• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sequel or remake?

Sequel or remake?

• Sequel

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Remake

Votes: 40 50.0%
  • Combination

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, they never said ME was recently discovered~

And Fairy will just be handwaved like Dark/Steel.

If the timeline is true then Mega Stones can’t exist in the RS remakes, that’s a massive plot hole otherwise and iirc Fairy-type was a recent discovery in XY. Unless these take place in the future which would likely call for a change in PC protagonist, but I imagine they’ll retain Teams Magma/Aqua and keep the gym leaders ages relevant to the original.(Liza and Tate still probably being diminutive twin gym leaders.) A huge plot hole for a set of likely clean remakes.

FRLG had steel and dark types though they weren't present in R/B/G/Y. Also, Mega Stones are part of Kalos's HISTORY, as others have said here, meaning they CAN exist in R/S.
Fairy-type was first discovered in Kalos though as well as Mega Evolution iirc. Steel and Dark were, apparently, already present in RBGY. The XY games even went out of their way to display both as being recent and relatively unknown in Mega Evolution's case.

I never played GSC, so forgive me, but weren't there certain references to Dark/Steel being new types in Gen. II?

Yes, but in HGSS, this was retconned, so now according to the "official" timeline, Dark/Steel were never "new". They were known about since the earliest games on the timeline, as was breeding.

I specifically remember them changing Elm's talk with the PC about Mr. Pokemon from "An Egg??? Wow that's a real discovery!" to "It's just an Egg. Oh well, pick it up anyway."

Jasmine was also said to have only recently changed her gym type in GSC as well I believe.

Basically, Pokemon is no stranger to retcons and the Fairy-type and ME will be in the game.

I specifically remember them changing Elm's talk with the PC about Mr. Pokemon from "An Egg??? Wow that's a real discovery!" to "It's just an Egg. Oh well, pick it up anyway."

Jasmine was also said to have only recently changed her gym type in GSC as well I believe.

Basically, Pokemon is no stranger to retcons and the Fairy-type and ME will be in the game.

My guess is that the original events of Ruby and Sapphire will be retconned completely, and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire will follow pretty much the same story, but will take place a little further ahead in the timeline instead.

If the timeline is true then Mega Stones can’t exist in the RS remakes, that’s a massive plot hole otherwise and iirc Fairy-type was a recent discovery in XY. Unless these take place in the future which would likely call for a change in PC protagonist, but I imagine they’ll retain Teams Magma/Aqua and keep the gym leaders ages relevant to the original.(Liza and Tate still probably being diminutive twin gym leaders.) A huge plot hole for a set of likely clean remakes.

FRLG had steel and dark types though they weren't present in R/B/G/Y. Also, Mega Stones are part of Kalos's HISTORY, as others have said here, meaning they CAN exist in R/S.
Fairy-type was first discovered in Kalos though as well as Mega Evolution iirc. Steel and Dark were, apparently, already present in RBGY. The XY games even went out of their way to display both as being recent and relatively unknown in Mega Evolution's case.

I never played GSC, so forgive me, but weren't there certain references to Dark/Steel being new types in Gen. II?

Yes, but in HGSS, this was retconned, so now according to the "official" timeline, Dark/Steel were never "new". They were known about since the earliest games on the timeline, as was breeding.

I'm sure Fairy-type and Mega Evolution will get the same treatment, then.

So...um... why is this thread still open?
We know it's gonna be a remake.....

Not necessarily... they could just as easily say that Fairy-type and Mega Evolution are still relatively new, just have ORAS be contemporary with X/Y or set after them, and retcon the timeline so FRLG are no longer contemporary with RS (if they ever were to begin with).

Not necessarily... they could just as easily say that Fairy-type and Mega Evolution are still relatively new, just have ORAS be contemporary with X/Y or set after them, and retcon the timeline so FRLG are no longer contemporary with RS (if they ever were to begin with).

The story director JUST recently gave us the official timeline. (On the day of ORAS's announcement)
So it wouldn't make sense to change it now after he confirmed it.

The story director JUST recently gave us the official timeline. (On the day of ORAS's announcement)
So it wouldn't make sense to change it now after he confirmed it.

Oh.
Nevermind me then.

But come to think of it (sorry to discuss this ad nauseam), I'm not entirely sure this would result in a continuity error, technically. Mega Evolution has been around since at least before the Tower of Mastery was built, so that doesn't necessarily require explanation as that would mean that Mega Evolution is by no means a "recent" phenomenon; just that it's rare, and only a few trainers have used Mega Rings.

As for Fairy being a "recent" discovery...
well, what's "recent"? Maybe people in Hoenn were just ahead of the curve.

tv-addiction-emma-stone-meh.gif

Is there any actual in-universe canon that says that Fairy type is "recently discovered"?

I'm sure they'll be something on tvtropes.org about when gameplay practicality becomes more important than logic.

I would really find that to be lame, if that were to happen.

You forget that the Dark & Steel type are in RSE while RSE is contemporary with the first gen.
You forget that Red has a Mega-Charizard too.

You forget that the Dark & Steel type are in RSE while RSE is contemporary with the first gen.
You forget that Red has a Mega-Charizard too.

The Dark-and-Steel-being-new-types thing was rectified in HeartGold/SoulSilver; since GS have been retconned in favour of their remakes, no canon game makes mention of Dark and Steel being at all "new"...

In other words, anything from pre-Gen III is technically no longer canon.

Is there any actual in-universe canon that says that Fairy type is "recently discovered"?

I'm sure they'll be something on tvtropes.org about when gameplay practicality becomes more important than logic.

On Kalos Route 3, they specifically state that Flabebe is a "get this...FAIRY-Type Pokemon!", mention it to be a recent discovery, and then the female assistant cries out "IT TURNED THE WHOLE TYPE MATCHUP SYSTEM UPSIDE-DOWN!"
So yeah, I'm going to assume HG/SS-style retcons. We knew they'd have to retcon Fairy types and possibly megas eventually.

He just released the official timeline. I knew it for a while thanks to process of elimination, and including "side series" titles (only those that are based on connection to their gen) here is the full timeline:
Colosseum->FRLG->Emerald Pre National Dex-> Pokemon Box R/S->Emerald Post game-> HGSS+Pokewalker-> Platinum Pre National Dex-> Battle Revolution/MPR Platinum Update-> Platinum Post game-> Black/White-> B/W 2+Dream Radar-> X/Y. Now I hope Nintendo is listening. HGSS and Platinum assume you know the events of Emerald. With that in mind, the events of Emerald must have happened before. The two prior remakes were to reestablish the now retconned Gen 1+2 (Retconed by Gen 3) and move gen 2 to after gen 3. A R/S remake would not only retcon Emerald, the assumed canonical version of events, but also anachronistically move it around the canon so that it happens after XY. The timeline, and by extension all pretense of continuity in. Gen 4+5 would be absolutely demolished. There would not be a right timeline. No continuity at all, free game. Anarchy. And no society can surive in anarchy. I HOPE, against all hope, that they are sequels. Plz don't ruin the timeline Nintendo.

I'm thinking remake, to stick to the trend they've been doing of remaking old games.

It's been confirmed as a "full remake". There will be some retcons, of course, but it'll probably stay close to the original game's plot line.

On Kalos Route 3, they specifically state that Flabebe is a "get this...FAIRY-Type Pokemon!", mention it to be a recent discovery, and then the female assistant cries out "IT TURNED THE WHOLE TYPE MATCHUP SYSTEM UPSIDE-DOWN!"

I'm guessing that sort of wouldn't matter to canon anyway... They also have NPC's explain how to open the start menu, and NPC's who are physically holding DS's and using them to trade, so maybe it could just be an NPC explaining a gameplay element, if anything. The Pokémon universe has an odd relationship with the real world 'cause what's canon and what isn't becomes kinda blurred...

Consider, if that dialogue you just mentioned makes it canon that Fairy type was really only discovered by Pokémon Professors just before the events of X & Y, then that also means that Nintendo exists in the Pokémon world, as does a disembodied "B button" that trainers can press to stop evolution and use shoes with, and the fact that music magically follows trainers around during their journey, which are all things directly acknowledged by NPC's at some point...

I mean, the idea of a whole TYPE just apparently not being "discovered" for so long doesn't even make sense to begin with from an in-universe perspective. Maybe it's just that thing where they have an NPC explain a new gameplay element, rather than any sort of supposed scientific event within the Pokémon universe?

It'll be a remake with some new content, obviously… It happened to all the remakes before it, and besides, the Mega Groudon and the Mega Kyogre on the box art pretty much confirms this…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom