• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Start Ups Shards [OPEN]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocolate Bones

It's alive!
Reaction score
For nearly a thousand years the skies on Earth were full of Homeworld warships and light cannon bursts at almost every corner of the planet. But on this night it was exceptionally quiet. Earth creatures called crickets sang their song in the lingering warmth of the summer. Earth's only moon drifted along the star strewn sky. The tide pushed in a gentle breeze along the shores not far from the rebel base.

Things had never been more tense.

"Rose..." Pearl began, stepping from the shadows to meet her commander as she stood on a hilltop and watched the placid sea.

"Yes, Pearl?"

"Carnelian returned this evening. She said she saw three more fleets evacuate the planet just last night. We haven't seen this kind of activity from Homeworld since the Rebellion began."

Rose was silent. Pearl joined her. To most other Gems this news would be a sign that the war was coming to an end. That that the Crystal Gems would soon be victorious. But Pearl and Rose were much too smart and experienced to be so naively optimistic. They knew this only meant that Homeworld was getting desperate. A desperate Diamond is a terrifying thing indeed.

Rose looked at Pearl, offering a trusting glance.

"What do you make of it?"

Pearl froze. Rose often asked her what she thought of things, but for some reason it always caught her off guard, despite the fact that she knew they both trusted each other more than anyone. She looked away from Rose and out to the sea.

"I... don't know... We can't afford to assume they've given up on taking the Earth back. Like is often a case with the Diamonds..." she looked at Rose. "... Perhaps the only safe thing to do is assume the worst..."

Rose joined Pearl in staring quietly out to sea.

"So it looks like their Weapon is real after all..."

----

Rebels: Rose has just called for a gathering of all Crystal Gems to take place at the base. Introduce your character, and let them interact with any Gems that you like.

Loyalists: The Diamonds have inexplicably ordered hundreds of ships to leave Earth. You are part of the few remaining fleets. Introduce your character and establish their current mission.

----

@Lone_Garurumon , @SpatiallyRendering

Give us a taste of your characters and let's get rolling!

"Why are they retreating? What do you mean we don't know? A Diamond order? Unbelievable!"

Moonstone began yelling at the captains of the ship. She had finally gone down to Earth to more directly communicate with the troops of Homeworld, as a strategist, and before she could even set foot on the minerals of the planet, the resources to create more gems, much like Moonstone's own creation planet, and then more than half of her troops were pulled off the battlefield! How was she supposed to fight a war without an army?

"Well then," She huffed. "Give me a moment."

When she was done with her rant, Moonstone finally retreated into her cabin, and pulled out a communication crystal. She pondered calling up White Diamond, her Diamond, and asking, politely, of course, what reasoning the Diamonds had for pulling all of these troops away from the planet. She thought, and then remembered the last time she had a concern about the plans her Diamond had. It had ended with the passengers of her ship frantically trying to catapult a communicator as far from her ship as possible. Placing the diamond down, Moonstone stepped out of her cabin, and returned to her holographic model of the Earth. She located the remaining ships, and counted the number of gem soldiers in each one, as well as in the remaining Diamond bases across the continents.

"I can barely take on a large battalion with this many troops," Moonstone complained.

Topaz entered the room with a slight amount of nervousness. Rose didn't just call these meetings for no reason, it always meant that something big was coming. The last time a meeting like this was called, Homeworld had captured more than 30 Crystal Gems and done who knows what with them.
"So, what's the big alarm?" She asked to one of the many Gems already in the room.
"Well, I'm sure you can tell it's not good." A voice cut over the Ruby that was about to answer that she had no clue.
"Oh! Garnet! Stop doing that, you know I get jumpy!" Topaz playfully jabbed at the tall gem that had been in the room from the moment Rose had called the meeting, knowing that it was likely to happen.
"I have an idea of what Rose is going to tell us, but I think it's best for you to hear it from her, she'll be here in a moment."
"Oh Garnet, always the mysterious one." Topaz made one last jab before turning to where Rose was bound to address the rebellion.

The opalescent sand of the desert encampment glistened in the moonlight. Despite the calm night air, dozens of gem soldiers and their superior officers bustled, moving supplies and Gemtech between rovers and robonoids and ships.

Suddenly, something burst through the low hanging clouds and whirred toward the Earth like a bullet, piercing deep into the sand and sending a shockwave throughout the camp. At the end of the sharp object was a loop, from which a thick, golden tether that was tied to it stretched into the sky. The camp was quiet again as the Gems stared, ready to pounce at any moment. The thread vibrated more and more before finally a figure burst through the clouds, slamming down on the crater formed by the needle, hunched over and cloaked by a black cowl.

Carefully and calmly, Citrine pulled off her hood and surveyed the camp, her eyes moving from structure to structure. Now that she at least had the attention of the Gems in the area, she decided to speak up. She got to her feet and with a firm tug yanked the needle from the ground, spinning it around several times before letting go of it, where it burst into a gleam of light before disappearing completely, thread and all.

“I'm looking for Commander Moonstone.”

----

As the Gem voices began to die down along the grassy meadow where thousands of rebels were currently meeting, their leader took her place upon a large mound of dirt wild grass, standing tall and confident, looking down at them all. It was only moments later that all was silent and all eyes were on her.

“Hello, my friends… my protectors… my champions.”

She spoke almost nostalgically, as though she was desperate for the past thousand years to be a mere memory.

“I promise you all one day I'll bring you all together with good news and a reason to celebrate. But until that day comes I owe it to all of you to be honest and forward about everything, including my fears.

The massive crowd of Gems stayed still and calm. They trusted their commander with their lives.

“As most of you know by now, Homeworld is evacuating Earth at an unprecedented rate. While there do appear to be more reinforcements incoming, the number of ships leaving the planet every day far outweigh the ships coming in.”

Rose paused and looked at Pearl and Garnet, her two closest confidants, advisors, and friends, before addressing the crowd again.

“The reason for Homeworld’s sudden retreat might have something to do with rumors of a so-called ‘Ultimate Weapon.’ … Something that might have the power to decimate all Gem life on Earth…”

The crowd started to murmur, with many Gems gasping in shock and yelling in outrage. Rose let them express their heavy emotions before continuing.

“We can't be sure that any of these rumors are true, but it seems that we no longer have the benefit of the doubt. We can't be content simply contesting pieces of land on the Earth…

Rose picked up her sword and held it purposefully, gripping it tightly as she spoke.

“We need to take this fight to them!”

The crowd boomed. This is something the rebels have been waiting for Rose Quartz to say for a long, long time. Rose confidently materialized her shield and held it in front of her, at which the crowd grew even louder and more excited.

“Let's show Homeworld that the Earth and everything that calls it home will soon be free because we choose to be!”

The crowd exploded into chants and warcries. Thousands of Gems threw their fists into the air and celebrated the first signs of the changing tides. With Rose as their guide and their freedom as the price, there was no way the Crystal Gems could possibly lose to Homeworld now.

Pearl was made somewhat uneasy by the rowdy cheers and rhythmic shouting, but she too held her sword with purpose as she stood beside her commander. Feeling invigorated, she took a deep breath and puffed out her chest, trying to steel her nerves for the uncertain fight ahead.

As the night wore on the parade of excited and battle-thirsty Gems began to disperse, back to new, smaller meetings for planning and preparation. There was no more time to waste.

Moonstone heard the explosion-like sounds but thought of them as something of little importance. Focusing on her holographic model, she studied the replay of the last battle, looking closely at the landforms and the way the rebels used them, such as the earth and the heights. As she finally came up with a suitable plan for a small platoon, a servant gem ran to her cabin.

"Someone has come looking for you."

"Who?" Moonstone asked, not even turning.

"An operative from the forces of Yellow Diamond."

"Not my Diamond, not my problem," Moonstone answered.

"She says she has almost a direct connection to Yellow Diamond."

"Fine, I'll come see," Moonstone sighed, and stood up from her holographic display, heading to the door of the ship.

Citrine put her hands on her hips and took a deep breath as she waited for the commanding officer, looking around the base much more casually.

"So this is what a White Diamond base looks like, huh..? I can definitely appreciate how much more calm and collected it is compared to Gamma Prime."

Citrine turned her attention to the doors of a large executive ship as they slid open. A tall figure stepped out slightly, blocking the light from inside. This was a very rare Gem. Impossible to mistake.

"You know," she started, walking up the ramp toward the bay doors of the ship, "it's not every day you see a Moonstone. But I suppose your rarity isn't nearly as important as your decorated reputation as a strategist."

She walked until she was standing right in front of the Gem, putting her hands on her hips once again.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

"Why, of course not. I was only figuring out what I am ever going to do with the resources our ever-generous Diamonds lefts us," Moonstone replied, the second part dripping with sarcasm. She took a deep breath of the crisp Earth air, and took a close look at the gem standing in front of her. A Quartz soldier, Moonstone instantly recognized. She had to know what gems were in what class, and what their jobs were. For example, a Ruby is normally used for the pointless jobs, and they are a corundum, a similar size and shape to other corundum gems, such as a Sapphire. However, the yellow gem in front of her wasn't as muscular and not as tall, so clearly not one for brute force. And her clothing, the clothing she wore was nothing at all like what an average Quartz soldier would have. If this was authorized, then she must be important. "So what brings you here?"

Citrine smirked to herself slightly as the Gem looked her over. She was used to those kind of looks. She didn't exactly carry herself like a Quartz soldier either, let alone looking like one. She looked around carefully, trying not to be too obvious, before looking Moonstone in the eyes.

"Well, if I'm being completely honest, I'm not here on official orders... As far as Yellow Diamond knows, I'm on a recon mission for surviving rebel outposts."

Citrine purposely avoided answering the question, leaning to the side slightly to try and get a look inside her ship.

"Is there somewhere we might be able to talk in private...?"

As Rose's speech continued, Topaz became more and more nervous. She had always come back successful from missions for Homeworld successful (or she wouldn't be here now), but some Gems that she was with hadn't been successful, and so she had seen what the Diamonds could do. If they were going to use some kind of 'Ultimate Weapon", then it had to be something horrible. As she moved out of the area, she wasn't sure what to think. She was glad that they were finally going to take the fight to the Diamonds, but she was terrified that they would fail and be at the Diamonds' mercy.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I had hoped I was wrong." Garnet said as she walked up to Rose after the speech was over. "I saw that this would be the most likely outcome, but hoped it wouldn't be true. Rose, are you sure about this?" Garnet asked as she removed her visor, looking at Rose with true concern in her three eyes. "I can see so many ways that this could go wrong. I trust you, but I have to know that you're sure."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the Beta Kindergarten, an orange gem fell from a wall, landing with a thud.
"Uurrgghh." She groaned as she attempted to gather the strength to stand. A group of Peridots ran up to her.
"Hmm, barely any friction marks in the hole."
"A bit short, build's too slender."
"Ugh, look at that gem!" They called various opinions and observations at each other as they began to help her to her feet.
"Get off me!" The Jasper growled. As she threw them off of her and got to her feet. The Peridots turned to huddle together.
"What do you two think?"
"She's clearly defective."
"Of course she is, what can you expect? Only one good Quartz has ever come out of this place."
"There's no point taking her off-world."
"Might as well give her to that Moonstone commander."
"I'll do it, send Moonstone a message, let her know she's got a Quartz coming."
One of the Peridots turned back and walked towards her as the other two walked off. "Ok, you're Jasper-3N6 Cut 8MD." The Peridot rattled off as she read from some notes. "You've been assigned to the command of Moonstone over in Facet 2, head over and report to your commander, there's a Warp Pad up at the north end of the Kindergarten."
"Right! Jasper-3N6 Cut 8MD reporting for duty!" She repeated her designation to herself a couple of times to make sure she'd memorised it as she headed in the direction the Peridot had indicated.

"So there is. You may come in." Moonstone answered, turning and walking inside. Not looking back for the gem behind her, she began towards the back of the ship, but as she walked, a cabin gem ran up to her.

"You have received a message from the Beta Kindergarten! A newly formed Jasper has been assigned under you!"

"Number?" Moonstone inquired.

"Jasper-3N6 Cut 8MD!"

"Thank you. Right this way." Moonstone gestured toward an empty room in the back of the ship for the gem to enter.

“I wish I could say there was any other way.”

Rose stared up into the stars toward Homeworld’s galaxy.

“The Weapon isn't the only rumor that we've heard…”

Rose looked back at Garnet, a look of deep sadness in her eyes.

“Apparently Homeworld is so desperate they've been experimenting with… forced fusion…”

Rose blinked away some tears before looking back into the stars again.

“To the Diamonds, Gems are just tools, and the Earth is just a rock, waiting to be carved out…”

Rose reached down and gripped her own gem.

“This is about so much more than just us… This is about taking a stand for life - all life - before our own kind erases it from existence.”

Rose smiled and offered Garnet her outstretched hand.

“I won't tell you it will be easy… but I can tell you that I'd gladly be shattered before I see you have to stop being you…”

----

Citrine followed Moonstone silently, tucking her thumbs into the waistband of her leggings as she casually examined the interior of the ship. She’d been inside a command ship before, but it was always fascinating to see how each Diamond always things a little differently. Yellow Diamond had some incredible Gemtech herself, but nothing quite so pristine and well-managed.

“Definitely a lot fewer prison cells...” she muttered out loud to herself.

Citrine nodded at the Gem leading her and awkwardly stepped into the empty room, tapping her abdomen with her fingers as she waited for her host.

Stepping into the room after this gem, Moonstone headed straight to the corner, and picked up a small piece of Gemtech. Moonstone placed the bug-like robot on the floor and stomped on it, crushing it.

"So, who are you?" Moonstone asked her guest, moving her long white hair away from her face.

Citrine watched Moonstone carefully and crossed her arms. Like most Gems in any kind go position of authority, this one wasn't much for chit chat. She did, however, seem to be a fan of intimidation. Citrine took it as a compliment.

"My name is Citrine," she answered, unfolding her arms and resting her hands on the table.

"I'm one of Yellow Diamond's go-to Gems for reconnaissance and infiltration. But that's not why I'm here..."

Citrine stood up again and leaned her hip against the table, sighing and crossing her arms again.

"As you likely know, just being in a White Diamond base could get me shattered, either by your boss or by mine..."

She looked at Moonstone seriously.

"What do you know about... the Weapon?"

"I know not to ask my Diamond about it." Moonstone answered. "Last time I directly communicated with White Diamond, she said that the war would be ended with a bang. When I asked for clarification, she ended the call and set the communicator to self-destruct. So all that I can do is lead the traditional troops."

"Looks like Yellow Diamond isn't the only hothead," Citrine mumbled, sighing again. She was afraid of that kind of answer.

"I think we need to see what the Crystal Gems know about this 'Weapon'... I know that Rose has plenty of spies deep within the Diamond ranks. Someone has to know something..."

Citrine looked at Moonstone, speaking earnestly.

"I can't trust anyone from my squadron because Yellow Diamond is cracking down her security. There's no way that's a coincidence. I only managed to get all the way here on my own because there's something big Yellow Diamond is concerned about…”

"So you need information. Information from the rebels." Moonstone confirmed. "And how do you expect to do that?"

"Thank you Rose." Garnet took Rose's hand while wiping a tear away with her other hand. The comment about forced fusion had shaken her pretty bad. That Homeworld would take something as beautiful as fusion, and shatter it with horrible experiments. "I trust you, and I know you'll do the right thing. For everyone." She turned to look up to the stars with her friend.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the White Diamond base, a pillar of light shot up from the Warp Pad, and when it faded, a Jasper was standing there. "Well, I suppose that big ship over there is the command post." She muttered to herself as she stepped off and begun towards it. She garnered several gazes as she walked towards the ship, thanks in no small part to her rather patchy gem prominently displayed on her bicep. "Rrggh, stupid perfect Sapphires and Lazulis." she muttered to herself. "Just because they're perfect. Well, I'm gonna show them. I'll be the best Jasper they've ever seen."

Citrine winked at Moonstone coyly and her gem started to shine slightly.

"I have my ways of getting Gems to talk..." She looked away in thought. "The problem is that the Gem I have in mind wouldn't exactly be easy to get ahold of..."

Citrine stepped away from the table and walked toward Moonstone, keeping her arms crossed.

"That's why I need your help. From what I hear, no one still left on Earth knows the rebels, their movements, and their ranks better than you. Between the two of us, we should be able to grab any Gem on the planet... the only thing we might need is just a little more muscle."

"All I seem to have here are Rubies and such," Moonstone began.

"Commander! The Jasper has arrived!" A smaller gem called from outside.

"Well, we may just have a solution." She finished, taking a step out of the room.

Jasper was honestly somewhat taken aback when Moonstone stepped out of the ship, There hadn't been a Moonstone in ages, so she wasn't made to recognise one of them on sight. When she was told Moonstone was a commander she was expecting something... sturdier looking. Of course it wasn't hard to guess that this was Moonstone since it was the only Gems she hadn't recognised on sight.
"Jasper-3...N6, Cut... 8M...C? Was that it?" She mumbled to herself as she struggled to remember her designation. "Uuh, your new Jasper reporting for duty!" She reported to her leader. "I look forward to serving your orders!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom