• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shiny Pokémon via Masuda method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazevoir

._.
Reaction score
Since there's a thread for Pokéradar and Soft reseting, why not one for obsessive egg hatching?

[bp=Masuda method]Check here for details.[/bp] Basically, you take two Pokémon from games of different languages and breed them and the chance that the offspring will hatch shiny is 1/2048 (4× the usual rate). This method makes it easier to get shiny Pokémon with egg moves. I'm not completely sure but I've heard that the Everstone will not work with this method, meaning that natures won't be passed on.

So, what shiny Pokémon have you caught with this method and how many eggs did it take?

I obtained my shiny Chikorita on my 171st egg.

IN GENERATION 5 ONLY:
The odds of getting a shiny with this method are now 6/8192 (6× the usual rate). The Everstone now works on natures so you can pass on natures with foreign Pokémon.

Last edited:
I've been passively doing this with Eevee. I've almost permanently* parked a Japanese Ditto and English Eevee in the day care. Though I haven't counted the eggs, I still haven't gotten a shiny yet.

*The only time they come out is if I'm breeding other pokemon for trade.

So if i get a German magikarp and another pkmn in same egg group it will be increased shiny chance?

I've been working hard at doing this I hatched about 50 feebases and not one of them have been shiny I'm now trying with a snorlax

I've been doing this off and on with Cyandquil. No luck so far =(

With respect to shinies and breeding, what would the odds be if,
Shiny (Foreign) Ditto and a Shiny Pokemon? Would the odds of encountering increase?? Or remain the same for the Masuda method?

Being shiny doesn't increase the odds that the offspring will be shiny so it would be the same odds as a non-shiny foreign Ditto and a non-shiny Pokémon.

Ohhh, an interesting method. :3 I may have to try this sometime~

I got a shiny Feebas this way. I got it pretty early (I don't know how many eggs exactly).I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize the everstone didn't work with the matusda method. Fortunately I got it with the nature I wanted (Bold). I probably won't use this method to often as I play somewhat competitively and I can't control for natures. I may use it for Rotom and a few others though.

P.S. Thanks for the heads up on the Magikarp thing, that was on my list of things to try to get. I may just wait until HGSS comes out and get a shiny Gyrados off that (hopefully it'll still be in the game).

Does any one have a Japanese Tentacool? I wanna try my luck combined with my Sheer determination to get a Shiny Tentacool...

I can offer stuff... I guess...

Ha i tried to get a shiny eevee via this method. I got a level 1 japenese eevee and put it with my lvl 1 female eevee. I gave up after i had filled and released 32 (im not kidding) full boxes of unshiny eevees. By the time i took them out of the daycare the eevees were both at level 94. It was not worth the time and money.
So good luck with this method - me, ive given up on shinies all together :p

Ha i tried to get a shiny eevee via this method. I got a level 1 japenese eevee and put it with my lvl 1 female eevee. I gave up after i had filled and released 32 (im not kidding) full boxes of unshiny eevees. By the time i took them out of the daycare the eevees were both at level 94. It was not worth the time and money.
So good luck with this method - me, ive given up on shinies all together :p

at least you have 2 level 94 eevees. :p

Does any one have a Japanese Tentacool? I wanna try my luck combined with my Sheer determination to get a Shiny Tentacool...

I can offer stuff... I guess...

You're better off finding a foreign language Ditto, being that it can breed with everything. It's much more efficient, and If I recall correctly, natures and moves don't pass down through this method.

Hey just wondering...

I saw that you mentioned that both Pokemon need to be from foreign language games.

I've been using a Japanese Ditto and an English (American) Absol that my friend brought over through the Pal Park from Emerald. I've hatched over 300 eggs and still no shiny. Now, I'm not impatient. I'll keep hatching until I get the shiny. I just want to know if I'm doing it wrong.

Is there going to be a problem since the Absol is from an English language game?

My other question is..

Can I breed this Japanese Ditto with the Lucario I received from Riley (as the Riolu egg) on my own cartridge? Or will the odds of getting a shiny not be lowered since the Lucario was generated on my cartridge?

Sorry if this is a little confusing, it's 3am haha.

Thanks!

You only need one foreign parent to the Masuda Method. If they are the same nationality, they cancel out.

You only need one foreign parent to the Masuda Method. If they are the same nationality, they cancel out.

Although the Bulbapedia page for the method states that you can't use Pokemon from your own game.

I'm an idiot, so does this basically mean I can use any Pokemon, as long as it isn't from my cartridge or of the same nationality as the other?

Although the Bulbapedia page for the method states that you can't use Pokemon from your own game.

I'm an idiot, so does this basically mean I can use any Pokemon, as long as it isn't from my cartridge or of the same nationality as the other?

Bulbapedia says you can't use 2 pokemon from your game, you can get a Magikarp from the Meister. The Magikarp from Meister counts as the same language as your game and not a foreign poke even though Meister is a foreigner.

For the Matsuda method to work you just need two pokemon from different languages, 1x can be your language from your game (English I assume) then the other must be from a French/German/Japanese/other game.

You're better off finding a foreign language Ditto, being that it can breed with everything. It's much more efficient, and If I recall correctly, natures and moves don't pass down through this method.

Moves do, I've had a Japanese Seviper pass poison fang to a baby Mawile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom