• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Serena's goal : What do you think it is?

Ashfangirl22

I love Ash.
Reaction score
Could they be hiding it? I'd like to think some thing like contests, what do you guys think?

Considering she's barely promoted and she doesn't appear to specialize in any type of Pokemon, she might well end up not having a goal at all.

You know, they've never done a fairly obvious goal for the anime: Pokemon Capture. It's so blatantly simple but nobody's ever actually set out to complete the PokeDex. And it is certainly part of the main quest of the game, different from Gym battles.

I simply hope she's a trainer who does gyms and battles a lot. I hope she's battle-oriented.

I simply hope she's a trainer who does gyms and battles a lot. I hope she's battle-oriented.

Knowing that you're a dedicated Pokemon anime fan, I'm surprised you're even speculating this. There's no way the writers would have anyone on the main cast with a gym quest, apart from Ash.

Knowing that you're a dedicated Pokemon anime fan, I'm surprised you're even speculating this. There's no way the writers would have anyone on the main cast with a gym quest, apart from Ash.
It would be nice for a change. Previously, no girls before Dawn and Iris ever battle a gym leader, it was unthinkable back then. But now, I'd think there's at least a small possibility. If anything, I just hope she battles a lot and has a strong team.

Considering she's barely promoted and she doesn't appear to specialize in any type of Pokemon, she might well end up not having a goal at all.

It's possible, although, to be fair, she was just revealed in the last release of CoroCoro. There hasn't been enough time to promote her a lot.

As for the idea of her being into Gym battles, it sounds nice, but it would be redundant and it would hurt the pacing significantly if each Gym battle lasted at least twice as long. I'm not sure what goal she'll have, but I'm hoping for something that makes her at least fairly active and that can help give her development.

I'd rather Serena have no goals at all. She could just simply want to travel and catch Pokémon, because why not? In the end, the characters' goal mean nothing, since they never achieve them. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the idea of her doing gym battles like Ash. It would be nice to see a rookie trainer slowly become bad ass through the XY anime.

Wow. So now the fandom is by and large indifferent to whether the characters are developed or not.

It seems that after BW, everybody's expectations are lowered great deal, who would've thought.

Wow. So now the fandom is by and large indifferent to whether the characters are developed or not.

Not caring about a character having a goal or not is very different from not wanting a character to be developed. Having a set goal means absolutely nothing in the Pokémon anime. Serena could be the most developed character in the show and yet not have a goal like May, Dawn and Iris had.

Im not sure what she will do really. But im hoping its actually something that has some substance like contests did. 'Becoming the greatest X trainer" is great and all but how often has it been said and then nothing ever happened with it?(Misty for ages , Iris). I would like Serena to do something that contributes to the story , gives us greater depth to the story (again like contests did by having large portions of the story dedicated to it) and reduces the amount of filler episodes. I would enjoy having contests back but i wouldn't be that disappointed nor surprised not to see them again at this point. I just hope for the sake of my sanity and all that is good in this world that it doesnt turn out to be dance related *cough* Tierno *cough*

If she was Ash rival i could have seen her entering gyms and collecting badges developing competent backed with admiration rivalry with main protagonist. However she is more likely to be travel companion so i kinda doubt writers would ever go for two companions from group challenging gyms. Such thing has liability to quickly become redundant and boring, especially if they challenge same set of gym leaders in a row.

Not to say how in theory it wouldn't be viable but i doubt writers have enough knowledge and skill to pull of such thing in diverse, fun manner keeping up with pace of things.

Based on games there isn't that many things to choose from aside from super training and perhaps quest focused on exploring mega evolution snd secrets behind it. But that story seems more suitable for Korrina which has more connections with it.

Not sure how much writers would be willing to do so, but there always exists possibility of cereating something original for Serena anime exclusive dream creating chain of events through which character growth could be measured. Through which she could grow, learn and go forward evolving in capable, tough trainer. Maybe explorer which is trying to learn more about mysteries and new legendary pokemon or pokemon collector?

Of course since it wouldn't come from games it wouldn't warrant such amount of focus and fleshing out like contests maybe did, but it could still be developed and structured to adequate degree providing character with viable growth.

It would be nice for a change. Previously, no girls before Dawn and Iris ever battle a gym leader, it was unthinkable back then. But now, I'd think there's at least a small possibility. If anything, I just hope she battles a lot and has a strong team.

If it counts Misty battled gym leader too,Dorian(unofficial one but still).

I'd rather Serena have no goals at all. She could just simply want to travel and catch Pokémon, because why not? In the end, the characters' goal mean nothing, since they never achieve them. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to the idea of her doing gym battles like Ash. It would be nice to see a rookie trainer slowly become bad ass through the XY anime.

Tracey achieved his goal though and Dawn came close to it.

The website days she likes fashion, maybe her goal is connected with fashion

You must be kidding yourself, miss. Nothing is more helpful for a character to grow than a concrete, tangible goal. This is what made a difference for May and Dawn and hampered Misty's and Iris's development.

So far nothing points to Serena receiving May or Dawn's treatment.

I think that she would be better off not appearing in every episode (collecting badges off-screen) than being relegated to a sidekick role. Super Training could be turned into a tangible goal, but sadly that seems unlikely considering the lackluster promotion.

I am not sure why anyone is crossing fingers for Contests at this point.

I think that she would be better off not appearing in every episode (collecting badges off-screen) than being relegated to a sidekick role.

This is what makes me wonder. After the "Iris experiment" the writers are back to using the female playable character, yet at this point it seems unlikely that she will play a primary role in the series (by "primary" I mean being the co-star or close to it).

Something's not adding up.

Question: How can anyone be "kickbutt" and have no direction? Think about it: how can you be good at something without focusing on it first? And no, regardless of the matter that BW seems to think character development can happen offscreen and that skills can be acquired with no effort, it is still horrible writing. I will not accept that as an answer. I can understand your sentiment, but it seems you have already condemned the show since you don't think anyone is going to get anywhere. (a reasonable thought, but I fail to see the point in continuing if that is how you feel)

If they make Serena a coordinator, I will be pulling my hair out, because that was what annoyed me with Dawn was that she was essentially a clone of May, and I fear Serena would be the same as Dawn.

Many people say she might become a Pokemon stylist, advertising the customization features of X/Y, but for Pokemon themselves since no occupations directed towards human beings like in real life seem to exist in the anime world and every single aspect of life is Pokemon-oriented in some way.

I think that she would be better off not appearing in every episode (collecting badges off-screen) than being relegated to a sidekick role.

This is what makes me wonder. After the "Iris experiment" the writers are back to using the female playable character, yet at this point it seems unlikely that she will play a primary role in the series (by "primary" I mean being the co-star or close to it).

Something's not adding up.

Agreed, and this is something about the X/Y anime I like so far is that they are giving Ash the primary focus again rather than giving it to his female companion like May and Dawn were, which often got too much spotlight at the times and pushed Ash to the side, especially in Hoenn where May got most of the focus.

Last edited:

I hope she battles much too but seeing every Gym Leader battle two times could end up a bit boring. But battling, sure I hope so too. Or maybe she wants to enter beauty contests with her pokemons???

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom