• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shiny Pokémon with the Pokéradar

Status
Not open for further replies.
This method seems very effective in getting shiny Pokemon, as evidenced by the joyous and somewhat agog posts in this thread, but I must ask...does anyone else feels this takes out the...how to put it...ebullience of finding a shiny Pokemon by happenstance? I might try this out, but I'm not particularly interested in losing the feeling of luckiness- the moment where my breath freezes for a second because I've found something quite rare. Maybe it's just me, but this method seems to remove some of the adventure and accomplishment that makes a shiny Pokemon encounter such a memorable and amusing event.

Shuko, thank you so much for this guide. I had never really tried chaining that much before so my chaining record was only around 4 or 5. After seeing how crazy people were getting about shinies, I decided to try catching one and this post was the first thing google came up with. Following your guide, I got 2 chains of around 12, and then a chain of 45 for a shiny skitty.

Basically, I made an account here just to thank you cause I was so happy about getting the skitty.

This method seems very effective in getting shiny Pokemon, as evidenced by the joyous and somewhat agog posts in this thread, but I must ask...does anyone else feels this takes out the...how to put it...ebullience of finding a shiny Pokemon by happenstance? I might try this out, but I'm not particularly interested in losing the feeling of luckiness- the moment where my breath freezes for a second because I've found something quite rare. Maybe it's just me, but this method seems to remove some of the adventure and accomplishment that makes a shiny Pokemon encounter such a memorable and amusing event.

I don't feel that way, pesronally. I know a lot of people who have played over a combined 500+ hours and never ONCE ran into a shiney. I think, especially for those people, that it's a startlingly pleasant revelation.

Also, it's very exciting. When I reached my 40 chain and saw that shiny patch of glass I almost dropped my DS. I shouted to my friend over IM, I was all "YES. YES, I GOT IT!!" and he was too lazy to try for one.

Sadly I had no such luck when I tried again with Stunky ;__; I think I wore my patience out yesterday. But one shiny in a day is still amazing!

I also disagree.

Wouldn't you also feel the same way finding a Pokemon with this technique? I know I certainly will, as, I have NEVER, EVER run into a shiny Pokemon. EVER.

When I find my shiny Nincada, I will be so happy that the time I put into looking for it will pay off.

Last edited:
Also, it's very exciting. When I reached my 40 chain and saw that shiny patch of glass I almost dropped my DS. I shouted to my friend over IM, I was all "YES. YES, I GOT IT!!" and he was too lazy to try for one.

OMG! Jean you are posting here! <3 What shiny did you get?

And yeah, I have to agree with you and Sketch, it doesn't make it less exciting than finding one by coincidence aka the normal method (if you call that a method :p ). *nodnod*

Status report. :p I just got my sixth Pokeradar shiny: a lovely little Zigzagoon I've affectionately named "Sparkler" :p Ziggies are my second favorite Pokemon, coming second only to Clefairy (darn you non-swarming clefairies... you will be mine!). This makes my second shiny Ziggy, but the first one I've gotten legitimately, lol. The first one I got came to me at level fifty from a guy on GameFAQs who hacked it, lol.

What's great about my new Ziggy is that it came with pickup. I'd have been really disappointed if it had had the gluttony ability. =x

Odd how this is my sixth pokeradar shiny, and I only needed a chain of six to get it. ^-^

Hey Kasumi! Yeah I.. made an account here like, this time last year but neve rposted much. I'm not a frequent forumer, anymore... but Bulbagarden seems small and quaint enough.

I got a Shinx. I thought I'd try for something easy first. XD

Congrats on the Zigzagoon, Shuko. I kinda wanna go for a Snorunt because I really find Frosslass' shiny colours much prettier than it's default, but I'd have to luck out and get a female. ;_; plus I wanna train it, so I'd need a decent nature for it too. Hummmn. My Shinx has a bad nature for a Shinx, but, oh well. XD

^ Is that typing? It kind of looks like he's smashing his face against his keyboard.

extreme crap

I need to be more respectful? I'm not the one cussing, screaming in caps, and acting like a retard. I said two words. You're the one being annoying here. :/

EDIT: You use "words" that don't even exist, and shorthands such as "u" on forums as well. Just thought I'd add.

Hmm.well I'm Thinkin If Ur Pmsin O Wait Ur 13 Arent U?av U Even Started Puberty Anewayz I Dont Kno Why The Hell U Had To Choose My Shit To Comment On. There Was Sum1 Else Dat Didnt Answer Ur Question . O And If Ur Annoyed By The Way I Write I Dont Giv A Fuck Aight. So Go Ahead And Call Me Ghetto Or Wateva U Wanna But Dis Is How A Lot Of Ppl Writ On Da Int.. Or R U Too Much Of A Loser To Hav A Myspace. Cuz All Ppl That R Popular Hav A Myspace.and Guess Wat>a Lot Of Dem Writ Just Lik Me.i Lik To Shorten Up Wat I Hav To Write And Use Slang.a.m.a.p~as Much As Possible.lol So Dont Bother Postin Anythin Else Cuz I'm Probably Just Goin To Ignore It.lol.>laughin Out Loud.
So Peace Out
Mmm....

Hmm.well I'm Thinkin If Ur Pmsin O Wait Ur 13 Arent U?av U Even Started Puberty Anewayz I Dont Kno Why The Hell U Had To Choose My Shit To Comment On. There Was Sum1 Else Dat Didnt Answer Ur Question . O And If Ur Annoyed By The Way I Write I Dont Giv A Fuck Aight. So Go Ahead And Call Me Ghetto Or Wateva U Wanna But Dis Is How A Lot Of Ppl Writ On Da Int.. Or R U Too Much Of A Loser To Hav A Myspace. Cuz All Ppl That R Popular Hav A Myspace.and Guess Wat>a Lot Of Dem Writ Just Lik Me.i Lik To Shorten Up Wat I Hav To Write And Use Slang.a.m.a.p~as Much As Possible.lol So Dont Bother Postin Anythin Else Cuz I'm Probably Just Goin To Ignore It.lol.>laughin Out Loud.
So Peace Out
Mmm....
Please don't spam up my thread with this swill. :( I've got news for you, bub. It's not necessarily Myspace people who type like that (although a lot of them do, leading to Myspace's notorious reputation for being a haven for idiots). Lazy people do. If you can't be arsed to type out an entire word, you obviously don't have much business saying anything at all.

That being said, this isn't a thread for arguing. If you have anything you'd like to say to me or anyone else that doesn't involve the Pokeradar and shiny hunting, kindly address it in a PM or PMs.

That's true, making shiny Pokemon more common make them lose their real "value".

But the Radar way perhaps adds some merit to obtaining shinies, as its more a consequence of your effort, while the luck way isn't.

If you have never had a shiny, you may find the latter reason more convincing. But we could all end up having 3 shiny Spoink, two shiny Kecleon, a shiny Spinda, etc. not to mention GTS, and then ask ourselves whether it makes us feel they are that special or not.

It's like the blue Ditto breeding back in GSC. You get your chances from 1/8192 to 1/64 due to IV inheritance. Many people ended up with many shinies, but shinies perhaps were something less "valuable" due to its easier obtaining.

The "value" of a shiny Pokemon is not its different color, is not their twinkling: it's what you feel about them. As with every and each other Pokemon.

The "value" of a shiny Pokemon is not its different color, is not their twinkling: it's what you feel about them. As with every and each other Pokemon.

Concurred. Any capture of a Pokemon one likes is an accomplishment.

To Sketch and Jean: I see your point, guys. I can't say I'm one of those people who have been unfortunate enough to never find a shiny Pokemon. I've had...eh...borderline to decent luck with it, and perhaps therein lies a bias of some sort.

There's certainly still an element of fortuity blended with an aura of accomplishment to it nonetheless. I just think this method changes the overall good feeling about catching a shiny Pokemon from equal parts luck and skill (to capture) to a feeling of much more skill (to capture, and moreso to follow the method properly) and much less luck (a definiteively more likely chance of even initially finding a shiny Pokemon).

It's not that I'm bashing this method, these opinions are just my two cents.

Hey Kasumi! Yeah I.. made an account here like, this time last year but neve rposted much. I'm not a frequent forumer, anymore... but Bulbagarden seems small and quaint enough.

I got a Shinx. I thought I'd try for something easy first. XD

Aaaah, so cute. I love how shiny Shinx looks. ^^

Jean said:
Congrats on the Zigzagoon, Shuko. I kinda wanna go for a Snorunt because I really find Frosslass' shiny colours much prettier than it's default, but I'd have to luck out and get a female. ;_; plus I wanna train it, so I'd need a decent nature for it too. Hummmn. My Shinx has a bad nature for a Shinx, but, oh well. XD

You could always use the Synch Abra trick. Try to get an Abra with the right nature for Frosslass and the ability Synchronize, your chances of getting the one go up with that, IIRC.

Another way to get a baby with the nature you want is to give the mother an Everstone before putting in the breeding center. I think that gives the babies a 50% chance of having the mother's nature. This also applies if the mother is a Ditto.

I hadn't played my game for a few days due to life stuffs, but today I decided to chain for shiny Surskits and I managed to get TWO :D At first I was a bit worried that I wouldn't come across one in time as I was soon to go shopping and I wasn't getting any shinies chained at 41, luckily at 47 I managed to get one, chained for a bit longer and also got one at 53 :D One is female the other is male~

This one is the female which I'm keeping, the male I'm keeping to trade to any of my close friends who want it XD

I'm still having no luck with Buizel, those of you who have gotten shinies at low chains are lucky, I never seem to get them until I'm about 40 and up XD

So..

you get a chain of say.. 14..
to get the shiny to appear you just keep resetting after you've picked the number to stop at?

Well, to prove that luck is still an important factor, I got a chain of over 50 today and then just kept resetting but still no shiny. x.x; I eventually had to stop when I ran out of repels (and I originally had over 200 or something).

PDUTogepi, you're so lucky. Surskit's one of the shiny Pokemon I've been looking for since R/S first came out. Shiny Masquerain looks really awesome. I'll have to try and go for that one next time I get a swarm of one.

*starts drooling at the thought of Surskit*

I CANNOT seem to get a chain to work for me! I know I'm so very NOT cautious, the highest I got was 37. MUST.... CATCH.... SHINY...

Hoping for a good shiny tomorrow. One that's good in battle, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom