• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Server Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Long story short....we're going to have to change servers again, sometime very soon. We don't know exactly when, and we don't even know exactly which hosting company we're going to have to use yet, but it'll have to be very soon, possibily even within the week.

Sadly, what's happened is that we seem to be imposing too heavy a load on the server we're currently sharing with a number of other sites. With 2 vB's (Bulbagarden's and UPN's), 5 Mediawiki's (the 3 Bulbagarden ones, UPN's and the Japanese Pokémon Wiki), an Oekaki and a Coppermine gallery, somehow that's not exactly surprising. We've done everything we can to reduce the load we cause, but we've gone over the line now, and we don't have any more options.

With the D/P rush that we can probably expect over the next year while people eagerly await the English release, I suppose this would've been something we'd have had to do soon anyway, so in that sense, it's nice to get it over and done with now. On the other hand, we would've of course liked a lot more time to prepare for this.

Some of you may have already noticed that the 'pedia and other BMG wiki's have been put into read-only already. We probably won't be able to reopen those until after the move, just to make sure that we won't lose any content. The forums, I'll try to keep up and open as long as possible, but they'll probably have to be closed at least a day before we actually make the move, due to the size of the forum database, and the time it takes to compress it to something manageable.

Myself, Mozz, Zhen and evkl will continue to give you updates on this situation as we're able. In the meanwhile....if anyone knows any inexpensive managed dedicated server hosting solutions (shared hosting just won't cut it anymore), we're all ears.

I the event that we go down suddenly, I can be contacted at the following
email: archaic DOT mukashi AT gmail DOT com
MSN: archaiceternal AT hotmail DOT com
AIM: ArchaicEternal
IRC: Archaic on [HASHTAG]#bulbagarden[/HASHTAG] @ irc.dejatoons.net

Too bad the change probably can't wait until next week because then I'll be in New Hampshire for 3 weeks and not worry about not getting on here.

Archaic said:
You mean the Elixant one will be good with BMG off it, or the BMG one will be good off the Elixant one? Or both? ^^;

Probably both but I'm on another server to you guys anyway so :p.

Archaic said:
You mean the Elixant one will be good with BMG off it, or the BMG one will be good off the Elixant one? Or both? ^^;
A little of both...

*whistles*

Whoa, I come back to visit the forum, and I see this. o_o! Uh, good luck finding 'inexpensive' dedicated server hosting. <.<;;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom