• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Shame! *rings bell*

From what I understand, you pay so they can keep running the servers that keep the online interaction going. But again... they had no problem doing that in DPP, HGSS, BWB2W2, XY, ORAS, AND SMUSUSM sooooooo
Not to mention that there's other Switch games that handle that just fine on their own, like Fortnite.

So, nobody is going to call out the other companies? They do the exact same things, but I only see people talking about Nintendo.
Probably because the other companies don't affect Pokemon games?

Not to mention that there's other Switch games that handle that just fine on their own, like Fortnite.

Probably because the other companies don't affect Pokemon games?
I think it's more that was more my annoyance talking because I always see people talking about Nintendo, but never the others except I think Microsoft at the time (along with everything else that was wrong with them). Sorry if it sounded badly.

You know, now that I think about it, what caused that change in companies? From not charging anything (unless it was a MMO) to charging a monthly fee.

So, nobody is going to call out the other companies? They do the exact same things, but I only see people talking about Nintendo.

Because those companies don't make Pokemon, the game I play

I think it's more that was more my annoyance talking because I always see people talking about Nintendo, but never the others except I think Microsoft at the time (along with everything else that was wrong with them). Sorry if it sounded badly.

You know, now that I think about it, what caused that change in companies? From not charging anything (unless it was a MMO) to charging a monthly fee.
Server costs and the same reasons microtransactions exist...just because they can. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Microsoft the first one to do that? Like I said since it's become standard, it's a necessary evil since if you don't follow the big boys, you get called a baby console forever.

At least Nintendo still releases 98% completed games at launch unlike the other companies who rely on DLC to fill in half the game. Also you don't need to spend real money in their first party non-phone games like everyone seems to like to do now.

Also Fortnite is like...an exception since you're still paying Epic directly and bypassing Nintendo servers. Since from what I've heard you need an Epic account to play or pay for the full game.

Last edited:
Sigh. If you can't afford $20/year, due to bills like utlilities, rent, then, you aren't fit to buy the console.
Listen here, you. I have no income and only recently got accepted for disability aid. I saved up $300 dollars to get a switch with help from my mom by getting some money every month by cooking dinner and cleaning the bathroom every week. I saved up the money to buy my 3DS a few years back too.

Poor people have every right to save up money to have nice things. Don't ever imply that because people have low income that they aren't fit to have something to help them enjoy life. :annoyedVoltorb:Otherwise you end up like those stuck up rich people who say things like "They can't be poor they have a stove AND a microwave." Yes that's legit something I've heard before.
---
Hoo doggy that was some legit upsetness from me. MOVING ON.
Also you don't need to spend real money in their first party non-phone games like everyone seems to like to do now.
You say that, but I recently stopped playing Pocket Camp because I got sick and tired of being unable to get the limited time items I wanted because, without going to the store and spending real life money on bundles, I never had enough Leaf Tickets to get most things. Even spending a lot of time every week to earn every measly bunch of 3 tickets the event goals provided. So, yeah, while you don't HAVE to spend real money on that game at least, they still somehow managed to make an ANIMAL CROSSING game Pay2Win.

You say that, but I recently stopped playing Pocket Camp because I got sick and tired of being unable to get the limited time items I wanted because, without going to the store and spending real life money on bundles, I never had enough Leaf Tickets to get most things. Even spending a lot of time every week to earn every measly bunch of 3 tickets the event goals provided. So, yeah, while you don't HAVE to spend real money on that game at least, they still somehow managed to make an ANIMAL CROSSING game Pay2Win.

I did say non-phone games. I personally agree that Pocket Camp is probably the worst game in terms of exclusive microtransactions. Especially since they have common wallpaper up for real cash.

But...at the same time, It's not like Animal Crossing Switch will be P2W. Personally I see them combining it with the online subscription and getting all the Leaf Ticket items from Pocket Camp as a subscription perk like the Nintendo Network items were with New Leaf before they got rid of of that service or the spot pass items after that.

I did say non-phone games. I personally agree that Pocket Camp is probably the worst game in terms of exclusive microtransactions. Especially since they have common wallpaper up for real cash.
While I do agree Pocket Camp is bad at that, it doesn't goes to the level of Dungeon Keeper. It might be the only game where no one wanted to pay anything.

From what I understand, you pay so they can keep running the servers that keep the online interaction going. But again... they had no problem doing that in DPP, HGSS, BWB2W2, XY, ORAS, AND SMUSUSM sooooooo
True, ongoing services do require a source of ongoing funding. The exact situation is obviously a lot more complicated than that, but the underlying principle is fair enough: if it doesn't pay for itself its operating costs must be subsidized from something else.

I have never understood why video game companies make you pay money to access online, when I can just get the same game on Steam and not have to pay extra.
Do those games have their own online servers or do they just run peer-to-peer?

True, ongoing services do require a source of ongoing funding. The exact situation is obviously a lot more complicated than that, but the underlying principle is fair enough. If it doesn't pay for itself its operating costs must be subsidized from something else.

Do those games have their own online servers or do they just run peer-to-peer?

They have their own artists too, should we be expected to pay an extra tenner to use modern Pokemon models?

They have their own artists too, should we be expected to pay an extra tenner to use modern Pokemon models?
Non sequitur.

I'm honestly not sure. It could be the case that they all run peer-to-peer, but I kind of doubt that. And I mean, I do understand the costs of running online servers, but it still just seems kind of off to me regardless.
... that may have actually been a trick question on my part. At a minimum, a central server gives the game a reliable source to find and connect with other players in the game (even when actual in-game packets are sent via peer-to-peer).

Non sequitur.

It's most definitely not. Excuses like "they have their own servers" are just that--excuses. Nintendo has to pay for a lot of different stuff in the making of these games (or not in the case of its child slaves), that's what the price tag is for. Hidden fees are unethical.

True, ongoing services do require a source of ongoing funding. The exact situation is obviously a lot more complicated than that, but the underlying principle is fair enough: if it doesn't pay for itself its operating costs must be subsidized from something else.

Maintaining servers are probably literally less than 1% of the profit GameFreak makes per year on the Pokémon IP. Battling with others and trading are essential features for the games, to the point that it’s impossible in every Pokemon game ever made to complete the Dex without trading. That shouldn’t be locked behind a paywall.

Maintaining servers are probably literally less than 1% of the profit GameFreak makes per year on the Pokémon IP. Battling with others and trading are essential features for the games, to the point that it’s impossible in every Pokemon game ever made to complete the Dex without trading. That shouldn’t be locked behind a paywall.

Yeah especially in a game that has stressed the essential nature of the multiplayer aspect since day 1, there's really no defense.

And even if the costs of servers were higher, that argument would hold water about as well as the shattered glass my cat knocked off my desk last week.

Because, again. They had no problem running the servers allowing for online trading in Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Black, White, Black 2, White 2, X, Y, Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire, Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon without the need of online subscriptions. So for four (did I count that right? I'm going to sleep soon and I'm hella tired so my counting is probably wonk) generations, they were just fine not asking for us to pay to use the online features.

For non-pokemon examples: How are Animal Crossing fans gonna feel when they have to buy that subscription to interact online with other players? Especially those who take advantage of the human trafficking Villager Trade market? Or if you can only access certain features if you've interacted with other players? In New Leaf there were items you could only get on the Club Tortimer version of the Tropical Island, which required connecting online and having to deal with trolls holding you for ransom by starting a game and refusing to sit down to start it until you gave them all your money.

I'm surprised the Splatoon Fandom didn't smash something during the shift from Splatoon to Splatoon 2. After like two years of existing the series went from a one time purchase to a one time purchase plus a yearly online subscription.

According to a website called business insider Fortnight of all godsdamned things DOES NOT require paying this subscription to play. :\ I didn't think it was possible for me to have any further distaste for the entire Fortnight thing. But yeah. Bravo they managed to do it.

Edit: Oh sweet merciful helix. Splatoon 2 came out before this online subscription nonsense started and became unplayable for anyone who didn't have the subscription??? Wow. Like. That must have sucked for the younger kids who have parents who aren't gamers. Finally convinced mom and dad to get you a switch and the sequel to that game you enjoyed on your WiiU. It was all your birthday gifts rolled into one because of the cost. It's now a few months later. You can no longer play the game unless you put in your information to start paying for an online subscription every year. Mom and Dad aren't game savvy so they have no clue wtf that is so they refuse. Wasted birthday is wasted. Kid is devastated.

That's some EA shit right there, Nintendo. What the actual fek.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom