• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shiny Pokémon with the Pokéradar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey im new to the forum,
I've been trying to chain a 'Larvitar' for a few days now, my highest chain is 33, until 'Geodude' suddernly came along and broke my chain, im just wondering, could u perhaps just get up to a chain of 30+ and keep resetting the radar till u have a shiny patch appear on your screen? i really want 'Larvitar' then i can get used to catching shinies and practise on other pokemon.

Also, im sorry for yet another question but, im looking for a shiny 'Dratini' how would i go about getting a shiny one as I've heard your not able to chain on water or in caves, any help would be appriciated,

Thanks in advance,
EujinChan

I'm pretty sure that this method works. The NPC in Sandgem (Dawn if you're a guy, Lucas if you're a girl) hints at finding shiny Pokémon using the PokéRadar. However, every time I've tried this I have not gotten any shinies. So all of my [legit] shinies are ones that I randomly encountered without using the PokéRadar.

Woah I haven't posted here in a while. o_O
Anyways, for quite a while I wasn't doing so good with my chaining and took a long break. However, I just managed to catch 2 shiny bunearys...! 8D ...Then It was taking forever for the 3rd to appear so I thought I could continue the chain to make the waiting time less boring... It obviously broke... X'D LOL
Oh well, 2 is better than none!

@Godspeed95:
Congrats on the ponytas and wurmples! XD

@Spiral Static:
Congrats on the bibarel, even though you weren't really looking for it. LOL XD Whenever I break a chain at 40, I try to convince myself that if I've done it before I can do it again... X'D

@EujinChan:
If you get a chain up to 33 you can start reseting for shinies but it might take a while for one to appear... The best number to start reseting for shinies is 40 because that is as high as the chances get.
(The chance can still increase after 40 but hardly much so it isn't worth the trouble. XD)
And for the shiny dratini, your only chance of getting one would be a random encounter or through breeding. Though for breeding you need to use that special way where one of the parent pokemon needs to be from another country... ;/ You will also need to hatch lots of eggs, but it's still possible.

Got a shiny Bidoof after a chain of 4 the chain broke at 6 and was a bidoof but whatever at least its shiny :D

Got a shiny Bidoof after a chain of 4 the chain broke at 6 and was a bidoof but whatever at least its shiny :D

Congrats! I wish I could have a shiny appear that early in a chain! O.O My most quickly caught shiny was a meowth on a chain somewhere around 14-20. ;/

@Orangesage

-Thanks for replying, i'll have another go at it tonight...hopefully i can get my chain to 33 haha, i've been finding it really hard lately (im easily distracted :p)

as for the shiny dratini, i think i'll have to leave that one haha, im inpatient for the breeding techneques and the random encounter :)

Also ive been wondering, if u have encountered a shiny through a chain will the odds be better for you, as people have started encountering shinys at lower chains, just a theory of mine :)

Thanks in advance
EujinChan

My recent shiny was a Chatot that I caught 3 days ago.

Congrats! I wish I could have a shiny appear that early in a chain! O.O My most quickly caught shiny was a meowth on a chain somewhere around 14-20. ;/
One time I was at Route 226 I turned on the pokeradar and the first pokemon that appeared was a shiny Machoke o_O

My recent shiny was a Chatot that I caught 3 days ago.

One time I was at Route 226 I turned on the pokeradar and the first pokemon that appeared was a shiny Machoke o_O

same happened with me dude!

so there i was bored thinking "hey i'll try (& fail) again for a shiny ditto" off i went to the trophy garden - fired up the pokeradar & first patch looked all normal turned out there was a random encounter level 22 female shiny staravia lurking in there!

spore / false swipe / repeat ball / GOTCHA!

gentle nature (+SpD/-Def) ugh pretty bad but at least not -Spe or -Atk

IV's: 4/14/17/27/3/12 - pretty dire... i don't care i LOVE random encounter shiny pokemon!!! now to nickname & EV train this dude

no shiny patch just a random encounter :-/

i have never found a shiny before 40. a few days ago i caught 3 shiny shinx (same chain) and two shiny abra's (same chain) one of the abra's is modest :)

It's been a while since I've chained with the intent to get a shiny (I've mostly been using it for ev training and not trying too hard keep it going). A couple weeks ago I decided to level my raticate on the swarming voltorbs and found the first shiny patch I had seen in a long time. Unsurprisingly, since I wasn't all that prepared for the possibility of a shiny, it blew itself up. :c

However I just got a shiny meditite (number 15 in the chain even) so I guess my luck is not all that bad. :3

Once i was chaining for Meditite and i got up to 40, but a Chingling broke it. Then, as i walked away, i got a random shiny Meditite encounter!

I had just finished chaining for a ponyta, I had started resetting. When I started resetting, I still had 40 Max Repels! But no shiny patches showed up. I ran out of Max repels. When I took one step, I saw a normal Kricketune.

I swear, Kricketune haunts me. Ever sine I saw that random encounter shiny Kricketune on my birthday.....it appears whenever I fail at chaining a pokemon, or whenever a shiny escapes me. That might be partly because the pokemon I want always live in an area with Kricketune.

One day.....I will have my revenge. Probably tomorrow. Shiny Kricketune, you shall be MINE! :evil: Let the shiny Kricketune chaining begin! /end rant

EDIT: On 3/31/2011, I was about to chain for my Kricketune, when I saw a Castform. I decided to chain it. As soon as I got to a chain of 39, the Kricketune broke my chain! I swear, Kricketunes are plotting my death. xD
lol I now hate Kricketunes even more.....

Last edited:
I was chaining for a shiny Dunsparce after failed chains of Drowzee and Skitty (notably) until I got to 40. I resetted about 13 times before the shiny patch appeared. Caught the Shiny - named it RedOne (look it up). Then right when I tried for more, Budew broke my chain.

i got my first shiny in my platinum at a chain of 17. took that chain to 40 got bored resetting for another and kept going at 54 another shiny popped had no idea that houndour had roar but i got one at 17. as it stands thats still my only shiny despite event entei. now im trying for a shiny tyrogue

i got my first shiny in my platinum at a chain of 17. took that chain to 40 got bored resetting for another and kept going at 54 another shiny popped had no idea that houndour had roar but i got one at 17. as it stands thats still my only shiny despite event entei. now im trying for a shiny tyrogue

Congrats!

I wonder how long it will take for this thread to slowly die out as BW becomes popular. Although people will want shiny pokemon to migrate.

I've never gotten anything below 40 pokemon.

I've gotten so many failed chains since Dunsparce, it's not even funny...and they were all in the thirties. :dumb:

I might try chaining for a shiny Ponyta again. Last time I tried, I got a chain of 16 but a Stunky broke it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom