• If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

EVERYONE: Shadows Over Hoenn (A Choose Your Own Adventure Story)

Standing Out
Joined
Dec 9, 2015
Messages
9,887
Reaction score
5,880
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
  • Thread starter
  • Staff
  • #1
Rating is currently Everyone, but there is a decent likelihood of updating to Teen as the story progresses

Howdy everyone, it’s time for something a little different from the usual fare here in the Writers’ Workshop. This thread’s kinda something in the middle between a normal story thread and an RP. The basic plan is that the main protagonist of this story is almost entirely under the control of the story’s readership, who can submit actions to alter the path said character takes through the story. Here’s how it’s gonna work:
  • After each story update post, people can submit actions for the player character to take in the scenario. Multiple submissions are accepted and encouraged, and will be resolved as follows:
    • Assuming actions are not mutually exclusive (e.g. "Search the room", "Read the book"), all submitted actions will be resolved at once to save time.
    • If the actions are mutually exclusive (e.g. "Ask the person about their day", "Punch them in the face") or you're pressed for time and can only do a limited number of things, then only the most popular (judged by the number of reactions the post gets) will be chosen. In the case of such situations, I will also mention in-thread when I’ve started writing the update, so people know when the result cannot be changed.
  • Updates will likely be reasonably short, since I’m hoping for a decent amount of audience interaction.
  • I will not promise any consistent timing on the updates, but they will always be at least a day or two apart to give people time to submit actions.
  • Story update posts will be threadmarked for easy reading.
Story begins in the next post
 
Part 1
Standing Out
Joined
Dec 9, 2015
Messages
9,887
Reaction score
5,880
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
  • Thread starter
  • Staff
  • #2
You groan as you gradually slip back into consciousness. You seem to be lying in some kind of bed, but it doesn’t feel like yours. You sit up in the bed only to clutch your head in pain, noticing your splitting headache. Waiting a few moments for the pain to subside into a dull ache rather than splitting pain, you squint in the darkness, attempting to make out your surroundings. You can see a lighter rectangle that’s probably a doorway nearby, a bunch of darker rectangles that could be more beds lined up around the room, and windows lined up along the wall that you can see the stars through. Yeah, this isn’t right. You tried thinking back to how you wound up here, but you don’t seem to be able to remember anything more recent than about a day ago. Deciding that you should probably start yourself towards figuring out what’s going on here, you ease yourself out of the bed.

So, what’s first?
 
Record-Breaking Black Assassin
Joined
Sep 5, 2012
Messages
14,792
Reaction score
13,624
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
Draw a pentagram into the floor and pray to the deity of destruction that the world will be obliterated.
 
Part 2
Standing Out
Joined
Dec 9, 2015
Messages
9,887
Reaction score
5,880
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
  • Thread starter
  • Staff
  • #5
Look for a lightswitch.
You figure that the best way of figuring out anything about your current situation would be to get some light into the room. You fumble your way through the grid of dark rectangles, keeping your hands on the metal bars at each end for guidance. Upon reaching the side wall, you notice that it seems to be made of metal of some kind as you move towards the door. Lightswitches tend to be next to the door, so you figure that's your best bet. As you approach the door, your foot catches on something, tripping you up. You grab onto the door frame to stop yourself from collapsing, your hand catching on the lightswitch as you did so, illuminating the room. Regaining your balance, you look down at the object that tripped you up, and see a very familiar backpack sitting by the door. It's yours. Kneeling down next to it, you open it up and take a look inside. Not much, just your badge case and your two Pokeballs, a Great and a Dusk Ball. You open up the balls and feel your heart sink. These were supposed to contain your Lairon and Corphish, but were instead empty. Beside the obvious concern welling up as you wondered what had happened to your Pokemon, you really didn't want to be in this strange place without a Pokemon by your side.
Draw a pentagram into the floor and pray to the deity of destruction that the world will be obliterated.
You come up with an interesting idea that could help your situation, but you can't act on it without something you could use to draw with. Taking your first proper look around the room since turning the light on, you confirm that, yes, the rectangles were in fact beds, arranged in a grid throughout most of the room. You also notice that the metal wall you felt earlier was a row of lockers, and of course the door to the hallway behind you.

You now have your backpack, with which you can store objects you find around the place for later use, should you feel the need to do so. You can check the contents of your backpack at any time, the response to which will not advance the story, so you can have time to think about how you can use the contents.
The pentagram idea has been filed away for later, and you will act on it as soon as you find something you can draw with.
What action is next for our intrepid protagonist?
 
Last edited:
All cards on the field are destroyed!
Joined
Jan 3, 2020
Messages
5,747
Reaction score
923
Leave the room in search of Lairon and Corphish
 
Record-Breaking Black Assassin
Joined
Sep 5, 2012
Messages
14,792
Reaction score
13,624
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
Perhaps attempt to make a makeshift crowbar by ripping out some metal bar within your surroundings. Any sort of weapon should come in handy; either as a last resort or to conk a guard/enemy unconscious while they don't notice you.
 
Part 3
Standing Out
Joined
Dec 9, 2015
Messages
9,887
Reaction score
5,880
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
  • Thread starter
  • Staff
  • #8
Perhaps attempt to make a makeshift crowbar by ripping out some metal bar within your surroundings. Any sort of weapon should come in handy; either as a last resort or to conk a guard/enemy unconscious while they don't notice you.
You come up with the idea to try and fashion a weapon out of your surroundings. After all, anything is better than nothing, especially given that you you don't have any Pokemon with you right now. Your first thought is trying to get a piece of metal bar. You take a look around and see what kind of metal you can see. You definitely won't be able to tear out the metal in the windowframes without hurting yourself. Your other options are the bed frames and the lockers. You figure the locker door is probably going to be easier to tear off than any part of the bed frame. Heading over to the lockers, you try the doors as you go to see if any are already unlocked. Luckily, you find an unlocked door halfway down the row. Taking position with both hands clenched around the door, you prepare to try and wrench it from its hinges. Before you can give your tug though, something within the locker catches your eye. There's some clothes and such in the locker, of course, but there's also a cricket bat, ball, and some wickets. Seems like whoever uses this locker enjoys playing. Releasing the door, you reach in and grab the cricket bat, giving a few practice swings. It's not metal, but it swings good, and you're not really sure you're strong enough to tear any kind of metal from its housings anyway.
Leave the room in search of Lairon and Corphish
Satisfied, you exit the room into the rather barren hallway. Rather than explaining the paths open to you, I'm just going to show them:
1605242732849.png

You now have a cricket bat as a weapon
Would you like to take anything else from the locker before truly leaving the room? Contents:

  • A few sets of black clothes
  • A black hat
  • A cricket ball
  • Cricket wickets
Choose your next destination amongst yourselves:
  • Door 1
  • Door 2
  • Door 3
  • The corner by door 3
 
Record-Breaking Black Assassin
Joined
Sep 5, 2012
Messages
14,792
Reaction score
13,624
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
Well, the wickets aren't gonna do much, but the ball may act as a diversion, so it won't hurt to add that to the repertoire.
The clothes may be a uniform; so that could also be of use in the event that people affiliated with whatever this place is won't bat an eye, etc. Let's take that, too.

I'll take the corner.
 
Part 4
Standing Out
Joined
Dec 9, 2015
Messages
9,887
Reaction score
5,880
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
Well, the wickets aren't gonna do much, but the ball may act as a diversion, so it won't hurt to add that to the repertoire.
The clothes may be a uniform; so that could also be of use in the event that people affiliated with whatever this place is won't bat an eye, etc. Let's take that, too.
After thinking for a moment, you grab a set of the clothes from the locker, luckily looking to be about your size, as well as the cricket ball and stuff them all into your backpack. Zipping it up and placing it onto your back, you pick up the cricket bat and head out into the hallway.

I'll take the corner.
Examining your options, you decide to stick to the hallway and head towards the corner you can see a short distance away. You round the corner and see, somewhat unsurprisingly, more hallway. It stretches about as far as the last one did, with one door about halfway down on the left, a few windows down the right side, and a door at the end that seemed to lead outside the building.

1605591097825.png

You now have a cricket ball and a set of clothes
What's next?
 
Last edited:
All cards on the field are destroyed!
Joined
Jan 3, 2020
Messages
5,747
Reaction score
923
Go into 4. I think it'd be best to find Lairon and Corphish as soon as possible, and they're likely somewhere in the building.
 
Part 5
Standing Out
Joined
Dec 9, 2015
Messages
9,887
Reaction score
5,880
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
Go into 4. I think it'd be best to find Lairon and Corphish as soon as possible, and they're likely somewhere in the building.
As you gradually make your way down the hall, you hear sounds of banging coming from behind the closed door on your left. Gripping your bat in anticipation, you push open the door, revealing a bedroom much nicer than the one you'd woken up in. Or, well, it would have been if it wasn't so destroyed. There was a queen-size bed (torn to shreds), a desk (mostly demolished), and proper shelving (also mostly demolished). The most striking part of the room however was the Pokemon in the corner. It was your Lairon, you'd recognise that chip out of its back armour anywhere. The door creaks slightly as you push it further to come into the room. You recoil slightly as Lairon's head suddenly snaps around to look at you. You experience an unshakable feeling of dread as its normally blue eyes, now a harsh red, glare into you with a burning ferocity. Lairon turns toward you and roars. Something is very wrong.

How do you respond to this situation?
 
Record-Breaking Black Assassin
Joined
Sep 5, 2012
Messages
14,792
Reaction score
13,624
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
Oh, boy. Well, whatever's going on with Lairon, one way or another, it won't be safe to even budge closer to it. Red is a bad, bad color.

Aim whatever Poke Ball that was used to contained Lairon at it to ready a potential recapture; but simultaneously anticipate the usage of a distractive cricket ball in case the worst happens...

Trainers shouldn't hurt their Pokemon.
 
Part 6
Standing Out
Joined
Dec 9, 2015
Messages
9,887
Reaction score
5,880
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
Aim whatever Poke Ball that was used to contained Lairon at it to ready a potential recapture; but simultaneously anticipate the usage of a distractive cricket ball in case the worst happens...

Trainers shouldn't hurt their Pokemon.
Slowly and deliberately, you take the strap of your backpack off one shoulder and reach into the pocket on the side. You produce Lairon's Dusk Ball and the cricket ball you grabbed from the locker, stashing the cricket bat in the main pocket. The entire time Lairon never took its eyes off you; growling, but never moving from its place in the corner. Extending your arm, you point the Dusk Ball at Lairon and call for a return. The red beam of light extends from the button and strikes Lairon, wrapping around its form. The light holds for a few seconds, before shattering as Larion roars and shakes its body around. No good, looks like it's way too angry to accept a return. Lairon shook itself off from the effects before fixing those fierce, hateful eyes squarely on you. It roars once more and charges directly at you. In a fit of surprise and panic you toss the cricket ball over near the destroyed shelf. Its eyes locking onto the much more active and engaging target, Lairon veers off to the side in pursuit. It leaps towards the ball to catch it, banging its head against the wall, stunning it for a moment.

You have lost the cricket ball
You've got a few seconds, how do you use them?
 
Last edited:
All cards on the field are destroyed!
Joined
Jan 3, 2020
Messages
5,747
Reaction score
923
Uh, I feel like maybe now would be a good time to run, but maybe someone else has a better idea.
 
Record-Breaking Black Assassin
Joined
Sep 5, 2012
Messages
14,792
Reaction score
13,624
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
Y'gotta know when to fold 'em. Even if Lairon is confused enough to be caught; there's no telling if the Dusk Ball will keep ahold of it in its current state.

Well, one thing's for sure; in the event that someone or some group is behind this, whoever did this to Lairon is in for a very special meeting. *Eyes to the cricket bat* And hey, if someone's being a stubborn one; well, your beloved deity's due for a new offering~ ❤
 
Part 7
Standing Out
Joined
Dec 9, 2015
Messages
9,887
Reaction score
5,880
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
Uh, I feel like maybe now would be a good time to run, but maybe someone else has a better idea.
Y'gotta know when to fold 'em. Even if Lairon is confused enough to be caught; there's no telling if the Dusk Ball will keep ahold of it in its current state.
Seizing the moment of Lairon's temporary daze, you scramble back out the door you came from, slamming it behind you moments before Lairon collided with the closed door. What was that? Lairon was usually so nice, it loves cuddling up on your lap for crying out loud. What had happened to twist it into that? You didn't have much time to ponder however, as a feminine voice calls out from down the hall.
"What is going on over here!?" You turn to see a woman running down the hall, Pokeball in hand. She's dressed in black from head to toe, with matching hat, and a bright red R emblazoned on her chest. Her eyes seem to widen a tad as she sees you. "Wait, are you getting into nonsense again!?"

Response to this sudden appearance?
 
Last edited:
All cards on the field are destroyed!
Joined
Jan 3, 2020
Messages
5,747
Reaction score
923
Team Rocket generally fight using Pokémon, which we do not currently have. Pulling the cricket bat against her would probably get us beat up by one of her Pokémon. Releasing Lairon from the room would probably be very poor choice at the moment.

I'd say play along with her for now. Maybe we'll learn something about what they're doing here.
 
Part 8
Standing Out
Joined
Dec 9, 2015
Messages
9,887
Reaction score
5,880
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
Team Rocket generally fight using Pokémon, which we do not currently have. Pulling the cricket bat against her would probably get us beat up by one of her Pokémon. Releasing Lairon from the room would probably be very poor choice at the moment.

I'd say play along with her for now. Maybe we'll learn something about what they're doing here.
You remain silent as the Rocket Grunt catches up to you, panting slightly.
"Hey, are you ok? I heard-" She started to say before being cut off by scratching at the door next to you. "What is that?" She asks, glancing nervously at the door. You briefly consider opening the door to have Lairon drive her off, but decide against it; too unpredictable. You decide that full-disclosure is probably the best course of action at the moment, and explain how you found your Lairon having gone entirely insane. "Wait, that Lairon is in there? No. Absolutely not." She says, grabbing onto your arm. "We are not talking here." You cautiously follow along as she leads you back the way she'd come, prepared to wrench your arm away at any moment. She leads you back past the bedroom you'd started in and around the corner, into a kitchen. You glance around at the kitchen as she brings you in. There's a fridge and freezer, various cooking appliances such as an oven and microwave, bags of various snacks across the table and counter looking like they'd been scattered in a hurry, and a whiteboard and markers, presumably for noting groceries (though a large number of simple doodles also covered the board).
"So, that Lairon's yours, huh?" The Rocket Grunt asks as she sat down on one of the chairs by the table. "Guess that explains why you've gone after it twice now. Just maybe make sure you're prepared before the third try, huh?" She says with a smirk.

What's next?
 
Last edited:
Record-Breaking Black Assassin
Joined
Sep 5, 2012
Messages
14,792
Reaction score
13,624
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
Alright, maybe giving our little metal bugger a tasty meal could placate it from its trance? Let's see what our culinary judgment and/or experience can offer.
 
Top