• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

shiny mew for trade

If I were you, I would keep the Mew and just wait for the event, that way I would get to keep both. Besides, people with Hoopa would have to exploit it in the game, and I would hate to considered as an exploiter.

I read online that someone received a hoopa over wonder trade and can anyone tell me how to tell if a pokemon is fake?

I read online that someone received a hoopa over wonder trade and can anyone tell me how to tell if a pokemon is fake?

That may have been the case for a couple of days when Nintendo were updating the servers in readiness for OR/AS, and somebody spotted that (hacked) Hoopa got past the GTS checks. But it can't happen now as I understand it unless at the very least the Hoopa has had its ribbon removed - as an event legend it's special ribbon prevents it from being traded over Wonder Trade or the GTS, even if it was hacked in the first place.

Now about spotting fakes, there is a thread on the forums for this if you need help, but there are a few things you can look out for to spot the obvious ones:

- If it's an event, does it have the right OT, ID number and ribbon (i.e. do they match the details of the event)? Does the "Date met" fall within the dates when the event was available? Is it in the right pokéball (which is almost always a Cherish Ball - the all-red one)? If it's an event from another region to yours, does the pokémon's nickname match the name in the language of that region? Is it shiny when the event is not-shiny (and vice-versa?)

- If it's a regular 'mon it gets a bit tougher because a "good" hack will be undetectable without using hacking tools yourself. But you can look for things like - does it have a ludicrously high or even a negative amount of experience? If it's a legendary, was it available in the region it says it came from? If it was bred does the hatch date match or come after the met date?

None of these are conclusive but in combination they can help. And as always, if it's too good to be true - it probably is.

That may have been the case for a couple of days when Nintendo were updating the servers in readiness for OR/AS, and somebody spotted that (hacked) Hoopa got past the GTS checks. But it can't happen now as I understand it unless at the very least the Hoopa has had its ribbon removed - as an event legend it's special ribbon prevents it from being traded over Wonder Trade or the GTS, even if it was hacked in the first place.

Now about spotting fakes, there is a thread on the forums for this if you need help, but there are a few things you can look out for to spot the obvious ones:

- If it's an event, does it have the right OT, ID number and ribbon (i.e. do they match the details of the event)? Does the "Date met" fall within the dates when the event was available? Is it in the right pokéball (which is almost always a Cherish Ball - the all-red one)? If it's an event from another region to yours, does the pokémon's nickname match the name in the language of that region? Is it shiny when the event is not-shiny (and vice-versa?)

- If it's a regular 'mon it gets a bit tougher because a "good" hack will be undetectable without using hacking tools yourself. But you can look for things like - does it have a ludicrously high or even a negative amount of experience? If it's a legendary, was it available in the region it says it came from? If it was bred does the hatch date match or come after the met date?

None of these are conclusive but in combination they can help. And as always, if it's too good to be true - it probably is.

Thank you for the help I may have to re think what to trade this mew for now

Is your shiny Mew legitimate? how did you receive it?

This. Definitely question the validity of your Mew. I had one for ages that I thought was legit, but I got curious and looked into it.
Two things to consider:

1) Check the trainer ID
Serebii.net Eventdex - #151 Mew Serebii has a magnificent event dex for each Pokemon outlining the movepool and OT of all event Mews. Barring the Old Sea Map Mew, each one has a specific Trainer ID. Mews with an OT NOT listed here are almost certainly hacked, because the Old Sea Map mew was only legitimately available on Japanese copies of the game. Players COULD have hacked the OSM into their international Emerald versions, but the event itself wasn't legit, therefor making the Mew non-legit as well (in the eyes of some. Others would argue that although the event was hacked the Mew was pre-coded). Also, this is the ONLY way to get a Shiny Mew, as you could Soft Reset until you got it to be Shiny.

NOTE: A HUGE amount of Shiny Mews have the OT name "ASH". This is a hacked Pokemon. A LOT of Pokemon with this OT are hacked.

2) Powersaves makes it simple to turn any pokemon shiny.
My ex had a Powersaves device and she used it to change her whole PC shiny (she wasn't that bright). So any recent event Mew with an aforementioned Event OT that's Shiny is a fraud. Most people, especially people on these forums, are genuine in their trading. They will be forthwith if a 'mon is altered in any way.

Where did you get the Mew from? If it has the clues of being an Old Sea Map Mew, I have a few shiny Legends I could trade you. Some are events (Shiny Event Dialga) but most are Soft Reset Mirage Spots from ORAS.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom