• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shiny Pokemon That Look Exactly Like Their Normal Counterparts

True, but at least with Reshiram there's a noticeable color difference, unlike with Garchomp.

True, but at least with Reshiram there's a noticeable color difference, unlike with Garchomp.

You know what's a shame? They didn't make the shinies invert colours (i.e. black Reshiram, white Zekrom). That would have been totally badass. And it would have been noticeable.

Hello! Shiny Reshiram has BEAUTIFUL purple flames. D8 I have one, how lovely they are!

That is a plainly obvious hack, sir.

@Zekurom: color inversion would have been awesome! I would have loved that, as would have the fandom.

Someone's probably mentioned it already, but muthafucking Bidoof! It is literally two shades lighter when it's shiny. A shiny one broke my chain when I was after a shiny Starly, and I almost turned my game off without catching it because I didn't realize at first that it was a shiny! It was insane! @.@ My one and only shiny from chaining, and I wasn't even looking for that particular Pokemon....

BEARTIC. It doesn't look much different at all and every time I offer mine over GTS Negotiations, no one recognizes that it's shiny. Quite annoying. Also Glalie. The Snorunt was so obviously shiny but when it evolved, the eyes go from blue to red and that's it. Unless you're pretty familiar with what Glalie looks like, it's really hard to tell.

Leafeon and Glaceon compared to their shiny forms look pretty much the same except a slightly altered shade. Same with Articuno and Zapdos.

I think Glaceon's shiny form looks quite nice, actually. It makes it look like pure ice. I still think it's lazy, but it's good laziness.

And stop complaining about Zekrom and Reishram. There's no coding in the game to make them shiny, the only reason the sprites are there is to prevent the game crashing if someone hacks one. Also, changing the colors majorly would make the classifications nonsensical ("Vast White", "Deep Black") and ruin the whole yin-yang theme.

Everyone's complaining about how it sucks that some shinies look identical to their normal forms, and yes, it sucks. Especially when it's a game with trashy shiny sparkles, so you don't realize it's shiny until it dies.
But I've gotta say...
It sucks even more to confuse one of the several hundred feint/faint attack/feint attack moves because Game Freak can't name Pokemon moves, and use one of them that kills your first ever random encounter shiny you spent 5 months looking for when you wanted to bring it down to 1 health.
Which is why the best way to shiny hunt is to not use your master ball (or master balls if you're playing one of the games that gives you two) on the legendary and just save it for a shiny. Especially if it's a random encounter double battle in Black 2 and you see a shiny Patrat next to a shiny Pidove.

I wonder how many people have used a master ball on a shiny that wasn't the legendary of the game. I would 100% do it, honestly.

Leafeon and Glaceon compared to their shiny forms look pretty much the same except a slightly altered shade. Same with Articuno and Zapdos.
Leafeon is a valid complaint, sure, but Glaceon is NOT THAT CLOSE! Nor is Articuno! Use your eyes! Articuno: Their body turns icy blue rather than a sky shade. Glaceon: It's not greenish anymore and it has highlights of deep blue now. I'm sorry if I seem angry, but these two look significantly different from their shinies. It might just be because I spend so much time drawing that I pick up on the differences, but they don't seem that small that a living, breathing human with eyes that work well could not tell that one was shiny and the other one was not.

At first, Elekid's shiny color was noticeable in the GSC games, but since then, its colors seem to have been switched around and become more indistinguishable from its normal form, especially in the 3D games. Electabuzz and Electivire are fine, but someone really should have put more effort into making Elekid's shiny form more distinguished from its normal form.

After looking through the shinys of the new forms and Pokemon in gen 8, I think there's fewer lookalikes compared to past generations. There really isn't any sort of Genger-shiny situation outside of maybe Galarian Farfetch'd. But anways, here are some Pokemon that I thought had similar shinys. It's not a very exhaustive list.
083-g.png
083-g.png
824.png
824.png
835.png
835.png
842.png
842.png

does anyone here knows what those blue checkpoints do? whenever I tap on them 30 times it gives me this red ballsack.
Are you talking about Pokemon GO? If so, you should probably check out this thread here. It's a thread specifically for short questions about GO.
I also think shiny lukalio looks just alike.
Is Lukalio a misspelling of Lucario? I wouldn't exactly say the shiny and non-shiny form look alike, though I have noticed that the yellow and blue on its body swap places in the shiny form.
Spr_4d_448.png
Spr_4d_448_s.png
pixil-frame-0 (7).png
(last image is a swap of regular Lucario's blue and yellow for comparison)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom