• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shiny Pokémon with the Pokéradar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Shiny Pokemon with the Pokeradar

I scored myself another Beldum the last time it swarmed......

Rash nature, rubbish IV's. Ah Well. Maybe next time.

Shiny Pokemon with the Pokeradar

Hey im new here & i have never caught a shiny (besides Gyradous) I was recently trying to chain & they always got away after 20 so my question is what is the easiest pokemon to chain?

Absol swarmed yesterday! I want a shiny one so bad, unfortunately I suck at chaining and only had my first success earlier this week with a shiny Shinx...I've set the DS clock back so it's still the 1st of July until I get a bloody Absol!

I'm so excited! Yesterday I decided I would try and start/learn how to chain pokemon, and not too long ago today I managed to nab 2 shiny kricketot (Both a male and a female)! They've got good/decent IVs, but I'm mostly just excited to have them! :D

I wonder what I can chain next??

Eon Master: swarming pokemon are easier as they have a high encounter rate. Any pokemon with a high encounter rate makes good practice. think bidoof, shinx, shellos. Also look for places with large patches of grass. Route 222, where skitty swarm, has a full 10x10 patch. That would be a good place to start, as you would not have to worry about edges.
(edit: I haven't posted the link in a few pages, but it is awsome and I will continue to post it ;-) Check out Totoro's guide to chaining, it is the best that I have found and really has helped a lot of us learn to do this: http://totorosinsights.weebly.com/ )

Congrats on the caught shinies guys :)

Absol are bloody hard to chain, tried all day, highest chain was 20. :( I think I'll go back and see if I can get another shiny Shinx or something...

It's been a long while, so some updates.

-Like wavemastr elk, I also started chaining the dreaded eevee's again after I played through SS. I got a chain of 37 (where I decided I'd start resetting) pretty early. First shiny patch was on the edge and it broke my chain. I was going to give it up for a while then 2 of my friends bugged me to catch them each 1 so I did. Took me a day, found 1 shiny eevee not in a shiny patch, and another shiny patch on the edge (same one actually) that again broke my chain. I'm done with eevee chains for a while. -_-

-Started making a team for the VGC's and found out that Snover's have a high appearance rate at Lake Acuity (45%) and it doesn't snow there! Took me a few chains, planned on catch 20 or so to get one that would be usable, only got 6. One is decent, but not is good as my non-shiny so I used that.

- Caught a bunch of shiny shinx to get my SID to start RNG abusing for shinies in Diamond.

- Just today, got in the mood to chain, saw Farfetch'd was swarming and caught 4 of those.

- I've recently decided because of the RNG stuff, and the fact that I have SR'ed for shiny Darkrai and Shaymin to go for a shiny Pokedex. Not even sure if this is possible because I don't think it's possible to get a legit shiny english Celebi.

-I have extra shiny Beldums still. I have extra shiny Bronzors, Shinx, Snover, Oddish, Farfetch'd, PM me if interested.

TIP for some of the new people:
-Shinx with a static pokemon is crazy easy to chain. Geodude during the day on rt 207 in platinum also very easy (I think 70% appearance rate). I recommend starting there because of how easy the are and they look cool shiny.

Last edited:

Ok im getting the hang of it :) chain of 16 then i went into a corner :(

Ok im getting the hang of it :) chain of 16 then i went into a corner :(

i've dug out my copy of diamond to chain Ditto (i can RNG breed the others but obviously not ditto!) so wish me luck...

I was fairly successful at chaining (alas, no shinies, but several chains of 40), but right now I'm soft resetting for a Shiny Mewtwo -- looking forward to resuming chaining lol.

I'm going to print these guidelines out and carry them with me everywhere I go. XD

Today Magnemite were swarming at Fuego Ironworks and I thought I'd go and try to chain some; well, my chains kept breaking so I chained Wingull there instead. Right now I'm at 43 (I've caught 3 shiny ones) and just thought I'd mention that on the last reset TWO shiny patches appeared at the same time o_O
One was on a corner though, so I knew which one I wanted to go for ;)
I'll post again once my chain ends.

Sorry Silver Azalea, I'm going to sound like a story topping jerk here (but I promise I don't mean to be).

Magnemite swarmed for me today, I got my chain to 40 on the first try and caught 6 shinies.

I was going to post a little earlier midway through my chain to comment that I have yet to see two shiny patches appear at the same time as I know quite a few have. I told myself 1 more reset and I'll take a quick break and post, then boom 2 shiny patches, ironically like Silver Azalea's, one was on the edge.

Congratz on the shiny Wingull's Silver Azalea, and all the other the other shinies everyone else has caught recently.

If you want Silver Azalea, I'd gladly trade you one of my shiny Magnemites?

^ Congrats guys.

Coincidentally, my attempts to get a usable shiny Beldum have finally born fruit. It's as follows:

Adamant Nature,
IV's:
HP 4,
Atk 16,
Def 2
SpA 24
SpDef 16
Spe 5

I actually encoutered 3 of them, but the one above I was was forced to use my sole Master Ball on after a HUGE battle where I attempted to catch it via conventional means, and had to MB it when it started to struggle.
The other two knocked themselves out with struggle, sadly.

The one I have caught may not be spectacular, but it is capable of doing what I want it too, so I'm going to stick with it.

On a completely off topic note, I've also enoutered my first ever random shiny. I found it while surfing on the Lake of Rage in HG...... Magikarp.
The IV's were rubbish and it had a lonely nature, so my SR'd Jolly good IV's Red Gyarados is infinitely superior. Still, shinies are shinies, and I like having complete sets of evos shiny.

My last 3 chains have been pretty easy (Magnemite, Farfetch'd, and Shinx, from most recent) so I think I'm going to go for a challenge in the near future. Prolly Nidoran(m) in Diamond, with it's whopping 2% appearance rate. Shiny Nidoking is friggin awesome!

YAY! I got my first successful chain today of Skitty (A chain of 44, 3 shinies)! Natures: Impish, Docile, and Hasty. Anyway, this is the first of many successes. I've been having problems with them before and I finally got some! haha!

Edit: unfortunately, they've got crappy IVs :(

Last edited:

Decided to start chaining Ralts because I need Synchers in my restart of Diamond yet. Got my chain to 40 on my first try (man, I'm on a roll thats my 3rd 1-shot 40 chain in a row, granted the last 2 chains were easy), and maybe even more lucky, I found 2 shiny patches on the way there (1 at 24, the other at 37):banana:

I'll post again when the chain ends...

So, I summed up all the information I've seen on catching shinies (a lot of it from Skye) and created a pretty handy method of chaining. I've been at it for about an hour now, and it seems to be working.
Step 1: Wrap the top of your DS with cling-film. Make it tight.
Step 2: Draw this on the film in sharpie:

The dots and lines, that is. Not the coloured boxes.
Red is highest priority. If no red, go for yellow. If you feel like being conservative, don't go for yellow and reset if there are no red. Don't touch anything outside of these spots.

This isn't so much of a new technique, it just makes it a lot easier to see which spots to go to. Try it out and post the results :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom