• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

sharkshocker's Fairy Face-Off (Report)

Reaction score
Hi guys, thought to make a report of my progress through the Fairy Face-Off. I cleared up enough space on my VS Recorder to save all my battles so hopefully I can give you something worth watching :D

First off I'll list my team. My goal was to make an anti-Fairy team, and so after overthinking and making so many changes throughout the week this is what I got:

klefki.gif

Klefki
Life Orb
240 HP/252 Sp. Atk/12 Speed
Modest
Prankster
Flash Cannon
Thunder Wave
Safeguard
Reflect

This will be my usual lead, a mix of anti-lead and some sweeping potential. Safeguard shuts down Thunder Wave, Swagger, and Will-O-Wisp while I hit back with my own paralysis. Life Orb + Flash Cannon gives me a guaranteed KO against Whimsicott and allows Klefki to hit hard against most of the Fairies. At level 30 it takes 12 EVs to get one extra stat point so I invested enough Speed EVs to outspeed opposing Klefkis. I was also considering Choice Specs Klefki but prefer the utility I get from this set.

gardevoir.gif

Gardevoir
Focus Sash
252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed
Timid
Trace
Moonblast
Will-O-Wisp
Thunderbolt
Destiny Bond

Fail-safe against any big threats I can't directly answer. Barring Stealth Rocks from Carbink (which would be 2HKO'd by Klefki) Gardevoir can survive a hit on the switch and threaten a Destiny Bond on anything that it outspeeds. Destiny Bond goes through Substitute and isn't affected by evasion modifiers so it stops potential Minimize abuse from Clefable. Moonblast is there for STAB and Thunderbolt as an option against Klefki, Mawile, Azumarill, and Togekiss (tracing Serene Grace can be amusing too). Will-O-Wisp is there in the event Gardevoir can do more damage in the long run but usually it's meant for the 1-1 trade.

togekiss.gif

Togekiss
Lum Berry
252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed
Modest
Serene Grace
Fire Blast
Thunder Wave
Safeguard
Air Slash

While I try not to abuse flinch-hax it's hard to pass up :p Standard Thunder Wave+Air Slash combo to abuse Serene Grace and Fire Blast is there to get the KO on M-Mawile. As for the item it was a toss-up between Lum Berry and Babiri Berry (which would allow it to survive an unboosted Iron Head from M-Mawile) but I figured that Togekiss needs more protection from Klefki and fellow Togekiss and I like testing my luck on Fire Blast's accuracy :p

slurpuff.gif

Slurpuff
Petaya Berry
252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed
Timid
Unburden
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Substitute
Endeavor

One of the later additions to the team. I got confused for a bit and thought that the competition only allowed Fairy Pokemon from the Kalos dex and so scrambled to find a replacement for Azumarill (which did end up getting dropped from the team). Slurpuff's base speed is at the level where it can set up a Substitute on most things that can KO it and survive a hit from anything faster. I hope I calculated its HP correctly to activate Petaya Berry after 3 Substitutes, Endeavor is the icing on the cake once Slurpuff faces something it can't KO directly.

clefable.gif

Clefable
Leftovers
252 HP/252 Defense
Bold
Magic Guard
Fire Blast
Moonblast
Moonlight
Calm Mind

An attempt at standard Clefable, Moonlight does the job except for the low PP but in this format I don't think I would end up using all of it. It might not even have room to set up, but this was meant as a check for Whimsicott but I feel that I won't get to use this that much.

mawile-mega.gif

Mega Mawile
Mawilite
240 HP/252 Attack/12 Speed
Adamant
Intimidate → Huge Power
Play Rough
Iron Head
Substitute
Fire Fang

And then we have Mega Mawile :D STAB Iron Head puts a dent on anything while Play Rough and Fire Fang round off the moveset and give coverage. Substitute is there to protect M-Mawile from the OHKO and status. Speed EVs were invested to outspeed opposing M-Mawile.

Day 1
This is my first time playing in a wi-fi competition so I am nervous and try to delay doing my battles (by doing schoolwork!). But I convince myself to do my first battle on my study break, since the battles are 3v3 I figured they wouldn't take too long anyway...plus if I lost I'd be motivated to get back to studying :p

Battle 1: PUBG-WWWW-WWW9-S72Z
Safeguard shines through here as it allowed Klefki and Mawile to avoid paralysis from Thunder Wave. I messed up and paralyzed Azumarill instead of burning it (not only would burn weaken Azumarill more, a successful paralysis might also tip my hand about Destiny Bond) but Reflect allowed Gardevoir to trade shots with Azumarill, which had an Assault Vest, before activating Destiny Bond. Another misplay as I bring out my Mawile against their Klefki so I bring out Klefki, which gave Mawile an opening to set up a Substitute and KO the opponent's Klefki and their M-Gardevoir.

Instead of going back to study I started typing this :p
Battle 2: JTJW-WWWW-WWW9-S8XJ
A Mawile lead, interesting. Klefki can break through any Substitute from M-Mawile so I prioritize (heh) getting Reflect up, but Klefki gets KO'd by a critical hit from Fire Fang. I bring out my own Mawile to force a switch and set up my own Substitute, which protects me from the incoming Togekiss. With Reflect still up I am able to survive the next Fire Fang from M-Mawile and 2HKO it back...go 12 Speed EVs! The last Pokemon was a Gardevoir and it didn't feel like it'd be scarfed (Gardevoir doesn't have much to outspeed) so I bring out my own Gardevoir. Of course I survive the incoming hit (Hidden Power Fire on Choice Specs?) and I pray to overcome the speed tie, just in case. Well since RNG gave him the critical hit earlier it felt fair that I win the speed tie, and Destiny Bond pulls through.

I was secretly hoping to lose that last battle, now I'm giving myself expectations @_@
Battle 3: 6K9W-WWWW-WWW9-S9NJ
He brings out a Dedenne lead, most likely to counter Togekiss, but it can't do anything to Klefki. I open with a Safeguard to protect against Nuzzle and it hardly does damage. I find an opening to bring in Gardevoir but Dedenne uses Volt Switch and brings out their own Klefki. I was hoping the timing of the switches was different as I wanted to copy Prankster to ensure Will-O-Wisp connects, but I figure that not a lot of people brought Safeguard so I chance it and...the burn goes through! Unfortunately Gardevoir is doomed to fulfill its usual role because of an opposing Light Screen and it takes Klefki down with it. Round 2 of Klefki vs Dedenne and with Nuzzle hardly doing any damage I bring it down with Flash Cannon. Their last Pokemon is Gardevoir (who copies my Prankster D:) and it tries to land a burn while Safeguard is still up, but at that point Klefki's goal is just to paralyze Gardevoir so Mawile has an easier time to KO. Gardevoir mega evolves but not before I shoot one last Flash Cannon, then M-Mawile cleans up with Iron Head.

The webpage reloaded and I lost everything I typed after Battle 2 D:
Battle 4: RW3W-WWWW-WWW9-S9TD
As soon as I saw Clefable in team preview I knew I had to bring Gardevoir, even though I've already been using the same 3 Pokemon so far :p He opens up with a Togekiss and I go with a Safeguard to prevent any flinch-hax shenanigans but Togekiss gets going right away with a Fire Blast. Klefki manages to survive so I go with a Thunder Wave which immediately paralyzes Togekiss, giving me an extra turn to hit it with Flash Cannon (and get rid of a possible Babiri Berry) before I bring out Mawile. I spam Substitute until Togekiss gets paralyzed again or Fire Blast misses...it takes me 3 turns but I finally get my opening. I KO Togekiss with Iron Head and have a face-off against Mawile. The Substitute protects me from the Intimidate and we trade shots (my Fire Fang for his Iron Head) but the 12 Speed EVs follow through and let me outspeed and get the KO with Iron Head. Of course their last Pokemon had to be Clefable so I switch in Gardevoir, who dodges an incoming Fire Blast. I pretend I'm trying to KO it and we trade Moonblasts then I use Destiny Bond :p

Doing some calculations I may have gotten lucky against Togekiss. If that was a Fire Blast from an EV-invested Modest Togekiss then Klefki was looking at a 50% chance to survive that attack >.> I can see how troublesome a Togekiss lead can be, maybe I'll try using mine one of these days.
Battle 5: KSXG-WWWW-WWW9-SAAT
Gardevoir lead with no Trace, what its other ability again? Having played VGC recently I figured it probably had Telepathy and I had expected it was going to mega evolve so I lead with Thunder Wave. (yeah I know, Synchronize -.-) We traded paralysis for the next turn but I get a shot in with Flash Cannon and then it hit me: possible Destiny Bond incoming. I fish out the Destiny Bond and go with Safeguard but they switch out and bring out Azumarill. I reflexily go for Thunder Wave (to soften things up for M-Mawile) and I manage to get Reflect up before being 2HKO'd. Mawile comes out to force a switch and out comes Gardevoir. I'm really feeling Destiny Bond vibes but thankfully I outsped Gardevoir so I KO it without any trouble. Next to come out is Florges who, although boasting high stats on the special side, doesn't have any attacks that can hit Mawile except for Hidden Power (its learnset is mostly Grass and Fairy moves) and is fragile physically. My substitute survives Psychic and I KO back with Iron Head. Azumarill (who turns out to be banded) opts for Aqua Jet to bypass the speed drop from paralysis but the attack's low base power allows me to get the KO without further problems.

Klefki escaped another close call as a Choice Band-boosted Waterfall has a 20% chance to KO Klefki. I really should have gone for Reflect first.
Battle 6: EK7W-WWWW-WWW9-SBVE
Another Mawile lead so Klefki will try to redeem itself on this matchup, got the Reflect up and no critical hits...so far so good. But I make the wrong decision on Klefki's last turn, if I had gone with Flash Cannon I would have been able to KO M-Mawile with my own Mawile. M-Mawile is forced to go on the defensive as I tried to get a paralysis off, to no avail. Granbull comes out but no Intimidate (?) but it does outspeed me and KO Mawile. Gardevior gets a successful burn and the KO but it was already too frail when it faced Klefki. I end the game with a Destiny Bond which knocks out both Pokemon but I still get the loss.

Finally relieved some of the pressure from these battles and I like to think that was a moral victory for causing the double KO at the end :p
Battle 7: QQLG-WWWW-WWW9-SBVG
An Azumarill lead this time, if it's a Belly Drum set then I have a free turn to set up. I hoped for a paralysis on the last turn and tried to sneak in a Flash Cannon, to no avail. Next up is a Whimsicott and I have no idea what it would do if it weren't a lead, so Gardevoir fumbles around and Destiny Bond fails. Unless it's packing Stun Spore, Mawile should be able to KO it to prevent substitute spam and they opt for a Leech Seed and I get the OHKO (no Focus Sash, whew). Next is a M-Mawile vs M-Mawile and I'm down by one Intimidate and Leech Seed, but I have my 12 Speed EVs. Fire Fang is my best bet to get the 2HKO and so I hoped for no misses aaaaand...M-Mawile comes through with a burn from Fire Fang! I'm still taking enough damage that I needed to use Fire Fang again but I manage to pull off the win.

At least I stopped myself from going into a losing streak but I was completely outplayed on that match.
Battle 8: SEFG-WWWW-WWW9-SCC6
Another Dedenne lead, but this one plays out differently. I should have brought out Gardevoir again because Klefki lost out in this matchup, Thunderbolt with my Life Orb recoil was too much. Gardevoir hits back with Moonblast but Dedenne manages to survive with a sliver of HP, letting it survive for the extra turn it needed for Safeguard to expire. Nuzzle connects and I proceed to go with Will-O-Wisp in case it switches out into Mawile. Togekiss is next and it leads with Flamethrower, which Gardevoir manages to survive, but it gets paralyzed so no Destiny Bond. M-Mawile manages to get the KO with Iron Head but loses to their M-Mawile, which actually outsped me.

My opponent had a pretty high rating (1650's) and it shows in his play and his team, I should have remembered to do what I did on the previous Dedenne matchup @_@
Battle 9: U8KW-WWWW-WWW9-SCCA
Klefki vs. Klefki leads so it's one of the more standard matchups. It was packing Leftovers with Thunder Wave and Substitute, so I test the waters to see what else it has, I bring out Gardevoir as I didn't want to wear myself down too much from Life Orb. When I got around round of Safeguard I bring out Mawile and they bring in their own Mawile. I switch back to Gardevoir and settle things with Destiny Bond. It came back to Klefki vs. Klefki and theirs looked to be a standard defensive Klefki so I kept up Safeguard and wore it down with Flash Cannon (and some timely paralysis). Their last Pokemon was Azumarill, so I bring up Reflect and they respond with Superpower (?) and Aqua Jet to KO Klefki. With Azumarill having stat drops and facing down a Reflect, M-Mawile gets me the win.

Klefki saved me here as I was being too switch-happy...plus this battle also showed that I have no direct answer to a Klefki with a substitute out.
Battle 10: 69VG-WWWW-WWW9-SCU7
Mawile lead so I go with a Reflect and bring in Gardevoir for a burn. The first Will-O-Wisp misses which gave the opening for Clefable to come in. Clefable manages to land a burn with Fire Blast which messes with my Destiny Bond strategy. Clefable switches out for Azumarill and Gardevoir almost gets the KO with Moonblast+Thunderbolt. Klefki finishes it off with Flash Cannon but I'm left at the mercy of Fire Blast from Clefable, who finishes my remaining Pokemon.

Nooooo the tilt begins.

Day 2
I end the first day 7-3 and with a loss...since it's already Day 2 figured I might as well keep going to try to break out of this slump.

Battle 1
And now we get a Clefable lead. I switch into Gardevoir as this one just starts hitting hard with Fire Blast, but my Destiny Bond was foiled because of a Thunder Wave from Clefable. The rest of my team falls to Fire Blast, with M-Mawile hanging on to at least give me a KO on Clefable before it loses to Aqua Jet.

And it continues.
Battle 2
I was confused at first seeing the shiny Mawile lead, I thought I picked the wrong Pokemon but it turns out it was the opponent's. Learned my lesson on this matchup and went with a Flash Cannon before Klefki fainted, giving my own shiny M-Mawile an easy KO. Next is shiny Whimsicott, who went with Hidden Power instead of pranking me. No focus sash means an easy KO and it came down to their last Pokemon: shiny...Gardevoir!? I bring out my own and I won the speed tie (or outsped because of the Timid nature) and trade attacks until I was in Destiny Bond range.

Props to my shiny Pokemon for beating their counterparts and ending my tilt. Now back to planning for that Clefable lead...

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom