• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Shame! *rings bell*

Poneto

Previously Obstagoon
Reaction score
I'm not being funny, but this Nintendo Online paid service is BS. The Switch, which I'll have to buy specifically for Sw&Sh, is going to set me back at least £200, which becomes ~250 when the games are taken into account. And now you're telling me I need to pay 20 AS WELL to access gameplay elements that have been free in every previous game (online play), bring the total to nearly £300.

What greedy cash grab. The execs at Nintendo should be ashamed of themselves. But hey, at least some faceless fat cats will have a little bit more money to hoard with the rest of it in their offshore accounts, amirite?

This is probably a bit off-topic for this section, but...

The online service is a rip-off, yes. Nintendo had quite some gall to begin charging for their online when everyone knows that their online services have always been by far the worst in the console market. Then they set the price lower than the competition. This was an obvious move to tide more people over to say "Well, it's only $20, so stop complaining".

Well, I will still "complain", more like I will call greed when I see it. $20 is still $20. It shouldn't cost anything. Switch's online services are not any better than the Wii U's... In fact, at least on the Wii U we had actual NNIDs, whereas the Switch regressed to Friend Codes. I can't even with that.

This is what always frustrates me about Nintendo. It seems like anymore they can never just make a great console without shooting themselves in the foot in some ridiculous way. Everyone loves to hate on the Wii U, but the Wii U had free online without the clunky FCs, and it had Virtual Console. I just don't understand why the Switch had to regress to friend codes and has no Virtual Console. Virtual Console on the Switch could print money.

I wasn't aware there was one; my blind rage consumed me.

Shame GIF

I hate to contribute to a thing like this, but I have to agree on all fronts. I can just barely pay my bills, let alone any additional subscriptions to whatever. Sure, $20 or whatever the cost is elsewhere a year seems minor, but when you live from check to check (and only get one check a month, for that matter), every penny counts. And it's not like utility/medical/food bills pay themselves with magically appearing money. That's why I find this whole online subscription payment thing to be a royal pain. It's the only reason why I haven't dabbled much (if at all) on my Switch's online "prowess" outside of minor stuff like updates. With the past consoles that Nintendo worked with for online stuff it wasn't so bad, as it was all free, but now it's hyper restrictive and requires both money and something called "friends", two luxuries most people don't have, or at least not enough to toss around willy-nilly. I know I'm complaining about it, too, and I apologize, but it's frustrating that Nintendo would treat us like bottomless piggy banks and force us to use paid services for stuff that we're either already paying for outside of them, was once free, or both. I know they're a company, and companies exist to make money, but throwing a bone or two to their customers wouldn't hurt much. It's not like their systems are cheap to begin with so cutting us some slack when it comes to those product's services would be most appreciated.

sigh Sorry, got carried away, but it's one reason why I can't enjoy the Switch as much as, say, my PS4 or 3DS, since they're easier to maintain and use, with stuff like online services being optional and, for the most part, free. Somehow, Nintendo tends to get a little too cocky about their products and end up shooing themselves in the foot due to idiotic ideas like this.

Okay... I'm done now. I'll be quiet.

I don't know. Maybe I'm part of the minority here, but I don't actually think one payment of $20 a year is anything too extreme. I can see the issue if $20 a month. That would be a bad business choice. But everyone has at least $20 a year to spend without digging too deep into your pocket.

Does it deserve to be free? Yeah. I mean there's no reason not to since the previous console gen was. But that was also leaving them behind in the market since Xbox and Sony had subscription services. But even they're a lot more than what Nintendo is charging so it's still a better deal in the long run. It's a necessary evil to make Nintendo not look like the baby console that it has been labeled at for years.

My only complaint about the service is they need to step up the perks. Like yeah, the NES games are fine, but they really need to put out bigger named games or games that were never released outside of Japan and find a way to fix the object limit vs. the higher frame rate issue.

I have never understood why video game companies make you pay money to access online, when I can just get the same game on Steam (for other consoles) and not have to pay extra. Nintendo is just the last one to cave. There is a LOT of subscription fatigue going on. We have to subscribe for practically every damn thing nowadays, and whilst $20 isn't much... it's just another thing on atop of the pile, sadly.

Let's just be happy it isn't a more dire amount. (Looking at you, Sony and Microsoft.)

Last edited:
I'm not being funny, but this Nintendo Online paid service is BS. The Switch, which I'll have to buy specifically for Sw&Sh, is going to set me back at least £200, which becomes ~250 when the games are taken into account. And now you're telling me I need to pay 20 AS WELL to access gameplay elements that have been free in every previous game (online play), bring the total to nearly £300.

What greedy cash grab. The execs at Nintendo should be ashamed of themselves. But hey, at least some faceless fat cats will have a little bit more money to hoard with the rest of it in their offshore accounts, amirite?
Sadly, the only way it wouldn't have happened would be if the game was released for PC, since Sony and Microsoft do the exact same thing.

Yeah, 20 bucks a year isn't much. But the thing is that this kind of thing has always been free in past Pokemon games. If I recall right Switch is the first Nintendo console that makes you pay to access online interaction? Did the WiiU? Not having to pay for online interaction was one of the good things I could say about Nintendo over Sony and MIcrosoft. It's a shame that they decided to join the wallet bleeders by making you pay to actually use the internet you already pay for to have at your house in order to interact online with your vidyagams.

Yeah, 20 bucks a year isn't much. But the thing is that this kind of thing has always been free in past Pokemon games. If I recall right Switch is the first Nintendo console that makes you pay to access online interaction? Did the WiiU? Not having to pay for online interaction was one of the good things I could say about Nintendo over Sony and MIcrosoft. It's a shame that they decided to join the wallet bleeders by making you pay to actually use the internet you already pay for to have at your house in order to interact online with your vidyagams.

Ikr. You already pay for internet, you already paid for the game, what are you paying for with global service? Nothing.

Yeah, I can't afford all that. 20 dollars for a mediocre service is steep (and, if I'm being honest, a bit ridiculous), but ultimately manageable. But it's on top of a Switch, a Gen VIII game, several other games, internet, and IRL responsibilities such as rent, food, kids, medical bills, and medication.

So, nobody is going to call out the other companies? They do the exact same things, but I only see people talking about Nintendo.

A couple people have mentioned Sony and Microsoft already, but actually can we fast-forward through the "what about the other guys?" phase and just get to the part where we marxist revolt? late capitalism is giving me goddamn stress levels

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom