• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ships you dislike

ZDaemon09

Reaction score
Tell us a ship you hate and why.

Let me start with mine with a ship from the Anime.

Amourshipping.

It's over rated and it is one sided. Only Serena has this crush and Ash is a clueless dope! In fact her crush on Ash is the character trait shoved into our face too many times that this becomes her big character trait. Overriding anything else that otherwise, isn't that different from Dawn or May
The fact she introduced herself to Ash by stalking him is creepy as hell and her how I first met him story was done already.

Now for the one from the games.

Guzma x Lusamine.

The bitch took advantage of Guzma for her own gain and depending on the version, she ditches him for jellyfish once she is in ultra space or she and Guzma get their butts handed to them by Necrozma.

USUM made this less painful because it never gotten to that point and it put some light in how much of her praise to him was genuine. (Practically the same, but Lusamine's objective was less selfish, so it is a darker side of gray.) But otherwise, it is a partnership and nothing more.
For Guzma's part, he is an unstable adult that needed another adult praising him. Once someone acknowledge him, he do anything she says without question. This is unhealthy on both ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey fellow shippers!

I just wanted to make clear that expressing criticism toward ships is fine and I encourage the spirit of discussion! However, please make sure that you are respectful toward the opinions of others and please don't target specific opinions just for liking or disliking a specific ship.

Happy shipping,
Lucy! :) (on behalf of Lillie)

Hey fellow shippers!

I just wanted to make clear that expressing criticism toward ships is fine and I encourage the spirit of discussion! However, please make sure that you are respectful toward the opinions of others and please don't target specific opinions just for liking or disliking a specific ship.

Happy shipping,
Lucy! :) (on behalf of Lillie)
Thank you for the tip, I'm just leaving this here so people can vent into this.

So far, it isn't working.

Amour shipping

I can't say i'm too fond of pokeshipping either. Since i'm peeved by relationships too themed on arguments (my parents faught a lot when i was a kid and it troubled me...).

Not that i truly dislike misty; she can be sorta amusing and interesting to watch. But i do not like her with ash.

Still i may dislike amour the overall most cuz its fans are the most crazy imo :(

Amour shipping

I can't say i'm too fond of pokeshipping either. Since i'm peeved by relationships too themed on arguments (my parents faught a lot when i was a kid and it troubled me...).

Not that i truly dislike misty; she can be sorta amusing and interesting to watch. But i do not like her with ash.

Still i may dislike amour the overall most cuz its fans are the most crazy imo :(

I'm kind of a pokeshipper, but in terms of Ash related pairings... there are MUCH better ships you are right about that. (I am secretly a Morpheusshipper. Ash x Angie)

Amourshipping (This was where most of Serena's character went to in the end and that character could have been something much better... Looking at May and Dawn as to where those two girls developed, heck looking at anime Lillie in where her character development went to... from a timid wreck of a girl to overcoming her trauma and THEN slowly developing after her arc was finished as to what, I don't know.)

Amour shipping, because of its awful fandom :/

Amourshipping however... the blind/ toxic fandom and the context of this particular ship is what I don't like.

Okay, these affirmations are straight out offensive and overgeneralizing. It’s simply untrue that all Amourshippers are crazy, toxic, awful or whatever insult you wanna throw. Lumping all shippers together is very disrespectful toward the more respectful fans.

I’m an Amourshipper myself, but I have absolutely no qualms toward fans of other shippings. Everyone should feel free to ship their favorite characters in any way they like without being targeted by “rival” shippers.

Besides, no shipping is without its darker sides. Virtually every shipping has its more vocal and overprotective fans, who lash out at whoever dares to target their shipping. But this isn’t something strictly related to Amourshipping. I’ve seen many Pokeshippers, Advanceshippers and so on who can be just as offensive and obnoxious. However, that doesn’t mean that all fans are like that, and I’m not going to hate on other shippings just because they have some obnoxious fans.

It’s basically like saying that Undertale is an awful game because its fanbase is awful. That’s a very reductive statement, which gives no justice to the more respectful fans and to the game itself. Similarly, targeting a shipping just because it has overly vocal fans without any consideration toward the less vocal and more respectful fans is really unfair and uncalled for.

It’s fine if you don’t like Amourshipping. Many Amourshippers, myself included, don’t mind that at all. But please, avoid generalizations of this kind because these are very hurtful statements.

Okay, these affirmations are straight out offensive and overgeneralizing. It’s simply untrue that all Amourshippers are crazy, toxic, awful or whatever insult you wanna throw. Lumping all shippers together is very disrespectful toward the more respectful fans.

I’m an Amourshipper myself, but I have absolutely no qualms toward fans of other shippings. Everyone should feel free to ship their favorite characters in any way they like without being targeted by “rival” shippers.

I get that, not every single Amourshipper is like that... but most of them are, especially when they attack someone who voices against the ship or attack someone that gets annoyed when they worship that ship. (I wish I am exaggerating with the worship part, but some of the fan base that really roars, treats this ship like a religion.) This thread is also here so ANYONE can voice against what ever ship they don't like and why... so feel free to voice against a ship that you don't like. (Games, Manga, Anime... pick any ship from those three and trash on them.)

Beginning a more professional criticism on Amourshipping and why I don't like this ship.
To be clear, I don't really like the X/Y series save for the Team Flare arc and a few episodes the series has. (What ever happen to Malamar.) The old formula that started at Gen 3 reached its most stale and Ash was over glorified into a mary sue and while I don't hate Serena... she is just wasted potential.
She started out as a random girl who has a crush on Ash and the way the two were introduced to each other is pretty creepy to me, while our clueless dope of a hero did take her on said journey it is still something questionable as to how the stalked should react to a stalker. She has little development outside of her crush on Ash, (Besides that argument she had with Grace on having a goal.) that is pretty much the only character trait she has that was focused on and the thing she wanted to do in the series (The showcases.) have next nothing to do with pokemon, or something Ash would realistically get interested in. (The Showcases themselves are just the appeal aspect of pokemon Contests with barely the pokemon.) I am not a Pearlshipper or Advanceshipper either since those two ships are a Student being friends with a Teacher... but at least the thing May and Dawn were doing actually caught our hero's interest and results in some chemistry. It is also mentioned, the crush in one sided on Serena's case, she has feelings for him and yet Ash gives nearly no signs of returning those feelings.
To make matters worse for me, when Serena failed at the Showcase/ Kalos Queen goal, she seemingly quit that goal and went to Hoenn to move onto contests, her last scene... aka the kiss scene, has her admitting that her big goal is getting Ash to notice her as a love interest. It generally feels like a waist of time for me to get invested in this character when the highlight of her character is the ship rather than her on her own and how that development reached nowhere. (Which outside of the crush, she is much weaker compared to May or Dawn.)
If the writers did even a remotely good job with her character and not focus on the ship, I might have had a better tolerance towards this ship or the fan base that glorifies it as more than what it actually is to me.
Criticism over!

I'm not much of a Pokeshipper either other than nostalgia purposes. The only reason Misty went along with Ash was so he can pay up for that bike he broke. (Some established in the games to cost a lot of money and not taken lightly.) She is a nag to Ash, borderline abusive towards him when physical contact was made and personally she overstayed her welcome when it was time for Johto. There was little development for Misty during her long run and personally I was glad to see her go. (The highlight of her development funny enough was AFTER her time was gone in the Chronicles episodes.)

Funny enough, the only few Ash related ships I support are with two characters that... haven't been around for many episode. With Anabel and Angie, since Anabel did appear in the Gen 7 games... she is the one I am hoping makes a return in the SM anime at some point. The others are with the guys purely because of chemistry.

Last edited:
This thread is also here so ANYONE can voice against what ever ship they don't like and why... so feel free to voice against a ship that you don't like.
Furthering on what Cresselia92 said, I would like to point out that whilst voicing your opinion on ships you dislike is perfectly fine, please be mindful and respect other people's opinions. That is why the Shippers' Paradise moderators have renamed the thread accordingly.

Thanks x

Personally, I'm rather meh with Amourshipping; I don't think Serena and Ash hooking up with be healthier for either of them, with her childhood crush kinda blinding her to Serena's own needs and dreams whereas Ash's own obliviousness (and probably bitterness due to his dad not being around, Brock's parents being terrible and Misty's parents being gone). I find that they are better off as friends more than anything else. They'd have to do a lot of growing up and reach an equal footing with one another before anything could be done.

I don't think that Dawn would be good for Ash either; after seeing her team up with Iris and join in on making fun of Ash (rather maliciousness instead of playfully) I wouldn't want to be around her either. I do like May with Ash but depends.

That said, since we're on the subject I'm not fond of Norman x Caroline (just so we are clear I'm talking SPECIFICALLY about Anime!Norman). After re-watching some of the episodes, I really don't like how everyone (Caroline and Kenny) instantly ganged upon him and accusing him of being a bad guy. It felts incredibly weird and out of place, Norman clearly cares and loves his wife as well as his kids, the fact that they instantly believed the worst in him made me want him to NOT forgive them.

Norman deserves better imo.

Personally, I'm rather meh with Amourshipping; I don't think Serena and Ash hooking up with be healthier for either of them, with her childhood crush kinda blinding her to Serena's own needs and dreams whereas Ash's own obliviousness (and probably bitterness due to his dad not being around, Brock's parents being terrible and Misty's parents being gone). I find that they are better off as friends more than anything else. They'd have to do a lot of growing up and reach an equal footing with one another before anything could be done.

I don't think that Dawn would be good for Ash either; after seeing her team up with Iris and join in on making fun of Ash (rather maliciousness instead of playfully) I wouldn't want to be around her either. I do like May with Ash but depends.

That said, since we're on the subject I'm not fond of Norman x Caroline (just so we are clear I'm talking SPECIFICALLY about Anime!Norman). After re-watching some of the episodes, I really don't like how everyone (Caroline and Kenny) instantly ganged upon him and accusing him of being a bad guy. It felts incredibly weird and out of place, Norman clearly cares and loves his wife as well as his kids, the fact that they instantly believed the worst in him made me want him to NOT forgive them.

Norman deserves better imo.

I normally don't think about Pearlshipping either and the same can be said with Advanceshipping.

With both May and Dawn they are more friends with Ash rather than anything romantic. The girls DO have chemistry with him though, the girls are able to make their own in the Contest thanks to the guy inspiring them... and in turn the girls got him interested in Contests because of it.
I'm kind of neutral on that and the concepts.

As for Norman and his family... that isn't signs of a healthy future.

I think my main problem with Dawn and Pearlshipping is how she instantly started emitting Iris and started treating Ash like dirt during Black/White. Now, I'm not a fan of that series but after helping to save the world several times over you'd think she'd stand by her friend's side but NOPE; MOCK HIM INSTEAD. It just... leaves a bad taste in my mouth, you know? Maybe if something actually happened to cause the shift than possibly I could buy it but I prefer keeping Dawn and Iris far away from Ash as possible.

Ash did help them make their way into Contests and through them but... yeah.

The lack of communication is concerning; and doesn't bold well, I can see them divorcing in the future.

Dawn's interactions in the BW series were mostly a result of that series writing, and even then she didn't mock Ash much after that very first episode, Ash and Dawn's interactions were nearly the same as in DP otherwise. I don't ship anything anymore but I don't see why one small scene in BW would affect anything from the 191 eps of DP before it, etc. And as said the BW series itself was known for poor characterisation especially with Ash that saga...so...

That is true; the series writing for Black and White were not the greatest, maybe mocking wasn't a good term but, just the way Dawn seemed to imitate Iris and all; just felt... wrong? I guess? It didn't really feel like Dawn; and felt like a different character.

Honestly, I'm just not fond of anything to do with BW.

Well, I guess I dislike the following to some extent:-

- Egoshipping:- I love both Gary and Misty, but I just don't see them working as a couple. Maybe if I read a well-written fanfic where both of their mature versions interact with each other than I might even like it. But all I have read is about Kanto!Gary and Kanto!Misty. And that surely won't work.

- Geekchicshipping:- Eh, I love both Diodeshipping and Amourshipping. So it's a double nope from me. Plus, it never felt like they were interested in each other at all. On the other hand, they both literally adore Ash.

- Championshipping:- I used to like this in the past. And you can say that I am being petty, but I recently had some bad experience with this ship. It's nothing big, but definitely enough to make me dislike it. Sorry.

- Serena x Ritchie:- This just feels like a keep-away ship to me. I don't mind it if anyone ships it because they love it genuinely, but I have seen some people shipping it just to keep Serena away from Ash. And that has left a very bad impression of this ship in my mind.

- Comashipping:- I used to like this in the past too. And ironically the reason for disliking this isn't even the fact that I am a Palletshipper. I multiship Gary a lot, so that's not an issue. The real problem is that, I am also a coldcoffeeshipper, and I can't think of anyone other than Paul to ship Barry with. I mean, I ship Dawn mostly with Zoey or May, and other than Paul, she is the only good option for Barry. So unless I find someone good enough to ship Barry with, I am not going to support Comashipping again.

These are the only ones I can think of right now. Also, my opinion about ships keeps on changing a lot.

I don't like Penguinshipping. Kenny treated Dawn badly, and he treated her as an object and prize in a Pokémon battle. I was very happy when Dawn rejected Kenny in episode 180 of DP.

I also don't like Amourshipping. I feel Serena's crush got in the way of her showcase goal. I think we should of had more showcase episodes, and less one-sided hints from Serena. And I feel Amourshipping seemed quite forced at times.

Last edited:
Thread-specific rules
The Shippers' Paradise moderators have decided to set some rules for this thread to help the discussion stay productive! :)

Rules

1. All ships must be respected;
  2. Don't argue with/about users for holding a specific view;
  3. Discussions about fanbases are not permitted in this thread;
  4. Issues from other sites cannot be brought into this thread.
Thank you x

There's a...fair amount of ships within this fandom I dislike, but Amourshipping is the most recent one I can think of, which is so sad because I genuinely loved this ship so much back when the XY anime first started, but now I can't stand it. Serena's crush on Ash started out so cute and I initially was optimistic that Serena would grow into her own character other than "girl with crush on Ash", but that never really happened. It was annoyingly one-sided (would it have been THAT much to ask to make Ash just the TINIEST bit aware that Serena liked him?) and the whole "you're my goal" line at the end of the series turned me off the ship completely. I hated that after all was said and done there was very little that defined Serena beyond her crush on Ash, and that line was just the final nail in the coffin for me; it just left such a bad taste in my mouth. So yeah I do not like Amourshipping. Sorry.

If you mean overall, there's several I dislike or just don't care for. So ones I didn't like:

• Dawn/Kenny. Very boring ship, didn't like Kenny at all. People should of shipped Dawn with Zoey but didn't due to it being two girls. :/
  • Dawn/Paul. Legitimately blows my mind how this is so popular, there's hundreds of Dawn/Paul fanfics and fanart. These two have like 3 scenes of interaction out of 190 episodes, Paul ignored Dawn's existence 95% of the time. Feels like it was a lame, "bad boy with innocent girl" ship that many who were young teenagers clung to in the early 2000's. Anything with them feels out of character to me.
  • Ash/Lillie. This actually has a lot of support on social media for some reason, but I don't care for it because it feels like the usual, "ship Ash with the main girl of the region" ship with no real substance.
  • Ash/Iris. Nah, just leave it at that.
  • Iris/Cilan, another one that's oddly popular on social media but I don't get it. Iris and Cilan never showed any romantic interest in each other at all. I'm honestly surprised this one has so many followers.
Besides that I'm indifferent to most other ships or just don't care about. Pokeshipping is also something I only really like in the context of Kanto and Orange but don't care for it after the early days of the series. There also wasn't much of anything in the SM cameos to pull me back to it other than friendship so, eh.

Also Bonnie should keepu her brother.

Back
Top Bottom