• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

September CoroCoro reveals new Mega Evolutions: Three new Pokémon also revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never watched digimon, however when i first heard about these Mega Modes, this is the first thing that popped into my head:

prs-animation-214.gif

Also, i every time i tried to post yesterday, i kept getting errors that the forum was down or something.

The reaction to this news just re-affirms to me what I find so annoying about the Pokémon fandom.

We don't know what we want.

The inherent hypocrisy of almost every thread to do with new Pokémon announcements is really driving me nuts. People constantly post about which Pokémon they want new evolutions for, and then when new evolutions are announced, they complain about how "new Pokémon are better than rehashing the oldies!", and that they would've preferred all new Pokémon.

Pre-announcement: "We want new designs!"
Post-announcement: "These look too different!"

Pre-announcement: "We want something different in the gameplay!"
Post-announcement: "This doesn't feel the same!"

Pre-announcement: "There are too many Pokémon!"
Post-announcement: "They're aren't enough new Pokémon!"

... and it just goes on and on and on. The reaction to this news just shows how completely divided the fans are. They just can't please everyone. For years, people have been saying that Pokémon "feels like the same game over and over", and "never does anything to really shake it up." And yet, here is the apparent "biggest scoop ever", the introduction of "MEGA EVOLUTIONS", which apparently aren't new evolutions, and they aren't new Forms either, they're something completely different. Isn't this the "shake up" that we wanted?!

And yet all over Reddit and other Pokémon forums, people loath this news. "This is too similar to Digimon!", they cry.

In Gen 3, people said the same thing. In Gen 4, people said "they look like Neopets". HGSS's Pokéwalkers were "just like Tamigotchi!" In Gen 5, they said the Legendaries and fusion concept "was just like YuGiOh!", and now come Gen 6, "these are too similar to Digimon".

We simultaneously want something brand new... but the same.
Something to shake things up... but can't possibly bare any sort of resemblance to any other franchise, otherwise it doesn't "feel like Pokémon".
We want a new game... on an outdated console.
We want new Pokémon... but we don't.
We want change... but we don't.

If I worked on the Board of Directors at GameFreak, I'd be scrolling through the forums right now, tearing my hair out, wondering "WTF DO THESE PEOPLE WANT FROM US?!"

I for one, am completely 100% behind this new game mechanic, the new Mega Evolutions look amazing and I'm gonna love trying to get them all and use them in battle. :)

If I was an employee at GameFreak, I wouldn't tear my hair out. I'd instead hunt down all these people, kidnap them, lock them in a room, and tell them to accomplish better. I would then laugh like a maniac while watching them all fail. I would watch over them, taunting them, telling them how bad they're doing until they finally crack.

I sure as hell don't evny gamefreak right about now but to be honest, this is prolly a western only thing.
Anyone who knows about digimon knows that their final form would be called Ultimate, not mega and their third form would be called Perfect.
The digievolution is like this : Baby > Child > Adult > Perfect > Ultimate
I believe the term mega was chosen to avoid the digimon comparison but it falls on deaf hears in the West.

As far as I remember it was

Baby -> In Training -> Rookie -> Champion -> Ultimate, then later on you could go to Mega is you had the special light arrow from Angewoman.

Here they just replaced light arrow with Mega Stone

The reaction to this news just re-affirms to me what I find so annoying about the Pokémon fandom.

The inherent hypocrisy of almost every thread to do with new Pokémon announcements is really driving me nuts. People constantly post about which Pokémon they want new evolutions for, and then when new evolutions are announced, they complain about how "new Pokémon are better than rehashing the oldies!", and that they would've preferred all new Pokémon.

Pre-announcement: "We want new designs!"
Post-announcement: "These look too different!"

Pre-announcement: "We want something different in the gameplay!"
Post-announcement: "This doesn't feel the same!"

Pre-announcement: "There are too many Pokémon!"
Post-announcement: "They're aren't enough new Pokémon!"

... and it just goes on and on and on. The reaction to this news just shows how completely divided the fans are. They just can't please everyone. For years, people have been saying that Pokémon "feels like the same game over and over", and "never does anything to really shake it up." And yet, here is the apparent "biggest scoop ever", the introduction of "MEGA EVOLUTIONS", which apparently aren't new evolutions, and they aren't new Forms either, they're something completely different. Isn't this the "shake up" that we wanted?!

And yet all over Reddit and other Pokémon forums, people loath this news. "This is too similar to Digimon!", they cry.

In Gen 3, people said the same thing. In Gen 4, people said "they look like Neopets". HGSS's Pokéwalkers were "just like Tamigotchi!" In Gen 5, they said the Legendaries and fusion concept "was just like YuGiOh!", and now come Gen 6, "these are too similar to Digimon".

We simultaneously want something brand new... but the same.
Something to shake things up... but can't possibly bare any sort of resemblance to any other franchise, otherwise it doesn't "feel like Pokémon".
We want a new game... on an outdated console.
We want new Pokémon... but we don't.
We want change... but we don't.

If I worked on the Board of Directors at GameFreak, I'd be scrolling through the forums right now, tearing my hair out, wondering "WTF DO THESE PEOPLE WANT FROM US?!"

I for one, am completely 100% behind this new game mechanic, the new Mega Evolutions look amazing and I'm gonna love trying to get them all and use them in battle. :)

If I was an employee at GameFreak, I wouldn't tear my hair out. I'd instead hunt down all these people, kidnap them, lock them in a room, and tell them to accomplish better. I would then laugh like a maniac while watching them all fail. I would watch over them, taunting them, telling them how bad they're doing until they finally crack.

I sure as hell don't evny gamefreak right about now but to be honest, this is prolly a western only thing.
Anyone who knows about digimon knows that their final form would be called Ultimate, not mega and their third form would be called Perfect.
The digievolution is like this : Baby > Child > Adult > Perfect > Ultimate
I believe the term mega was chosen to avoid the digimon comparison but it falls on deaf hears in the West.

As far as I remember it was

Baby -> In Training -> Rookie -> Champion -> Ultimate, then later on you could go to Mega is you had the special light arrow from Angewoman.

Here they just replaced light arrow with Mega Stone

You are thinking of Ultra, there is no such thing as mega in digimon, that's only in the English dub.

I'm with you.

Honestly, I love this idea: a Pokemon gains a more powerful form but it doesn't have to be permanent. They gain it when it counts--in battle. But the sheer amount of hate that this is getting is breaking my brain. To me, it's great. To a lot of others, it's terrible. Yeah, I don't get it. Besides if you hate the form, you really don't have to use it.

Now, who else can get this as a new form? Inquiring minds and all... (Yeah, I think there may be a few more of these guys running around that we haven't seen yet. At least, I hope.)
Also Dedenne looks like Hamtaro fused with Raichu lol.
Aaaand I think I just found my name for the little twerp.

Well, Digimon's final evolution stage is indeed called "Mega" in the dubs. So the Mega Pokemons are somehow equivalent to the Mega(Ultimate) Digimon by evolution stage, I supposed...

Personally I don't go against the idea of Pokemon gaining another evolution stage. Oppositely, I rather fully support such idea. I just feel Pokemon being able to evolve only twice in its whole life is just too little. But just one thing, I don't like the Mega Pokemon to be named simply as "Mega **insert Pokemon name here**". Can't GF named the Mega Pokemon as like a new species? That will sounds more elegant than just Mega **insert Pokemon name here**.

And also, Mega Evolution is related to an item called Mega Stone? So I guess every single Pokemon that is currently at their final evolution stage have the potential to Mega evolve, because this evolution is induced by item. I just can't waited to see more of the new Mega Pokemon. They just look awesome!

And just a very personal comment. A new idea of Pokemon X Digimon crossover fanfic now pop up immediately in my head!!

Last edited:
Well, Digimon's final evolution stage is indeed called "Mega" in the dubs. So the Mega Pokemons are somehow equivalent to the Mega(Ultimate) Digimon by evolution stage, I supposed...

Personally I don't go against the idea of Pokemon gaining another evolution stage. Oppositely, I rather fully support such idea. I just feel Pokemon being able to evolve only twice in its whole life is just too little. But just one thing, I don't like the Mega Pokemon to be named simply as "Mega **insert Pokemon name here**". Can't GF named the Mega Pokemon as like a new species? That will sounds more elegant than just Mega **insert Pokemon name here**.

And also, Mega Evolution is related to an item called Mega Stone? So I guess every single Pokemon that is currently at their final evolution stage have the potential to Mega evolve, because this evolution is induced by item. I just can't waited to see more of the new Mega Pokemon. They just look awesome!

And just a very personal comment. A new idea of Pokemon X Digimon crossover fanfic now pop up immediately in my head!!

I doubt GameFreak are going to give them new names, as that would imply they are a new species, when they're not. They are simply more powered up versions of them normal selves. I'm expecting the names not to change at all. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't include the word mega in their names once they megavolve.

I think this perfectly describes the fandom right now with Mega evolutions. It happens everytime a new thing concept is announced.

1000936_499989763411318_370421602_n.jpg

I think this perfectly describes the fandom right now with Mega evolutions. It happens everytime a new thing concept is announced.

OMG, I ACTUALLY MADE THAT PICTURE, WHERE'D YOU FIND IT?

Last edited:

OMG, I ACTUALLY MADE THAT PICTURE, WHERE'D YOU FIND IT?
One of the pages I like on Facebook posted it. Guess it's getting notice. That's weird you made it haha. It's very true.

Darn it, was hoping the news would be about the anime " walks off angry" I wonder if will be seeing this in the series too? Alright, Pikachu can evolve into his champion form now :p

Hmm, the Mega Evolution may have something to do with the whole genetics theme in X & Y. Maybe the new formes are actually some kind of primordial forms for the Pokémon they once had before their current ones, which the items can temporarily unlock. As for Mewtwo, remember it is a clone of Mew, so it obviously have a new forme?

It's a very similar concept, and as 1quacka1 said if it's reversible it's even more like Digivolution.
In the original Digimon World game, it wasn't reversible, but that depends on the games.
your the first person the added a comment that i felt like even read the article and thought about it before putting something in the chat. i agree it would seem that the mega evolution will have something to do with the dna symbol as seen on the Japanese x and y tittle. and i asume that all the evelutions (or at least slyveon) will get mega evolutions

it''s like Jwittz said "pokemon know we want something different but they know if they change it too much we'll be mad" so guys calm down it won't change too much. and i agee bittersweet i also am going to love the new mega concept and am going to defiantly use the mega pokemon in my team whenever posible. also the reason why the mega pokemon reminds you of digimon is because digimon was popular because they rode on the pokemon wave so they made it similar too pokemon. don't get me wrong though i love digimon and have read all the manga.

The truth is that I don't really care about Mega Evolutions. Why? Because the new pokemons of the Generation VI are more important. Oh, and what about the starters evolutions? Am I the only one who cares about that? -.- I don't need another Lucario (had one in W2) or an Ampharos (had one in HG) or an Absol (in Emeraaald) so no Mega Evolutions for me. MegaMewtwo is fine ... but I need new pokemon, that's why we have a new generation, a new region. And don't forget that is completely unfair for only one starter to have a Mega Evolution. But it's unlikely that every starter will get one. September CoroCoro will be even more dissappointing for me -.-.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom