• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Serena: Rival or travel companion?

What do you guys think?

• Travel companion

Votes: 56 90.3%
  • Rival

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

Ashfangirl22

I love Ash.
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Been seeing a lot of debates over this, we've gotten nothing about her yet other than what shey'll look like in the anime now. Are they trying to surprise us cuz of a new goal? I can't remember If they did that with May. I think she's going to be traveling with him, unlike the girls in the past appear a couple of episodes later, try some thing new I guess??? Remember with Dawn, she didn't meet Ash till episode three of the D / P series, it's possible.

Any ideas?

I'm leading more towards Serena being a travel companion. I definitely would prefer her being in the main cast, so that's a factor, but the cast consisting of only Ash, Clemont and Bonnie would feel a bit small in a sense. I doubt that Clemont would have a goal that they'd be focusing on a lot, especially given how they've handled the goals for the other secondary male characters, and there's a good chance that Bonnie won't even have her own Pokemon, so Serena's goal, regardless of what it is, could offer something more than what the trio would have. While the idea of Ash facing a good female rival throughout the series as his main rival sounds interesting, I'm not sure if they'd go that route. I'd much rather see her in the main cast. She might just appear beyond the first two episodes or they're saving showcasing her in a promo for the anime until they're ready to announce her goal.

I'm going to be that guy who says companion both. In the sense that she and Ash are rivals (Competing for Badges), yet travelling together. It would make both characters more competitive for training/battling, and then the inevitable lead up to the Kalos League where they would end up meeting in the finals... A group where Ash always has a motive to win (If Serena wins a Gym BAttle, he has to right after her and vice-versa) and train his Pokemon even more so...

Travel companion for all the above reasons. I mean, after all, if she was put on the initial poster, and her anime official artwork was shown on Smash, then she HAS to play some important role in the anime. Seems a bit redundant otherwise.

Travel companion for all the above reasons. I mean, after all, if she was put on the initial poster, and her anime official artwork was shown on Smash, then she HAS to play some important role in the anime. Seems a bit redundant otherwise.
She can be important as a rival rather than a main character. Paul replaced Brock in one of the DP posters.

That said, it is clear that anime Serena is younger than her game counterpart. I don't think that they would bother de-aging her (or giving her the player character's hat) if she were a rival.

She is a traveling companion.

Though I wish she were a rival.

She can be important as a rival rather than a main character. Paul replaced Brock in one of the DP posters.

That said, it is clear that anime Serena is younger than her game counterpart. I don't think that they would bother de-aging her (or giving her the player character's hat) if she were a rival.

Somehow, I knew someone would say that after I posted. I wasn't dismissing that a rival wouldn't be important to the plot. Like you said, Paul is probably the best example. But the fact remains that she got a more prominent (and more publicized) official artwork, seems to have been de-aged (as you pointed out), and had her face plastered on the poster right next to both Clemont and Bonnie seems to resonate more with "travel companion" than "rival". While, yes, Paul had the same treatment when DP came out, it still seems to be more likely that she'll be a companion than rival (she could even be both, which would spice things up a bit IMO). So I wasn't downsizing that possibility, it just seemed more likely that she would be a travel companion vs. main rival.

Disregarding my own bias towards her being on the cast instead of a rival, I sincerely think she is a traveling companion. I dont think Ash + Clemont and Bonnie would feel complete. Ash + Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie :thumbup:

She'll be a traveling companion. I would have liked her to be a rival. I suppose, as some have stated, that it isn't impossible for her to be both. That's something I'd really like to see.

I just want to see some skill in a female companion for once.

The idea of Serena being both a rival and traveling companion sounds interesting, but I really couldn't see them going that route. That would mean that each Gym battle would have to last at least twice as long, or longer if one of them loses, and that would just get redundant after awhile. Not to mention the pacing would really hurt with a decision like that. It might sound like a nice idea in theory, but I don't think that they would be able to pull it off.

She's most likely a travel companion. Having the group made up of just Clemont and Bonnie wouldn't be right since it would just be two guys and a girl who might not even have her own Pokémon. Plus having two female companions at the same time hasn't been done before (for an extended period of time).

Did Shokotan really say Serena met Ash before? :S

Some people are reporting she said that.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that she is anything but Ash's new companion. I wouldn't be opposed to Serena being a rival, though, but only if Shauna or Alexa were to be Ash's true companion in Kalos. Since I doubt that is happening, then let Serena be the companion, because a group of only Ash, Clemont and Bonnie sounds like a very boring group imo.

Apparently, Serena is said to have met Ash before.

Now I'm wondering where.

That's vague. She can have watched live some league that Ash took part. Or meet him a little after his arrive on Kalos. Maybe they just bump into each other. Who knows? I still think she's the one using froakie to fight Ash's pikachu.

Honestly does it really matter? Rival or Companion let's just enjoy that Serena made it into the series.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom