• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ships you dislike

Anime:

I dislike Amourshipping, for many reasons already stated by other users. I think it's very forced and it really hinders Serena's character. I actually kind of like Serena's personality and while I say her lack of goal has bothered me in the past, it is relatable to be unsure of what you want to do with your life. Seeing her pick up performing was really cool, but then there was always the idea that she was just hoping to get Ash's attention. The girl really needs to go out there and do something for herself!

Any ship with Dawn other than Appealshipping because Dawn and Zoey are literally perfect
Penguinshipping - Childhood friend couples are cute, but I just don't think this one works.
Pearlshipping - It's cute, but I just don't see it. I think they grew from the journey they took together, not from each other.
Ikarishipping - ...why? (I just, I don't see it, I don't like it)

Games:

Bede x Gloria/Victor/Protagonist - I like some of the art, but I just don't see it. Unless there is something I am missing from Bede I just don't really see these two getting along to the point of being in a relationship. Bede's a jerk who turns into less of a jerk and a gym leader. His character arc doesn't really involve the protagonist at all, just maybe a little bit at the end.

Not a fan of any Ash/Alola girl due to the (thankful) lack of actual chemistry or interaction between the characters

Also not fond of abusive relationships like Poke or Negai because tsundere is not a basis for a healthy relationship (not helped by Ash being blind to it, but that's par for the course in all his relationships, so...)

The only ships I enjoy nowadays are Ash/Adventure and MutationShipping (Mewtwo/Eevee)

Ash x Serena because of how overrated it is. While it may have been the most expressive ship in the cartoon it was completely one sided and it got really boring because by the middle of the Kalos series it became apparent that it was never going to go anywhere and all we got out of it was Serena blushing alot and an off screen kiss.

These are all from the games.

Cheren x Bianca. They're great as friends, but I can't see them as lovers.

Elesa x Skyla. Again, they seem more like best friends to me.

Lillie x Protagonist (Selene or Elio). Lillie's arc is about her becoming independent from her mother/family, but falling in love with the protagonist as she leaves her family would only make her dependent on someone else again. It doesn't help that to me, Lillie feels more like a younger sister to take care of than a love interest.

Lysandre x Sycamore. I believe this ship became popular because of XY pre-release rumours, but in the actual game they have so little interaction that I don't even know what their friendship would be like, let alone romance.

Steven x anyone. Steven looks a lot more interested in rocks than romance. The only exception is Wallace, but that's only because I think they look good together and not because of any in-game interactions between them.

A ship that I dislike (probably my least favorite in the entire franchise) is AmourShipping. Serena from the XY and XYZ anime is an amazing character and her development was pretty smooth, but I feel like AmourShipping kind of ruined her for me
Please keep in mind that this is my opinion, so please don't hate on me for expressing my point of view
1) It's one sided
AmourShipping is indeed one sided. We got Serena leaving hints of her love interest towards Ash (Ya know like blushing, all that stuff), but Ash in the other hand almost shows no love affection towards Serena! Especially when he doesn't really have a reaction when Serena gets asked if Ash is her boyfriend...
2) The fan base
Another common reason why it's hated is it's fan base. there maybe a ton of Amour supporters who are mature enough to respect other people's ideal shipping, there are a majority of AmourShippers are pure toxic, going around and posting hate comments on people who are just posting their opinion on AmourShipping. i understand that there are nice people who both like AmourShipping and respect others opinions towards it, but then you got- I don't know- 10 year olds goin' around the internet doing hateful thing. I find this hella immature!

That's all for now, maybe I'll post another few reasons on why I dislike Amour

Last edited:
While I am indifferent to most ships, there is not one that I personally dislike. I simply respect people's right to ship anything.

To be honest, I don't like ships that involve Pokémon, especially those with Gardevoir. It is a quite strange fetish for me, Lol.

Last edited:
PokeShipping : Misty/Kasumi, in general, seems to me the worst Pokegirl in anime and I consider it okay to leave her off the screen

RocketShipping: I hate this one, Musashi has been attracted to various men many times and Kojiro doesn't care. Also they are only to be the clowns of the anime, for me they will never be together

PearlShipping : Two reasons

1. I like Appeal, Ikari and HeaTtag
2. IMO the fanbase insults Serena just because her goal is Ash, and she loves him.

I know it's a bit immature that I don't like a Ship because of its fanbase, but unfortunately that's what I think

There are few pairings I outright dislike, but I'm not a fan of PokéShipping. Misty was often a jerk to Ash and treated him terribly. She was better in the later episodes of the original series, but if it weren't for that and for Ash generally being a nice person (though he could sometimes be a jerk early on too), I would be baffled as to how they're even friends. I want to emphasize that I have nothing against PokéShippers at all, it's just not for me.

I'm also not a fan of Human-Pokémon ships. Just not my thing.

All game-wise or manga-wise cause I don't watch the anime.

N x Hilda. Purely because it strips anything of personality from her to turn her into a thirst whore for N. (I also feel it's too much of a reflection that players themselves are extremely into N and just use Hilda/Hilbert as a 'self-insert' on that front.)

Cynthia x Dawn. Their respective ages should be indication enough.

Milo x Nessa. "NESSA SEES HIM AS A RIVAL SO THEY MUST BE IN LOVE. SURELY."

Manga-wise:

Yellow x Red. I should actually revisit that one cause I was always of the belief it struck me more as siblings, but it's been a while since I've actually read stuff from those arcs of the manga so take this one with a pinch of salt.

Blue x Green. I really can't see Green (The dude) be a person for a relationship. I also think the group of Kanto 4 in general are just better off as good friends that are so close they might as well be siblings.

I'm sure there might be some others but these jump out to me most and immediately jump to mind.

I should check this subforum more often...

RocketShipping: I hate this one, Musashi has been attracted to various men many times and Kojiro doesn't care.
Here are some examples of Kojiro not caring, for reference:

1. Here he sports the facial expression of abject apathy towards Musashi's flirting:
1606774441526.png

1606774600364.png

2. Total absence of reaction towards Musashi's wedding fantasy of Daigo:
SilkySnappyBlacklemur-small.gif

3. Remember how emotionless he was when she decided to leave him and get married to Dr White?

Here are some examples of Kojiro not caring, for reference:

1. Here he sports the facial expression of abject apathy towards Musashi's flirting:

2. Total absence of reaction towards Musashi's wedding fantasy of Daigo:

3. Remember how emotionless he was when she decided to leave him and get married to Dr White?

Given the examples, my impression was quite the opposite.

Kojiro is not absent from emotions and seems to care, at least, for Musashi's happiness. I mean, looks quite abvious the fraternal relationship between the two or at least on the part of kojiro. Plus, the Rocket triplet is so used to Musashi's love hallucinations that they don't seem to care, but when it starts to have some sense of reality Meowth and Kojiro are greatly affected, as in the above video.

Last edited:
I'm a multi-shipper who can and has worked with a lot of ships in Pokemon. I also tend to look at the end point of a character arc as much as the start so you would have less snappy Misty for example.

However if I am to mention ships that I don't like....

AlohaShipping: Ash x Mallow. I don't actively dislike or find it unsettling like some ships but I do think it is probably the weakest of the concluded seasons Ash x main girl ships. Not sure Mallow really had any moments with Ash. I am 64% sure the ship gets as much attention as it does because Mallow looks and is depicted older than the other two more (personal favorite SM Ash ship is actually Ash x Lana, and I was not expecting that when I started.)

Ash x Jessie: This also covers James to the same extent but I see Ash x Jessie more. I have no idea why....(sarcasm)....I just think there is too much bad blood to successfully handle it regarldess of what age the two are set. Also well...the age. I like writing Pokemon characters older but Jessie is still beyond my range of acceptable (...AKA the 'don't ship Naruto with Anko and Izuku with Mt. Lady' rule)

Ash x Domino: Yes I've seen it, and it is basically the above but worse because Team Rocket probably know Ash's checking account number at this point and probably would send him birthday checks if time wasn't a hiccup. Domino is purely antogonist.

Ash x J: ....Also yes, and even worse than the above because it happened repeatably.

Paul ships: ....I'm not a huge slash guy but I don't get why you'd ship Ash (or Dawn) with a guy that is probably the most antagonistic rival. I'd avoid a Ash x Gary fic without a lot of caveats about quality outside of ship but I could see that work. Paul I can't....

May x Drew and Dawn x Kenny: I always found the two to a bit too arrogant and jerkish to really accept. I'm, again, a multi shipper so I'm not the most inclined to alt ships but I'd rather Dawn x Zoey myself.

Ash's father as Oak x Delia: This is said this way because I am neutral to the idea that Oak and Delia are a couple when Ash is gone. I however have too much issue with the idea of a Dad Oak part of the ship. I can work with Step-Dad Oak (though in truth I'd rather have Step-Dad Kukui because my multi-ship extends to Delia x Kukui x Burnett to respond to the Archive Ash abandoned and adopted trend)

Named only ships: This is a bit of a weird one but I don't like the implications that if you have to establish a character in story as being in a relationship it has to be with someone who is also named. You can have X mention they are married without having to use a established character. If Whitney has a boyfriend it can be just some random guy in Goldenrod and not Morty or Lance or anything.

Multiships with odd parts: I love multiships. I look at a fic labeled AdvancedAmourPokePearlNegaiAbilityShalourBlueAurelia and I say to myself 'I'd read it'. However adding in characters that, for example, are much older than Ash is (hello Sabrina) is a absolute turn off. Also if you add Hilda or Gloria I expect you to actually develop her and build her up. A ship regardless of size lives and dies by the build up it gets to stand on its own and a non entity like Hilda or Gloria requires work to make work.

Given the examples, my impression was quite the opposite.

Kojiro is not absent from emotions and seems to care at least for Musashi's happiness. I mean, looks quite abvious the fraternal relationship between the two or at least on the part of kojiro. Plus, the Rocket triplet is so used to Musashi's love hallucinations that they doesn't seem to care, but when it starts to have some sense of reality Meowth and Kojiro are greatly affected, as in the above video.
I was trying to be saracastic but I guess it backfired :p Sorry, yes, my examples were to illustrate that he does actually care very much indeed.

I was gonna post about how I think Meowth X Meowzie would be a bad relationship that left both of them miserable...

...but then I saw this and it now tops my list.

I've also seen Female Ash x Giovanni floating around.

Well most people here are against penguin-shipping, but there is not any chemistry between ash and dawn. Penguin-shipping is not that popular because there was not much episodes involving Kenny. However, if you are to view the original Japanese Version, then you would realize that both Kenny and Dawn have a lot of affection for each other. In the last episode, Dawn writes to Kenny that she loves him as well, and is hopeful that both of them would meet again. She adds that Ash had supported him a lot and as a show of friendship she must support him again. She also assures Kenny that both of them would have a journey after the Sinnoh League was over. There was also an episode where dawn flirts with Kenny and ask him if he had feelings for her! However the western dub modified/erased or changed the whole lines while dubbing it in their own language because they saw these as inappropriate elements for the younger population. So America changed the lines of Dawn's acceptance of Kenny's offer to her saying that she found Kenny handsome. They also omitted dawn's proposal to her asking if Kenny found her pretty. So basically it was Dawn who proposed to Kenny first :) In one episode she also tells him that it was nice to frequently meet him, after a long time. When Dawn meets Iris and Ash, ash ask her about Kenny to which she replies that he decided to stay home. I do not know why the English dub removed it: Maybe because they thought that since Kenny was not present in the Episode Physically it is better not to state him. This shows that Dawn did meet Kenny Again. These also indicates that Ash was more of a mentor to Dawn: a sibling relation. Dawn practically never showed any romantic feelings towards ash and when all of them were parting, it was just a casual bye to friends! So, pear-shipping is the worst for me! I pretty much like Amour, Contest and Penguin. Some people are also literally shipping May and Max (seriously... quite perverted!) In one comic published in Japan it was also revealed that Zoey, Dawn, Kenny and Barry did have a journey together after Sinnoh! I know that Ash and Serena's relation is one sided but Serena's love should not be ignored! In reality, the MewTwo movie was going to be the last with Ash and misty ending up - but since there was a huge demand for the series to continue, the relationship died out, and I guess Serena fitted into this void well!
Anyways why do people ship Paul and Dawn? They seldom had any interactions. Anyways I am glad to be a Jap, and to view the original episodes.

Best shipping are:
May x Drew
Ash x Serena
Dawn x Kenny
Clemont x that girl who wanted to marry him

Why do people ship every female lead with ash! Are you that perverted- to think that ash marries each and every one :/

I didn't like Penguinshipping and Hearttagshipping. Kenny/Kengo pretty much treated Hikari as an object that could be won and acted really possessive towards her even if she wasn't dating Satoshi. Kohei/Conway was also really creepy since he kept hitting on her even when she was uncomfortable with it.
I don't like Penguinshipping. Kenny treated Dawn badly, and he treated her as an object and prize in a Pokémon battle. I was very happy when Dawn rejected Kenny in episode 180 of DP.

I also don't like Amourshipping. I feel Serena's crush got in the way of her showcase goal. I think we should of had more showcase episodes, and less one-sided hints from Serena. And I feel Amourshipping seemed quite forced at times.
Well most people here are against penguin-shipping, but there is not any chemistry between ash and dawn. Penguin-shipping is not that popular because there was not much episodes involving Kenny. However, if you are to view the original Japanese Version, then you would realize that both Kenny and Dawn have a lot of affection for each other. In the last episode, Dawn writes to Kenny that she loves him as well, and is hopeful that both of them would meet again. She adds that Ash had supported him a lot and as a show of friendship she must support him again. She also assures Kenny that both of them would have a journey after the Sinnoh League was over. There was also an episode where dawn flirts with Kenny and ask him if he had feelings for her! However the western dub modified/erased or changed the whole lines while dubbing it in their own language because they saw these as inappropriate elements for the younger population. So America changed the lines of Dawn's acceptance of Kenny's offer to her saying that she found Kenny handsome. They also omitted dawn's proposal to her asking if Kenny found her pretty. So basically it was Dawn who proposed to Kenny first :) In one episode she also tells him that it was nice to frequently meet him, after a long time. When Dawn meets Iris and Ash, ash ask her about Kenny to which she replies that he decided to stay home. I do not know why the English dub removed it: Maybe because they thought that since Kenny was not present in the Episode Physically it is better not to state him. This shows that Dawn did meet Kenny Again. These also indicates that Ash was more of a mentor to Dawn: a sibling relation. Dawn practically never showed any romantic feelings towards ash and when all of them were parting, it was just a casual bye to friends! So, pear-shipping is the worst for me! I pretty much like Amour, Contest and Penguin. Some people are also literally shipping May and Max (seriously... quite perverted!) In one comic published in Japan it was also revealed that Zoey, Dawn, Kenny and Barry did have a journey together after Sinnoh! I know that Ash and Serena's relation is one sided but Serena's love should not be ignored! In reality, the MewTwo movie was going to be the last with Ash and misty ending up - but since there was a huge demand for the series to continue, the relationship died out, and I guess Serena fitted into this void well!
Anyways why do people ship Paul and Dawn? They seldom had any interactions. Anyways I am glad to be a Jap, and to view the original episodes.

Best shipping are:
May x Drew
Ash x Serena
Dawn x Kenny
Clemont x that girl who wanted to marry him

Why do people ship every female lead with ash! Are you that perverted- to think that ash marries each and every one :/

These also indicates that Ash was more of a mentor to Dawn: a sibling relation. Dawn practically never showed any romantic feelings towards ash and when all of them were parting, it was just a casual bye to friends!

Well, in my opinion, people tend to ship characters they like the most, even if they don't seem to be reallly in love. It's simply a way to expose our preferences and likes.

Otherwise, sometimes characters have interactions that, for one reason or another, please some of us or catch our attention. So, even though their relationship isn't romantic at all, we ended up shipping them.

After all, we must remember that Pokémon is an anime/series not very interested in developing romantic relationships.

Furthermore, as you say, there are sensitive script changes between the Japanese version and the other translations, which leads to different interpretations and ships.

Some people are also literally shipping May and Max (seriously... quite perverted!) Why do people ship every female lead with ash! Are you that perverted- to think that ash marries each and every one :/

I believe that deep down, in one way or another, everyone is a bit of a pervert Lol. The fan community just makes a point of making this clear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom