• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sequel or remake?

Sequel or remake?

• Sequel

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Remake

Votes: 40 50.0%
  • Combination

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cassiem

HOENN CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
So, what do you think? Will these games be a direct sequel, or a remake, or some combination of the two?

Remakes, but with new elements worked into the old storyline, like mega evolution.

I believe that at this point, it is possible they can turn out to be either remakes or sequels, so for now I won't answer the poll. Hopefully we'll be given more information soon to help us further determine which they may be. Or better yet, tell us themselves what these games will become.

They're clearly enhanced remakes, like FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver. They will most likely contain new areas and maybe even story elements, but on the whole, the games will be a retelling of Ruby/Sapphire.

I think a sequel would be best. At this point the games are not about revisiting the past regions, and most of the people who will buy will have already played the original. With that in mind there's no reason to walk the same path and hear the same text with slight changes. Instead it would be a really unique opportunity to go back to Hoenn and see what has happened since we have been there last. It's been a long time since we've been there. I want to know in that time what has happened to the Frontier. What about the work on the spaceship? Stevens research? Etc. I don't want to play these games and be left with the same questions that I were so many years ago when I last played them.

I said "combination" simply because I think it's going to be midway between the two. Not a straight remake with just graphical and mechanical improvements with a few extras sprinkled here and there, and not a completely new adventure set in Hoenn with very little ties to the original design and progression. I think instead, we'll have a game that follows the same general structure as the originals, but makes some changes to the regional design (probably no changes to the original storyline path, but more optional areas and post game areas), add in Pokemon to the Hoenn Dex, change the storyline a bit (particularly the end of the game to work Rayquaza into the game's climax), add more Mega Evolutions, things of that nature. So it'll have significant changes that upgrade the region to more modern standards, but not in a way that makes the game feel too alien.

I think sequels because considering the timeline, sequels are more likely. It's clearly shown that Magma/Aqua had disbanded by B2W2, and Kalos seems to take place some time around that point, not to mention the new technology available in the game. While HGSS and GSC shared the same phone system, I doubt ORAS would keep the Match Call system as it is outdated and they'd probably change it to something similar to the Holo-caster. If so, then the advance in in-game technology would definitely indicate that at least a few years had gone by from the originals.

I'm saying remakes with new elements. I find it unlikely that they'd make it a sequel, since after the events of the plot, Aqua and Magma gave up their plans and disbanded leaving no evil team.

I don't find it a stretch to believe they might change the way the story is told, however. Like how HGSS were given the 4 Admins, perhaps ORAS will have something of that nature.

Part of me is thinking it will be a sequel, but the other half is leaning towards it being just a remake, with a few enhancements. In the end, the video was vague. We'll just have to wait until Nintendo is ready to talk.

"Pokémon fans first enjoyed Pokémon Ruby Version and Pokémon Sapphire Version when it launched in 2003 for the Game Boy Advance. Now, a whole new generation of Pokémon fans will experience the dramatic storyline that unfolds in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire." - Pokemon.com's website

It's a remake.

Probably remakes with a few changes and additions.

I'd say that they're remakes. There will most likely be some new elements to the storyline, such as maybe new areas, some new characters and most likely Mega Evolution, but they're still going to be remaking the storyline from R/S, rather than making sequels.

I'm going with remakes, though they're may be some new plot changes or new areas added to improve and buff what may need improvement.

"Pokémon fans first enjoyed Pokémon Ruby Version and Pokémon Sapphire Version when it launched in 2003 for the Game Boy Advance. Now, a whole new generation of Pokémon fans will experience the dramatic storyline that unfolds in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire." - Pokemon.com's website

It's a remake.

I'm not really sure you can draw anything conclusive from that 'cause it could be read two ways.
It could be saying "All fans can enjoy the dramatic storyline of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire" just as much as it could be saying "fans can now enjoy [the original story from Ruby and Sapphire] in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire".

Personally, I'm hoping that they will be sequels, or maybe just 'spiritual successors'. First because I don't necessarily want to just go over the same story from Ruby and Sapphire, but also because the fanboy side of me wants the timeline to remain as it is and be internally consistent with video game canon.

This confirms that they are remakes:
The announcement was made only yesterday, so we were unable to include them in the supplementary document for this financial briefing, but the latest installments from the Pokémon franchise, “Pokémon Omega Ruby” and “Pokémon Alpha Sapphire” will be released globally for Nintendo 3DS in November this year. They are full-remakes of the Game Boy Advance “Pokémon Ruby” and “Pokémon Sapphire” games, which sold more than 5.44 million units in Japan and more than 16.22 million units worldwide.

Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ended March 2014

I personally think they're remakes. Everyone keeps bringing up the 'timeline'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but GameFreak has NEVER acknowledged this timeline aside from GSC and B2W2. People need to remember the timeline was fan made. It really annoys me that people think the fan made timeline is 100% canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom