• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shiny Pokémon with the Pokéradar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wonder why does some people refuses to stop chaining after they reach 40 on the chain. Something I dont know about?
I don't often visit bulbagarden, and I don't think I've ever been on the forums before, but I signed up to answer this question. I'm certainly no chaining pro, my best is 39 and I've seen chains close to 200. The normal rate of appearance for shinies is 1/8192, but when you're chaining the chances increase over time. By how much you might ask, well that's not a very difficult formula. The chance of finding a shiny when using the pokeradar is 1/(8200-200x) where x is the current chain. When you use the pokeradar the first time, you start at 1/8200, slightly higher than normal, but at that point you don't have a chain yet. After that it's only getting better. The reason people stop at 40 is because at that point the chances have gotten as good as they're going to get: 1/200. If you count the 4 patches and do a little calculation that's a 1.985% chance of finding a shiny (much much better than .0001220% chance in a normal random encounter). So, as I've been advised but have not yet been able to practice, when you get to 40 stop looking for favorable patch arrangements and begin resetting the radar for shiny patches. I've been lucky and gotten a caterpie on a chain of 8 and a ralts on a chain of 32, and I bow to those who have gotten to 40, you guys must be really good. Good luck every body, and if you have any questions, ask and I'll do my best.

If this has already been explained in this thread, I'm sorry. I haven't read that much of it.

Yes, that's exactly what my point is, arcanumghost. What you've explained nicely are what we have talked about in this thread. The chances of encountering a shiny patch are just the same when the chain reaches 40 or more. Thanks anyway for the explaination. :)

Hehe, a single word in that sentence escaped me, I thought you were wondering why people stopped instead of why people didn't stop. Again, my bad, hopefully it'll be useful to somebody. Despite what my old signature says, I'm currently hunting shinx and having little luck. My highest has been 32, lowest 1 -.-, and average 16. I think I'm still trying patch combinations that break chains and resetting combinations that do continue. Live and learn, gonna go chain some more.

Hey thanks for that information, that helped my understanding a lot!
I only started chaining a few days ago, my best is 25 spoink. Lol I used your formula to try and find what the chances of a shiny were on that amount and it was 1/3200. Better start practicing haha.

Lessez les bon temps roulez!!

Wow! Congrats to everyone on their successes and even to you guys with your failures. Believe me it will teach you what NOT to do if you want 40+ chains. So far since I last posted I have caught 1 shiny snubble, 4 shiny smeargles and am working on getting some shiny pidgeys. After a while when you get to understand this chaining concept you don't get so upset when a chain breaks. You know how to restart a chain a lot faster as you get more familiar with the rules. Goodwill hunting to all of the hunters old and new (of which I am one). And hopefully one day I'll be so good I could chain in the blizzard of route
217:p

Why aren't you just stopping at 40 and resetting for shiny patches only? Do you just think that's too boring or do you not believe that the odds stop increasing at 40?

This is going to sound slightly crazy, but I'm actually better at chaining than resetting. When I try to reset the Radar, I usually end up run into something that kills my streak. >.< Weird, I admit.

Well in any case, congrats on finding what you were looking for! I'm so jealous that you got a hasty one. Half of the ones I caught were modest (which is okay I guess but screws up explosion), and I wasn't even synching for that (actually I wasn't synching for anything).

I honestly didn't think I'd get such a good Nature. The lead Pokémon in the party (a Gardevoir) had a Sassy Nature with Synchronize. I thought for sure I'd get a Voltorb with something similar. I nearly fell over when I saw it was Hasty. Talk about luck.

Now if only I can get lucky on Beldum swarm.

I tried finding Nidoran(m) last night, but to no prevail. Man they're hard, even to find one. I gave up and tried hatching Rotoms for a shiny one. Again, failure is all I ended up with. But at least I have 10 Modest Rotom. :p. The best IV is 26,30,31,21,14,21(Ghost HP 54).

Well good luck, I know how you feel with the Nidoran family. Nidoran (f) is hard enough to chain in Diamond, much less Nidoran (m). I also know how you feel about hatching eggs. Is it just me or does it seem like so many people have been able to hatch shinies, despite the odds apparently not being any different? I've hatched close to 900 eggs and haven't seen a shiny, but then again, I wouldn't expect to assuming that the odds are 1/8192. It would be nice though!

So far since I last posted I have caught 1 shiny snubble, 4 shiny smeargles and am working on getting some shiny pidgeys.

Nice job, I've tried chaining Smeargles before but with no luck. Did you get any good natures? I'll have to try them again some time.

This is going to sound slightly crazy, but I'm actually better at chaining than resetting. When I try to reset the Radar, I usually end up run into something that kills my streak. >.< Weird, I admit.

Heh, that does sound weird. Well, whatever works for you. You should try practicing not running into other patches though maybe. What I do when I reset is just walk back and forth between 3 patches. It's slow and may be the reason why it takes me so long to reset for shinies compared to other people (and I know I've seen youtube videos of people resetting by running back and forth down one row or column of patches), but I can count on one hand the amount of times I've broken a chain due to my finger slipping, and it's never happened on a chain past 40.

Heh, that does sound weird. Well, whatever works for you. You should try practicing not running into other patches though maybe. What I do when I reset is just walk back and forth between 3 patches. It's slow and may be the reason why it takes me so long to reset for shinies compared to other people (and I know I've seen youtube videos of people resetting by running back and forth down one row or column of patches), but I can count on one hand the amount of times I've broken a chain due to my finger slipping, and it's never happened on a chain past 40.

I am definitely going to have to try that. I've tried running between five patches of grass and that may be what's messing me up. I'll try this the next time I chain.

Well good luck, I know how you feel with the Nidoran family. Nidoran (f) is hard enough to chain in Diamond, much less Nidoran (m). I also know how you feel about hatching eggs. Is it just me or does it seem like so many people have been able to hatch shinies, despite the odds apparently not being any different? I've hatched close to 900 eggs and haven't seen a shiny, but then again, I wouldn't expect to assuming that the odds are 1/8192. It would be nice though!

Nice job, I've tried chaining Smeargles before but with no luck. Did you get any good natures? I'll have to try them again some time.

all you have to do to feel safe running is keep the patches at a certain distance in case your finger slips. keep one or to patches between you and the shaking patches and most of the time itll work. ive only ever broken my chain of forty once doing this.(it was a smoochum chain back when i started chaining)

Hey everyone!

I've been chaining on and off with stuff, but lately I've been doing chaining on my Diamond game (*Which I'm using to train up my shinies that I send over from Pearl*) I've been concentrating most on the Diamond only Pokémon, though every Aron chain I've tried has broke so far (*The grass at the Ironworks, all full of ninja Pokémon I SWEAR*)

But I got a really good chain of Larvitar last night, which I got 5 shinies from in total. I don't have any photos of them currently, but I have a video of the capture of the 5th Larvitar, I mostly recorded it as I wanted to film a shiny patch... but due to the poor lighting in my room at the time, the video really didn't come out very well at all XD;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr4g22Yp9ts - It's here anyway XD I'll have to try and see if I can get one on video when I have more natural light to work with, rather than my bedroom light at 2am in the morning.

Very happy with my Larvitars though! It's a shiny I've wanted for a while :D

Hey everyone!

I've been chaining on and off with stuff, but lately I've been doing chaining on my Diamond game (*Which I'm using to train up my shinies that I send over from Pearl*) I've been concentrating most on the Diamond only Pokémon, though every Aron chain I've tried has broke so far (*The grass at the Ironworks, all full of ninja Pokémon I SWEAR*)

But I got a really good chain of Larvitar last night, which I got 5 shinies from in total. I don't have any photos of them currently, but I have a video of the capture of the 5th Larvitar, I mostly recorded it as I wanted to film a shiny patch... but due to the poor lighting in my room at the time, the video really didn't come out very well at all XD;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr4g22Yp9ts - It's here anyway XD I'll have to try and see if I can get one on video when I have more natural light to work with, rather than my bedroom light at 2am in the morning.

Very happy with my Larvitars though! It's a shiny I've wanted for a while :D

Hey Grats on your five shiny larvitar!

I watched your video...

It was really bad i could hardly see the shiny patch...

Anyways Gratz Signed Blaze

Wow, not bad. Congrats on the Shiny Larvitars. Their shiny form is one of the coolest.

Yes, they changed Larvitar to swarm pokemon in Platinum. Although it will make it easier to chain it, but being a swarm pokemon, means that we have to wait for it to swarm to chain it. I prefer it being a pokeradar exclusive, so that I can chain it anytime I want. But that's just me. :)

yes i got to forty on scyther hopefully i can get a boatload of shinies from this chain

three so far and still going

Last edited:
I always wonder why does some people refuses to stop chaining after they reach 40 on the chain. Something I dont know about?

I actually reset more times than I kept chaining. Did I neglect to mention that when my chain reached forty I had a mere ten Max Repels on me? I could not afford to reset any more than I did!

all you have to do to feel safe running is keep the patches at a certain distance in case your finger slips. keep one or to patches between you and the shaking patches and most of the time itll work. ive only ever broken my chain of forty once doing this.(it was a smoochum chain back when i started chaining)

I'm just way too nervous and cautious to try that, although it is tempting to shave some time off my usual chaining. I also think I'd forget where the shaking patches were and end up running into one.

Thanks ShinyBen for posting those links to the Platinum info. Did you guys see the move tutors section? That makes me very, very happy. This will make up a lot for shiny pokemon we want to catch (or have already caught) that learn some of these moves only through breeding. Or they can make up for those moves that can only be obtained through breeding. I hope the shard system works in the same way that it does in Diamond/Pearl so it won't be too difficult to keep collecting them.

Here's the link in case anyone didn't see it and is interested:

http://www.serebii.net/platinum/movetutors.shtml

In chaining news, I had Likitung as my swarm yesterday, but really very little time to do anything about it. I started a chain between classes and work and tried continuing it today, but it broke due to one of those "this far-away patch is too obviously the farthest away" patches. I shouldn't have done that. Now I'm deciding whether I want to mess with the time and date in my DS. I think it'll totally mess up my Animal Crossing game but I'll probably go for it anyway. :p

Congrats on everyone's shinies! Hopefully I'll have some of the same luck.

Woo, took a long break from chaining (don't know why breeding Pikachu is hard o_o) but now I'm going for Bagon (again). I've chained them before but it was luck that I got a shiny, and it was Gentle. I'm going for Adamant now (although if I got a Modest one with HP Ground that would be... wow). I'll post again if all goes well.

i only got 4 shiny scythers and then got stupid and stopped paying attention and it broke...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom