• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Serena as a traveling companion

Well, Serena is my absolute favorite female character, and I would love to see her pulling off a "Brock" and traveling with Ash to the Alola region. I love her mainly because I can relate a lot with her, due to sharing multiple traits, as well as the whole subplot about her backstory with Ash. In fact, I would be all for her staying if that means that I could get to know more about Ash's past (my favorite character).

I have seen many people saying that she can't go to Alola, with the reason being mainly because of the "status quo". However, I personally believe that she could very well travel to the next region, despite the odds being heavily against her. Regardless, there is something that people have discussed in particular, even in other forums: the idea of Serena having to train under Palermo's guidance. Many people believe that the old lady is essentially Serena's goodbye ticket, but there is another aspect of Serena that is barely mentioned: she went away both because she wanted to meet Ash and because she wanted to get away from her mother's rigid regimen. So, there is this aspect: would Serena be willing to train under someone's wing while knowing that she may not have as much freedom as now and where she could be "scolded" for a little mistake, in order to accomplish her dream and turn it into a job? Or would she rather keep having fun and pursue her goal by working at her own rhythm and gaining experience by herself, by either observing other more experienced Performers? Honestly, the first option goes a bit against her own character, but I could see that potentially happening.

But what if she chooses option two? Well, it could imply two things: either Serena goes to Johto some unknown place where she could train by herself, or Alola could still have Pokemon Showcases and either we get another Performer or Serena decides to go there. The last option is the least likely, but it is still possible (but I bet many people would hate that, even if I personally love Showcases).

However, all of this would be in case Serena wanted to pursue her goal. What if actually... she changes her mind? I mean, she could find some goal that she likes more than Pokemon Performer and could aim to that. And before anybody says "But abandoning her goal is bad writing!", or anything like that, then I will ask this: how many of you have actually changed your minds? How many of you first wanted to do something, but preferred to do something else, because you were more capable in that new activity or because you liked it more? Serena could very well pull off a similar thing, by finding her "true goal". This change of heart would be very realistic, in my opinion.

As such, I'm all for Serena traveling to the new region. However, I wouldn't want a potential Alolan female character not getting a chance. And this is why I would be all for a quartet featuring Ash, Serena, Alola Girl and Alola Boy. That would shake things up a bit, instead of having a clean slate yet again. Besides... Serena is oddly similar to the SuMo female protagonist (meaning that she could just change her clothing to resemble the female protagonist, just like Ash changes his clothes to resemble the male hero) and has only three Pokemon in her team, so she could very well fill it with three Alolan Pokemon, which could be useful for her goal (whichever it is). So, with all of this being said, I fully support Serena traveling to the next region.

P.S.: Regarding the whole AmourShipping thing, I think Ash and Serena could become a sort of unofficial couple. Not as boyfriend and girlfriend, mind you, but more as "very close friends". And before you mention the age, I don't think that should be a deterrent. Maybe it's because I have seen many shoujou animes featuring 10-years old girls falling in love and getting in a relationship with other titular characters, but I think two young people getting in a strong relationship isn't bad. As long as there isn't any... "shady area", a very close bond is welcome in my books. If all, the anime could develop a bit more and be more than only adventures in a world filled with Pokemon. Human relationships should get some focus as well, imo.

there is another aspect of Serena that is barely mentioned: she went away both because she wanted to meet Ash and because she wanted to get away from her mother's rigid regimen. So, there is this aspect: would Serena be willing to train under someone's wing while knowing that she may not have as much freedom as now and where she could be "scolded" for a little mistake, in order to accomplish her dream and turn it into a job?

I really like that point in particular, and I could see it being an issue with Serena.

P.S.: Regarding the whole AmourShipping thing, I think Ash and Serena could become a sort of unofficial couple. Not as boyfriend and girlfriend, mind you, but more as "very close friends". And before you mention the age, I don't think that should be a deterrent. Maybe it's because I have seen many shoujou animes featuring 10-years old girls falling in love and getting in a relationship with other titular characters, but I think two young people getting in a strong relationship isn't bad. As long as there isn't any... "shady area", a very close bond is welcome in my books. If all, the anime could develop a bit more and be more than only adventures in a world filled with Pokemon. Human relationships should get some focus as well, imo.
Ash is close with all his friends but not in the way that some think. Ash won't get any closer to Serena period. It is this kind of stuff that makes it hard to like her character. Her and Iris were basically ruined for me by both the writers and the shippers. Therefore, I want a new female companion to take her place after Kalos end. That is my opinion.

Ash is close with all his friends but not in the way that some think. Ash won't get any closer to Serena period. It is this kind of stuff that makes it hard to like her character. Her and Iris were basically ruined for me by both the writers and the shippers. Therefore, I want a new female companion to take her place after Kalos end. That is my opinion.

It's fine if you don't want her to go to Alola because you don't like her, just as it is fine for me to wish for her to go to Alola because I like her. There is nothing wrong with that.

Besides, a change of cast always comes with pros and cons. There is never a guarantee that a character will be "better" or "worse" than the current character. It may be more likeable to you while being completely hated by someone else, or vice versa. That's how things are, after all.

Human relationships should get some focus as well, imo.
I just want to point out that human relationships do get focus, it's just often not in the way that fans (read: shippers) would like. In this series alone, looking just at the main characters, I would say there has been significant focus on Satoshi/Serena, Satoshi/Citron, Citron/Eureka, Serena/Eureka and Musashi/Kojiro. In fact, Satoshi's human-human relationships have had a lot of investment over the years. Some of these are as important as his relationship with Pikachu, albeit in different ways. None have had any romantic overtones, probably because he is a 10yo boy and really too young for all that rubbish just yet.

I do like this idea, and it's always been what I've had in mind for amourshipping. After more time has past it can develops more romantic feels. Some couples that started as innocent friendships and resulted in cute romances: Ron and Hermione, Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable (huh...never noticed the parallel there), and my sister wants me to add the Korean drama 7000 days. The best relationships start from really deep friendships imo

I do like this idea, and it's always been what I've had in mind for amourshipping. After more time has past it can develops more romantic feels. Some couples that started as innocent friendships and resulted in cute romances: Ron and Hermione, Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable (huh...never noticed the parallel there), and my sister wants me to add the Korean drama 7000 days. The best relationships start from really deep friendships imo
Difference is Ron Weasley, Hermione, Kim and Ron Stoppable were in high school and not 10 years old

No, Ron and Kim first met in preschool and Ron and Hermione met when they were eleven. I'm not talking about when the romance started, I mean when they became friends.
Well yeah. But Pokémon isn't that type of show unlike the other two

Well yeah. But Pokémon isn't that type of show unlike the other two

Haha I'm not saying they have to get romantic in the show. I'm agreeing with the idea of Serena traveling with Ash and deepening their friendship without going cheesy-romantic, unless in some glorious future they age Ash enough that such a thing would be appropriate. I definitely agree that level of romance would be entirely out of place in The show as it stands.

Haha I'm not saying they have to get romantic in the show. I'm agreeing with the idea of Serena traveling with Ash and deepening their friendship without going cheesy-romantic, unless in some glorious future they age Ash enough that such a thing would be appropriate. I definitely agree that level of romance would be entirely out of place in The show as it stands.
I wish there was another year of XY though, for various reasons.

Would be awesome if they did a timeskip

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom