeon (I'm putting the team together right now). Any recommendations?

Ok I got an Adamant one for you

Chimchar *
Spr_5b_390_s.png
Adamant Male with Blaze
IVs: 31/31/31/31/30/31
Egg moves: Counter, Fake Out & Encore

I should be around to delivery it on wifi from 4pm to 5pm EST. Do you want any nickname or such?

Also please note terms of this trade is no cloning and no putting it at any point on pokecheck or any other pokeinfo website etc.

Alright. That is good, especially w/ maxed IV's and Adamant. What do you want in return? Anything?

Nah I dont need anything. Am happy to do it.

Just make sure to give me your friend code and an exact time you'll be in the wifi room so I dont have to wait round for hour.

Alternatly just put a lv 1 bred pokemon of any type on the gts asking for a chimchar and pm me what it is and your username and I'll trade this guy for it. Just make sure not to do something there is hundreds of like a vulpix.

Alright, I've traded w/ Codface. If anyone is interested, I will still take a female 'Iron Fist' Chimchar. Nothing more to it than that.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom