• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TEEN: Seiren

Chapter 8
what's up gamers this time things happen in this fic crazy i know right

rated... teen? i'm not sure if some things would warrant a mature rating, but i don't think mature when i think this chapter, so i guess rated teen for now. there's a lot of language and mentions of violence.

anyway let's go and yes that is a prism reference in the title

---

CHAPTER 8
Pallet Patrol

---
I swear, people are too responsible nowadays. It took a good two freezing hours to finally get someone to fetch me a bottle of fine wine and trashy booze from the liquor store, and the little sneasel had to haggle for a higher pay than I’d intended, too. At least he kept his end of the deal. If he hadn’t, then I would’ve been the sneasel of us two, but more in terms mauling than being sneaky.

I turn to the window again, surveying the darkness outside for any vehicle arriving at Pallet Town Square. Nothing yet. I hope she comes soon. I think the employees of this bookstore are starting to realize I’m not here to buy anything, even if I’ve been pretending to be interested in a couple of random books in the shelves. The bottle of wine I’m carrying is already suspicious. I had to remove the seal to mix in the vodka. I’ll tell Shirlee it was to test the taste or something. In case we couldn’t drink it together. I did pay a pretty penny for it - I’ll find some way to rephrase that - and a high schooler’s money is limited.

That’s partly true, anyway. I‘m no longer in high school, but my money is limited, even if the money my mother sends over is more than enough. It’s her way of ensuring the communication between us is minimized. Here’s some money, now shut up. Well, I’m not complaining. It’s a good system for me, and that’s the only person it needs to be good for.

New lights appear outside. Moving, yes. Dark car, long car, limo. Gotta be Shirlee. I slip the book I’ve been handling back into its place on the shelf and head for the exit. On my way out, I catch a glimpse of some red-shirted employees arriving where I used to be. Left right on time, it seems.

The air changes from warm and paper-scented to cold and damp. I shudder a little, but keep walking towards the limo that’s stopped at the edge of the cobblestone plaza. It’s clear I’m not the only one that’s noticed the luxurious black vehicle, either, as it draws bewildered stares from all those passing through the Square. What business would anyone important have in little old Pallet?

As I’ve almost reached the vehicle, one of its doors opens. A floating winter coat floats out. It spots me soon after and raises a sleeve to wave.

“Hi!” chirps the inkay within the coat.

Well, this is where I put on the mask. I wave back and smile, rushing the final steps to her and ignoring the growing tingling in my wrist. “Hey there! Enjoy your trip?”

“Yeah! Thanks,” she says, then gestures to the bottle in my hands, eyes big and curious. “What’cha got there?”

Why, the potion of career destruction, of course! I put on my warmest demeanor for this. “Well… I wanted to show my appreciation for all that you’ve done for me, so I got something for you.” I offer it to the impressed inkay. “Here you go.”

“Ooh...” She grasps the bottle. “Thank you!”

I should probably address the broken seal before she notices it, so it doesn’t seem like I’m trying to hide that from her. “Ahem, about that broken seal… I-I’m not so good with this fancy wine stuff, so I had to ask the help of an older friend and… he wanted a bit of it too as payment. Sorry about that.”

“Oh, it’s alright,” she laughs, then leans back into the limo. “Let me just put it here so we don’t have to carry it around, and we can get going.”

Wait, what? “Um, aren’t we going by car?” I’m supposed to make you drink there so you’ll be blasted when we do get out!

Shirlee giggles, draws back and shuts the door - no bottle in her hold. “No, silly, we’re gonna walk! I don’t wanna just ogle at things from the window of a limo like some kind of diva, I wanna experience this town!”

Dammit! Well, I guess that changes that plan. But I’ll have you drink that poison yet, you’ll see.

The window at the front of the limo scrolls down. It reveals -- oh, piss off.

“Are you good to go, Miss T?” asks the bearded driver from before, that undying grin shining among the fuzz.

“Yeah, we’re ready! You can head off now,” Shirlee replies.

“Alright,” the driver says. “Have a nice date with your boyfriend!”

Shirlee gasps. “Georgie! Shut up! He’s not my boyfriend!”

“Whatever you say, Miss T,” chuckles Georgie as he scrolls the window back up. “See you!”

The limo’s engine growls, and the vehicle finally drives off. I stealthily cough from the exhaust fumes it kicks up while Shirlee waves the driver goodbye.

“Haha, that was funny what he said, that you were my boyfriend...” she mumbles, then clears her throat, turning to me. “So, what’s our first sight to see?”

I guess I’ll just have to give this tour on foot. At least there’s less of a penalty for making wrong turns this way. “Well… this, actually,” I say, gesturing around us. “Pallet Town Square. The center of the town.”

“Ah!” Shirlee rotates in the air to take in the modest, stony surroundings. “Ooh… yeah, this is way different from the big cities. Even Undella. This is really the center of your town?”

“Yeah, this is… this.”

“Wow, it’s so small and it looks like, so old, too...” Words one usually doesn’t hear in an admiring tone.

I scratch the back of my head. “I’m not sure why you wanted a tour of this place. There isn’t really anything interesting in this town...”

Shirlee giggles. “Because it’s your town, silly,” she says and playfully bumps her forehead onto my chest. Ow, there was a button there… “Of course I wanna know what kinda place raised a sweetie like you!” You’d really get more of an insight to my upbringing if you were to visit my basement instead…

“Alright, then,” I sigh. “We should start moving, it's just gonna get colder if we don't.”

“Where are we going first?” asks Shirlee, swaying with excitement.

“I’ll tell you when we're there. Come on.”

---​

Two days after the night at her hotel, Shirlee told me she could meet me again the next day and that this time she wanted to see my hometown. I started preparing almost immediately. I knew I’d have to give her a full blown tour of Pallet to make it seem like I was a ordinary local of the place. While I am a local, I’m far from ordinary and barely ever venture into town without good reason. Even then, I just use the same couple of straightforward routes I know and love to quickly get in and swiftly get out.

This is why I had to turn to my half-brother Abe, the map freak. When I asked him if he could show me some maps of his, he fell quiet and stared at me like I was a smokin’ hot girl suggesting we make out - extremely willing, but extremely suspicious. Nevertheless, he busted out his Pallet maps and told me all about the most prominent buildings when asked. Of course I only remembered about half of what he said, but I figured it’d be good enough. I wouldn't seem normal if I knew too much, either.

Abe was clearly overjoyed during the entire conversation, even if I wasn't any warmer than I usually am, which is not at all. He probably saw the thing as an actual brotherly bonding experience. Gonna suck for him when he realizes I only consulted him out of convenience. Knowing him, though, he probably never will.

I keep my hands in my pockets to minimize heat loss in the freezing weather as I lead Shirlee roughly along the planned path. For each place of interest, I share the few facts I remember about it, let the inkay ogle it for a while longer and then move on to the next one. It's rather boring, but at least when I’m talking, she isn't.

“We have a bunch more shops around here,” I narrate as the numerous neon titles and signs with percentages come into view. “The school kids like to come here on breaks to buy snacks and such as it's cheap and close.”

The mention of edible things make my organs groan. I turn to Shirlee. “Hey, you hungry? There are some restaurants here too. They're not that fancy, though, so…”

“Oh, psh, it's fine! I don't need any kind of fancy treatment. Just take me someplace tasty and filling.”

“Seafood?”

“Hrmm, we ate seafood last time…”

“Well, pizza then?”

“No, that's too greasy…”

I silence a sigh. “Subs?”

“Oh, subs sound good. Let's go there!”

“Alright, follow me.” I turn and begin to walk.

“Wait!” someone yells. A young girl?

Rapid steps descend upon the gravel of the street. Four tiny legs gallop as fast as they can, a bushy tail wiggling behind and two long ears swaying in front. That’s a sentret. It has a little saddlebags on its sides and a scarf around its neck. Well… if you can call what sentret have a neck.

It stops before Shirlee, catching its breath. “E-excuse me, lady,” it pants, “but are you Shirlee?”

Shirlee swiftly floats down to the little mon’s level, tentacles raised. “Uhh, keep it down, but...” She smiles warmly. “Yeah.”

“Oh my Gods!” the sentret whispers. “This is great! I’m such a big fan! And, and my sister is too! Oh, I’m so honored to meet you, and, like, I hope I’m no trouble --”

“Don’t worry, you’re not,” Shirlee assures, whispering herself. “As long as you don’t call the paparazzi.”

“Oh, no, I wouldn’t, ever! Those are awful!”

“Aw, thanks. Say, would you like a picture with me?”

“R-really? I-I mean, yeah!”

The sentret digs a phone out of its saddlebag and shuffles next to Shirlee. “Uhh...” The mon tries holding the phone out in front of the two, but its arms prove too stubby.

Shirlee notices the girl’s predicament and jumps to her aid. “Hey, Red, can you take a pic of us?”

Well, I have to, don’t I. “Oh, yeah, sure...”

I take the phone the sentret offers to me and snap a photo I hope is decent enough. Man, it’s a good thing I practiced this before.

“Thanks, this is awesome!” the sentret beams as I return the phone. “You’re gonna make my sister so happy, too! A-and she really needs that, she’s been so nervous lately because she’s gonna evolve soon...”

Shirlee’s smile changes. Hm? I know what that is. That’s a fake smile.

Just a second later, however, it regains its authenticity. “Honey, I wish your sister the best of luck, and you too.”

“Thank you so much, you’re amazing! I-I’ll get out of your hair... mantle now.” The sentret returns its phone to its bag and begins hopping away. “B-bye!” it still says from afar, waving its tail.

“Bye!” answers Shirlee, waving back. “Aww, such a sweet kid...” She turns to me. ”Oh, sorry about that. Let’s go get those subs now.”

“Ah, yeah. Let’s.”

---​
Shirlee keeps her gaze on the table as she downs the last bite of her sandwich. With the end of her telekinesis, the buzz in my wrist sizzles out. That sensation gone, the droning rock leaking from the speakers of this restaurant only becomes more prominent. Though ‘restaurant’ seems generous for this place. Looks more like a public restroom someone put tables in and scattered bread crumbs all over. I told her she wouldn’t get fancy, and I certainly kept that promise.

I draw my attention back to Shirlee. She’s been like a deflated balloon ever since that encounter with the fan. But why? There must be some reason I don’t know. Something about her I don’t know… and that something could be a valuable weakness. I need to get her to tell me what it is.

I lower my mostly-eaten sub on the tray. Shirlee had ordered only a half-length for herself, but I was hungry enough for a full one and figured this was an acceptable reason not to mimic her actions so closely. And I’m a predator, you know. Predators eat a lot.

I clear my throat quietly. “Shirlee, can I ask you something?”

“Hm?” Her eyes meet mine, but return to the table after a second. “Sure, what is it?”

“Are you feeling alright? You’ve seemed different ever since that sentret left.”

“Ah… have I? Sorry…”

“Does it have something to do with what she said about her sister evolving?”

Shirlee falls silent. Then, she sighs.

“It’s… it’s dumb,” she mumbles.

Dumb means juicy. I lean forward. “You can tell me. I won’t judge.”

“Eh...”

“If it’s bothering you, I wanna know what it is. Please.”

She stays quiet and still for another while. I wait patiently, knowing it'll pay off any moment now.

“I’m getting everstone surgery soon,” she finally spits out. “And I’m nervous about it.”

Everstone…? Inkay evolve?

True, I never did ask or find out otherwise… she just came across like a single-stage to me. I guess evolution doesn't naturally cross humans’ mind that much, anyway.

So… why doesn't she want to evolve, then? Is it bad somehow? Is there something wrong with her next stage?

“Oh, getting nervous is perfectly natural!” I comfort her, keeping my voice down as she probably wants this to stay secret. “But… why don't you want to evolve?”

“Wh… are you kidding?” She frowns. “Do you not know what malamar are like?”

Shit, I probably should know, since I claim to be such a big fan. But I don't know. So what do I say…

Agh, I’ve hesitated too long. I need to go with the truth. “No… sorry, I don't.”

“Well, that explains it,” she sighs, looking back down. Her face wrinkles in disgust. “Malamar are these… tubby, ugly, slimy, evil-looking garbage bags of… grossness. Nothing like inkay - inkay are small and cute and have happy colors and beautiful voices.”

The sleeves of her coat wrap around her. “Only inkay have any kind of chance at being liked by the public, too. I hate that I'm kind of contributing to that prejudice like this - malamar should be able to live like anyone else, and their appearance doesn't make them any worse as people. I just personally… really don't want to become one."

She stares into my eyes. “But I’m around the age where wild inkay evolve. Or the civilized ones that aren't careful. I’ve felt the symptoms that usually come. I want to eat more, I feel kinda moody, and most importantly, I’ve had weird urges to sleep upside down. Sometimes I wake up that way despite the tricks I try to keep it from happening, and I freak out and I gotta find a mirror. Every time so far I’ve been relieved to still be the mon I fell asleep as in the aquarium, but I can't count on that always happening. That's why I need the everstone implant. So that I can stop worrying.”

Huh.

I guess she does have more to her life than just her fame and riches.

Alright, time to ruin it all.

“So you inkay evolve into this… malamar by… sleeping upside down?”

“Well, not just sleeping. It can also happen during stress or other strong emotions, as long as you're upside down. That's why I dropped all cartwheels and flips from my choreography.”

I see. I see. All very interesting information. Very interesting indeed…

“Yeah, so, when I get that implant, I can sleep in peace,” she continues, a faint smile on her beak. “It's just that I’m nervous about the surgery itself. Anders and everyone else keeps telling me it's super safe, but, like… it's still cutting me open and shoving some pebble in. While I’m only one anaesthetic failure away from feeling it all. It's so scary. But I have to do it. It's gonna make my life so much easier.”

Silence returns. Well, as silent as it can be with a host on the radio announcing which song will be next and a bright lamp buzzing above.

I'm not sure how to approach this. I need to comfort her, sure, but what would be the best way? I don’t know what to say except generic, elementary shit, and I'm supposed to be someone she can trust… damn, I guess this is a downside of avoiding any meaningful relationships for so long.

Or… I do have one meaningful relationship. Could I maybe… pretend Shirlee was my lord?

I study the dejected inkay. Her big eyes and blue body are somewhat similar to His. Okay. So, underneath that coat is my lord, and He’s going to a necessary surgery. Also, He’s momentarily a female inkay and named Shirlee. Uhh, right. Here we go.

I place my hands palm up on the table, offering them to Shirlee. She gives me a puzzled look.

“Shirlee, hold my hands,” I say calmly.

She eyes my palms, then hesitantly places the clubs of her sleeved tentacles on it. The touch is wet and cold - something that would discomfort the average human, but to me, it's an even stronger link to the one I devote my life to. Briefly, I miss Him, but I brush those thoughts away and concentrate back on the matter at hand.

“I know it's scary,” I start. My voice feels oddly… genuine. The words, too. So unprocessed. Unplanned, yet planned at the same time. It feels so strange. Even a little reckless…?

Despite that, I continue. “It's not easy to just… release control of your body and have someone you don't know do complicated things to it while you’re not there to watch them. I understand that, it's a natural fear.

"But these doctors have done surgery after another. They know what to do. They know some patients are scared, too, and they're used to that. They're being paid by you and they're there to serve you and keep you healthy. If they didn't want to do that, they wouldn't have become doctors. And if they don't do that, you can sue. Sue them dead.”

He shows a bashful smile. I mean, Shirlee does.

“Anyway…" I continue. "What I’m saying is, you're gonna be fine. It's gonna go over well, and you're not gonna have to worry about evolving ever again. And I’m gonna be there by your side as much as the doctors allow it. I’ll be there at… hold on, when was this surgery?”

“4 pm, Monday.”

Monday? Oh fuck, oh shit, I’m gonna have to be fast. Well, I’ll get back to that in a minute...

I gently squeeze her clubs. “I’m gonna be there on Monday 4 pm and I’m gonna ease your worries the best I can. That's a promise.”

Her smile evolves to a full one. “Thanks, Red.”

I nod and let go of her tentacles. The disappearance of her touch creates a vacuum, a force driving me to grab her again, but it fades as soon as my brain reminds itself: no, it's not Him.

And it makes my heart ache.

---​

After I'd finished my sub, we picked up where we left off on our tour. For every sight to see, I shared some facts like before, but all the downtime I now used to craft and develop the plan to strike her down once and for all.

Now we leave yet another spot of interest, and… ugh, arrive at one I actually do have personal experience with. Its front-extending wings are like arms welcoming back its lost child. Its single clock-eye in the middle judges me, scolds me for not attending lessons in time, even if I haven't studied here for two years and no classes are held at this hour.

The high school.

Do I really have to come here already? Is there nothing else to talk about on the way? I glance around, but there are only apartments. They’re not even visually interesting, just chunks of white bricks and windows.

“Oh, is this your school?” asks Shirlee. Well, that eliminates any chance of a stall.

I inject some artificial cheer straight into my veins and turn to her. “Yep!” Oh, not that cheery, tone it down a notch. “This is Pallet Town High School for Humans.” Didn't always have that last bit. “The school I w- go to.”

“It's big,” remarks Shirlee. “How many students go here?”

“Something like six hundred, don't know the exact amount.”

“Huh… can you show me around?”

“Well, uhh…” I kick the snow lightly. “There's not much to see from outside, and they don’t like it too much when you lurk around after hours…”

“Oh, I see… well, it was cool to see, at least. What's your school day normally like?”

Looks like I’m just going to have to take this trip down Memory Lane. And by trip I mean actual tripping, because this is going to be about as fun as concrete smashing me in the face.

“Well, I… usually arrive at the school about fifteen minutes before class starts to make sure I’m on time.” Fifteen minutes late on a good day. “I hang out with my friends before the teacher comes in.” I pass the smokers outside, holding my breath to keep the fumes from attacking my lungs. If some new kid riffs on me for it, I grab him by his filthy collar, throw him on the ground and tell him not to do that again if he likes his fingers. Maybe spit on him, depends on how I feel that day. “Class starts, and I try my best to keep up and take notes. Eventually the lesson ends, and another begins…”

I don't know what the hell she's expecting to hear, really. School isn't exactly riveting for the average student.

“Is the food at lunch good?” Shirlee asks, her interest not crumbling by even a bit.

Guess I’ll just lie about the food too, it's not like she's going to investigate. "Oh, yeah, it's wonderful. Like a restaurant. You could take someone on date there."

"Date, huh…" she repeats. "Are you speaking from experience?"

Huh? "No, I was… just exaggerating a little there."

The sleeves of her coat coil together. "Right, I got that… have you dated someone at your school, though?"

Hah! That's a good one, implying anyone would find a suitable mate in that bog of a gene pool!

"Nah," I tell her, for once telling the truth. "I haven't met anyone I would've liked in that way. At school or otherwise, really."

"So, you're single then…?"

Oh no. Where's this going? "Yeah, I guess so?"

She hovers a little bit closer, tentacles coiled around each other. “Um… I’m sorry if this is sudden, but I feel like I should ask this now instead of keeping it in and letting it build up and make things tense...”

“...What is it?” I have a bad feeling about this.

“I was just wondering if you’d, um…” She pauses, takes a deep breath and finally forces herself to make eye contact. “D-do you want to --”

“Red!”

...Huh? Did someone just call my name?

Shirlee stopped, so she must’ve heard, too. It wasn’t just me. But who would even…

Oh no.

Shirlee raises a tentacle and points a club behind me. “I think that guy wants you,” she says. “He’s coming over here. Is he one of your schoolmates?”

With stiff limbs and a spear of dread piercing my heart, I turn around.

Indeed, someone is approaching - a lanky guy around my age. His hair is shaggy and black with a large, bleached quiff. By his side walks a bronze-coated ninetales. And the guy’s face, well...

It’s a face I’ve seen many times marred by bruises received from my own fists. A face I’ve seen cry and beg me to stop, but whimperingly accept its fate when I tell it that a deal's a deal and the terms were clear. And it's a face that's looking mighty pissed right about now.

Oh Gods. Is there any way to save this? Any way to avoid this? Wait! Maybe if I --

“Shirlee!” I whisper, pushing her by the shoulder of her coat. “We need to go! This guy’s dangerous!”

“O-oh, I’m dangerous? I’m dangerous now?” Tamaki yells, striding closer. Shit, he heard me.

“Red, who is this?” asks Shirlee, unnerved and to my horror, making no motions to leave.

“I’ll tell you who I am,” Tamaki weighs in before I have the chance to think of a good lie. “I’m the guy who was the designated punching bag of this fucking psycho over here!”

I turn to stare Tamaki directly in the eye in the most threatening way I can - maybe he still has some fear left in him. “Tamaki, come on...” I say through my teeth.

“That won’t work anymore,” growls the ninetales by Tamaki’s side, whipping its tails. “He’s had two years. We’ve both evolved.”

That must be Renny, then. The vulpix friend I saw Tamaki with sometimes. Fuck, another voice to the choir... I need to get Shirlee out of here quick and think of something to tell her.

I grab her tentacle. “Shirlee, we really should g-”

She yanks it away from my grasp. She looks scared. Oh fuck. Now I’m equally horrified.

“S-so what have you been doing since you left the school, huh?” Tamaki demands, arms raised and standing uncomfortably close. “How many felonies have you committed, you lunatic?”

Well, at least six. Probably more, I’d have to check what counts as a felony…

You should make three more right now.

My heart jumps into my throat. No, not you. Stay away! You're gonna make everything even worse!

How come? There's no one around and you already know how to make bodies disappear…

I feel denim against my fingertips. They're reaching for the knife that isn't there. I curl them in a fist.

You don't need a knife…

Yes I do! I mean I would! But I’m not going to kill anyone, no matter how… no matter how cornered I feel!

“Really? Not even gonna answer?” Tamaki spits. I was quiet for too long. “I would've thought you had a lie for everything.”

Look at his whiny fucking face. He’s so pathetic, and yet he’s acting tough. He needs to be taught a lesson. You have to kill him! Kill that little runt who's trying to talk back to a king like you! Wrap your hands around his throat and strangle him! Come on, I know you want to...

The world is trembling. No, I am. Oh Gods. This is a nightmare. Everything… everything is going wrong. This can't be real, this has to be a dream --

“You! Lady!”

What’s happening now? Tamaki’s turned to Shirlee? No, stop. Fucking stop!

“Get the fuck away from this guy and never look back! He's not safe to be around!”

Tears have formed in the inkay’s eyes. She looks at me, cowers away like a bellsprout from a fire and begins to slide away. The icy fear keeping me frozen finally cracks. I have to act.

I break into a dash after the inkay. I shout, I shout her name, shout for her to wait, but she only speeds up. No, I have to reach her.

My soles slam against the asphalt beneath, pushing me through the air as shadows from the streetlights emerge and withdraw - but the coat I chase still eludes me like a ghost, never getting closer.

“Shirlee, please, let me explain!” I scream, legs already burning. Despair was in that voice, real despair. The fear of losing Him. Again.

Shirlee flips around and slows her pace. For a split second I gain some hope, but it’s all gone as I see her face. She’s just as pissed as I should’ve expected.

“Explain what?” she shouts, tears of anger in her eyes. “It’s pretty Gods-damn clear what’s happened here. You lied to me. You lied to me about you going to school, and you certainly lied about what kind of person you really are!”

“But that...” Uh, what is my excuse? “That was all in the past! I’m different now!”

“Are you? Because you didn’t say one word of apology to that guy! And he was pretty clearly upset over what you’d done!”

I… I should’ve said sorry? Would that have made it okay? Well, more okay?

“I’m leaving,” she says. “Don’t follow me anymore. Don’t call, don’t anything. I-I can’t believe I...”

Leaving the sentence unfinished, she turns her back to me and accelerates again. I need to go faster to match that, but this running’s starting to get to me…

“Shirlee!” I shout - and that was a mistake. With that breath, no air was left for respiration, and my body stops itself from running. I want to fix that, start running again, but my legs are jelly and my lungs are rupturing...

I force my head upright to at least see her leave. Her figure shrinks in my sight, getting smaller and smaller until it a corner and disappears entirely.

My head droops. All I see is the stone of the street and the legs and arms of a failure.

Is… is this it? Is this how my entire quest ends? I put in all this effort just to be cut short like this? Just to continue being separated from my lord for… who knows how long? I’ll be alone and unhappy and I’ve already been like that for so long, I… I can’t do it anymore. I can’t do that with no end in sight.

I slip my fingers into my hair. The nails scrape the scalp. My breathing still wheezes. My heart feels like it’s going to explode. What an awful state.

And who brought me this pain? Who is responsible? Tamaki. It’s all Tamaki’s fault. He’s ruined everything. For no reason. Why couldn’t he have leave us be? What’s his problem?

He has no reason to be angry at me. No right. We made a deal. I kept my end of it. He should’ve kept his. No telling anyone, we agreed on that. He chose to accept that. And I paid him. It was a service! I gave him money for a service, and he took it! How was anything I did wrong? What gives him the right to punish me like this? Nothing?

...Or.

Maybe he...

Just took the payment in advance.

For his last deal.

Because I’m going to fucking kill him.

---​

Last edited:
Here from the Review League as requested. Thanks for your patience. So I know you only requested the most recent chapter, but I hate reviewing chapters in isolation, so I read the whole thing (which was honestly pretty easy since this story is well written and enjoyable). This review will ideally be vaguely about the fic as a whole but mostly focused on the most recent chapter. Hope that's cool. I don't think I ever read Agápe? So keep that in mind.

“Because it’s your town, silly,” she laughs and playfully bumps her forehead onto my chest.

SHE WANTS THE D

Okay real review I promise:

When I asked him if he could show me some maps of his, he fell quiet and stared at me like I was a smokin’ hot girl suggesting we made out.

Should be "make out." Tense switched to present. Good line btw.

“You! Lady!” What’s happening now? Tamaki’s turned to Shirlee? No, stop. Fucking stop! “Get the fuck away from this guy and never look back! He's not safe to be around!”

This is a sort of subjective "technical" thing, but I always prefer to treat internal monologue as if it were dialogue in terms of line spacing. As is you're switching between Tamaki talking, Red talking to himself, and then Tamaki talking again all in the same line. If you had a new line for each "speaker" then it would be more like this:

“You! Lady!”

What’s happening now? Tamaki’s turned to Shirlee? No, stop. Fucking stop!

“Get the fuck away from this guy and never look back! He's not safe to be around!”

Which I think is slightly easier to read, but honestly the way you had it has its benefits too (with Red's monologue acting as a pseudo dialogue tag).

“Shirlee, please, let me explain!” I scream. Despair is in that voice, real despair. The fear of losing Him. Again.

Referring to his own voice as "that voice" is a great way of showing how he's kind of split his real self from the front he's putting on for Shirlee. You're really good at writing this kind of stuff. Honestly your prose is excellent with lots of great metaphors and whatnot.

The whole thing about the deal Red and Tamaki made kind of confused me because the previous line mentioning it made me think Red was beating him up and taking his money (from chapter 6):

Except maybe Tamaki, who I guess was okay because he let me beat him up for money, but outside of that he was of no use to anyone.

Makes sense now in retrospect, so I'm not sure it's worth changing. Thought I'd mention it though.

What I do want to mention is that you've improved massively. I think this is the first review I've done for you since the first few chapters of Hunter, Haunted and the difference is night and day. Much cleaner prose, really good job subtly implying character depth, all that jazz. What stands out most is a slight shift in tone. I'm not sure how much of that is on purpose or if the tone will shift darker in upcoming chapters, but it made a noticeable difference in my enjoyment. This fic seems to be embracing how a lot of aspects of your world are just a little silly (Nidoking in leather jackets, Omanyte watching YouTube, etc). I hope I'm not being rude, I do think it's a good thing. This fic is slightly more... comedic? Still has the dark undertones that come with a sociopathic protagonist, but it's a little easier to get engaged.

Like Fonz, for example. It's funny and heartwarming to have this kind of wholesome dad character in a story that's ultimately about a violent murderer. Him wearing the shirt for Helix was adorable. Speaking of which, what kind of symbol of diversity is Shirlee in regards to non-humanoid Pokemon if she doesn't even sell non-humanoid merch? fuckin' cardboard pop stars co-opting social justice for fame grumble grumble...

From a somewhat meta perspective, I think this fic suffers just a tad when viewed in isolation. I know, in fanfic nothing is ever viewed in isolation, but I'm going to prattle on about this anyway because that's just how I do reviews :p What I'm talking about is primarily the relationship between Red and Helix. It's sort of the... emotional crux of the story? It's what drives Red to embark on this whole manipulative quest in the first place. And the fact that he loves Helix enough that he specifically doesn't go with his usual method of slice and dice says a lot. Knowing TPP lore and specifically reading your other stories sets a lot of the backdrop already, but when you look at the fic on its own, it comes across as just barely not enough. The prologue is excellent and absolutely necessary for the story. Dragging that relationship out any longer could very well have messed up the pacing, so I'm actually not sure what I'm getting at here. I guess it just comes across that Helix doesn't really give a shit about Red, like, at all. I know that's the whole point because he's distracted by Shirlee, but it still feels a little odd. Maybe a little more early dwelling on how shut out Red feels. Re-skimming, you do have some of that, so maybe I'm talking out of my ass. Just felt a little dry given that it's the prime motivating factor. Adding more could mess with the pacing, so I'll leave that up to you. The curse of writing prequels/sequels/a shared universe. You can never escape it.

It's kinda tricky to give feedback on chapters like this, right before a big turning point. It would be easy to criticize pacing or tone, but what happens next is really going to be what justifies everything. For example, it's refreshing to read about Red using cunning to get his way rather than violence. Adds a lot of depth to his character. Straight up killing Tamaki would be kind of disappointing after all that effort, but depending on how you did it (or if he doesn't end up killing Tamaki) it could all work out anyway.

Anyway, good shit. Let me know if you have any questions!

So I know you only requested the most recent chapter, but I hate reviewing chapters in isolation, so I read the whole thing (which was honestly pretty easy since this story is well written and enjoyable). This review will ideally be vaguely about the fic as a whole but mostly focused on the most recent chapter. Hope that's cool.

It is more than cool, it is frigid, it is zero Kelvin. Absolute legend. Thank you so much uwu

I don't think I ever read Agápe?

good

No, really. Agápe has its middle be completely different from this story - Shirlee doesn't even meet Red until the climax, where he's anything but friendly. Red's techphobia isn't explored at all and the plot is really stilted. How Seiren will end will tie way better into the oneshots between it and HH, too, which is important for kickstarting Red's personal arc with Helix in HH. Anyway, moving on...

Should be "make out." Tense switched to present. Good line btw.

Fixed, and thanks! I had fun with that.

What I do want to mention is that you've improved massively. I think this is the first review I've done for you since the first few chapters of Hunter, Haunted and the difference is night and day. Much cleaner prose, really good job subtly implying character depth, all that jazz.

Good to hear! I'm planning revisions to HH, so I'll keep this in mind when I revisit it. I didn't think the difference would be that big, though - especially as the difference between Agápe and HH was already so huge.

This fic seems to be embracing how a lot of aspects of your world are just a little silly (Nidoking in leather jackets, Omanyte watching YouTube, etc). I hope I'm not being rude, I do think it's a good thing. This fic is slightly more... comedic? Still has the dark undertones that come with a sociopathic protagonist, but it's a little easier to get engaged.

Yeah, Seiren has kind of a ridiculous premise to begin with, so I couldn't just go in it with a straight face. I had to play with the world in order to make the whole letter thing seem more plausible and so that I don't have to explain everything in a 100% believable way. I'm also just more comfortable writing with a lighter, more casual tone.

Thanks for reading!

I finally finished chapter four the other night, and while I expect I'll blaze through the rest of the chapters I need to catch up on while taking the bus to and from work this week, I wanted to drop a review for Trying Again now to tide you over.

The main events of consequence this chapter were the results of Red's 'advice' and the setup for Red's next encounter. I was expecting Shirlee's video to be about as standard as it turned out to be, and not the wrathful tirade Red erroneously expected, and you've done a decent job of contrasting hopes and reality peppered with bile, so that we might be amused by Red's nonsense. I like that he's even directly critical of Helix at this point, so consumed as he is by vitriol. Good idea to build up to it with the 'Chatter' message, too. Having said that, I think it sort of peters out, with the reader being taken away from the video long before it actually ends. I might've liked Shirlee to end on some very positive note, on which Red could gag.

As for the setup for Red's next encounter, I'm prompted to mention again that I believe you could do with abstracting less significant events a little more. I mention this because of the segment where Red leaves the knife at home —

I briefly return to the house, Fonz’s eyes tacked on me the moment I step into his view.

“Guy didn’t like the knife,” I explain, detaching my scabbard and leaving it on the kitchen table. “Don’t play with it while I’m away.”

Before the nidoking can properly respond, I’m already back outside.

That's 52 words right there, and it doesn't really do anything more for the story than could be done in nine words:

unrepentantAuthor said:
I briefly returned home to drop off the knife.

I advocate trimming content down in this fashion wherever justifiable. It's good for flow, it's good for conservation of readers' attention, it's good pretty much as long as you aren't losing anything that's actually necessary or at least significant to character. In this case, Red's love of his knife is already a known factor, and it comes up again almost immediately besides as he reaches for it where it isn't.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing Red's machinations escalate, particularly if he gets himself into more and more bizarre situations. He's a fool for not thinking that he might soon be trying to explain to Fonz and Helix why Shirlee has turned up at their house or he was seen on social media with her or whatever such thing! I will very much enjoy it if something like this comes to pass and he realises to his own shame and anger that he's only increased the intensity of Helix' obsession with Shirlee~

Some misc notes:

I continue to enjoy the little pokémon elements like MewTube, even though it's essentially an aesthetic affectation for the most part. My favourite such instances are the ones which require nonhuman elements, like Fonz wearing Helix's shirt for him.

I see Red has an actual anatomy text. No wonder he uses such precise and specific terminology, but wow, his fascination with meat and gristle borders on fetishistic.

"Shirtlee." That's hilarious.

I hope to leave my next review after a much shorter wait than last time! Thanks for your patience, Canis.

Alright, so I know I said I'd read the rest before reviewing but it's just not in my nature not to review after reading a chapter. That, and I'm worried I'll forget the things I would have said if I don't write them down immediately, and if I write them, I may as well post them.

So, chapter five! The bloodlust and prawns chapter.

This one was funny.

If you're going for dark comedy, then chapter five probably landed as many amusing moments as the previous chapters put together. They could use some polish still, but Red's snark was genuinely entertaining this time around. In particular, the reveal of his loss of coat, the "please. I hate you so much I refuse to think of you as a cephalopod" nonsense, and his sheer rapture just from seeing a beartic up close.

There's more prose here that I think could be trimmed down, but I noticed some decent abstraction this time, so that's a good development.

I was surprised to learn that Red is eighteen this chapter. Isn't he like... the head of a household? Was he ten during TPP in your canon? How has he spent the intervening eight years, anyway?

The moment where he's gifted the phone could have had more to it. It felt a little abrupt.

Red talks more about pokémon being inferior to humans, the creators of the first kingdom. It's interesting to see this 'worldbuilding but it doesn't quite mesh with his reverence of Helix and his intense admiration of Arktos' teeth. I guess I'd like to learn more about this, even if it's honestly super weird and gels poorly with my own conception of pokémon. Also, Red's philosophy turns up a bit as he rambles about strength. He really is a complete disaster, isn't he? Yikes.

I'll get to chapter six before too long, see you then!

If you're going for dark comedy, then chapter five probably landed as many amusing moments as the previous chapters put together. They could use some polish still, but Red's snark was genuinely entertaining this time around. In particular, the reveal of his loss of coat, the "please. I hate you so much I refuse to think of you as a cephalopod" nonsense, and his sheer rapture just from seeing a beartic up close.

Red did have a lot more to play off this time, so I'm not surprised. Glad you enjoyed!

There's more prose here that I think could be trimmed down, but I noticed some decent abstraction this time, so that's a good development.

I'm beginning to feel cheated by one of my readers who'd told me before I didn't describe enough actions. >:I

I was surprised to learn that Red is eighteen this chapter. Isn't he like... the head of a household? Was he ten during TPP in your canon? How has he spent the intervening eight years, anyway?

Yeah, Red's living setup is a strange one, and I typically avoid bringing it up in-story in fear of raising just more questions and having to pause the story to explain those, too. What's happening is that Red's house is actually owned by his (and Abe's, allegedly) mother, who in turn lives at her friend's place due to her tense relationship with her son(s). Ever since Red dropped out of high school, he's been living the NEET life, though he doesn't see himself that way as he takes care of Helix. Abe is still going to high school as he has actual plans for his future. Non-apocalyptic ones. Fonz does short term manual labor every now and then for extra income. Certain zapdos friends ease the electricity bill with their contributions.

It sounds weird and it is, but it's like that due to TPP factors. Just like most other weird nonsensical stuff I desperately try to make sense of.

The moment where he's gifted the phone could have had more to it. It felt a little abrupt.

The phone is returned to in the next chapter once they get back to the hotel. Wondering if I should possibly wait until then for Shirlee to give it.

Red talks more about pokémon being inferior to humans, the creators of the first kingdom. It's interesting to see this 'worldbuilding but it doesn't quite mesh with his reverence of Helix and his intense admiration of Arktos' teeth. I guess I'd like to learn more about this, even if it's honestly super weird and gels poorly with my own conception of pokémon. Also, Red's philosophy turns up a bit as he rambles about strength. He really is a complete disaster, isn't he? Yikes.

I think there's more on this too in the following chapter. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the review!

Chapter 9
okay well this took more than just 10 days which it usually does to get a chapter done but i blame uni

rated teen for violence and language aight let's go

---

CHAPTER NINE
And Then Everybody Clapped

---​

I’m gonna do it. I’m gonna do it. I’ll kill him. I’ll kill the ninetales. No one is around. They weren't planning on meeting me. No evidence. They’ll simply vanish.

Gods, I’m actually getting excited… my blood is swirling in my ears, my hands are quaking with anticipation. Every step on the asphalt echoes for miles. The darkness makes way for me. The stars above spectate from afar. They know who I am.

Is that them? That’s them. That’s Tamaki, that’s Renny. Their backs are to me. They haven’t heard me yet. I’m going for Tamaki’s neck. He’s the one I want dead. The ninetales is just a witness I’ll need to eradicate -- no! What am I saying? I have to kill the ninetales first. Tamaki won't do shit to me, he's just a human and a pathetic one at that, but a ninetales has teeth and fire. I’ll jump at its neck, restraining both of those weapons. Its fur might get hot, but I have my coat for insulation. I doubt the mutt can generate too much heat while choking, anyway. Yes, strangle the fox, that’s what I’ll do...

I’m getting closer. Five meters, four, three, two, they turn around -- pounce!

“What the fuck?” shouts Tamaki. I’m squeezing your worthless friend's throat with both arms, that's what. The animal is twisting and gargling as the oxygen in its lungs depletes and precious blood flow to its brain is snuffed out. I hate how its fluff is cushioning the hold… but that won’t be enough to save it. I’m too strong and it’s too weak. I would've expected it to put up more of a fight, but I guess its vulpine leanness is working in my favor…

“Get off him, you fuckin’ psycho!”

Hands touch my sides and attempt to pry me off. As if they could. You're up against years of exercise, runt. Yeah, you take those off. Accept you have no cha-

“Fuck!”

I draw my hands back to yank away the fingers crawling on my eyes, falling over to the ground in the process.

“Dick move!” I snap, rubbing my poor eyes. Didn't take Tamaki for a dirty fighter…

“What the hell is wrong with you?” he yells over Renny gasping for air in the background. “Why would you do that to Renny? He’s never done anything to you!”

Well, fuck. What do I say now? Nothing? No, I should try to give some good reason. A mosquito landed on his back? Wow, good one, that’ll work. But maybe I can say something that’ll at least make me seem less homicidal. Or vulpicidal, I guess.

“I just… wanted to knock him out so he couldn't stop me from kicking your ass,” I say slowly, sitting up. I can feel my ass getting wet from the snow. Great.

“Why? Because I stopped you from going through with some sex crime?”

“Whoa! I am not a rapist!” I shouldn’t shout back like this, but I have to make things clear. I have dignity. “Besides, I’m not even straight.”

Renny’s gasping switches to coughing, then finally to normal, if exhausted, breathing. The ninetales paces to me, claws clicking on the cobblestone. Okay, uhh, it’s looking mad, this isn’t good -- whoa!

I shield my face, but it luckily turns out there’s no need. The flame dissipated as quickly as it came. I guess that was just a fire type’s version of a spit.

“Let’s go,” Renny says to Tamaki, faint smoke carried on its breath. “You can’t reason with him.”

Tamaki nods, and the two walk off. A conversation starts once they’re further, but I only catch the beginning. “Did he really say he was gay?”

The ambience of the city soon overtakes any noises they make, and I’m left alone on the street. My heartbeat slows and breathing stabilizes. With every second, I feel colder, until it all crashes down on me at once. The stress of today, the loss I just experienced. I collapse back down under its weight. The cold, clear sky stares back.

Well, what do I do now? Am I just gonna get up and walk home and resume that painful existence where the one I care about most treats me like I’m nothing?

The twinkling stars above stay silent.

Yeah, I guess only I can answer that question.

---​

I close the front door behind me and nearly collapse again. The only thing preventing that is the sheer relief of finally being out of that frigid hell. The cold bites through damp clothing rather fast.

“That you, Red?”

Fonz’s voice. He’s somewhere near, but I don’t care to lift my head to find him.

“Mm-hmm.” I hope he heard that despite how weak its was.

“Good,” he replies. I can hear him get up and walk to me - and look, there he is. The big purple quill-backed kaiju with the jacket. That's him. Gods, I’m tired.

“Listen, I wanna talk to you,” he says. Ughh. I’m not in the mood for an interrogation, but I’m guessing he’s gonna insist on it.

I sigh. “Can we do it on the bed after I take my clothes off?”

“Uhh.”

“Because my clothes are wet, Fonz.”

“Oh, yeah. Meet me there, then.”

He leaves me be for the duration of my sluggish change of clothing. I replace the button-up and jeans with a t-shirt and sweatpants - proper home resting gear.

As I trudge through the living room to an awaiting Fonz, I give the sofa one glance. My lord's on it as usual. He looks back at me. I quickly turn my head. I don't even want to see Him like this - it hurts too much.

While I’m now warm, dry and comfy, I’m still exhausted, and when Fonz closes the door to the room I instantly fall onto the bed - ow!

“Ah, sorry. Must've hidden itself in the blanket,” says Fonz as I pick up the loose shed quill that’s pricked me and place it next to the water tank. I lie back down, far more careful this time.

“So…” Fonz picks up his quill-proof bed cover, lowers it onto his half of the bed and lies down. “I wanna know what you've been up to.”

I had a feeling you did… ugh.

“Like, who’s this new friend of yours?” he continues. “With the limo and all that? And where were you just now?” He lowers his voice. “Don’t tell me you’re involved with something… criminal?”

Actually not this time, which is surprising. I sigh. “Well, if it makes you feel better, we’re not friends anymore.”

“Oh? Did something happen just now?”

“Yeah...” I stare at the ceiling. “You know how I had some… trouble in high school?”

“Yeah?”

“This friend of mine, sh- he wanted a tour of Pallet. I’d lied to him that I still went to high school, to sound normal, and then when we were out, Tamaki from my class showed up… you can guess the rest. And now that friend never wants to see me again.”

“Hmh… was Tamaki the one you…?”

“Yeah.”

“Ah. I see.”

He’s quiet and I’m quiet. I guess the conversation’s at a pause. I take the time to enjoy the softness of the bed beneath my tired limbs.

“You seem upset about it,” speaks up Fonz after a while. “I don’t think I’ve seen you upset about what other people think… ever. Excluding Helix. Was this friend important to you?”

“Yeah, he was… very important.”

“Is there anything you could you get him back?”

“I… don’t know. I honestly don’t know.”

Another spell of silence.

Fonz sighs. “Well, why exactly was he upset? What were his specific issues with the situation?”

“Hmmh… he was upset I'd lied to him,” I speak slowly, tasting every syllable. Fonz nods in the background. “I told him I'd changed, but he pointed out I didn't say anything good to Tamaki…”

“Isn't that your chance, right there? If you went to apologize to Tamaki and showed it to your friend, he might believe you really have changed.” He pauses. “Assuming you have.”

I'd say I had, but Fonz knows me better. Apologizing to Tamaki, though… “Good idea, except for the part where Tamaki absolutely hates me and would never forgive me. And how would Sh- my friend even find out about it?”

“Well, you have that new phone of yours he gave you. You could take a pic or video of you and Tamaki looking friendly together and send him that.”

“Eh, wouldn’t that seem too calculated?”

“Can’t hurt to try. And, well… it's the right thing to do anyway. Like it or not, Tamaki does deserve an apology.”

I grimace. I hate it when I have to say I'm sorry when I’m not. Which is every time, really.

“Alright, I’ll do it,” I sigh. “But I'm gonna be a dick to you when it doesn't work.”

Fonz chuckles. “As if you needed a reason.”

---​

It sure was a good thing that whole fiasco happened on a Thursday - had it been one day later, I wouldn't know where to find Tamaki. But as today’s a Friday, he has to go to school like every other student. That’s my target, and I’ve just arrived.

The high school looks much more familiar in daylight. Dark red bricks arising from the dirty white snow… Gods, does it feel good not to have to go here anymore. Unlike all these other people. Suckers.

But now begins my stakeout, which will probably end up making me the sucker here, given Tamaki can get out at any time between one and four o'clock. He was out late last night and he always tries to make it to school on time, so I excluded midday from the range. No way they've made the days any shorter after I left.

In any case, I'm gonna have to kill up to three hours of time, and that'll suck - but it just might get me close to Shirlee again, so it's worth it.

I sit on the bench next to the main entrance, at the end without the piece of gum attached to the side. It amazes me how people can call themselves moral and then do shit like this. Maybe I kill people, but I don't ruin a public space just because I can't be fucked to walk ten meters to a trash can. That's the real insanity there.

The school clock isn't sufficiently visible from this angle and wristwatches don't pair up with winter, but luckily my phone has my back. I click its screen alight every now and then, waiting for the moment of dismissal.

Before long, it comes, and I head further into the yard to have a view of all the exits. A minute or so passes without no change, but then a door opens. The first student leaves - or maybe’s she’s just grabbing some fresh air. Either way, she’s not Tamaki, so I keep waiting.

The rate of students leaving per minute increases rapidly. I check each face and hairdo, but none is a match. Same goes for each exit. After a few minutes, the flow dwindles to a stop. Doesn’t seem like Tamaki gets out at this time today, then.

I don’t want to spend the next 75 minutes out here in the cold, so I return to the main doors and enter into the lobby. Oh, the lobby… every Monday after school, I’d meet Tamaki here and we’d walk to a secluded spot… Monday was our day. I chose it so I could last the week with my bloodlust sated, and he agreed since Mondays sucked anyway.

I sit on one of the benches and study my reflection in the mirror wall opposite to the entrance. I don’t think I’ve changed too much in the last two years. I’d say the extent of it is just my hair getting longer and muscles a bit larger. Not that the latter's visible with all these clothes on, anyway.

Tamaki's changed a lot, though. He's dyed his hair and grown some balls. I wonder what caused that. Just dwelling on what I did for months after I'd left? Maybe he got together with that girl he was trying to impress. He did get a lot of money from me to buy her stuff.

Wondering about Tamaki's motives keeps my mind busy until the lesson ends. I return to my sentry spot outside, ready to run to Tamaki whenever and wherever he appears. People start leaking out, and… is that him? That's him, right?

I get closer to the suspect, getting surer of his identity with each step. He's got some other people with him… so he’s made friends, too? He's really pulled himself together.

He notices me approaching, showing his face fully - yep, that's him - and quickly looks away. Don't ignore me! I’m clearly coming towards you…

“Hey! Tamaki!” I call. That does it for him - he breaks into a run, leaving his group behind without a word. Psh, typical. All that toughness gone now that he hasn’t got his flamethrower by his side.

Careful not to slip, I dash and gain on Tamaki. “I just wanna talk, calm down!” I shout behind him. No effect. I'll do it the hard way, then.

Hopefully to win myself some moral points, I apologize in advance, then leap right at him. My chest collides with his back, tipping over us both. While he managed to break the fall with his arms, his grunt tells me it wasn’t exactly painless.

“What the fuck, dude?” he wheezes, squirming in my hold. “Get off me!”

“Don’t worry, man, I just wanna talk,” I repeat. “I’ll let you go if you promise not to run.”

“Sure, whatever, just lemme go!”

He might just be lying, but I can always catch him again. I release my hold and stand up, watching him follow shortly after.

Once upright, he recoils away, but doesn’t flee. “Okay, what the hell do you want? Are you just here to mock me?”

I raise my palms. “No, it’s not like that. I came back to say sorry.”

“What?” he shouts. He clearly heard what I said, he’s just having trouble processing it.

“I'm sorry,” I say. “I'm sorry for what I did two years ago. That was fucked up. And I'm sorry for what I did last night, too.”

Murmurs reach my ears. I glance around and notice a few students watching us, mostly Tamaki’s group - right, I suppose they’d care. Well, I guess this is one of the rare times when more witnesses are better, so I'll let them be.

“What do you mean you're sorry?” Tamaki asks, now quieter than before. “You're Red. You're never sorry.”

“I'm not that Red anymore.” I pocket my hands, faking regret. “After I left, I realized I had problems. With anger and such. For the past two years, I’ve been trying to work on them.”

“Lot of progress you’ve made,” Tamaki mutters.

“Yeah, I know, I know. I’m sorry. I just got really upset last night, cause, uhh...” Fine, I guess I gotta go with this. “That girl was really special to me.”

The frown on Tamaki’s face deepens. What, what did I do wrong? Oh shit, right, I told him I was gay.

“Just as a friend,” I correct myself, and I think he buys it. “But anyway… she means a lot to me, but she’s pretty slow to open up, so when you came in and told her about my past, I kinda freaked out. Again, I’m sorry. I wish we could’ve met in a different scenario.”

While Tamaki ponders my words, my ears pick up a few sentences spoken around us. The crowd seems to be growing.

“Yo, dude, look, something’s happening...”

“Who’s that guy Tamaki’s talking to?”

“Is that Red?”

“Dude, I think that’s Red. The psycho kid, remember?”

“Oh shit, why’s Red here?”

“Why’s he talking to Tamaki?”

“Is he here to kill us?”

“Oh my god, we need to run --”

“No, he doesn’t even have a gun, what could he do?”

Seems like reputations die hard. To their credit, I did have a few fantasies about slaughtering everyone, but I wanted to slaughter just about everything at that point in my life.

“...Wait,” says Tamaki, eyes narrowing. “Are you only here to get your friend back?”

Ah, fuck. He’s gotten smart. Hmm. Perhaps if I…

“Well, I won't lie to you. It is part of the reason.”

He sighs and turns away, but I interrupt.

“But that doesn't mean I'm not genuinely sorry for what I did. And I do feel guilty for not coming to make amends sooner. I guess I just… didn’t know what to say. But after seeing how much what I did really hurt you, I just had to come back and make up for it. Or, well, I know I can’t make up for what I did - it was too much. But I just want you to know I’m sorry.”

Dammit, I'm starting to repeat myself. I hope he sees it as a strength rather than a fault...

Tamaki pauses yet again. I can see people behind him… two with their phones up. Are they filming? What the hell? Is privacy completely dead?

Tamaki’s looking around too. He looks nervous. Camera shy? I can get that.

He sighs. “Red,” he starts, eyes locked into mine. “Do you truly mean all this?”

Am I winning him over? Yes! “Of course! I’m done lying, Tamaki. You deserve an apology. I came here because it was the right thing to do.”

“Alright, alright...” Tamaki says, raising a palm. He sounds… defeated? “I… understand.”

“You do?”

“I believe you, Red. I accept your apology, and… I forgive you.”

“You do?” I repeat, this time with twice the shock. The audience was taken by surprise, too, if the faint gasps say anything.

“I mean, people can change. I don’t think it’s fair to keep a grudge over something the other clearly regrets. And I wanna move past this, too.”

A laugh of relief leaves my throat and I grin. It worked! I won! I’m gonna get Shirlee back! Or, well… I might. Depends on if she’ll even look at my messages.

I keep smiling, though. Gotta keep up the illusion.

“You two should hug!” a stray voice yells. It draws laughs from the dozen or two spectators, but then the laughter actually morphs into noises of encouragement. ‘Yeah’s and ‘woo’s echo across the school grounds and finally switch into chanting.

“Hug! Hug! Hug! Hug! Hug!”

Ugh, I am so glad I left this place.

Nevertheless, I find Tamaki’s eyes and stare expectantly. “Well, what do you say?”

He looks discomforted, but finally abides. The other students cheer as our arms wrap around one another. Someone yells us to kiss next. I’d be ready to do even that, but it seems like things have already worked out. Now all I need is that picture…

Our bodies separate, and Tamaki raises his arm to the crowd.

“Alright, show’s over,” he yells with a faint smile. “You can stop watching now.”

Quiet laughs come as a response, followed by shuffling as the people turn away and scatter.

Tamaki steps closer to me again. “Can I talk with you in a more private spot for a bit?”

“Oh, totally,” I reply, foreseeing a suitable moment to ask for a photo. “I was actually gonna ask that of you…”

Tamaki leads me to the left side of the school, stopping his friends from following with a raised palm. I can't help grinning like an idiot. This went way better than expected.

Once we’re far enough away from the front yard, Tamaki slows down. I take it as an okay to start talking.

“So, this is pretty crude,” I laugh, pulling out my phone, “but could I just get one pic of us two together? It would really go a long way in getting me another chance with my frie-”

Tamaki turns around and pushes me back. I nearly slip.

“You've got some fucking nerve, you know that?” he hisses as I regain my balance. His face and tone are furious.

“What do you m…”

“Quit the act already! You're not sorry. And even if you were, I'd never, ever forgive you. Do you even understand the damage you did to me? It wasn't just bruises and nosebleeds. I go to therapy nowadays. You fucked up my life, and the moment my future starts looking okay, you show up.”

Psh, what? You came to me on that street. You're the one fucking up my plans.

“You come here and you get a big crowd and you put me up on the spot so that I have to ‘forgive’ you or I'll look like a dick and ruin what I've worked for two years to attain. Yeah, very clever. Is that what you want to hear? Are you satisfied? Or will you keep going till I snap and jump off a bridge?”

What is he even talking about by now? Are those… tears in his eyes?

“Oh, and still you keep that innocent look on your face. Like Tamaki's the bad guy here. Tamaki's the fuckup. Red hasn't done anything wrong because there's no proof. That's how you think, isn't it?”

I try to come up with a response, but I can't. I can barely tell what’s happening.

Tamaki straightens his back. “So, no. No, you can't have that pic. I'm not gonna help you ruin another person's life.” He walks past me, back towards the yard.

I dash after him. “Tamaki, please --”

“Do not fucking follow me!” he yells, stopping me. “I’ll call the cops on your ass if you do.”

But… I need to get that picture. Just one picture, it can’t be that bad! Maybe if I’m really fast...

I open the camera and run to Tamaki. As he turns to no doubt yell some more, I slip an arm over his shoulders, hold out the phone, smile and snap a pic.

An elbow shoves into my chest, blowing the air out of my lungs. My knees lose their strength and give out beneath me. I barely manage to hold onto the phone while I fall.

“Crazy son of a bitch...” mutters Tamaki as he speeds off.

I take a few seconds to breathe out the pain, shins getting wet from the snow beneath. Finally, I check the phone. Back to home screen, into gallery, latest photo…

Shit, it’s as I feared. Tamaki just looks disgusted. This is worse than no pic at all.

Well, what now? I have no proof that I’ve changed to show Shirlee. All I can do is say the same shit I already did when she ran off, and clearly that doesn’t work.

I sigh heavily. All this effort and no payoff. Just like this whole Shirlee thing in general. I’ve just been kicked around and made a fool of, and my lord still treats me like nothing. Should I simply give up for good? Lock myself in my room so that I don’t end up shoving my knife somewhere it shouldn’t be, and stay there until He comes to His senses?

Wait… wait a minute.

Didn’t people… film me and Tamaki?

Yes, they did! That means someone has a video of my apology! That means… that means I gotta run really, really fast to catch someone like that while they’re still near the school!

I wobble onto my feet and break into a run. Don’t go far now, people! Red’s on his way!

...Wow, way to give them a reason to get away even faster.

---​

Last edited:
Hey,

We've talked about this over PM. So here's your formal review of the chapters eligible when the awards started.

I know we talked a lot about Red. Most of my criticisms boil down to him being unsympathetic. Part of that comes from the violence and misogyny. Part of it comes from the lack of consequences (can't root for him, don't get any pleasure from rooting against him). I increasingly think that it comes down to... none of his relationships feel particularly meaningful. The nidoking shows up and leaves, but not having read your other story I know next to nothing about him and didn't really feel attachment. While he claims to love Helix, he never actually has a positive interaction with him the entire story. Or anyone, really. He exists alone and miserable.

It makes it hard to appreciate any of the character interactions. And everything just always goes... perfectly for him. He never has to scramble to make up for a mistake, outside of the one thing that kickstarts it. None of his relationships are ever at risk because you never give me a reason to care about them. He just... does things and they happen. And he thinks about murder and maybe rape a lot. It's... off-putting.

A lot of serial killer works inevitably have to give the character concrete motivations and distinct character traits aside from murder, or at least put them up against even worse opponents. When they do horrible things, it makes sense. They have motives. Character strengths and flaws that have nothing to do with their... occupation. Red is... violent and he loves Helix? tbh that's all I can really say about him. The job of getting the audience to root for a mass murderer is hard and the media that frames such a character well (Hannibal Lecter, Walter White, etc.) tends to focus just as much on their non-ax crazy bits.

What I'm saying is, Red is A Serial Killer character. He should be a character who is a serial killer.

Ok final divergence from my general criticisms: I loved the interactions with the not-cephalapod once she showed up. Red pretending to care while deeply hating her. And she's just so cute and endearing and kind of weirdly vulnerable, being willing to show up at a random fan's place because she's got nowhere else to go. First time I ever really connected to a character in the story and she's the antagonist. Which kind of means that you flipped the usual serial killer roles, but not the implications. I still want to root for the antagonist. But now she's the cute/innocent one.

I'm unsure how to feel about this dynamic, but it made me like the story a lot more. Will catch up when I find the time.

I increasingly think that it comes down to... none of his relationships feel particularly meaningful. The nidoking shows up and leaves, but not having read your other story I know next to nothing about him and didn't really feel attachment. While he claims to love Helix, he never actually has a positive interaction with him the entire story. Or anyone, really. He exists alone and miserable.

Red is essentially a sociopath. Sociopaths have trouble forming and/or maintaining meaningful relationships. Sociopaths are capable of "love", but the love is selfish and obsessive and doesn't care much for the other party. I'm glad to know I apparently captured that well, then.

And he thinks about murder and maybe rape a lot. It's... off-putting.

I literally can not tell what made you think Red is a rapist. He's even established to be celibate in a few chapters.

And everything just always goes... perfectly for him. He never has to scramble to make up for a mistake, outside of the one thing that kickstarts it.

I take it you only read the prologue and first three chapters, as was the judging area, but obstacles do appear later on.

As for the dark themes in the story, I should point out that Seiren leans a lot on dark humor. It might not be your thing, or it might be your thing and you didn't think it was handled well, but the way you wrote about it here didn't seem to address it at all. Glad you at least liked Shirlee, though.

Chapter 10
Seiren ain't dead just yet, fellas! New chapter! And yep, that really is the chapter title. You come up with a better one.

Rated teen for language, I suppose. I don't think there's even any violence in this.

---

CHAPTER TEN
Bottom Text

---​

Today I learned that girls really don't like it when a guy they barely know chases after them. I'm calling double standards on this bullshit - no way they would've screamed had I been a girl as well.

Hmmh… I do still have a chance, but it's a slim one. Shirlee’s going to have her everstone surgery on Monday at 4 pm, meaning I could go to the school in the morning, bully as many people as I can into letting me check their phone galleries, find the apology recording in one, send it to my phone, then send it to Shirlee with an apology, hope she forgives me and wants to see me before her surgery, meet up with her in a secluded place, kidnap her and do all of this without getting caught by any kind of authority.

The outlook is not promising on that, but I have to try. I suppose I should use this weekend to practice using my phone some more. And because I'll have to work with other people's phones as well, that means dark theme off. I grimace. More ripping at old wounds.

I step out of the hall and into the living room. Fonz and my lord greet me, and I greet them back.

“So how'd it go?” asks Fonz.

“Nghh.”

“Not great, huh?”

“Yeah. See me in the bedroom if you want the whole story.” It's possible he might have some advice I haven't thought of. Even if he doesn't, it's nice to tie up loose ends.

We enter the bedroom, leaving my lord alone on the couch, not that He would mind with Shirlee as company. I close the door behind the nidoking.

“Did he not accept the apology?” he asks, pulling up his quill-proof bed cover and setting it on the bed once again.

“Well,” I sigh, sitting on the edge, “he did, and then he didn't.”

Fonz raises a brow. “How's that work?”

“He accepted my apology publicly, and after the crowd had left, rejected it and naturally didn't let me take a pic.”

“He was looking after his reputation?”

“Guess so.”

Fonz glances at the clock. “Did that alone really take you this long?”

“Well, no. You see, I realized some people had been filming during the public apology, and I tried hunting them down… but I couldn't find anyone who both had the video and didn't outrun me.”

“Hmm. Well, have you looked online?”

“Online?” I tilt my head. “Why would it be online?”

“Well, you know how kids are…”

He pauses as he sees my expression. “Okay, I guess you don't, but my point is that a lot of kids really want fame. It's not at all unlikely that someone would've put that video on MewTube in hopes of it going viral. It's not every day you see a former bully apologize, and a lot of people would consider that uplifting. Give it an attention-catching title, and...” Fonz snaps his claws, which produces an unsettlingly loud click. “Instant fifteen minutes of fame.”

Listening to Fonz's theory spreads a warmth into my body. Could it be that easy? Could this be my chance?

I snatch the phone out of my pocket. I unlock it, and…

Right. I don’t have the app for that MewTube thing, and the only way to get the app is through the app store. But the last time I tried something new on this phone, it didn't end too well...

A shudder comes before I can suppress it.

“What’s wrong?” asks Fonz.

Right, Fonz, I do have Fonz. I can have him do it. That's good, but I can't lie, being dependent on others like this is frustrating…

“Well,” I sigh, putting the phone down. “I'm worried the app store will look like, you know...”

“Oh." He quiets. Then, he sighs. "It left its mark on all of us, didn't it."

I stare at my feet. "I don't know. Jess is online all the time, and my lord…"

"I don't necessarily mean just the PCs," Fonz says. "The whole journey. The whole… stress. Sure, I got out of the Safari and into the human world proper, and Jess got that fame and money he wanted, and Air caught the eye of the sports world… and Helix was born and got you." He nudges me with a claw, smiling, but his smile then melts away. "Anyway, while we got a lot of good out of it, we too felt the effects. That threat of erasure from the machine malfunction… I still get the shivers every time I see a storage PC."

He places an arm over my shoulders. It's pretty heavy, but there's something soothing in the weight. "So if that's what I have as just a bystander, I can't imagine what it's like for you. It must be really, really hard… which is why I'm so massively proud of you for already coming this far."

His smile has returned. "I really think you can go even further. First steps always tend to be the hardest, after all. But know that if you ever need support, I'll try my best to be there. Okay?"

I wasn't expecting that whole speech, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed by it. Just for that, I nod with a smile myself.

But that smile soon leaves, shoved away by another thought.

"My lord…" I begin. "Does He remember the journey anymore?"

Fonz sighs, catching my frown. "He tells me He's had nightmares."

Nightmares. He's not alone in that regard...

But that means He remembers. At least partly. I'd sigh in relief - but who's to say I'm even in those? If I am, am I good in His eyes in them?

Anxiety grips my throat. What if those nightmares were about me? My slurred speech, my twitching limbs, the orders I barked under the Voices' control? Is that the reason He's been cold to me? Does He only remember my bad sides, the ugliness of the possession? I could see how I acted being upsetting for just a young mon. Is He scared it'll happen again? Does He know the full story?

"Does He…" I start, voice wavering. "Does He blame me for what happened?"

Fonz flinches. “Oh, no. He knows it was the Voices. He knows you weren’t yourself.” He sits up straight. “I mean, He’s seen you take care of Him so much. You’re like a dad to Him. He just… doesn’t always know how to act around you. I mean, you have to see this from His perspective. Wouldn’t it be odd to be addressed as a lord all the time?”

Well, I know I’d like it...

It seems like Fonz knows what he’s talking about, though. He knows Him. He should know best what He thinks outside my lord Himself. Hmm. Well, I guess I can take His word for it for the time being. I should focus on this Shirlee stuff while it might still be possible to pull off, anyway.

“I guess you’re right,” I say. “I shouldn’t worry about it.” I pick the phone up again and clear my throat. “So, back to this… could you get me MewTube thing from the app store? I just really don’t think I can handle it yet.”

Fonz smiles and nods.

---​

With MewTube downloaded, I asked Fonz if it had a dark option. He looked, and it did.

“It’s on now,” he says. “You ready?”

”Guess I can’t get any readier.”

I shuffle to his side, wary of his quills. The screen is dark gray with pale red accents and houses colorful windows to the worlds recorded. Stress level: low. I think I can do this.

“Okay,” starts Fonz. “Let's try… ‘bully apology’.” He types the phrase in the search bar and taps the magnifying glass.

Thousands of results surface. The titles and thumbnails show different scenarios - ‘high school bully and victim meet up 20 years later’, ‘calling my old bully’, ‘mother finds out her daughter is a bully and you won't believe what she does next’... none of them match mine.

“Are we really gonna find it this way?” I ask, eyeing the long-gone dates of upload and sky-high viewcounts. Would someone really think their crappy little mobile video could rise up these ranks?

“Hold your horseas. Let's sort by latest.” Fonz taps the icon of three horizontal lines, ‘sort by’ in the new menu and ‘upload date’. The titles and thumbnails change, and…

The second result shows two young men in a crowded, snowy schoolyard. One has a large bleached quiff and the other a coat very similar to mine. I can’t believe it. I can’t believe that actually worked.

“Oh, that looks like it could be it,” says Fonz and taps the picture.

BULLY APOLOGIZES TO VICTIM!!! MUST SEE!!! (HEARTWARMING), reads the title of the now loading video. Never thought I'd have someone describe an action of mine as ‘heartwarming’. Unless I was literally cooking one.

The video finishes loading and plays. Despite the camera's shaking, I can soon confirm the setting to indeed be the yard of Pallet High.

“What do you mean you're sorry?” asks the Tamaki on record. “You're Red, you’re never sorry.”

“Yep, this is the video,” I say, near breathless. “B-but where does it end?”

Fonz skips to the last seconds of the recording. Tamaki tells the audience the show is over, and a moment later the footage cuts.

I clasp my hands together, chest burning in triumph. “Yes!”

Oh, but I'm not in the clear yet, am I - Shirlee still needs to see the message, and that’s something I can't influence.

“Alright, now let's send it to --” I start, but Fonz raises a claw.

“In a bit. I wanna see how this played out first.” He resets the video despite my protests. I lean on my fist, disgruntled.

The video rolls from beginning to end. My voice still sounds really weird played back. Less masculine than I'd wish. At least I have the looks to patch it up.

Fonz grins. “I'd say you handled that pretty well, champ. Especially the hug,” he chuckles.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Gimme the phone.” I nab the phone from Fonz’s claws, meeting little resistance. “Show me how to share this.”

“Just tap on ‘share’ and choose the texting app you use,” he says. “It's pretty obvious from there on out.”

I shuffle further away on the bed to keep the recipient a secret and do as told. Share, text message, Shirlee. Now I can write a message to go with the video… but what to write?

“Hmm. Not sure what to say?” asks Fonz.

“Yeah,” I sigh.

“Well…” He stretches and gets up. “I'm sorry to say, but you should know best what he'd like to hear. But as a tip, remember to be genuine and humble. And don't expect him to forgive you right away. These things take time.”

Ngh, I don't have much of that, though...

Sensing I'd like some time alone to think - and being correct - Fonz excuses himself and leaves the room. I'm left by myself on the bed, staring at the old text messages and the… what's that called? That blinky black line that appears when you type things. That.

Should I get straight to the point, or would she consider that tactless? I mean, I have the video here, so I will need to address that…

I begin to tap. I'm really sorry about lying to you and to prove it here's -- no, I can't say it like that, it'll look orchestrated. I've apologized to Tamaki and someone happened to film -- yeah, someone just happened to film it, I had nothing to do with that whatsoever…

I rub my forehead. Since when did lying get so hard for me? This is the same mon who came to a random fan's house in the dead of night to drunkenly thank him for such sweet words. It shouldn't take a lot to sway her. Or perhaps I’m underestimating what a few beers can do.

But what if I tried... that one thing again? The thing I did when she told me about her everstone woes, where I imagined she was Him. How I spoke with that was amazing. It was like I was someone who could actually connect, not just someone piecing together what they’d heard others say in similar situations. A lie so convincing even the speaker starts to think there's something to it.

I’ll do it. It's worth a try.

I close my eyes and think of Him. He’s next to the school, where Tamaki first confronted me. He hears Tamaki’s words, hears all these awful accusations, when He always thought I was a trustworthy caretaker. He becomes afraid. Afraid of what I might do to Him. But I'd never do anything! I could only ever protect! His stare is terrified, and it really shouldn't be, He turns around and runs away… somehow? But He can't leave, I need Him, I can't let Him feel like this, think I'm dangerous, pull away from my touch. He's disappearing in the horizon. I'll never hold Him again. I'll never get to be in His presence again. He's gone from my life and He's left a burning, chilling void in me, a bottomless pit nothing can fill and its edges are melting, quicksand, I try to run but the ground beneath fails and I sink to the darkness, emptiness that swallows me up, and I’ll never get out, never…

My eyes feel hot. Wet. Tears. Heart pounding. Gut heavy. I… didn't expect to feel this way. But I just… miss Him. I miss Him so much.

I breathe in. Some tears fall on my cheeks. Okay. Bit of a tangent. Let's just get through this quickly and professionally. He needs to be apologized to. She.

---​

It's the best I could do. I can't blame myself. If it doesn't work, it just wasn't in the stars.

It's too soon to say, anyway. It's only been twenty minutes. She might not have even looked at her phone yet… oh, who am I kidding, everyone’s on their phones constantly.

I sigh, tuck the phone in my pocket and get off the bed. I should go do something else for the time be-

Buzz! Is that a buzz? It is!

I check the screen - new message from Shirlee! Oh my Gods, it worked!

No, no, wait, it could still be her just berating me more. Shouldn't get my hopes too high.

I unlock the screen and peer in.

(16:39) Red. Do you really mean what you say?

Proper grammar. She has to be really serious.

Of course, I tap and send, heart beating in my throat.

Another message. She's still present.

(16:39) Do you truly want to prove you've changed?

What is she getting at? I do.

(16:40) There’s a way for me to know for sure.
(16:40) But are you prepared to do it?

She's making this sound dangerous… What is it?

(16:40) Promise to not tell anyone.

I would never.

(16:40) You know this thing psychic types are able to do.

It finally clicks.

Mind reading.

But I absolutely can't let her do that! She'll see things way worse than she could ever dream of - and while mind reading is a crime, it's nothing compared to septuple homicide. If she saw what goes on inside this skull --

Ah, but she won't, will she?

The seal. The seal on my wrist will block any attempt to infiltrate my mind. Though is it still even active? It's been a good while since its initial carving. I should refresh it, though I have to make sure not to dig too deep - I don't want it to leave behind obvious marks. If all goes according to plan, I won't need it for any longer than a few days, so leaving lighter wounds is perfectly acceptable.

Oh, shit, I should respond to her.

I think I know what you mean… and I'm prepared to do it. I want you to know the truth.

(16:40) Good. I could see you outside my hotel later today. Can you make it?

Depends. Where is it and what time do you want to meet?

(16:40) Hotel Evergreen. It's right next to the town center. Big white building. You can't miss it.
(16:41) How is 10 pm?

Five hours, that should be plenty of time to plan. I can take a cab there. I just need to ask Abe for the number and then I can order one myself, having got a phone of my own now.

Sounds good. Will we go somewhere from there?

(16:41) Someplace private. Even an alley will do. But let's be outside… I don't trust you that much yet.

Well, this just gets better and better… totally alone, no witnesses. The way I like it.

I understand. See you at the hotel at 10 pm, then.

(16:41) Yeah. See you.

I close the phone and physically restrain myself from screaming triumphantly. Finally, things are going my way! She'll turn hideous, He'll reject her and I'll get Him back. Everything will go right back to being how it should be. Perfect!

All I need now is a plan…

---​

The evening sun stares down at me, squinting with cloudy eyelids. Another mass of cold air rolls over me and sinks its little fangs into my limbs. I really hope the meeting in Viridian won't take too long. I may get sick.

I tighten my scarf, wait for the oncoming car to pass and cross the street. The cold sting in my nostrils switches to a cough-inducing smell of exhaust fumes, then back again. How does this part of town manage to be so cramped and yet still so windy? Well, at least I'm finally here. The place to get the final ingredient to my plan.

I read the obnoxious red-and-yellow sign over the dirty-gray concrete doorway. Thompson's Natural Remedies. Good, it's still here and in business. Guess the world never runs out of morons.

The door opens with a ring of a bell, and a murkrow flits out to the street. With its tired eyes, it gives me a glance so quick it barely even counts, then digs its talons in the satchel around its neck to produce a cigarette. It seizes the cigarette with its beak, freeing its foot to draw out a lighter and maneuver it skillfully to light the cigarette's end.

The cigarette lit, it returns the lighter to the satchel and -- oh, it's looking at me.

“Fuck you want?” it asks, cigarette somehow not falling from its beak.

“Uh, nothing,” I mumble and enter the store.

The ring of the bell immediately raises the face of the Unovan man behind the counter, Mr Thompson himself. The rattata of a man shines a sunny smile, one you'd expect from a long-time friend, despite the fact that we've seen each other exactly once before and that was years ago. I couldn’t exactly go out and hunt down a rapidash of my own, so I had to find a shop like this to get myself a pair of hooves for ritual firestarters.

Ah, dammit, I gotta stop spacing out like this. I think Thompson just tried to shake my hand but I was too deep in thought to react. I'll just nod to at least acknowledge his greeting.

“So, what’cha here for?” asks Thompson, still wearing his smile. “You look young. Searching for something to spice up a party, perhaps? Better your exam performance? Better your… other performance?” He raises a brow.

“Qwilfish spikes,” I answer, feeling far less wordy than him at the moment.

“Ah, gotcha.” He slides to one of the aisles. I look around. Herbs, sparkling stones and jewelry, dried mushrooms and wild mon parts. Hand-made price signs. An odd smell in the air - a chimera of a dozen individual stenches, somehow tolerable despite its suspicious ingredients.

This is one of those places that takes either cash or your entire credit card information. Sadly, I don’t have a choice. The more trustworthy places simply won’t sell qwilfish spikes - naturally because it can easily be used for nefarious purposes, but also because people generally just don’t want to use products plucked from ‘helpless creatures’. Add to those the fact that storing the poison in its original spike is one of the less sanitary options.

The customers of stores like these, however, are the kind of people to believe that ‘natural is always better’, even when the choice is between a thoroughly tested vaccine and a shiny rock that supposedly emits lunar healing frequencies. Ignorance like that is the bread in which mold like this can grow.

Thompson returns to hand me a plastic package of five blue-gray thorns. “Qwilfish spikes, for you. Soak the tip in a glass of liquid for thirty seconds - careful not to prick yourself or squeeze it - then take it out and dry it for next time. Each spike has about three doses worth of juice. Now, one dose is suitable for a nice calming effect - great de-stresser, will chill your mom out about the homework - and two is good for helping you fall asleep. Three normally knocks you out for quite a while, so I'd only use that when you really, really can't keep those eyes closed. Even then, you ought to pace yourself and not gulp it all down in a sec-”

“I know how to use it, thanks,” I interrupt. “What's the price?”

“Twenty-nine, ninety-nine.”

Shut up, you just mean thirty. Ngh, annoyingly much for something I'll only need one of… but His attention is worth the price.

Or you could just shove a knife in his gut and get the spikes for free.

If getting rid of Thompson was that easy, you really think he'd have lived past twenty? Also, fuck you. I’m still mad at you for causing all that shit with Tamaki.

“Got it,” I reply. I fetch the necessary bills from my wallet and tuck it back. Thompson takes the money patiently. Sort of expected him to nab it like a stray vulpix offered some berry flesh. “Now, keep in mind that the doses I explained are set for humans and not --”

“Yeah, thanks.” I store the package in my backpack. “See ya.”

“Oh, you’re really gonna buy only that? Come on, now! You came all the way here, may as well take a look at the rest of the select-”

“See. Ya.”

The unwavering stare and emphasized words succeed in shutting him up. I make my way to the door in silence.

“Thank you for coming,” Thompson half-sighs, half-laughs, that indestructible smile still etched onto his face.

As I exit the store, the murkrow from before slips in. I guess it works there. I’d say I wouldn’t like a smoke-marinated employee, but then again, it’d probably just drown in all the other smells.

Alright. Time to head home and gather up the rest of the equipment. Then I’ll get the cab and be on my way. I should be on schedule so far. Everything’s going right as it should.

Wait, I do still have the ball with me, right? I tap my coat pocket and sigh in relief as I feel the spherical bump where it should be. Though I guess I didn’t need it for this trip anyway… eh, no harm done.

I spot movement from the corner of my eye. A fat gray raticate is digging through a knocked over garbage container a few meters away. Must be either a feral or a civilian with no self respect. In any case… a great subject for testing out whether this thing still works after years of inactivity.

I sneak closer. The action awakens the predator within, the stalking persian waiting for the right moment to pounce, to kill… but my weapon isn’t teeth or claws or even a knife this time, just a simple ultra ball. This disappoints the predator, the killing machine that thrives on violence, but it'll get that satisfaction yet - once Shirlee is in my hands.

I think I'm close enough now. I click on the button at the ball's front, and the ball expands from its minimized state. The raticate's ear twitches, shit, I need to be quick.

I fling the ball right at the raticate and luckily enough, I hear it smack onto flesh. The mon jolts out of the container and tries to leap away, but it's too late - the ball has opened, signalling activation. With a red flash, the mon is drawn inside, and the ball snaps shut, alone on the icy asphalt. Success.

Of course a mere two seconds later it opens up again to let the mon out the same way it came in, and the raticate runs off with a screech. But that's entirely expected. One can't just go around trapping wild animals as they please - according to the law, anyway. All balls, excluding master, have to let the mon escape before registration if they struggle too much. Even after registration, the ball isn't inescapable, but the requirement for leaving varies between balls. If I remember correctly from what they taught in school, an ultra ball requires the mon to input a given combination of symbols to unlock it. Therefore intelligent mon are able to leave at will, but ferals and infants are stuck inside. That's why these ones are meant for more experienced trainers that would need to capture the latter two kind and keep them from roaming around unsupervised for everyone's safety, mon included.

But that's not quite all there is to it. Balls can't release their contents if there's not enough space - that would crush the poor mon, after all. Being fancy space-warping technology, the ball can usually transport mon past thin sheets of material, but if the ball is placed inside a safe, good luck getting out.

I do hope I have all these facts straight. Exploiting them will be key in tonight's operation.

I fetch the ball, return it to my pocket and head home.

---​

Last edited:
Chapter 11
two months later i have returned with likely the penultimate chapter of this... thing

okay so about the content: we're at the part where this rewrite actually goes over a scene in the old version that got a mod contactin me. so that's my subtle way of saying that this is a mature rated chapter rather than the usual teen. what for? well, the story's been hinting at it already, but on-screen physical and i suppose mental abuse. i definitely think it's done more tastefully than it used to be, but the subject matter is still there so yeah. also language but that's been there in previous chapters already

anyway let's go and i'm proud of that chapter title but not as proud as i'm gonna be of the next one yup uhh yeah enjoy

---

CHAPTER ELEVEN
Destruction of Public Property

---​

Hotel Evergreen of Viridian City is not as impressive as Celadon Hotel. It's still pretty, don't get me wrong, but it's just not as glamorous as the towering black skyscraper with golden-green windows. Instead, it resembles something from a much older generation with its white marble and decorated pillars.

Not sure why it's called ‘Evergreen’. There's not a sliver of green to be seen here. Maybe it's just to match the name of the city. Or maybe it's symbolic somehow? It's an old building, but it keeps its luster despite the time, like an evergreen… tree… no, that doesn't make sense.

Ah, the front door opens. And out floats a familiar winter coat. Alright. It's showtime.

I give a shy smile. “Hi.”

She doesn't geet back, only stares with absent eyes. Hm.

She hovers down the front steps, then past me. The seal on my wrist buzzes accordingly. Had already forgotten about that.

Shirlee turns to me. "Let's go," she says. Her voice isn't angry, nor is it excited… it's just quiet. I guess I should tone my mood down as well. Make her feel more comfortable.

I follow her as she glides on. She leads me away from the hotel, crossing a few streets, and brings me to what seems like an emptier nook of the neighborhood. Finally, we enter a secluded alleyway between two brick buildings and stop. I decide to break the silence.

“We’re really doing this alone,” I remark. I've failed to spot any bodyguards tailing us, at least.

“Yeah,” she sighs, and lowers her already quiet voice. “I mean… it’s illegal, after all.”

Illegal! Oh, may the Gods have mercy on our souls - we're about to break the law! Once that wretched act has been committed, we will surely have lost our innocence for good. We, the lost lambs that we are, now bid farewell to our sweet, pure childhood and plunge ourselves to the abyss of sin!

“Hey, don't worry about it," I say. "It's for a good cause. And no one's getting hurt. I'm fully willing.”

“Yeah…” Shirlee stares at the ground. “I-I guess we should just get to it.”

“Yeah.” I kneel, placing my hands behind my back. “Go ahead, whenever you're ready.”

“Y-Yeah, I just… need a minute,” she says, closing her eyes. She flips down her hood and begins to massage her mantle. “I haven't read minds since I was a hatchling in my brood, you know,” she continues. "We had no secrets before we also learned to shield ourselves..."

With her preoccupied, I can dig into the wallet in my back pocket with less worry for stealth. Between its leaves, I locate a qwilfish spike - one of three, better safe than sorry - and pluck it out. Right hand set, I arm the left with a minimized ultra ball from the other back pocket. Now I'm ready. Just gotta wait for the right moment to strike.

“Right, okay,” says Shirlee, opening her eyes. “I think I can do it now. I-I'm gonna put my tentacles on your temples. Watch out, they're probably cold...”

I nod. My heart beats even faster, spreading hot blood to my fingers and face. I stroke the side of the spike with my thumb, making sure it's the right way round. Only seconds remain. Only seconds until I can stop pretending. I bite my lip as my mouth almost forms a smile. Not yet.

Shirlee lifts her clubs. Their wet surfaces gleam white from the streetlights afar. “H-here we go.”

She presses the clubs on the sides of my head, sending a shiver across my body. They really are cold… but I need to stay focused.

Another sensation awakens in my wrist on top of the previous one. It feels smoother than the other. Telepathy must use psychic energy gentler than telekinesis, I suppose.

Okay, she looks down. And her… eyes… are… closed. Is this it? Is this the moment? It might be the best I'll get. I-I have to do it now. Now!

“I don't see anything yet, but h-hold on, I'm sure it'll --”

Like a striking arbok, my arm straightens and jams the spike into her mantle. She yelps, shit, that was loud, I really need to be quick!

"What --" she tries, eyes now widely open, but my motion cuts her off - the motion of raising the ball, clicking it to expand and finally, flinging it at her as fast as I can.

Only after the impact does she manage to leap back, but it's too late, the red light has already been freed. Right before disappearing inside the ball, she shoots me a glare of betrayal, of fury.

The ball snaps shut. I have to be quick now. The poison likely won't work fast enough to prevent her from breaking free, so I have to dive for the ball and --

It opens. Shit!

Shirlee launches out. She nearly smacks down onto the ground, but manages to start hovering just in time. She twists upright and faces me. That glare still sits on her face. But it doesn't matter. I have to try again. I grab the ball and --

"The fuck are you doing?" she shouts and holy shit, it's loud. Someone's gonna hear. I have to throw -- no, not throw! I have to keep the ball in my hand! That way she won't have time to escape!

I pounce at her. She dodges to the right, but her tentacle doesn't move fast enough, and I grab it! That sweet touch of the coat's arm in my palm, that's what keeps her still, still enough for a shove of the ball right into her forehead!

Pried off! Fingers pried off her arm - with telekinesis, I assume - but the red light is there! She's pulled into the ball, it snaps shut, now's my chance to guarantee her capture!

I drop to my knees and curl up around the ball. It twitches against my chest, but it can't open, it can't. There's too much flesh around, not enough space, the ball won't allow her to leave - for her own safety! Isn't that ironic? I would laugh, but there's too much fear. It's not a guarantee after all, is it? The ball might still try. Might make a mistake. Try to eject her straight through my torso. And how would that end up? A mesh of two creatures, tentacles slithering through one's lungs, ribs skewering the mantle of the other. Neither would survive. Only leave behind a mangled corpse, a corpse to betray the human's true nature, its final crime - and no one would give that bastard a proper burial.

Click!

Click…?

Click, yes! Success!

I can breathe. I can let my lungs do their work, unpunctured by any foreign limbs. Thank the Gods. Though I guess not those gods. Not anyone, really, as HE is too far away to help me. Whatever, it's a figure of speech.

While I shouldn't get up yet, this is still a relief. With the lock in place, it won't be as easy for her to try and escape, though it's still my body working as a meat shield that really keeps her trapped within. But it shouldn't take long for the poison to take effect. Once she's knocked out, she won't be unlocking a thing.

But are those… steps I hear?

"Hey!"

There goes the relief.

"Is everything okay here?"

I turn my head to see a humanoid figure at the mouth of the alley. Four arms. Machamp. Gods damn it.

"Y-yeah," I reply, slipping the ball between my legs and sitting up. "I just, uhh…"

Well, what am I gonna say? What would cause those noises?

"Sorry, it's embarrassing," escapes my mouth as some random automated response comes through. How's that gonna help? What ties together screaming and embarrassment?

While the machamp raises a brow, inspiration strikes, and I eject the idea before even thinking it over.

"I-I was watching porn."

Good fucking answer.

"The, uhh, volume was on, and pretty loud. Sorry."

The machamp narrows her eyes - but I think that's disgust rather than suspicion. She contemplates leaving already, but decides to ask more. "Why're you on the ground?"

"D-dropped my phone. Freaked out."

She holds a stare. Oh Gods, just please buy it.

"...Okay," she says. Yes! "Um, sorry for interrupting, I guess."

She moves along. I hear her footsteps quieten, then drown entirely in the hum of the city.

I think I'm in the clear. Finally. Though, well, one final test…

I grab the ball again and, having gotten up carefully, hold it out towards the ground.

Nothing comes out.

Yes. The poison's kicked in. She's unconscious and therefore safe to transport. I can finally leave.

I minimize the ball and slip it into my pocket. The seller told me a full spike would knock a human out for quite a while, but I don't know how true that is for inkay, so I should hurry home. Guess I'll call a cab again.

As I pluck out my phone and seek the number from history, triumph finally dares to creep in.

I have her. I have Shirlee. She's right there in my pocket, unable to escape. That power warms my heart. I won't have to play by her rules anymore. I'll get to do just what I want to do… and show her what I'm really made of.

A smirk suppressed for too long finds its way onto my lips.

See you in the basement, Shirlee.

---​

Oh, sweet knife.

Your blade so beautiful, gleaming. Sharpened with care to sever the fibers of flesh like a sickle reaping crops.

It is with great sorrow that I announce you will not get to show your elegance today.

I place the knife in the drawer, push it shut and seal it with duct tape. Ugh, it looks tacky as hell... I bet it’s gonna leave marks on the wood, too. But what can you do? I can’t risk getting telekinetically stabbed. All loose objects have to be put away for the time that she’s awake, with the exception of just a few that are vital to keep available.

Well, that knife and its brethren were the last ones that needed to be hidden. It seems I’m ready.

I sit down on the chair I’ve dragged from the desk to this wing of the room. I nudge it somewhat to make sure the adhesive putty I put underneath its legs is keeping it sufficiently fastened to the floor, and I suppose it is. I hope it’ll be enough to keep her from going all show wrestling on me.

Nevertheless. It's time to wake her up.

I pick up the container of smelling salt placed beside my chair, open the cork and hold it out in front of what hangs in the middle of the room, right before me - an immobile blob of pastel colors, held up by two belts hooked to the ceiling. The slightly worn belts wrap around the creature's glassy tentacles, balancing it in an upside down position. Her round eyes remain closed, though hopefully not for long.

I've taken off her coat and stored it elsewhere for the time being. I've plucked out the qwilfish spike and thrown it away as well. A round little hole remains in the skin where it entered, filled with and rimmed by dark blue, which I hope won't arouse too much suspicion after all this is done. If it'll even stick around, actually.

"Nhh…"

Oh, there we go! She's waking up! I draw back the smelling salt and twist the cork back on tight. May be a pain getting it open later, but it would be way worse for her to manage to knock me out during this.

I set the container down and stand up. Damn, do I look fine? Is my hair good? I wanna do this right, as I'll only get one change. Well, I could technically knock her out again, erase her recent memory and get another try, but I should try to minimize the marks left on her body. More marks, more questions, both from others and herself.

Ah, but back to the moment. Shirlee has begun to move. Her motions are languid, but they're definitely there - meaning I wasn't just hearing things.

Now, let's speed things up. Make a real strong entrance. And give my hand a test run while we're at it.

I raise my right palm and confidently smack the limp inkay right across her mantle.

“Wakey, wakey!” I scream, taking great pleasure in watching the squid squirm in confusion and pain.

“Aaahh…!” she wails, sounding dizzy and understandably so, as the impact has sent her to a spin. It tangles the two belts together, but they soon fight back and work to reverse her direction.

But as much fun as that is, we'd be here forever if I waited for her to come to a halt on her own. I grab the belts right as they've untangled, and her rotation stops, her front facing my chest.

Her blinking eyes flick around, trying to make sense of her surroundings. “Whahm I… whassuh…”

Finally, something clicks in her brain. Her eyes widen and she flails like a magikarp, trying to flip herself right side up, I'm assuming. A faint vibration awakens in my wrist - trying to help herself with telekinesis, is she? To her misfortune, though, it seems her lightheadedness and the poison still in her system are weakening her powers.

I smirk. "Don't bother trying to upright yourself. Even if you managed it, I'd knock you right back down."

She halts her struggle, squinting to see me better. "Red...?"

I spread a warm grin across my face. "Yes, it's me, Red! Your buddy, your pal!"

"Wh-what are you… what is this?" she stutters, now louder.

"Well, Shirlee," I proudly begin, "you wanted to look inside my mind, didn't you?" I spread my arms, gesturing to our surroundings. "Here you go. The real me, in my natural habitat. How do you like it?"

“What are you talking about? Let me go!” she hisses. So she's angry now, eh? Guess that spunk of hers won't leave so easily.

"Mmm, yes, I suppose I should explain," I purr, beginning to circle her. "After all, how could I expect a fool like you to be so quick on the uptake?"

She attempts to twist around to keep me in her sight, but the belts won't allow it. “What the fuck, Red? Is this a joke?”

I slide back in front of her and grab her mantle. I lean my face right in front of hers. Her flinch is the strongest I've felt at my fingertips.

"Have some patience, dear," I whisper with a stern stare deep into her eyes. "It is all about to become clear."

I step back, bathed in her furious glare. "Truth is, Shirlee, I was never your friend. You were right to doubt me, just not smart enough to stay away! So who is it, then, that stands before you now? What kind of --"

"Oh my Gods, what do you want?"

Smack!

"Ow!"

Oh, her blubbery body is so satisfying to slap. "That's what you get for interrupting," I growl.

But that seems to only stoke her flame. “You’re gonna be in such deep shit, you little prick!” she screeches, face turning a darker shade of blue. “Untie me now, and maybe I won't end your fucking life!”

I laugh, stretching the genuine reaction to theatrical proportions to rub it more in her face. “You’re gonna end my life? Please! I imagine that’s only metaphor, but my dear, I am the one who ends lives in this room.”

“What?”

I give a wicked grin. “Yes, Shirlee! I am a killer! A cold-blooded murderer! I kill people -- no, not just kill. I torture them, I slaughter them, and I eat their flesh! And I do so to please HIM, my lord, the God of Chaos, who shall one day enter my vessel and --”

“Are you fucking larping?”

“...What?”

She’s squinting. “You’re larping, aren’t you?”

“What the hell does ‘larping’ --”

“Listen, Red,” she yells, startling me, “you are not your character, and this isn’t a game! You’re free to express yourself any way you want in your free time, but don’t drag me into it, especially not through a Gods-damn kidnapping!”

I close my eyes and rub my forehead, trying to process her words. “Are you… suggesting that I’m only playing pretend?”

“Get the fuck out of your character and talk to me like an adult!”

“No, this isn't --”

“And what the fuck is this character, anyway? Some fucking edgy anime villain? No one's gonna take that seriously!”

“Oh my Gods!” I shout. “You’re in the basement of a serial killer, can you maybe act like it?”

“I’m not playing along in your little pretend-game! I know you can’t do shit to me, Red, everyone would know it was you!”

“No, they won’t! I have a memory-erasing seal! You won’t be able to say a thing!”

“Oooh, a magical seal, okay!” she mocks. “Lemme guess, that’s part of your anime powers? Something your spooky god taught you?”

“Yes, and HE isn’t ‘spooky’, HE -- well, I guess HE is pretty spooky, objectively speaking, but --”

“Ugh, what are you even doing all this for? And you trying to impress me somehow? Show off your acting skills so I can get you a job in the business? Even if you weren’t dogshit, I’m in the music industry! It doesn’t work like that!”

I bury my face in my palms. Burning heat reflects back. This isn’t going at all the way it should.

“Listen, lady,” I sigh, “I’m seriously telling the truth. I kill people. And I have proof of it, too.” I point to the cupboard to her right - or I guess left, since she’s upside down. “Those bottom drawers over there? There are jars with disembodied human tongues in them. I seriously cut those off my victims.”

“Oh, sure there are,” she scoffs. “That’s why you’re showing them to me right now instead of just telling me about them, huh?”

I take a step towards the drawers, but dammit, I actually can’t show the jars to her. She might break them and use the shards as weapons. I clench my fists. “I can’t show them,” I grumble.

“Oh, why not?”

I can’t give her the reason in fear of putting the idea of telekinetic weapons in her mind, so I just have to take this humiliation. “Nevermind.”

Shirlee humphs triumphantly. “I’m glad you’re coming to your senses. Now untie me, and we can settle this quietly. Neither of us wants this fiasco to go public, so I won’t even tell the police. That’s terribly generous of me, you know.”

I cross my arms and sit down on the chair. How am I gonna make her fear me if she’s convinced herself I’m actually harmless? How did she even do that? Is she that blindly trusting of her fame and the consequences hurting or killing her would bring? Or is the poison making her unreasonable? I don’t actually know what the side effects qwilfish toxins might have on inkay...

"Hello, I said to untie me?"

I scowl at her. But a realization soon morphs that into a sneer.

"No," I say. Just a simple word, but it has all the power.

Now Shirlee scowls at me. "I'm serious, Red! I have places to be and people to see. I have no time to waste."

"Well, go ahead and free yourself, then," I reply. "Shouldn't be that hard for a psychic like you."

She blinks. Then she gets to work.

Invisible hands - or tentacles, perhaps - begin to fiddle with the buckle of the right belt. Progress is clumsy and unsure, but eventually, the buckle is unfastened and the tentacle slips free.

"Ah, there we go," she says. "Now for the oth-"

Smack!

The impact sends her to another spin.

"Aaughh! Cut that shit out!" she cries, but her annoyance switches to confusion as her free tentacle is grabbed. Even with her struggling, the limb is refastened far faster than it was released. Her strength insufficient for physical retaliation, she settles for verbal abuse and calls me some names I’m surprised to hear from her considering her prior preaching of tolerance.

“If you’re done ranting,” I interrupt, “I’d like you to tell me what you’ve learned now.”

“That you’re a complete asshole?” she snaps.

“No, no, no.” I clasp my hands together. “I’m talking about the fact that you cannot leave this room unless I allow it. Any attempts you make to escape will be cut short just like the one moments before. If it starts looking like I can’t stop it, that your full powers are returning to you, I’ll just do what I’m about to do right now.”

I leave that wing of the room for the other, obscured from Shirlee’s view.

“Hey, get back here!” she shouts.

“Just a minute, dear,” I call. From the altar against the wall, I grab the rag and vial of yellow liquid I'd placed there before. Even if the rock above the altar is covered, I can’t help being overly careful not to look at it. I just really wouldn’t want to awaken HIM by accident right now.

I pop the vial open and pour a bit of its contents onto the rag, then bring the wet, sandy-brown cloth to Shirlee.

“The hell is that?” she says, eyeing the rag with disgust.

“Take a guess.”

“Don’t you dare put that -- mmph!”

The rag covers her beak. She wriggles, and I feel something try to move my hand, but its strength gradually diminishes along with the tingling it brings to my wrist.

“There. All powered down,” I say, leaning in with a smug smirk. I take the rag off and throw it onto the desk for now. Or try to, but it misses and falls onto the floor instead. Awkward. I hope she didn’t see that.

I clear my throat. “Anyway… if you could kindly start getting scared now, that’d be great. I may be able to keep you here for quite a while, but that doesn’t mean my patience will last as long.”

“What was… in that?” she slowly asks, words slurred.

“Sleep-inducing spores from a parasect. It’s what I use for all my targets.” I flash her a smile. “You know, my victims.”

“Vic...tims…”

She stares blankly at the floor. Something begins to change in her expression.

“Finally getting it, huh?”

She frowns in thought.

“This is not pretend, Shirlee. I am drugging you and hitting you without hesitation. You do understand that’s not the end of it?”

“H-hey… Red...”

“M-hm?”

She stares into my eyes. For the first time after her initial awakening, vulnerability is present. “L-let me go.”

“No.”

“Seriously, let me...”

“I will not.”

“If you don’t let me go, I might --”

“You will.”

There it is. In those big, pleading eyes. Fear.

“You’re upside down for a reason,” I slowly add.

“...Why?” She's so quiet now. “Why would you want to do that to me?”

“Well, I’m glad you asked,” I say, sitting back down on my chair. “I’ve been trying to destroy you for so long now that I think I could do with a reminder of the reason myself. Refresh my motivation and so on.”

I sigh. I don’t like the memories I’m about to revisit, but I need to make her understand.

“Do you know what the Twitch is?” I ask.

She doesn’t respond. Either she’s never heard of it or knows very little.

“It’s hell,” I say. “That’s what it is. A million voices just appear inside your brain one day, screaming in your ears and moving your body independent of your wishes, and they won’t leave until they’ve successfully piloted you through the Indigo League Junior Division and earned the title of Champion Trainer. Sound arbitrary? It is. It’s completely arbitrary. But while I don’t know why they’re obsessed with a dying sport and a meaningless title, I did know that it was agony. I wasn't the happiest kid to begin with, and there I was, stuck in an endless waking nightmare. Unable to walk freely, unable to sleep outside of losing consciousness, unable to even off myself to be free.

“Then something happened. Something that saved my life, my sanity. I met someone. Him. The omanyte, as you know Him. I don't know how or why, but being around Him, it felt so right. So right that it overpowered the pain. I could keep going. I felt like there was hope, a way out. And, eventually, I became the champion. The voices went away. I felt reborn. Alive again.

“Years passed, with a bunch of things happening, but He was always there. Even through death, two times already. The first time around, I felt like the world was ending, but I then found out He had the ability to reincarnate and retain memories of His former life, of me. It was actually HIM who told me that, and that was my first time meeting HIM, but that’s a different story…

“Back to the main point - the omanyte. His attention, presence and existence is priceless to me. No one but Him can make me feel the way I do with Him.”

My face darkens. “So how do you think it made me feel when, only weeks after resurrection from His second death - still a horrible experience - someone like you comes in to steal all the attention? Makes me invisible to Him for an indefinite period of time?”

Shirlee glances around, nervous.

“He’s been obsessed with you. Almost as obsessed as I am with Him. And that makes it all the more painful.”

I pry open the fists I notice I’ve formed and relax my face. “But now, now I get to fix it all. I get to end your career. He will turn to me. He will remember my loyalty, what a great servant I’ve been.” I smirk. “And I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t personal by now, so… you bet I’ll be taking great pleasure in destroying you. You vapid, irritating, thin-skinned little worm.”

“Couldn’t you just… talk to Him about it?”

I blink. “...What?”

“Tell Him how you’re feeling,” she says weakly. “Or did you try that already?”

“...No, no, that wouldn’t work.”

“Are you sure?”

I cross my arms. “He’s just a child right now. He wouldn’t get it.”

“Are you really sure?”

“Yes. Of course. I mean, I can see why you’d suggest that, but you don’t know the situation. You wouldn’t get it.”

But… I mean, why haven’t I talked to Him about it? I must have had a reason, right? A good one. I just can’t immediately think of it right now. Right! Now I remember!

“You see,” I add, “if I confronted Him about it, He’d see me as the enemy. That would just push Him further away.”

“D-didn’t you say you’ve known Him for six years? And you started off with some kind of difficult disease, and He was by your side the whole time? I-it doesn’t seem like He’d just abandon you for having an opinion...”

I...

I don’t like this. I don’t like this feeling she’s making me feel. I don’t like her implying that she’s smarter than me for thinking of this. She’s just a singer. I’m a priest. His servant. I know better than her. That has to be true. And because it’s true, there’s no point in dwelling on it. I have a job to do. A goal to accomplish. I’m not stopping until I’m finished.

“Look, what if...” she starts. Oh, no no no, don’t you dare. “What if you just went to Him and talked it out? Or even had me talk to Him, if He sees me as such an idol? W-we can still solve this in a way that doesn’t need anyone to get --”

“Shut up.”

“Red, please --”

“Shut up!”

Smack!

The smack is no softer than the ones before, but she only groans in discomfort. She’s getting used to it. Does it even hurt at all? Am -- am I losing my power over her? No. No, I’ll take it back!

“I’m done listening to you!” I shout. My hands form fists. They feel hot. So does my face and, well, I guess everything. My nails dig into my palms.

“You don’t get to talk to me like you know anything!” I continue. “You don’t get to be that way after you… after you force a phone onto me! I don’t want that shit! I didn’t have one before for a reason!”

“Wh-what reason?”

“Don’t try to be my fucking therapist! Don’t try to do any of your defusing anymore! Don’t… just don’t do anything! Except evolve! Just evolve already!”

“I-I can’t --”

“Then I’ll make you!”

I raise my right fist to hit. The ball of nails and knuckles trembles. Shirlee’s lesser tentacles reach for her face, trying to shield it.

But her lights… they’re flickering. What does that --

“Gah!” My eyes!

I shield my face from the shine. Something’s lit up, something burningly bright. Smears of rainbow dance inside my eyes. Is this some type of natural defense mechanism? Or could she actually be…

“No… no no no no!” Shirlee cries. Her voice is changing, getting deeper. It's happening. It's happening!

The light beyond my eyelids dims, then dies. It's done.

She's changed.

So, what's she gonna look like? Hideous, that I already know, but just how hideous? The worse, the better for me, isn't it? I'm almost too excited to look - but I know I have to.

I uncover my eyes.

Glimmering skin.

Powerful tentacles.

Fierce, glowing eyes.

But the face twists with agony.

“I know! I know!” the creature bellows. “There’s no need to rub it in. I know I’m disgusting!”

Three long fins at the end of the mantle. Thick tentacles above her face, like lavender-cyan hair, undulating with a fraction of their full strength. Vibrant hues, sharp beak, intricate symbol of light.

She looks… magnificent.

Like a form of HIS. Terrifying, powerful, yet beautiful. Otherworldly, yet familiar. Dangerous, yet I only want to get closer.

Her expression changes. Agony is replaced by realization. What? What did she realize?

Her larger tentacles - longer than I am tall - contract with force. No, don't!

Shnk! The hooks holding up the belts come off the ceiling. They clank onto the floor. She's freed. Oh fuck! Don't you dare --

A force slams me to the wall. Fuck, my back! I feel my elbows hit the floor, I must have collapsed. But I gotta get back up.

“No… stay!” I growl, stumbling upright as fast as I can despite my burning back. I can see Shirlee moving. Hear her moving. My wrist is screaming. Her power is far greater than before, but she's clumsy, bumping into the walls and furniture. She’s seen the door, shit. I need to stop her -- no, wait, I stand no chance physically, look at her! A predator of the deep sea! And I'm just a hairless mankey!

But I have tools. Items. I need the spores -- no, the ball! Of course! But she wouldn’t stay in, not unless I shielded with my body or the toolbox I kept her in, but the toolbox is too heavy and the flesh too risky, too difficult --

Oh Gods, you’re taking too long, she’s opened the door and she’s pushing the shelf on the other side! It creaks horribly, please don’t knock it over -- no, focus on getting the ball! Lunge for the toolbox, open it, get the ball, there! Click it -- no, she’s past the bookshelf, out of range! And you didn’t solve the problem of keeping her in, you’d need… spikes! The spikes, of course, they’re in the same toolbox, get them, yes!

Ball in one hand and the spikes in the other, I rush to the door and swerve around the half-shifted bookshelf. There she is, right in front of me! Pluck a spike - actually, two - and raise and --

“Get away!”

A glassy tentacle slams into my ribs, followed by wooden shelves to my back as the bookshelf breaks my motion. Stripes of pain set alight as I gasp back the air that was squeezed out of my lungs. There’ll definitely be bruises there.

But the pain doesn’t matter. I have to stop her. If she gets away, it won’t ruin just this operation. She knows I’m a killer now. She’s gonna tell everyone.

I scramble up, fighting both my aches and the lack of free palms. Once on my feet, I see Shirlee disappear behind the turn in the stairs. I dash after her and the awful thumps she’s making -- she better not wake anyone up! I may need an excuse later on, provided I succeed…

But thank the Gods, it’s looking likely! She’s barely a meter away. Just a step and another and --

Fuck! She’s pushed me again, and only a split second reaction to her glowing glare has saved me from tumbling backwards - jamming my fist to the space between the railing and the wall. It’s a weak anchor, but it was enough to stop me from probably cracking my skull, probably… dying. She’s not fucking around.

The door ahead opens - she’s reached it. She lunges for the darkness. No, in an open space she might actually be too fast! I yank my fist away, expand the ball, I have to make a leap for it. Spikes ready? Ready.

Strike!

The spikes sink in. The ball --

Slips out of my hand.

The edge of the last step rams into my thighs, and I barely manage to break my fall. But forget the pain, I need the ball back! Where is it?

Shirlee turns around. Her eyes burn with yellow wrath. She’s gonna attack with another psychic push -- I need to be ready! I lie flat, that'll help me, I’ll be able to withstand the attack! Now bring it on so I can grab the ball after!

I tense my arms and await the shove. But it’s not coming. But she’s glaring. My wrist is vibrating. What’s she --

Invisible claws seize my neck.

They squeeze.

Air can't get through. Blood thumps in my ears. My hands draw to my neck to pry off the grip, but there's nothing to touch. Nothing to free myself from. The compression exists by itself. It's inside, deep inside, down to the vertebrae…

It's crackling.

She's… killing me.

A flash of red. Her eyes widen. What now?

She disappears.

Free! I can breathe. I gasp in air, cough it out, repeat until I find some kind of equilibrium.

Shit, wait, back to the moment. What’s going on? What happened? Red flash, and now she’s gone… she’s been recalled. Did the ball fall on its button? No, that’s not important right now, I need to find it and make sure she says in! Where is it?

I push myself up to all fours and glance around, searching for anything spherical with striking colors -- there it is!

There it is...

In the talons of Jess.

---​

ms_tanner_by_wolframclaws_dcuhs7n-pre.png

Last edited:
Chapter 12
Here it is, finally, after two years: the finale of Seiren. Only took a soft reboot to get here. But it's not over yet! There's still an epilogue after this to tie up some loose ends. (And of course Red returns in other stories, such as the infamous Hunter, Haunted!) But for now, here is the finale. I hope it's worth the wait.

Rated teen as always, for violence, language and mentions of sexual content. Enjoy.

---

CHAPTER TWELVE
Calamari on The Rocks

---​

The pidgeot’s golden eyes stare deep into mine, unblinking.

For five deafening beats of my heart, nothing happens. I don’t move, Jess doesn’t move, the ball doesn’t move, everything is silent. But on the sixth thump, his beak cracks open.

“What’s going on?” he asks. Quietly, voice wavering. He’s afraid. He might even be as afraid as me.

I should respond. When people ask questions, you’re supposed to respond. That’s how you let them know you’re normal. That’s what keeps them satisfied.

But I don’t think there’s anything I could say that would satisfy Jess. No convenient string of words that could get me out of this mess. Instead, I have to focus on salvaging what I can. Nullifying the immediate danger.

I lunge at the ball in his grasp. He lifts the foot, shit! Another try, but he hops back!

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” Jess says. “Not until you explain. A-and maybe not even then.”

Explain. I can’t explain. But I need the ball, she might get out. ‘Give me the ball’, should I say that? No, that won’t change a thing. I need… some level of reasoning. Some common goal.

“She’s crazy,” I say. “She needs to stay in. She tried to kill me! Y-you saw that, right?”

Jess’s digits tense around the ball. He recognized a truth. So he did see her attack me. Then why isn’t he giving it? She still hasn’t come out, there’s still time, but there might not be much more. Unless she’s already passed out…? I did use two spikes, but she’s a malamar now, much larger… I need to be prepared for the worst.

Jess moves -- I flinch, but calm down as I realize he’s simply sitting down. On top of the ball, like it was an egg.

“There,” he says, shielding the front with his talons. “She can’t get out now, r-right?”

I don’t know. That seems pretty flimsy. I feel like a ball could still transport past that. But that agitated look in Jess’s eyes tells me he’d claw my hands off if I tried to take the ball by force. This will have to do. I just need to hope that, in the case of Shirlee actually getting out, he’ll agree to recall her as fast as possible.

Some kind of stability now reached, I can slowly get up to my knees. I catch whatever’s left uncaught of my breath. Shirlee’s still not coming out.

“You still gotta tell me what’s going on,” says Jess.

Right. This problem. Jess knows something’s up. And if I can’t convince him everything’s alright, he won’t give me the ball. And even if I do convince him, he’s still going to have more questions. Especially when Shirlee’s evolution goes public.

But… I can make him forget. Just like Shirlee. I just need to find a way to knock him out. Quietly. If he screams or screeches or squawks, whatever noise he would make, the house would wake up, and they’d have questions of their own. Like ‘where’s Jess?’ Well, he’d be scattered across Viridian forest in small bloody chunks if I got to do what I really wanted, but he needs to stay alive. Just ignorant.

“Like, who was that?” Jess asks. “And what were you doing down there?”

I take a deep breath. “It’s… complicated.” That much is true.

“Give me the gist.”

“Well...”

Think quickly. What can you say? Why would you be downstairs with a malamar, hidden from everyone?

...I can’t believe I’m going to use this excuse again.

I sigh. “It’s a sex thing.”

Jess blinks. “What?”

“I didn’t want anyone to know this, but… I’m sexually attracted to the inkay line.”

Jess’s beak hangs ajar. He looks at the basement stairs. “So you two were...”

“Yeah.”

He looks at the ball.

“C-consensually!” I add. “That was just… to spice things up. We’re both kind of… different...”

“When did this all happen? Where did you...”

Uhh… wait, of course! “Y-you remember how you saw me texting someone named ‘Shirlee’ the other day?”

“...Uh-huh?”

“Well, that was a… ‘performer’ of a kind. She can play roles when she’s… um...” I clear my throat. “Anyway, she ended up accidentally evolving in the middle, at the heat of the moment, I guess, and freaked out...”

“And tried to strangle you?”

I clench my teeth. Can’t you just buy this story? You’d make it so much easier for the both of us. “Yes. She freaked out pretty hard.”

“And you had those… spikes on you?”

He saw that too, did he? “Qwilfish spikes. They were close by, and she really needed to calm down...”

He glances away, then back at the ball. “We should call the cops.”

“No!” Shit, that came out unfiltered. Too panicked, and Jess has noticed it. He jumps up and hops backwards on his free leg, eyes wide with fear.

“W-why not, Red?” he demands, voice wavering. “What can’t the cops know?”

“No, it’s not like that! I swear! Just -- please, put her back down...” If he accidentally released her, the consequences could still be dire.

Jess stops with a flinch, remembering the hazard in his claws, and reluctantly sits back down. I can breathe a bit easier.

“I just don’t want this to blow up,” I explain. “And neither would she… we can settle this without any authority. So we shouldn’t waste their time.”

“Really?”

“Yes. Listen, just..” I reach out my palm. “Just give me the ball. She needs to be put in a safe place for the night. Somewhere she can rest and get back to her senses. Where she can’t hurt anyone, or herself...”

He looks into my eyes. I stare as deep into his as I can. Please. Accept the terms. Let me free you of your mental burden.

He takes a deep breath - but he isn't giving the ball.

“Look, you can watch me do it,” I add. That’s how I’ll lead him downstairs. There I can knock him out.

“I-I don’t know...” He stares at the floor, tucking the ball deeper into his plumage.

Son of a bitch. This whole operation's going to shit just because of this nosy little pidgey. Isn't he supposed to be helping me? He was my teammate. A kind of friend, even. And he's been wanting to reconnect. Give me advice.

Maybe I can use that?

“Jess...” I start. “Please. This is important to me. That girl… it’s not just business between us. She might actually be someone I can… be with. Someone outside Him.”

He raises his gaze.

“You said I needed something else in my life,” I continue, “and this could finally be something like that. I really don’t want to fuck this up… any worse than I already have. So… please, just let me put her somewhere safe. For everyone’s sake.”

For a while, he sits still. The ticking of a nearby clock underlines each additional second he’s spent quiet.

“...Okay,” he sighs.

Yes! I suppress my delight, toning it down to a sensible level before letting it shine through. “Thanks, Jess.”

“Carry me there,” he says. “I wanna see where you put her.”

I smile. “Of course.”

Carefully, I draw close to Jess and shuffle my hands underneath him. Part of me expects him to tear my fingers to shreds after all - his eyes are still wide as plates from stress, looking better fit for a noctowl - but fortunately, he doesn’t.

I lift him up, holding him against my chest to cover the weak points of our fleshy barrier for the ball. Like any flying creature, he’s light for his size. I can feel his heart pound against my chest, way faster than mine, fast even for a bird. I should still be careful not to make quick motions.

Keeping an eye on each step, I descend the stairs. He’s going to see the bookcase soon... I better load up an explanation on the tip of my tongue. But not fire it too fast.

“Huh…?” leaves his beak. There it is. He tries to twist his neck for a better view. “Why is… has that room always been there?”

“Yeah,” I start slowly. “My mom lost the key for it and so figured the door was basically as good as a wall. I found the key some time ago, but decided to keep it a secret. Sometimes I like being alone. And, well... it was the only place private enough for our… affairs.”

He isn’t ripping his way out of my hold, so he must be buying it well enough. Good. I hope that trust stays long enough for me to trap him…

I reach the floor and soon the end of the hallway. Well, here comes the plunge. Once I enter the room, I'll need to deposit Shirlee very quickly so that Jess doesn't have too long to realize I'm not planning on letting him leave. Oh, hold on.

"Can you minimize her?" I ask Jess. Probably should've done that sooner, would've made her easier to cover.

"Ah, sure." He clicks a button, and the ball shrinks. I take the moment for a deep breath. Alright.

I open the cracked door and slip in, shutting it behind me. Jess already swivels his head around, taking in all the sights, but I march straight for the wooden toolbox on the desk. Still open. Still has the pack of spikes, along with the key to the room. I pick out the key to pocket it and lift the bag.

"Put her here," I say, nudging Jess. “And do it quickly, so she can’t break free.”

“R-right,” he responds. I quickly turn him around and he extends his foot, the ball nested within. But he isn’t dropping it. Why aren’t you dropping it, you moron?

Gods, he’s too hesitant. Looks like I may need to resort to plan B.

“Right here,” I say, gently pushing down his talons down with the plastic until it meets the tools. I let go and lower the lid of the toolbox onto his foot. “Come on, let go, she might get out.”

“Listen, I-I don’t know about this...”

He’s made his choice, then.

I slam down onto the lid, catching his ankle between it and the edge. Startled by pain, his claws open up, and I yank him back by the neck - leaving the ball in the box and throwing him onto the floor.

He screeches harshly as he lands on his back, but I can't let it distract me. I leap to the door and lock it as fast as I can, while he's still struggling to upright himself.

"What the fuck?" he yells, and I finish right on that cue. I turn around just in time to see him charge at me. A kick will protect me! I raise my foot, but his reflexes have quickened with his confusion subsiding. He hops back, but then lunges again for a snap at my toes, which I barely avoid. Dammit, I really wish I had shoes right now!

"What the hell's going on?" he demands, wings open in a threat display.

"I'm keeping things simple for the both of us," I say, tense. Maybe he can be reasoned with. "You don't want to find out the truth, and I don't want anyone to know. Let me wipe your memory."

"What are you talking about? How would you even --"

He stops to set his eyes on the toolbox. I know what he's going to do, and I slide over to the desk right as he takes flight. Grab the box -- no, his talons are out, instead wait for him to land and -- there!

His claws on the box, his chest is open for a strike, and I take the chance. My fist collides hard with his chest, specifically the crop, and he recoils enough for me to snatch the box. But I can't keep it from him like this, he'll tear my arms apart. And I can't keep fighting him - he's a battler, after all, even if six years have passed. I need the drug. The rag. And it's on the floor, still in the spot where it fell when I tried to throw it before. But will it have enough juice? I have to try.

I duck and set the box on the floor, sliding it right where the wall meets the side of the desk. I grab the rag and -- augh!

Cold claws grasp my shoulders as a weight lowers onto my back. Their tips pinch the skin, and I fear something sharper is to come - his beak. I shake my body to get him off, but he's balancing too well. Well, how about this?

I stand up straight, turn around and slam onto the wall. His wing bends wrong against my back. Crunch.

"Gaaahh!" Jess cries, dropping down to the floor. Wait, how badly did I...

My survival instincts block that question for now. I grab onto Jess's beak with the rag and onto his neck with the right.

He wriggles in my hold, clawing at my arms, but his reach isn't enough -- ow, nevermind, though that didn't sting too bad… all I need to do now is wait. He’s getting sluggish already.

But this rag is pretty dry… I should soak it again just in case. It won't take long, and Jess won't be able to move very fast if I really injured his wing, or even… yeah.

I move my hand from his neck to grab his feet instead and lift him up. The rest of his body dangles limply save for faint motions accompanied by whines as I carry him to the base of the altar, away from the toolbox. He's definitely not in the shape to fight anymore.

Eager to get this over with, I take the rag from his beak and grab the vial on the altar for a new dousing.

"P-please..."

He can still talk?

"Please don't hurt me…" Jess whimpers.

"I'm not gonna hurt you," I tell him, and it's actually true. "I'm putting you under, in fact. You won't feel a thing when I wipe your memory. So…" I pop open the vial's cap, sighing. "Just relax. You don't wanna make your wing even worse."

Having wetted the rag with more spore-liquid, I close the vial and crouch down to Jess. He flinches with the little strength he has left. As I'm about to cover his beak again, he says something more.

"Why… are you like this…?"

Like this?

I was always like this. Cold-hearted, as someone might say. But what brought me to this situation, the events leading up to this, my obsession over Him… that wasn't inside me before.

So this'll be your answer.

"You should know," I mutter. "You were there."

With that, I muzzle the beak of my beloved former ace, and don't let go until he's gone completely limp.

---​

I didn't sleep well that night.

Things had gone smoothly after Jess was knocked out, yes. I’d released Shirlee to check whether she was still awake or not, rag drenched and ready to pacify her, and to my great relief, the spikes had done their job. Wanting to play it safe, I kept the rag on her beak for a little longer before moving on to carving the seals.

Nothing had gone wrong there, either. While the carving was far more difficult for Jess given his plumage, I managed to draw on the skin between his feathers. After finishing the sigil with no slips of my hand, the symbol had glowed to let me know the erasure had been successful. The same went for Shirlee - though in her case, I of course set the time frame to be several hours instead of simply one. She needed to forget the end of our alley meetup as well, after all.

But all this luck couldn't shelter me from the storm of worry that ravaged my brain each moment spent lying awake. The fact stood that I'd injured Jess's wing somehow, possibly even broken it, and something like that wouldn’t go unnoticed. Sure, there was nothing tying me to that injury - I even checked for stray hairs of mine on his body - but it's guaranteed to cause a stir. And stirs put everyone on high alert. That's never good.

There's also the risk of them finding the wounds on their bodies and getting curious. Like I said, nothing ties those to me - unless Jess and Shirlee were to somehow meet up and tell each other about their similar wounds and connect them to me since I'm the only contact they share - but it'll still make them look for answers. I just have to hope that the numbing gel masks the sting long enough and that Shirlee doesn't find a way to clearly look at what's inside of her mantle lining. Same for Jess, but with the back of his head. At least the feathers cover it. Though if his wing really is broken or otherwise hurts enough to warrant a hospital visit, someone there might examine him thoroughly and find the seal for him...

But I guess I can ruminate on all this later. Right now, I have one last step to take in my plan.

I approach the toolbox sitting on the training room's floor. Well, training-slash-storage. One half of the room is dedicated to random crap never moved, while the other half actually sees use - its training mats and weights are what I use to keep up this toned body of mine. HE would settle for nothing less, but I have to admit that I do take pride and pleasure in looking so damn good.

Maybe that's what kept Shirlee coming back, too. It's strange that a cephalopod would have human notions of attractiveness, but maybe commercials and movies really are that powerful. For fools like her, at least.

I frown. It's that same culture that makes her think this new form of hers is abhorrent. While her suffering does not bother me, the misguided basis for it does.

But I can't convince her out of it. I need her to believe this lie. Otherwise she might spread the truth to the masses, and then her career wouldn't sink after all - it might reach new heights, in fact.

Oh well. It's no news to me that this world is upside down. Before I get the power to rectify it, I just have to play along.

I crouch and open the toolbox. The ultra ball lies within like before, but the spikes and key I've moved elsewhere for the time being. Careful not to accidentally put my hand over the ball mid-release, I slowly grab it and lift it out. It doesn’t seem like she’s coming out, though. She might still be knocked out - or asleep. Last night was rough on her, and evolution likely takes a good amount of energy out of you in general.

I de-minimize the ball, aim it at the mattress in front of me and click the button for release. Not full release, though, as I’ll later have to smuggle her out of the house unnoticed. I can unregister her after that.

The ball opens and, through a stream of light, a malamar appears on the mattress. Limp. Guess I was right and she wasn’t staying in just to sulk or something. Unfortunately this means I’ll have to sit through more of it. But maybe I’ll get some trademark sadistic joy of mine from it, who knows?

I sigh. Let’s just get this over with.

I pick up the container of smelling salts I’d stashed in the toolbox as well and hover the open container near her beak. Soon enough, her eyelids start twitching. Okay, this is it. Remember the story.

I clear my throat and take a seat on the nearby stool. Shirlee’s motions start getting stronger. She knots her brow… or is it more like her chin? She’s using it like a brow, but she’s upside down, right? Or is this form actually the one that’s right side up? This really is a strange family of mon.

She grunts in discomfort, eyes still closed. She squirms just a bit.

“Shirlee?” I quietly ask.

“Mrmhh...” The tentacles atop her head coil. Her eyelids waver, then separate. “Wait… where...”

My wrist tingles, and the reason soon becomes clear - she’s trying to lift herself up, though with poor success. Her puzzled expression shows that she knows something’s off. She struggles for a while, maybe hoping it’ll ward off… until her squinted eyes widen in horror.

She splats right down onto the mattress and brings her clubs to her face. “Oh Gods, am I… did I...”

“Yeah.” I pause. I guess I should say it. “I'm sorry.”

She stays still, only staring at her clubs with eyes like vinyl discs. Her brain must be collapsing on itself.

“What did you do?” she snaps, catching me off guard.

“I -- whoa, I didn’t do anything,” I respond, scrambling to enter the story I’ve weaved. “I found you like this.”

“What do you mean, ‘found me’?”

Oh, this is a quick pace. I better keep up. “You were near passed out on a street. How much do you remember?”

Shirlee looks pissed, but she’s not trying to break my neck, so I guess she’s trusting me to some extent. “I… I remember you were an asshole,” she says. “And I left you…”

Left me? That’s what you say about boyfriends. Did she really think we were an item?

“B-but then you texted me and I saw your a-apology to your friend and I agreed to see you...” she continues. “And then I don’t remember.”

The seal did its job. I knew it would, but it’s still relieving to have it confirmed.

“Wh-what happened?” she asks, voice now weaker.

“Well...” I sigh, avoiding her looks. “We did meet up, and you did look into my mind… but I guess you didn’t like what you saw. So you left, still pissed at me, but you didn’t head back towards the hotel. I asked you where you were going, and you said you needed a drink. I didn’t follow, but I did stick around in the city to get more out of my trip, and an hour or two later I spotted someone with a coat just like yours struggling to hover outside a bar. I decided to check, and… it was you, since you recognized me. Just…” I gesture at her and sigh. “Different. I guess that’d happened to you somehow.”

She looks at her clubs again and whimpers. “Oh Gods, this can’t be real...”

Then her eyes sharpen again. They glare at me. What?

“Where the hell am I now, then?” she demands.

“Uhh, my house.”

“How did you bring me here? Did you carry me, or -- you better have carried me --”

“Uhh, I...” Yeah, I didn’t expect her to find the idea that comfortable. I produce the ultra ball from my pocket, feigning shame. “Sorry.”

“You…!”

My wrist tingles again. Oh shit, is she gonna throw something? I need to calm her down.

I drop the ball and raise my palms. “I-I figured you didn’t wanna be seen like that by the public or some paparazzo! And… well, your new form is a lot bigger. I wouldn’t be able to carry that.”

“How the fuck would they have even known it was me?” she screams, prompting more suppressing gestures from me - this room isn’t soundproof like its hidden neighbor. “I'm a malamar! A big, ugly…” She sniffs, tears forming in her eyes. “I'm so fucking ugly.”

You’re not. You’re beautiful, mesmerizing, terrifying. A masterpiece sculpted by the currents of the deep sea. I would be thrilled to have a body as powerful and deadly as that.

But I just can't tell you that. I have to look away in second-hand shame. It feels slimy, even for me.

“Where’s my phone?” she mumbles.

“Oh, that's in your coat.” I fetch the coat I'd left on the floor and bring it to her. She digs out the phone, turns it on and soon begins to tap.

“That's a lot of missed calls…” she sighs. “Anders is gonna fuckin’ lose it when he hears about this…”

Nevertheless, she starts a call. After a few doots of no response, the other end picks up.

“Where the hell are you?” snaps a male voice.

“Pallet, but --”

She can't even finish the sentence before a tidal wave of expletives rolls her way. What a lovely person that manager is. Somehow, though, she manages to cleave through the continuous mass of insults and complaints with one quickly uttered pair of words.

“I evolved.”

The line goes dead silent. So does the whole room. The only motion seen are the tears inching down along Shirlee's cheek.

“You evolved?” the voice finally asks. It's eerily calm.

“Yeah.” She sniffles.

A pause.

“You said you were in Pallet, right?” the voice says.

Shirlee blinks. “Uh-huh.”

“Koratta Row 13 again?”

“Fourteen,” I correct.

“Fourteen,” Shirlee repeats. “But yeah.”

“Okay. Someone'll be there in twenty minutes.”

“Okay.”

“...Don't be seen.”

The call ended before Shirlee could reply.

Her tentacle goes limp, flopping down onto the bed along with the phone.

“I guess that's it,” she sighs. “My career's over.”

She stares blankly at the floor. But then, without warning, she looks at me.

“Listen, um...” she begins. "I'm sorry for yelling at you. You were just trying to help."

Accepting the story? Good. "It's alright," I say. "You were just upset."

"And…" She sighs. "Sorry for doubting you, too. Regarding your past. It's clear that you've changed from whatever you were years ago… and I can understand you wanting to hide your past."

Oh. Well, that's nice. But it's a little too late. "Thanks," I reply anyway.

"So, with all that cleared up…" Her eyes light up, just a little, and she gives me a pleading gaze. "Could we… still be friends?"

Oof. Yeah. About that.

"Listen…" I start.

She already winces.

"I've been thinking, and I don't think it's gonna work out."

"What… do you mean?" she asks faintly, almost whispering.

Her wanting to patch things up will make this a little harder, but I'm sure I can still make this work. "I mean… when you read my mind last night, you rejected me. You couldn't accept my past. You saw that I'd changed, but you didn't forgive me. I don't think I can be friends with someone who can't see past my former self."

"But I…" Her eyes water again. "I-I want to forgive you now! I don't care about your past! I'm sure I-I made a mistake --"

“No,” I interrupt, “you showed me how you really feel. And even here, the first thing you did when you woke up was to yell at me. It’s clear that you don’t like me.”

She leans forward on her tentacles, as if she was begging on hands and knees. “No! I-I was just upset at being evolved! I'm sorry I snapped at you!”

Hmph. Of course she’s trying her hardest to win me back now. Crawling back to the only one that saw beyond her fame. Predictable.

I cross my arms, shaking my head. “Don't bother. I’ve made up my mind. It’s better for us both to go our separate ways.”

“No, please --”

This isn’t going anywhere. I need to put my foot down. “I’ve made up my mind,” I say, voice raised. “As soon as your ride gets here, I want you out.”

Her expression freezes. Wide eyes, beak ajar. If she had a lower lip, it would be quivering.

But then, a scowl. A face befitting of her body. Maybe too much. Too much like last night.

A buzz in the wrist, oh fuck!

She recoils a bit at my sudden motion to cover my throat. In confusion. She wasn't going for the neck? Then what?

As her glower regains its strength, my question is answered - a rectangle slides out of my pocket.

"Wh- hey!" I'm relieved she's not trying to kill me, but what the hell, that's mine!

She levitates the phone to her faster than I can catch it. Face still wrinkled in anger, she begins to tap.

"What the hell are you doing?" I ask, getting up, but a firm push knocks me back. Not that I let it keep me down for long, but dammit, she does it again!

"Payback," she says. "Of course your passcode is still the same," she adds in a mutter.

Payback? What does she mean by that? I'd love to stop it, whatever it is, but she's… making sure I stay in my seat with… these damn shoves!

Oh fuck, I really hope she isn't planning on sending my lord anything bad -- wait, no, I don't have His number on there. It never came up. Well, that's good… but I still want that phone back. I was starting to make progress with it. It might actually help me overcome my fear, open up whole new opportunities, give me more substance to my life --

"Ugh!" she groans. "Where the fuck is your Chatter? Do you not have one?" She taps and swipes some more, then --

"Knew it, isn't even downloaded. Are you some kind of fossil?"

I can't answer her question, whatever it was, because I'm frozen by the screen she's showing. White.

"What, what's with that look?" she asks, then sneers. "Oh, what, light theme hurting your poor little eyeballs?"

Icons on the screen. Zubat, gastly, drowzee, omastar, nidoking, pidgeot, lapras, more, more, they're all there. Everybody. They're all in there. Trapped. I have to get them out, get Him out, before something happens, but to get them out, I have to…

But I can't move. I can't decide how I move and when, that's what they do. The ones screaming, laughing, demanding. The ones making me do all this, just for their entertainment. Or I don't know what they want. There's too many of them to listen, too much noise to think.

The hand raises, and it reaches for the mouse. No, no -- or yes? This is how I can get them out -- but maybe they'd be safer inside, inside no one can touch them, though even if someone did it wouldn't matter because this only happens to me, it only happens to me and no one else sees, they -- the demons, these monsters, they make it so no one sees, no one hears, no one remembers unless they want them to and they allow it to… to progress on my path, but then they're also the ones always holding me back, walking the same steps over and over, going to these… hell-machines and --

Doing this, doing exactly this. The mouse has hit my hand, my trembling hand. The cursor shakes, approaches the omastar, enters His area -- oh Gods, no, or yes, I need Him out but what if I...

Click.

Oh Gods. There it is, low on the menu that's popped up. Release. It looks so innocent, that word, but it's a liar. It's death. It means death.

But there's also Withdraw, higher up. Withdraw means freedom. Or not directly, but it's a necessary part. Withdraw and log off. Take the balls and walk away. That's how you can save them. That's how no one dies, and that's how you can progress.

The cursor's moving down, towards Withdraw. Soon… there! It's on Withdraw! Click! Click now! Please…

They aren't clicking.

They're dragging the cursor down. No. Not there. Not to Release. Not Him, please, not Him, anyone else, don't go closer, no, no!

This was a mistake. I shouldn't try to get Him out. I should let Him stay in. We should let them all stay in, please! We can find other teammates! Please, listen to me! Just let me leave! I-I don't want Him to --

Click.

“No!” I scream. The word burns my throat, but it’s nothing compared to the pit in my stomach, the endless void that just keeps getting deeper with every moment of consciousness, of understanding what’s happening. The surreality being reality. Him being, Him being…

No, I can’t, I can’t accept it, I have to do something! I can scream, so I can do something, I still have some control, if I just try… and I have to try, I’ll try to break the fucking thing, it can’t kill if it’s broken!

Under every restraint, every ton weighing down on my body from all directions to keep it in place, the rage and the will and the despair boils over and the miracle happens -- the hand flies forth for the monitor, fist clenched -- and smashes onto the glass.

The glass gives way. The monitor flies back.

What? That doesn’t make sense. It would be too heavy. It should have broken, or it should have broken my hand…

It smacks into the wall - crack - and falls to the floor with a shattered screen. Flat, small, wrong shape. Wrong things on the screen…

What’s going on?

Shirlee’s staring at me. Since when is Shirlee here? Where is… here? Grays, browns, blue mattresses…

...right, this is…

“What the fuck was that?” yells Shirlee. “Are you, like, five? Can’t solve your problems with words, you just punch right at them?”

She… caused that. She just caused that nightmare. That plunge into the worst time of my life…

“You’re gonna pay me back for that phone, by the way!” she continues. “If you’re just gonna fucking dump me like this, I want back the money I spent on you!”

I want her out. Now.

“Get out,” I rasp.

“Cough up the money first!” she screeches. “I’m not leaving without it!”

I nearly snap back, but realize there’s a better way. A much better, much faster way.

I swipe the ultra ball off the floor and click it.

Shirlee’s eyes widen. “You motherf-”

The light gets to her before she can finish. With a flash, she’s back inside.

I grab her coat and shove the ball within, shortly joined by her phone off the mattress. The two items wrapped in the thick garment, I bolt out of the room, up the stairs, into the first floor, through that, and out the front door.

Leaping down the steps, I shove the coat to the ground. The ball rolls out, and soon the malamar emerges again.

She reorients herself, then turns to me with a glare. “How fucking dare y-”

“Leave,” I growl, drilling my eyes into hers.

She pauses, but soon recovers. “I’m not leaving without --”

“Leave, or I’ll fucking kill you.”

She flinches.

It shouldn’t mean anything to a beast like her, a threat from a human. A human with no weapons, no less.

But she’s seen what’s inside. The hatred pouring out of my eye sockets. The intent to hurt. To kill.

Not in self defense, not from a primal gut reaction, but out of conscious, crystal clear malice.

She doesn't dare to move. She simply floats in place, bringing that steady hum to my fading wounds, until she says just three quiet words.

"You never changed."

I don't feel the need to respond. She's gone now, and that's all that matters.

Sparing her no more space in my vision, I turn around and walk back inside.

As the door closes behind me, I can let myself breathe. It's finally over. I never have to see her again.

But there's still that gaping hollow where my guts should be. Something feels wrong. Dangerous. Unstable. The world isn't how it should be…

Eager for some change, I walk deeper into the house. The snow stuck to my socks is starting to melt, that's a little annoying…

"Red?"

I look to my right. Fonz stares back over the couch.

"What was that all about?" he asks.

I blink to gather my thoughts. I guess I still have some lies to weave.

But my mind's drawing a blank… it doesn't seem to want to think while that strange dread is still there…

Maybe I need to see Him. He always made me feel better, before this whole Shirlee thing, at least… but that should be over now. I shouldn't care anymore, knowing for a fact that His distraction will soon disappear. I just need to see Him, and it'll all be okay…

I say nothing while I approach the couch. Fonz looks a little offended, but he'll get his answer as soon as I feel better. Just a few more steps, and I'll see Him again - I know He's there, He's always hanging out there.

One more step, and I'll see His wonderful form. His shell, His smooth sandy-brown shell. I love the touch of it. His shiny arms, vivid blue, lined with little suckers He loves to stick to me with. And I love to be stuck to. It's like little kisses.

I should tell Him. I should tell Him how much I care. How much joy I get just from seeing Him. How ecstatic I feel when I get to hold Him. Maybe even how incredible it is I can even feel that way, given how much hate I have for the rest of the world, how readily I hurt and kill the others… no, He shouldn't know that. He's too naive. He'd think that's bad, that I'm bad...

But nevermind that. My adoration is still true. Maybe I’ll tell Him about that right now as I see Him.

I take the final step.

There He sits. But He’s holding…

No!

I plunge my hand for the screen, the white screen, the blinding window to the virtual hell. I feel its surface meet my palm, and I clutch it with fingers like talons, tear it from His hold, fling it as hard as I can!

It flops down, screen up, still glowing, the danger isn’t gone. I need to protect Him.

“Wh-hey, what --” He tries, but I grab Him by His shell - His lovely shell - and lift Him to my arms, clutching Him tight. Where do I take Him? Where will He be safe? Dammit, stop squirming, please, this is for Your own safety--

“Red, what’s going on?”

Fonz has gotten up. Confused. Why is he confused? Doesn’t he know what that thing can do? Why did he let Him near it in the first place? Why did I let Him use it? How could I have forgotten? What kind of guardian am I…?

No, I can’t dwell on that now! I have to get Him somewhere safe! But where? Downstairs? No, the other phone's in there! Upstairs? No, Jess's computer is there, that's even worse! Outside? No, it's too cold out there for Him, and any passerby is gonna have another screen on them! Oh Gods, what does that leave?

"Lemme go!" groans my lord, tentacles flailing about or trying to pry off my arms in vain, only tugging on my sleeves.

Now Fonz is approaching, claws held out. He wants to take Him away from me. From safety.

"No!" I growl and step back.

"What are you doing?" the nidoking asks, tense.

“I’m keeping Him safe!”

“From wh-” he starts, but cuts himself off as he looks over his shoulder, staring at the phone in realization. Is he finally getting it?

He turns back to me with… how do I describe those eyes? Disappointed? He should be disappointed, yeah, in himself. But there’s also fear. Fear of what might have happened if he didn’t get this refresher, right?

“Phones can’t hurt Him,” he says. No, I had it all wrong. He’s still deluded!

“What are you two talking about?” yells my lord. What are we… doesn’t He know?

Does He really not remember?

I turn around, shielding Him from Fonz’s grabby claws, and look into His eyes. He winces and draws halfway into His shell. What… why? I’m Your guardian, why would You… no, He’s just startled, confused. He’ll understand soon.

“Don’t You remember?” I ask, voice softer and quieter. “Don’t You remember how dangerous those things are?”

“Red --” tries Fonz behind me, but I step further away, ignoring him.

“What things?” my lord asks. He’s quiet too.

“Screens… computers, phones, they’re just smaller computers… they’re not safe, my lord, don’t You remember what they do?”

No recognition in those eyes. Just fear. He doesn’t… how could He not…

Suppressed, maybe it’s suppressed, or He’s denying it. But He has to acknowledge it. It might hurt, but He has to stay safe. This is for His own good…

“They trap You in, and they kill You! Th-they force You in Your ball and lock You in and i-if Release is pressed, it breaks in some way and You, Y-You --”

“Red!”

Thick claws grab my shoulder and force me to meet Fonz’s eyes. I try to turn back, but now he’s got both shoulders, and his grip is way too tight. No!

“You gotta stop this,” he says, leaning in. His horn almost touches my forehead, even as I’m hunching myself over my lord.

“No, I won’t let you take Him! He won’t be safe!”

“It’s been six years! He’s been safe ever since! There’s no danger anymore!”

“No, it's -- we've just been careless! It could’ve happened again at any time --”

“It couldn’t have! And it still can’t! Especially not with a regular phone, where would the ball even go?”

I… I don’t know! But it’d do it somehow!

“And what ball, even? He hasn’t had a ball in years! We unregistered it, remember? We sold it away, just like all the other ones!”

We did, but...

“And even if it was a center PC, the only thing it could happen with, it was only the Voices! They made it happen! And they’ve been gone for years!”

The Voices… the distortions...

Fonz exhales heavily. "Please. Snap out of it. You're scaring Him."

Him…

I look down at Him.

He’s fully retracted into His shell, tentacles shielding His face. They’re shifting nervously, and I think even… trembling.

It hurts, seeing Him like that. I want to hurt whoever’s responsible, but that person is me.

Why did I do that? Why did I yell at Him? For His safety? From… a phone, just a phone? What could it possibly do?

Fonz is right… it’s just a phone. Just a glowy little rectangle. It can’t do anything.

There was no reason for me to yell at Him. Scare Him, hurt Him. I just… hurt Him.

The coils of that realization wrap around my organs and constrict like a serpent. It makes it hard to speak, but I have to say this, I have to try and save at least some face…

“I… I’m sorry...”

I feel Fonz’s grip loosen. But he’s not letting go. Right, I… I should just…

I pry Him out of my own embrace and offer Him to Fonz, hands shaking. Eyes now understanding, he cautiously takes Him and steps back.

The emptiness in my palms is freezing yet burning. But I can’t hold Him anymore. I don’t want to hurt Him anymore…

I lower my hands and tuck them into my armpits. I should just get out of here.

The basement, that's where I should go. Away from everyone. Maybe hide in my hidden room until I… get the energy to emerge again.

I take some steps back, then turn around properly to circle the kitchen table... I feel like the long way is warranted. I reach the door to the staircase - still open from my previous storming out - and stop.

I look at Fonz. He looks back with a heavy gaze. The shell in his claws still has no blue coming out.

That’s my fault. That’s my fault.

As if it was a reflex, the words come out again.

“I’m sorry...”

But I know I could say it a thousand times and it wouldn’t make it any better. That’s why it’s better for me to just leave.

I step down a stair and close the door behind me. My legs don’t want to go further, but I force them to, and eventually I reach the bottom floor. I keep going, approaching the bookcase, but as I pass the training room, I stop.

The phone that Shirlee gave me is still lying down next to the wall, screen cracked. It’s gone dark since.

Before I can stop myself, I walk to it and crouch. But nothing happens anyway. Because it’s just a phone. It can’t do anything.

And yet, it just made me ruin everything I’ve spent the last few weeks on. Hell, months. I raised Him. Well, Fonz did a lot too, but I fed Him, played with Him, took care of His hygiene… I wanted to, sure, but I did that with the belief I’d have Him for the rest of my life. Mortal life, anyway. And His life.

I’d love to conquer this fear just out of spite. Get rid of this ball and chain on my leg. But if this is what’s gonna happen, if it’s gonna push Him further away, and hurt like a bitch in the process…

I’m never bothering with this shit again. It just wasn’t meant to be.

I pick up the phone and throw it against another wall. It clacks and falls. I let it be for now and lie down on the mattress.

What an idiot I’ve been. Stupid, impatient. Couldn't just let this Shirlee thing run its course, no, had to try and meddle with it. And look where that got me - worse off than it ever was.

Maybe this can be repaired. Maybe He can still accept me in His life. But He'll never trust me the way He used to. And it's sure as hell gonna be a while before He even lets me touch Him again.

My face is burning. Water prickles at the edges of my eyes. I sigh. I’m so tired… I just want to rest.

I try to close my eyes, but the moment the eyelids meet, I see Him again. Quivering in my arms. It shocks me fully awake. If that’s gonna keep happening, I definitely won’t sleep well tonight. Or for a long time.

I guess I should just accept it.

I was simply never meant to have love.

---​

Epilogue
Okay, now we are finally done for really reals - here is the epilogue. Same ratings as always. Hope you enjoy.

---

EPILOGUE

---​

It's been about a week since my freakout.

I haven't spoken to Him since. Fonz I've only had brief conversations with, and few have mentioned Him. How is He doing? I ask. He's fine, he answers, and that's the extent of it. It's not that I couldn't bring myself to pry if I wanted to - it's more that… I'm scared to find out the details.

Because of course He isn't fine. I saw His face. He was not fine then, and He would not be fine for a long time.

That memory twists my gut again. I shuffle to a different position on the couch and force myself to focus on the TV screen to get my mind off the feeling. The reality show on at the moment is supremely uninteresting, but I could, say, think about what would happen if a contestant suddenly exploded live on air. Guts flying everywhere. How would the people react? Do the producers have a plan for situations like those? Could they get sued?

Clacks from upstairs catch my attention. Must be Jess's talons. They descend the stairs and waddle up to the couch, and there he is, the packaged pidgeot.

"Hey," I say. "How's your wing?"

He glances at his wrapped wing. "It's okay," he says and climbs onto the couch using his beak and feet. I guess birds aren't totally helpless without their flight.

When Jess woke up from the spores, it was an hour or so after my phone incident. He made it clear from the start that he was in pain - he came downstairs groaning and moaning, lamenting his wing and how it hurt to move and he didn't know what he did to make that happen.

I wasn't sure what course of action to take - I'd expected before that Fonz would be the one to aid his fellow mon, but with the tense atmosphere in the house, I couldn't count on Fonz daring to leave me alone with my lord. But going with Jess wasn't a good idea, either. Just one involuntary facial cue at the right time could let somebody know I knew more about his injury than I let on. If they then confronted me about it… I don't know if I'd be able to lie convincingly. In the worst case, panic might set my inner killer free. They can't tell anyone if they're not alive, he would say, and I'd listen before my rational side got hold of the mic again.

Thankfully, a third option presented itself at the critical moment. Good old Abe, the friendly little fool he was, absorbed all the worry for himself and took it as his duty to help my old ace for whatever reason. He called a cab to take him and the bird to the hospital. To show my support of this idea, I paid for it. I don't usually like to spend, but this I saw as a worthwhile investment in goodwill.

The boy and bird left and returned some time later, Jess with his wing now wrapped up. They said nothing about strange wounds at the back of his head, so either it wasn't found or… they decided it was not something to share. I hope for the first.

Jess reaches for the pouch hanging from his neck and pulls out his smartphone. I suppress a grimace and look back at the TV. It's still very boring. Maybe I should just leave. Take a walk. The second one today…

"So… how are things with you?" Jess asks.

"Fine." No use getting into the subject with this feather duster.

"You don't seem fine. It looks like things are still sour between you and the others."

He's gonna make me talk about this anyway, isn't he?

He shuffles a bit closer and sighs. "I'm sorry, dude. I know you have a lot of baggage from back then."

"Uh-huh."

"I can tell you didn't mean any harm. I mean, everyone knows how much you appreciate that little dude. I think Fonz knows too, but he's just… shaken up about it. Both are."

I sigh. This is why people are poor comfort. They just tell you lies you'd like to believe.

At least I have words of my own to use. "I'd rather not talk about this," I say.

"Ah. Alright." And back to his phone he goes.

I return to the TV. The program's ending now. Maybe the next one won't be as crap. Or maybe there's something better on another channel now.

As I reach for the remote, a familiar face on the screen freezes me.

"How does a pop star manage when her life has literally turned upside down? Singer-songwriter Shirley Tanner, better known by her stage name Shirlee, shares her experiences and plans for her future after a sudden evolution on a special episode of The Current Isshu, tomorrow at 9 pm."

The preview image shows the malamar along with a photo of her previous self. The malamar looks confident, even sage, as far as I can read malamar expressions. Someone that'd write a self help book based on her own experiences.

It tenses my body and curls my hands into fists. She can't be over it so quickly. I want her to be scarred. It's only fair after she tore open my wounds.

But then again, celebrities are used to pretending. They know how to fake composure. I'm sure that's what's going on here. She's only acting brave. Inside, she knows her career is done. She knows she'll never have her cute little former body again. She's a deep sea terror now. It's up to her to embrace it, and I know she likely won't. Too attached to this civilization's notions of beauty.

I stealthily glance at Jess. Maybe this could be a worthwhile topic. I can't say I'm not interested in the results of my scheme even if its possible benefits have been nullified.

"Oh, Shirlee evolved?" I remark so that Jess hears.

He looks up from his screen to the TV. "Oh, yeah. That happened. Fangirls are freaking out, everyone else is memeing. I guess you got your wish? Though it's a bit too… late… yeah." He withdraws as he realizes the touchy subject.

"So this is career-ruining?"

Jess shrugs. “Well, she’s taking a hit for sure, but she might be able to work with this. Rebrand herself or whatever. She definitely has all eyes on her now, so it’d be the perfect time to make some bold move.”

Hmm. With all her emotions right now, she likely won’t be able to strategize that well… but she does have plenty of people around her. And those people probably don’t want the money train to stop any more than she does.

But will she like the new identity they come up with? Will she go with it? I taught her to stick up to her crew, but will she want to avoid any advice I’ve given now that she knows I’m… well, I don’t know how much she knows, how much she found out from the slip of my facade, but I doubt she thinks too highly of me in any case.

But beyond her… "Does my lord know?"

"Think so."

"How's He taking it? Can't be that well with how much He likes her…"

Jess looks up at me, unblinking. What?

"Did you not hear?" he asks.

I have a bad feeling about this. "Hear what?"

"He got over her a while ago."

I blink. I blink again.

No, that can't be right.

"Like a week?" he adds. Shut up, Jess. You're wrong. Shut up. But I can't have him just shut up, can I? I still have to know, don't I?

I stare deep into his eyes to make sure he's serious and speak very slowly. "What do you mean… 'got over'?"

His golden gaze doesn't waver. "He realized it was kinda dumb. He even put the shirt up for sale. With Fonz's help, of course."

I think he's really telling the truth.

Like debris from a collapsing building, words fall from my mouth.

"How… how did I never notice?"

"I dunno. Were you paying attention to Him?"

I…

I guess I wasn't.

I didn't want to see Him fawn over Shirlee… and as a result, I pretty much avoided Him. But haven't I seen Him look at Shirlee recently? Have I…? I can't remember any specific event… He's been on His phone, yes, but I don't think I've actually seen what's on it…

So it's very possible that all of this was pointless to begin with.

Every letter sent to her, every word spoken. Chasing down Tamaki. Kidnapping her. Breaking Jess's wing. Buying that expensive fucking wine! I never did get her drunk!

"You alright?"

I abstain from smashing in Jess's beak with a fist. "I'm fine." I get up quickly and head for the stairs. I need to go lie down. Anything to calm myself.

Gods, I sure could go for a meowth right about now.

---​

"McKimble is almost done with the Mankey Bars, with plenty of time to spare on the clock and -- oh! Rough landing! But he's not letting that slow him down. With that vigor, he may well become our first contestant of the night to reach the Carousel of Chaos…"

The man in blue spandex continues his journey through the perilous obstacle course while the commentators make remarks that I'm sure could be considered humorous by some demographic. At least they're explaining what's happening, as it's kind of tough to see from all the way over here from the kitchen.

Not that I'm really invested in the show. Just some Unovans stumbling about and humiliating themselves in hopes of money and fame. Though I do have to admit there’s something satisfying about watching those people slip and bounce on the big rubber balls…

Nevertheless, it's not what's on the screen that interests me but the ones watching it. Specifically Him. But I have to keep my distance to keep things comfortable. I can't be there with Him on the couch, cradling His shell in my arms, warming His little arms…

I sigh. I shouldn't think about those things. It only hurts more knowing what I'm missing out on.

Knock, knock.

Hm? That came from the door. Fonz noticed, judging by his perked ears - but I'm the closest, so I may as well go.

I make my way to the door. Who would be out at this hour? The last and probably only person who's come knocking here at night was Shirlee… but there's no way she'd ever come back. Or is there? Ugh, does she still want me to pay back for the phone?

"Who's there?" I ask.

"I have an important message for Mr Red Akai," answers a masculine voice.

A message? Is this some kind of personal letter carrier? Did Shirlee send one? Or even Tamaki?

I glance over to the living room. Fonz is keeping his eyes on me. I have a witness. Still, I should be prepared.

I hover my hand over my knife and open the door.

Arktos?

"Evening," he says, expressionless. He's not wearing his suit. In fact, he's not wearing anything, which is kind of jarring - until I remember he's a mon, and a thick-furred one at that. Didn't stop me from looking at his crotch, though. Nothing was visible, but now I have to live with the fact that my eyes instinctively sought out bear dick.

"May I have a word with you outside?" he asks.

I eye the paws he keeps at his sides. Strong claws. Just a knife won't protect me against those.

"How do I know you won't hurt me?" I ask.

"I can announce my name to your family if you want," he says. "I have no reason to hide it."

Giving his name… leaving tracks. He's not here to kill me, at least.

I nod and move aside to let him into the hall. He walks into view of the others and clears his throat.

"My name is Gavriil Arktos," he calmly explains. "May I see Mr Red Akai for a moment outside?"

"Uh… sure," Fonz answers, probably wondering why his permission is needed.

Arktos gives his thanks and goes back outside. I quickly throw on a coat, pocket my keys and follow him, shutting the door behind me.

It's pretty cold out. Snowflakes are floating about, illuminated by the lights of my house and the street. A car is parked on the street. Not a limo, though. Just a regular looking car.

I watch my step as I walk some way into the front yard, then turn to the bear. "So what did you want?"

Thwack.

The world flips on its side. No, I do. Cold snow presses against my cheek. The other is burning. Did that… did that fucker just hit me?

I grab my knife and pull it out. Holding it up, I clamber to my knees, ready to stab or at least block. Little good did that announcement shit do! This guy was just pretending. He's here to kill me. He's gonna --

No, he steps back. Arms at his sides. What gives?

"Relax," he says. "I'm not here to fight you."

Not here to -- "You just hit me!"

"There was a mosquito."

"It's winter!"

"Let's just say I won't do that again. Is that alright?"

What the hell is he on about? Keeping a close eye on him, I carefully get up, but he stays immobile. Just stares with those beady black eyes. It's almost creepy…

But it really seems like he's not about to attack me again. After some seconds of hesitation, I huff and sheathe my knife. "Fine."

"It's clearly not the first time you've handled that thing," he remarks.

"Yeah, and what of it?"

"Figures you'd have a thing for knives. Many of 'em do."

"What do you mean by 'them'?"

His upper lip draws back for his next word, flashing his teeth. "Snakes."

"Snakes?"

"People that pretend to be good. Polite and proper, even friendly. But in reality, they're cold. Violent. Just looking out for themselves. And they don't care how much harm they do in the process."

I sneer. "Isn't that a little offensive to arbok?"

"Don't pretend like you care. Snakes never care."

Hm. He's convinced that I'm like these snakes he speaks of. How come? Did Shirlee make up some lie to rile him up and get him to come here? Or is he actually so attached to that inkay that hurting her feelings in any way is already a crime? Oh, such a gentleman, defending his lady's honor…

"What makes you come here and call me names, huh?" I ask. "And what have I done that would make me such a villain in your eyes?"

"Killed a kitten, for one."

I freeze.

How does he know? If he knows, has he told the cops? Are they gonna catch me? But wait - it's been over a week. Why haven't I heard anything? Why did Arktos only come here now? Why did he even come here if the police should handle it?

Oh… I get it. He can't prove I did it. At best he only has loose facts to tie me to the kitten. I was nearby at the time, I went for a walk, I showed a 'fake' coin to the driver - dammit, I knew I shouldn't have done that, but I got cocky… it felt so good to dangle a trophy right in someone's face without them knowing…

But Celadon is a big city. Anyone could have done it. Anything. There are plenty of other ferals living in cities. And I've hidden the coin well, in my secret room. Or… oh Gods, could they search my house?

Arktos grimaces. "So I was right. It's clear from your reaction. You sick bastard…"

On one hand, I feel cornered, caught - but on the other, I love hearing how disgusting I am…

But I was right before. He can't go to the cops, not enough evidence. Or at least he thinks so, and that's the only thing that matters as long as he's the only one looking into this.

In that case, back to the moment. "You didn't answer my first question. Why are you here?"

His paws curl into fists. Startling - but he did swear not to hit me again. And this only shows his frustration towards not being able to take any real action. I'm safe.

“It’s like I said,” he growls. “I’m here to give a message.”

“From Shirlee?”

“Shirlee doesn’t know about this. I figured she wouldn’t like knowing she trusted a psychopath. This is just from me to you.”

Yes, shelter the heart of your beloved queen. “What is it, then?”

He steps closer. I don’t allow myself to flinch. I want to show him he can’t make a dent in me.

“A warning,” he says.

“A threat?” What would he threaten me with? What would he accomplish?

“Not a threat. Just a fact. One I’ve learned from years of dealing with snakes.”

“And what would that fact be?”

His black glare becomes sterner. It’s clear the words he’s about to say are the ones he came all the way here for.

“You can’t hide your true self forever. You may have managed it this time, kept on your mask, but masks have a tendency to come off. One day you’re gonna slip up, beyond any possibility of covering it up - and on that day, you’re gonna lose everything.”

He falls silent. A frigid wind hums in the distance, filling in the void left by his words.

I want to brush off his message, just say he’s wrong and move on, but he’s… so sure.

How can he be so sure?

How would he know that about me?

...He doesn’t.

He doesn’t know a damn thing.

“Is that all?” I ask, toneless.

“That is all.”

I pry my lips into a smirk. It makes his jaw clench. Those thick muscles on his skull tense and bulge. He’d love to bite into my neck, I’m sure. Like an animal. But I’m the only one here who gets to be one.

“I’m sorry to say, Mr Arktos, but I think your trip here was in vain.”

I stroll to the front door. He doesn’t move. Having ascended the steps, I give him the most smug look I can muster.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

He stares in silence. Loud silence.

Then, he speaks.

“I suppose there’s nothing else I want to say.” He turns around and heads for the car. Unlocks the door, opens it, sits inside, closes the door.

No, he doesn’t. He keeps it open, just for a while longer.

“Tell your family I wish them well,” he says.

He shuts the door, starts his car and drives away.

What a character, huh.

Thinking I’ll be caught.

I will never be caught.

I unlock the door and step back inside.

---

END

---​

There were two great big punchy successes of narrative in this chapter. I'll get to the second. Let's start with the phone scene.

I spend half my life these days on my phone or computer, but reading Red's sustained anxiety and suffering as he tries to struggle through accepting his gift of a phone, I found myself dreading the use of an electronic screen. His phobia is intense and well-portrayed, with enough discomfort to empathise with and enough presence of mind in asking for a dark mode that he can still be active in the scene. It worked. To be honest, the rest of the interaction with Shirlee was just as uncomfortable, and Red's inability to talk about himself at all generated such an internal empathetic cringe that it was a relief when he finally got out. Nicely done, there. Good use of sympathetic struggles and near-universal awkwardness to make us temporarily feel for this guy despite what he gets up to.

It's funny how Red manages to be both a hopeless loser and absolutely terrifying at the same time. Basic interactions with the world seems impossible for him, and yet he is undeniably a physical threat to others. Being around him and knowing who he really is would be incredibly unsettling. I feel like his absurd angsting this chapter really drives home how alien and uncomfortable the modern civilised world is for him. It almost makes perfect sense that he'd want the Helixian World, want to be a predator, want to be feral. I really liked his later pining for the life of a feral mon — dude just wants to be on unconscious autopilot. It's no wonder he serves a mad god! Yet, although he prides himself on being a tough predator, he flails to 'survive' the simplest social interactions. What a scary but pathetic dude.

And now we come to the moment you knew would hurt me. 'Made in Hoenn' my ass, you motherfucker. To tell the truth, my actual reaction was to have the evilest fucking grin when I got to the scene break and the 'coin convo'. I was so worried he'd hurt the meowth, and then just as I'd let my guard down because he was being gentle with it and musing about having a pet, it happened. It was so fucking well-executed, I'm furious. Well done.

Glad to be reading again. See you next chapter!

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom