• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shipping Names: Who came up with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netto Azure

«The Ashen Knight»
Reaction score
Well this has bugged me ever since I found out about them around 2 years ago. I've read (In Bulbapedia I think) that this phenomenon started in this fandom with "RocketShipping."

So yeah do people just randomly come up with them and submit it in the fandom until it gains acceptance? Or did someone make that list in Bulbapedia (Or that website I can't remember) / Compiled it? If so could someone please tell me who came up with them etc...(Please post here)

What I've noticed is that some of the older 'ships were developed by fans who agreed on a name. That's what happened with RocketShipping. I don't know many of the 'ship name stories, though, 'cause I wasn't very involved with them. In one of my communities yeeeears ago we had the gal who coined BoulderShipping, but I honestly... D: no idea. Wish I knew, though. I think it would be good to be able to credit that sort of thing!

I did read in the Shipping forum the other day that um... I forgot the member already. They coined HollowShipping. All you Bulbagarden ship-creating people, explain yourselves! You know you want to!

Probaly pokemon fans

I'm guessing why ikarishipping name was made is because Dawn and Paul's Japan names both have the letter I and they used the second half of Dawn's Japan name for some apparent reason

So yeah do people just randomly come up with them and submit it in the fandom until it gains acceptance? Or did someone make that list in Bulbapedia (Or that website I can't remember) / Compiled it? If so could someone please tell me who came up with them etc...(Please post here)
It's a bit more complicated than that, kinda. The list was created as a way of originally keeping track of what was named. With the size of the list, nowadays it's used to find what /hasn't/ been named, as some people do jump the gun with more taking interest in the games, manga, and anime, and hitting to combine whom they like. It is a compilation of everything people find and use, unless one is established where another has already been in place for (thus rendered unofficial, because they either didn't check if there was a name or know they had the ability to).

As to who named them, that would be a might trickier to find for the old ones. And some were a voted consensus, but rooting those out too may be difficult. Finding the newer ones is far easier, as the threads they came into still exist and you may find who done them.

...Oi, oi. What's so bad about Hollow for Brock/Paul?

Probaly pokemon fans

I'm guessing why ikarishipping name was made is because Dawn and Paul's Japan names both have the letter I and they used the second half of Dawn's Japan name for some apparent reason
*facepalm* Well, nice try. It's Evangelion-based, as is Paul/Ash (Coma) and Paul/Reggie (Eva).

pikachu200 said:
Close-ish; Ikarishipping gets its name from the Evangelion character Shinji Ikari. Shinki is Paul's Japanese name... as we all know... and Ikari fits into Dawn's Japanese name, Hikari.

I came up with five or six pairing names, but I'm really starting to regret it.

The creative juices (or whatever they're called) that comes out of these name suggesters simply amazes me.

JB88 said:
The creative juices (or whatever they're called) that comes out of these name suggesters simply amazes me.
I am now curious as to what names on the list of DOOMAGE you personally find the most creative... *shifty ninja look*

There are generally accepted naming guidelines as well. Vague-sounding names, such as PokeShipping and RocketShipping, apply to the first ship to come from that concept. The first shipping to come from Pokemon in general was Ash/Misty, and Jessie/James were the first Rockets shipped together, hence the names. May/Drew was the first contest-related ship, hence ContestShipping...the list goes on. Along the same line, ship names that use region names, such as HoennShipping, always refer to the two playable characters from the games for that region.

And Dawn x Barry is called Twinleafshipping because they both are from Twinleaf Town

What a coinkydink...I was just mourning the fact (on the Brock thread) that the Incomplete List doesn't have explanations for the stranger names...it would be nice to know (if possible) who came up with them, too.

Perhaps we could make this an "attribute and explain the Ship names" thread?

(If that suggestion is foolish or presumptuous, just ignore it.)

What a coinkydink...I was just mourning the fact (on the Brock thread) that the Incomplete List doesn't have explanations for the stranger names...it would be nice to know (if possible) who came up with them, too.

Perhaps we could make this an "attribute and explain the Ship names" thread?

(If that suggestion is foolish or presumptuous, just ignore it.)

No it's not foolish.

I would actually love to find out the origins of all the ship names if possible. XD

I would actually love to find out the origins of all the ship names if possible. XD
Seconded! Some of them are obvious, but others...? Looking at the Shipping list linked to from Bulbapedia, like. I don't know where some of those even came from pairing wise. The Power of Boredom™?

Someone once explained why Brock/Gary was called Heck/HellShipping to me once, but I've since long forgotten. D: Who knows...

Along the same line, ship names that use region names, such as HoennShipping, always refer to the two playable characters from the games for that region.
That's barely half true, to be honest.

Orreshipping and Almiashipping are the only others that conform to that ideal, being Wes/Michael and Kellyn/Kate...the two players. They /tried/ for Shinoushipping, but it was too late for Lucas/Dawn (or Ash/Dawn).

BurningLeafshipping, NewBarkshipping, and Fortuneshipping say otherwise, being Red/Leaf, Hiro/Kris, and Lucas/Dawn. NewBark follows the Twinleaf variant of old, because both start there, Fortune was a "jump the gun" name that practically came out the day DP was announced to be in the works with nothing else known (not even when the characters would look like), and BurningLeaf is a "trying too hard and not getting great results" name (...which there are far too many).

Kantoshipping is for its three base starters, Johtoshipping is a threesome between the two player forms and the rival, and Sinnohshipping is Palmer/Johanna.

You do pin the nose for the "vague" when it comes to Rangershipping (Lunick/Solana).

[frantic scribbling]

Oh font of shippingname knowledge, spread more of your wisdom upon us...!

I'm armed with an Open Office spreadsheet, and I'm not afraid to use it. :)

XD Better than what I'm armed with. *jerks a thumb* Vy did make an Explanation thread over on SPPf recently, if you really want to put that program to use.

Otherwise, all I can say is that 'ship names are based off a /lot/ of variables.

A lot of names Vy herself uses for 'ships are made up names from her pokémon; I use words/terms/people from the Magic: the Gathering TCG (Mirri and Ajani, for example). Some use their own usernames (which is what Crysatl is, and not a typo of Crystal). Some use words that don't fit necessarily by definition, but by a sense of 'rightness' (I do this a lot) and so can't be explained easily. Some jump the gun, which causes explosions like Sakugoshipping.

Some use biology (Lagomorph), some use general science, some use words in other languages if the one they want is taken (or if it just sounds nicer). A lot of 'ships take two words that "match" the two people involve and create something from sticking them together. Some only need to find /one/ word that captures both (like Mireshipping, referencing Sabrina's Marsh badge and a poison-types association with uncleanliness, that also matches with a marsh).

Plants are popular too, and some are very clever, when the meaning is two-fold. Also, when it's two humans, if they share the same pokémon, that pokémon can become the name of the 'ship. Same goes for the moves they know (or could know), such as IceBeamshipping.

Some use fanon, some have fortunate trends (all 'ships starting with God have Arceus in them). Some use history, some use mythology, some use cute words. Some get damn clever. Very damn clever, and in some cases surprisingly so.

Some get perverted, some have been uncomfortable (I never loved Rapist, but that fell with Oos' fanon). Some use "foreign" ideas (Mizuhiki for Cyrus/Cynthia only makes sense when you break down their Japanese names and know what a Mizuhiki is and what colors it usually has; Redthread for Gary/Drew only makes sense when put in the perspective that, as deeply-rooted rivals, Gary and Drew are bound by fate to Ash and May respectively, and is a Japanese belief).

Some use literature (Temeraire for Will/Rayquaza, as the book series over the French ship of history; Canterbury for May/Damian, referencing the Canterbury tales and its Merchant's Tale), some use TV (Doctor Who, Evangelion, Naruto [brainstorm: Thorton/Solana as Hyuugashipping]...some I don't want to ever mention), some reference comics (SilverFlash, KidFlash), some make movie references (88mph, for the win), some use games (StarOcean, Symphonia).

And sometimes, there's the long-winded explanations that involve actual game involvement or writing involvement. Some are amusing because they are /true/ (Mispronunciation for the word-yo). Some are vague and general, because they did it first. And rarely, it's just a namesplice/squish.

EDIT: And some happen to be inside jokes (TNT, Lolishota, Bone, Chemistry, Sabotage, Pool, Steelcage), and some use real life references (Armani remains a great example).

......But if you want specifics, 8D you're gonna have to ask specifically.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why this would be particularly interesting, but I will point out that several of my shipping names come from Alternate Universe/Crossover-type fanfic where it pertains to character roles.

Suzakushipping (Gary x Lara Laramie) comes from a Fushigi Yuugi-verse Pokemon fanfic I wrote, where Gary was the Hotohori equivalent and Lara was female! Tasuki.

Borgiashipping (Lance x Violet) comes from a Count of Monte Cristo-verse story where Lance was the Count, and Violet was Madame de Villefort, who tried to poison her step-daughter.

Renewalshipping (Bruno x Marina) comes from another AU fanfic.

And 'Pandershipping' (Green x Misty) comes from a fic I'm way too embarrassed to post where Misty is a prostitute and Green is soliciting her services...

Close-ish; Ikarishipping gets its name from the Evangelion character Shinji Ikari. Shinki is Paul's Japanese name... as we all know... and Ikari fits into Dawn's Japanese name, Hikari.

Huh, I was wrong. I thought it was Ikarishipping because Dawn got highly irked when Paul didn't seem to know who she was, and Ikari (or so I've heard) means 'anger'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom