• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ships you dislike

Amourshipping is the worst and most overrated pokemon shipping And I hate it, also contestshipping I really never like may pairing with that green haired brat drew, contestshipping is a rejected shipping by dawn Although I like Kenny but I love pearlshipping And last but not the least ikarishipping this doesn't make sense

• Specialshipping. Their relationship is not interesting or developed enough, I find Mangapokeshipping superior because Red and Misty actually had chemistry.
  • Burningleafshipping
  • Staffshipping
  • Every ship involving Dawn and an adult character
  • Blankshipping
  • Not really a fan of Ferriswheelshipping either
  • Amourshipping
  • Gentryshipping
  • Grimsley/Nanu
  • Cyllene/Laventon
  • Larry/Geeta
  • Dendra/Tulip. I prefer Dendra/Miriam.
  • Canonshipping

I don't really "dislike" these ships but I don't like Miakaneshipping, Mossshipping, Phaesporiashipping and Fleurdegrenadeshipping.

I'm a multi-shipper who can and has worked with a lot of ships in Pokemon. I also tend to look at the end point of a character arc as much as the start so you would have less snappy Misty for example.

However if I am to mention ships that I don't like....

AlohaShipping: Ash x Mallow. I don't actively dislike or find it unsettling like some ships but I do think it is probably the weakest of the concluded seasons Ash x main girl ships. Not sure Mallow really had any moments with Ash. I am 64% sure the ship gets as much attention as it does because Mallow looks and is depicted older than the other two more (personal favorite SM Ash ship is actually Ash x Lana, and I was not expecting that when I started.)

Ash x Jessie: This also covers James to the same extent but I see Ash x Jessie more. I have no idea why....(sarcasm)....I just think there is too much bad blood to successfully handle it regarldess of what age the two are set. Also well...the age. I like writing Pokemon characters older but Jessie is still beyond my range of acceptable (...AKA the 'don't ship Naruto with Anko and Izuku with Mt. Lady' rule)

Ash x Domino: Yes I've seen it, and it is basically the above but worse because Team Rocket probably know Ash's checking account number at this point and probably would send him birthday checks if time wasn't a hiccup. Domino is purely antogonist.

Ash x J: ....Also yes, and even worse than the above because it happened repeatably.

Paul ships: ....I'm not a huge slash guy but I don't get why you'd ship Ash (or Dawn) with a guy that is probably the most antagonistic rival. I'd avoid a Ash x Gary fic without a lot of caveats about quality outside of ship but I could see that work. Paul I can't....

May x Drew and Dawn x Kenny: I always found the two to a bit too arrogant and jerkish to really accept. I'm, again, a multi shipper so I'm not the most inclined to alt ships but I'd rather Dawn x Zoey myself.

Ash's father as Oak x Delia: This is said this way because I am neutral to the idea that Oak and Delia are a couple when Ash is gone. I however have too much issue with the idea of a Dad Oak part of the ship. I can work with Step-Dad Oak (though in truth I'd rather have Step-Dad Kukui because my multi-ship extends to Delia x Kukui x Burnett to respond to the Archive Ash abandoned and adopted trend)

Named only ships: This is a bit of a weird one but I don't like the implications that if you have to establish a character in story as being in a relationship it has to be with someone who is also named. You can have X mention they are married without having to use a established character. If Whitney has a boyfriend it can be just some random guy in Goldenrod and not Morty or Lance or anything.

Multiships with odd parts: I love multiships. I look at a fic labeled AdvancedAmourPokePearlNegaiAbilityShalourBlueAurelia and I say to myself 'I'd read it'. However adding in characters that, for example, are much older than Ash is (hello Sabrina) is a absolute turn off. Also if you add Hilda or Gloria I expect you to actually develop her and build her up. A ship regardless of size lives and dies by the build up it gets to stand on its own and a non entity like Hilda or Gloria requires work to make work.
Me, sobbing on my knees: another person that ships Kukui/Burnet/Delia!!! I truly never thought I'd see the day, I thought I was alone in this level of god-tier Enlightenment to the clearest path of getting Step-Dad Kukui (and Step-Mom Burnet)!!!! Srsly, bless you, this made my whole night. <3 (also, have you ever given thought to what a ship name for this blessed ot3 could be? bc I'd love for them to be acknowledged as a Real Ship in these streets XD)

Also, in answer to your question of why ppl ship Coma....for me, it was my way of making Paul less insufferable, bc I really disliked him when I was first watching DP (and in the end, I have a love/hate relationship w/ him, as in my eyes, he's never truly atoned or apologized for his abuse of Chimchar, so I can never bring myself to fully forgive him for that), so I started to headcanon that Paul had a terrible tsundere crush on Ash that he Hated and couldn't get rid of no matter how hard he tried; it warmed the cockles of my heart to imagine him Suffering, and I think it makes DP 10x funnier. But I don't really ship it as requited, and even if it was, I don't think they'd be able to muster up a long-lasting relationship.

But, and to actually get to the point of this thread, Ikari is one that I could never get or understand, for all the reasons already mentioned in this thread. But also, I find it absolutely hysterical that the one (1) non-antagonistic interaction he had with Dawn....was her calling him out on his obsession with Ash. When I tell you that I absolutely choked...bc srsly, I'm also a multishipper, so as a general rule I try to give every ship a fair chance. Watching that scene for the first time, I initially was thinking that I might finally understand why in the hell the general fandom was so obsessed with Ikari. And instead....I just got yet another character, basically validating my headcanon about Paul :ROFLMAO: (Bc previously to this, Brock also had a moment where he called out Paul on his obsession with Ash, and Paul had literally just gotten off the phone with Reggie right before the scene with Dawn started, and his own brother was basically saying the same thing XDD).

And in general, I'm Very Tired of what I like to call the "Big Het 5", which is what I call Poke, Contest, Ikari, Wishful, and GeekChic; aka, the Usual Suspects, and the ships that I find to be the most over-hyped and overdone in the fandom. Contest is the only one that I can really tolerate (and even then, I'd still rather go w/ different May ships); I don't hate PokeShipping, but I'm VERY burnt out on it as a romance, and while I wouldn't say I hate Wishful or GeekChic, I just can't see any romantic chemistry, no matter how hard I try. As I watched the show, I thought all 4 characters' ships with Ash made more plausible sense than those two. And of all these, Ikari is the one that I'd say is the one I dislike the most, as imo it makes the least sense of them all; for all their lack of romantic chemistry between them, Iris & Cilan and Serena & Clemont at least can feasibly get along. And yes, "opposites attract" can be a thing, but imo, in order for that to truly work, there still needs to be some kind of common ground to use as a foundation to build the relationship on, and there just isn't with Ikari. Plus, in my experience, "opposites attract" is only compelling if it's being used as shorthand for a relationship where the differences help each person(s) broaden their horizons, with perhaps complementary strengths and weakness, where they can help each other overcome their flaws, etc. Like, a more outgoing person who helps their shyer partner get out of their shell more, that kind of thing. But again, common ground still needs to exist, and things like their core values still need to align, and I just don't believe that's true for Paul and Dawn, so I really can't see a relationship being able to work out between them.

I'll also join the legion of ppl who are Not Impressed with PenguinShipping (and the glaring faults are made all the clearer when Zoey is right there, being perfection incarnate). Heck, I think Dawn had better chemistry with Conway than she did with Kenny. I suppose it doesn't help matters that I found Kenny to be very obnoxious and annoying.

And lastly, I'll echo everyone's anti-AmourShipping thoughts. I wouldn't say I hate it, but it's very much not a healthy dynamic for either of them imo, particularly for Serena, and she deserves to be able to be a fully functioning and independent character in her own right, without having to use Ash as a crutch. Here's to hoping she finds that in Hoenn (as I've yet to see Journeys, so idk what her cameo was like) and maybe also have her bi awakening, bc srsly, Serena has far more chemistry with every girl she interacts with than could ever be mustered up between her and Ash ;P

i literally could nyot care less about any het ash ship. or any ash ship in general. ash doesnt nyeed a love interest
and the mere concept of harmoniashipping makes me feel ill
(alsyo for nyon-pokemon examples, i DESPISE ladiva/jamil (granblue fantasy) and literally any ship of two twins together (ESPECIALLY ephraim/eirika (fire emblem) and euden/zethia (dragalia lost)) and i really don't like lissa/maribelle and caineghis/mordecai (both from fire emblem), equius zahhak/aradia megido (homestuck) and nene kusanagi/rui kamishiro (project sekai) either)

I hate ships that are generally gross (like minor x adult ships) cause those are just wrong.

I also just dont like Paul x Dawn cause I just don’t like Paul and even though I didn’t watch dp all the way through, they didn’t have enough positive chemistry

edit: I also don’t like Pokémon x human ships. idk, they just make me feel uncomfortable

i was thinking abt this bc i talked about it briefly on my private twitter but gosh due to many factors at the time i really, really could never get into whitenoiseshipping (emmet x piers); and a lot of it was personal stuff but even now my distaste for the ship has just stuck with me for some reason?

it's kinda mostly silly stuff, but i remember around the time the masters event this ship spawned from happened i was just, kinda tired of the submas resurgence? i didnt have any issue with the characters at all because even before pla and that resurgence i've always been a HUGE fan of emmet in particular, but i just kinda think to some extent i was getting slightly tired of seeing them nearly every day, and it was around the time where i personally was constantly getting teased and getting backhanded comments over my preferred set of pokemon twins and my ship involving one of them and piers so that definitely contributed to my general distaste with the resurgence and this event. it was just a huuge amount of things that made me super bitter towards it and honestly i'll be the first to admit a LOT of my disliking of this ship stemmed from what was at the time mostly jealousy at the way this pairing was getting so much attention.

looking back on it what initially started my disliking of this ship was really dumb and petty, and it's honestly rare that i dislike a ship for reasons like that, but even now that i'm less protective over my ships and the idea of them being shipped with other characters it just stuck w me for some reason. dunno what the reason for my disliking of it is now, but i've never been able to get into it as a result.

to be honest..... i'm not really a fan of any m/f ships at all in pokémon. a statement many people would find annoying, i know, but i just can't really get into them--it's not that i find them bad or anything, i do sometimes even enjoy them, but i can only really get into them if i imagine both characters as trans or otherwise queer in some way. it's mostly just... the world is so full of straight/cishet relationships all of the time, i just want to see more queer relationships and characters that i can feel more of a connection with. i've got nothing against the ships themselves or people that like them at all, of course, it's just the way i feel personally.

I hate it when there's a M/F ship I DO like a lot but then some other person that likes it shows up and is like "Hey guys I have arrived to inject as much traditional cishet gender roles as possible in that specific M/F ship you like" :sadsola:

Y'all are both so real and valid for that! I can definitely relate, and tend to have a lot of similar feelings. I experience a lot of cisheteronormative burnout, and I absolutely will choose to pick the queer options whenever I have the chance. And when I do like m/f ships, then I either headcanon them as queer in other ways (Jessie and James may be soulmates in my mind, for example, but they're also neither cis or het, and my mind cannot be changed on that front XP (fwiw, I hc jessie as genderqueer and pan, and james as nonbinary and demi)), and/or they have to have like...god tier writing and chemistry behind them to overcome the aforementioned burnout. So....yeah, y'all are absolutely not alone on that front. XD

I hate it when there's a M/F ship I DO like a lot but then some other person that likes it shows up and is like "Hey guys I have arrived to inject as much traditional cishet gender roles as possible in that specific M/F ship you like" :sadsola:
SAME, this is a good part of what made me stop liking Nenekasa all that much. I saw syo many posts about Tsukasa being the strong manly man money-maker and Nene being the weak demure housewife that it just. Tired me out of the pairing. (I'm almost glad that their "counterpart" ship, Emurui, is unpopular cause of that...)

Alsyo, back when I was in the Dragalia Lost fandom, I'd see SYO MANY horribly boring, bordering on 50s gender roles fanworks for M/F ships (the worst offenders BY FAR were Basileus/Origa and Malora/Valyx, especially the latter cause it actively went against, like, ALL my headcanons for Valyx (and by extension my crack theory about Amane that I really liked)) that it almost made me think I hated M/F pairings as a whole (though even when I warmed up to them the only two I really liked that much that were from Dragalia were Ryszarda/Faris and Cleo/Rodrigo, and I'm pretty sure I headcanoned Rodrigo as either a trans woman or a nyonbinary lesbian anyway syo it was technically just one)...

Ships between characters where the result will end up becoming an unhealthy (abusive would be a more apt description) relationship for either or both characters are the type of shipping I dislike the most. When I think of the pairings I like, I want the characters involved to have a happy ending, or at least having either characters genuinely appreciating what their lover did for them if going for a bittersweet ending where either or both character die.

One example of an unhealthy pairing would be a character paired with another, fanatically-obsessed character. And I don't mean characters like yanderes, since pairings involving some yandere characters can be written or portrayed well if the writer(s) knows what they're doing (one example of that being Koichi & Yukako from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4, where Yukako eventually tones down her attachment to Koichi to a much healthier level by the end of the part, to the point where in some "Thus spoke Rohan Kishibe" stories which are set much later than Diamond is Unbreakable, the couple is still together in a healthy manner). By fanatically-obsessed character, I mean those who thinks the character they are obsessing over is the best person they've met in their lives, even when said person has done horrible things. Worse yet is when the latter realizes the fanatical attachment of the other and decides to take advantage of it. Of course, the other way around applies too, and many yandere characters in fiction are unsurprisingly portrayed in manners that makes the reader/viewer uncomfortable by overpowering their "lover" and turn what could have been a cute pairing into a one-sided Stockholm's Syndrome-type of relationship... Did I make the correct comparaison ?

Also my apologies to everyone if this take was somewhat dark to read through.

Never was a fan of Ash ships, none of them ever interested me and it felt like the shippers were fighting 24/7. I never really wanted to pick sides (Most of them probably wouldn’t work out) and never had an interest in the anime though so that may be why.

As for other Pokémon ships, I don’t really care for them anymore. I used to be big in shipping but eventually now I just don’t really anymore. I also really dislike Adaman x Irida, just looked like it could never work out in my opinion.

But I have a LOT to say about other fandoms I’ll just make a spoiler for it

Okay, so most of these ships that I’ve seen are down right illegal, for some reason Len is always sexually motivated and I’m 99% sure HE IS A LEGIT CHILD. And it’s always with Miku and RIN?! People legitimately shipped Len and Rin, it’s extremely weird because I’m pretty sure THEY ARE SIBLINGS. Some of the other ones are okay, but I refuse to think Gakupo can get anyone because he’s too much of a simp.

And now with Project Sekai. The Sekai ships always confused me, I only see the main groups as friends and the fandom can be extremely weird. cough cough Yandere Rui game cough cough. But I never had slight interest in any of the ships, I just see Rui and Tsukasa as some awesome friends who annoy each other too much. Same with all the other groups as well, I see no ships, just the best friendships!

Okay, this one is weird. All the shippers always fetishized the male x male ships (And most of the Utaite fanbase are women). But the fandom is completely horrible with Utaite’s boundaries, it makes me feel bad for Soraru and MafuMafu (WHO SAID THEY DONT LIKE BEING SHIPPED) but the fan base ships the, anyways. I hate the Utaite fandom but I like the Utaite’s.

And it’s always with Miku and RIN?!
Ngl the Mikulen stuff I see is usually pretty nyormal, I don't see Rinlen like at all anymore syo I can't say much but I do agree it's pretty weird. The weird stuff I see of him is usually stuff where he's shipped with, like, Kaito, Gakupo (those two are kinda inherently weird though), Teto, Fukase, Piko, Moke and Oliver (ESPECIALLY OLIVER since he's voiced by an ACTUAL CHILD and 95% of the stuff I've seen of the ship is REALLY SUGGESTIVE if nyot outright NSFW, same with Teto except without the child VA part). I used to see him shipped with Gumi sometimes but that pairing was usually pretty tame too (I even shipped it at one point lol).

Ngl the Mikulen stuff I see is usually pretty nyormal, I don't see Rinlen like at all anymore syo I can't say much but I do agree it's pretty weird. The weird stuff I see of him is usually stuff where he's shipped with, like, Kaito, Gakupo (those two are kinda inherently weird though), Teto, Fukase, Piko, Moke and Oliver (ESPECIALLY OLIVER since he's voiced by an ACTUAL CHILD and 95% of the stuff I've seen of the ship is REALLY SUGGESTIVE if nyot outright NSFW, same with Teto except without the child VA part). I used to see him shipped with Gumi sometimes but that pairing was usually pretty tame too (I even shipped it at one point lol).
I’ve seen some really bad Mikulen stuff T-T, one song was really bad (can’t remember the name) and nsfw intentions of the song.

And most Len pairings can be extremely NSFW and it’s really sad T-T.

to be fair i 100% understand being freaked out by lenrin and i am too but them being siblings isn't exactly true. they are in some songs and interpretations, but as crypton has confirmed in the past: they are neither twins nor lovers. they are mirror images of each other and their relationship is up for interpretation. originally the plan was to market them as twins iirc but they ended up not going with it and then later made the aforementioned statement. tldr theyre basically just officially genderswapped versions of each other.

sorry for having an "erm akshually" moment :sadsola: i just see it go around far too much that people think they're canonically siblings when really vocaloids arent canonically anything at all. theyre meant to give artistic freedom to be interpreted however they want. same thing kinda applies to ages but it's a bit more of a complicated situation there since iirc the mascots themselves are given "canon ages" but afaik those are still left to be interpreted however people want depending on the song.

but yeah im not a huge lenrin fan either bc of how common the twin interpretation is it just kinda grosses me out as a result even if theres nothing wrong with it

I’ve seen some really bad Mikulen stuff T-T, one song was really bad (can’t remember the name) and nsfw intentions of the song.

And most Len pairings can be extremely NSFW and it’s really sad T-T.
eh, maybe the Mikulen thing is cause I don't really see songs that ship it, only fanart (which tends to be on the more wholesome side).

And yeah you're right about tons of his ships being magnets for weird NSFW, that's the case for most of the male kid/teen Vocaloids though which sucks (except Gachapoid because he's either too unpopular or too goofy-looking for creeps to like him, and I don't think he was popular in Talkloids either).
but yeah im not a huge lenrin fan either bc of how common the twin interpretation is it just kinda grosses me out as a result even if theres nothing wrong with it
same, I know the official stance on their relationship is intentionally ambiguous but considering I do see them as twins myself (same with other pairs like that such as Hime and Mikoto) I just can't get behind the pair at all even if it is clear in the song/fanart/fanfic that they aren't twins. (That being said, there is actually a love song using them that I like a lot, but it's one of the songs that I always insert other characters into in my mind syo idk.)

Ima update a bit on what I’ve said! And I have some more things on the project Sekai part of things…

Something that I have seen is most of the ships are extremely sexual when I’m pretty sure all these characters are in high school, specifically the Male x Male ships. Most of the Girl x Girl or Girl x Guy ships are more or so tame (The girl x girl ones are the tamest) but the Guy x Guy ships are almost extremely sexual, and it’s always so weird because the characters are still in high school, and it’s always struck me as weird. An example is Rui x Tsukasa, it’s always so sexual and weird. Anyways weird rant done.

Ima update a bit on what I’ve said! And I have some more things on the project Sekai part of things…

Something that I have seen is most of the ships are extremely sexual when I’m pretty sure all these characters are in high school, specifically the Male x Male ships. Most of the Girl x Girl or Girl x Guy ships are more or so tame (The girl x girl ones are the tamest) but the Guy x Guy ships are almost extremely sexual, and it’s always so weird because the characters are still in high school, and it’s always struck me as weird. An example is Rui x Tsukasa, it’s always so sexual and weird. Anyways weird rant done.
unfortunately the fandom attracts a lot of ppl who think m/m relationships can't exist without being sexual even if the characters r kids/teens... ppl like that made me stop liking akitoya as much as i used to even though toya is still one of my favs
miniagony.png

Back
Top Bottom