• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Shiny Pokemon That Look Exactly Like Their Normal Counterparts

Stranger than you dreamt
Reaction score
Let's take Garchomp, for example.

vs.

Wtf?

I guess if you look at the red in the middle, the shiny version's looks a little more orange, and the blue looks slightly darker, but there's no way anyone could tell which was which unless they had a side-by-side comparison.

I prefer shiny Pokemon that actually look like they're shiny.

Personally, if I ran into a shiny Gible, I'd feel jipped. Sure, the Pokemon's still shiny, but it looks almost exactly the same... so what's the point? The whole idea of having a shiny Pokemon is having a Pokemon that's a different color than the original...

vs.

See? Orange vs. Purple; it's easy to tell which is which here because shiny Magcargo is clearly NOT ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME.

I don't understand why the designer of the rest of the shiny colorations couldn't make a visible difference between normal Garchomp and shiny Garchomp. Did he just get lazy? He could have made it any color in the world and he decided to make it so similar it hurts my eyes trying to differentiate the two.

Why?

Last edited:
追放されたバカ
Reaction score
The Pikachu family's shiny colours aren't very different.

That Guy
Reaction score
Yeah, I've always felt that if the only variation between a Shiny Pokemon and the originals is only a slight darkening or lightening of the original color pallet, it's really not a Shiny.

Stranger than you dreamt
Reaction score
I know. Shiny Raichu just looks a little sunburnt.

I'm untouchable
Reaction score
Chinchou's normal and shiny are also pretty hard to tell apart.

Normal:

Shiny:

Reaction score
Seel and Dewgong.Normal Seel/Dewgong is soft blue and Shiny Seel/Dewgong is soft grey. There isn't too much diference, I had a Shiny seel in FR and I didn't notice it until I saw the shiny star xDU

And WTF seriously that garchomp is shiny?? xDU

Reaction score
I agree. If they're gonna make shiny Pokémon, may as well make them totally different. Scyther really pisses me off too. I thought it'd be cool if they made shiny Scyther red, but instead he's a darker green. Not as bad as Garchomp, but still messed up.

Phantasm
Reaction score
That's why I have never evolved the Shiny Geodude I came across early on in my Platinum. I LOVE that it's basically a golden nugget. The fact that Golem is only kind of orange-ish is annoying.

Nugget Geodude shall remain the way he is. Kthnx.

Reaction score
Scyther. Couldn't they have made it a different color at least?

now's the time to shine
Reaction score
Blissey and Blissey: Take a guess which one is shiny

edit: while we're at it:
and

Last edited:
Formerly GTT
Reaction score
No mention of Leafeon?

That's pretty bad

Reaction score
I think mabye the whole point of shinies is to make them look shiny, and they just got carried away.

Bulbapedia Administrator
Reaction score

Quite different.
Quite? You mean Major

Jigglypuff isn't much better....

Shiny:

Normal:

How can you not know the difference

Blissey and Blissey: Take a guess which one is shiny

edit: while we're at it:
and
Blissey's shiny is lighter. And I doubt you can't tell the difference between shiny and non shiny Snover

No mention of Leafeon?

That's pretty bad
Shiny's lighter

Studying Greek Mythology.
Reaction score
Chincou's are annoying, you can only tell if there shiny via there glow.