• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shooting at Newtown Elementary School [NOT for debates on gun control]

Reaction score
NOTE: This is NOT the place for debates on gun control. Users who debate on gun control here will be infracted. A sister thread where gun control can be debated can be found in Nicoleta's Campaign Bus.

NEWTOWN, CONN -- NEWTOWN - Twenty-seven people including 18 children were massacred in a horrific bloodbath at the Sandy Hook Elementary School this morning, sources told the Associated Press.

Few other details were immediately available, and other reports contradicted those numbers.

But local, state and federal authorities swooped down on the school about 9:40 a.m. after someone called 911 from inside the school and reported the shooting.
ABC News said state and federal sources told the network that dozens of victims had been shot, many of them fatally.
ABC said the shooter was an employee who had been fired earlier in the morning and returned with an assault weapon, shot a school employee and then shot himself.

The network quoted one parent who said that "hundreds of shots" were fired during the 9:40 a.m. incident.

Panicked parents rushed to the suburban school this morning after the unidentified gunman wounded a school employee, authorities and sources said. There were also reports that another gunman was involved, and Danbury police had surrounded a van in that city investigating the incident.

Several students were reportedly brought to Danbury Hospital's emergency room this morning, but the extent of their injuries was unclear.
While both ABC and CBS reported that multiple children had been shot, other sources said the pupils had been cut by flying glass caused by the shooting.
A 9-year-old student heard the gunshots this morning.

"I saw police with big guns," said Venesa Bajraliu. "It was a little scary."

She said she was in her classroom when she heard shots, about 20. The class was instructed to go into the teacher's office, she said.
Police came and took the students out, telling them to close their eyes.

Some reports identified the school employee as a teacher, and said she was wounded in the leg. Other reports from the scene indicated the school principal, Dawn Hochsprung, was shot and had been killed.

A hospital official confirmed that three people were transported from the scene to the hospital. No information on their conditions is immediately available.
Danbury Police Chief Al Baker said people were killed in the shooting, but offered no specifics. He brought in extra officers to Danbury Hospital to control the "chaos expected as parents and media arrive."

Children are being evacuated to the Sandy Hook firehouse and all schools in town are locked down.

A parent who picked up their child at the school reported that children were advised by a fireman to close their eyes and run past the office, where the shooting reportedly occurred during an administrators meeting.

Superintendent of Schools Janet Robinson is at the firehouse where parents are picking up their children. She has been trying to contact the school's principal.
Hocksprung became principal of Sandy Hook Elementary School July 1, 2010.

She was an administrator in Danbury public schools for six years, for five years as assistant principal of Danbury's Rogers Park Middle School and from 2003-2004, an assistant principal of Danbury High School.

Police are planning a press conference for early afternoon.

Andrea Rynn, spokeswoman for Western Connecticut Health Network, said Danbury Hospital's emergency department has convened its emergency team to be ready for the victims of this incident. She did not say how many victims are expected from the shooting.
Rynn said that "out of an abundance of caution'' the hospital put its emergency department on lockdown Friday. There is no direct threat to the department, she said.

Robinson said it is best if parents do not try to call the school at this time. The school district will release a message once further information is known.
Danbury parochial schools and Bethel schools are in lockdown as a precaution. Danbury schools are keeping close watch.
Baker said he brought an extra shift of officers for the schools. While indications are the Danbury schools are safe, he said it would be "prudent to take precautions."

"We are doing our due diligence to make sure our schools are safe," Baker said.

The White House said President Barack Obama was notified of the shooting.

AP: 27 dead, including 18 children in Newtown school shooting - StamfordAdvocate

Twenty-seven in total are reported dead, 18 of whom are children. A gunman is reported dead.

What is driving these fools to do such horrible manslaughter? Why must they take other people's lives who most likely doesn't have connection to the perpetrator? Children, even?

My heart and feelings goes to the victims and their families for this horrible, dark hour of their life.

Last edited:
Does any one have a update on the possible second shooter? There were reports this morning, but I lost track of the news around noon as it got too depressing and repetitive.

This is depressing the heck out of me. :'( May everybody except the f-ing shooter rest in peace.

Does any one have a update on the possible second shooter? There were reports this morning, but I lost track of the news around noon as it got too depressing and repetitive.

I'd heard that a similar attack happened in China today, but no one was actually killed (there were injuries, however). Unfortunately, Google searching has proved inconclusive since most of the items relate to the Connecticut shooting.

Last edited:
E-Eighteen C-Children!? and I thought that famous highschool incident was horrible... it's bad enough this is reminding me of how I lost my kid brother (firearms accident, unrelated)... but, th-the horror...!

and now the rest of those psycho paranoid people will have another reference to look toward in justifying their disgusting logic...

It turns out it was the guy's younger brother who did the shootings and was carrying his ID. Of course, because said brother was 20, Faux News immmediately links the shootings to video games because they lack the capacity to think things through.

A pity.

What is driving these fools to do such horrible manslaughter? Why must they take other people's lives who most likely doesn't have connection to the perpetrator? Children, even?
Honestly? I think it's the media's sick obsession with events like these. It's almost like a glorification to these sick minded people. They see these things on the news so often that they think "Hey, instead of just killing myself, I should go out with a bang!". So they begin to plot their attacks, reveling in the fact that they'll have their week of fame, whether they're alive or dead afterward. They feed off of the idea that they'll cause so much chaos and carnage as to make society rethink its laws, its standards and circlejerk even more over these events.

There's no mistaking that there's always a disgusting media circus surrounding every single one of these events. As soon as it happens, news agencies flood in with shaky details, fly their star reporters out to the scene, poke around for hours learning nothing and parroting the same crap they did at the start. This goes on for days, even weeks, where the friends and family are harassed by the media to get answers they don't even have. It's sickening and I believe why these big events happen more and more often after the first major one in a few months.

It shows a major lack of journalism ethics and to me is a major trigger. But I may be wrong.

It turns out it was the guy's younger brother who did the shootings and was carrying his ID. Of course, because said brother was 20, Faux News immmediately links the shootings to video games because they lack the capacity to think things through.

A pity.
Come on, don't be so quick to judge, it's incredibly silly. The man who made that link is an outside source who has no affiliation with Fox News outside of appearing on one of the shows today, and he only made a glancing pass at gaming in general as a possible factor leading to events such as this. The thing about news agencies is that they bring people on to provide insight that the news anchors can not, as they are the messenger, not the up to the minute fact finders. They can't preemptively screen every expert, guest and pundit for what they might say. I mean, just doing a quick scan of articles about this event published on the fox news family of media outlets, none of them even mention video gaming (or other popular forms of media). It is not an official opinion held by the network.
@Big Lutz; Initial reports were of a second gunman, correct. However, from sources I've looked at, there was only one. The reason we often hear of second and third gunmen in cases like these is that the initial 911 reports often have slightly conflicting details due to the frantic nature of the calls. Investigators are expected to follow all leads, so they generally don't lump similar but still different reports into the same suspect or category.

Times like these I think to myself, "Wow, I am extremely lucky to be have stayed alive for this long." I mean, life is so... dangerously unpredictable in this regard. You could be having the time of your life when out of the blue, you're dead because some ass with gun felt like it. Whether you pissed him off directly or not is entirely irrelevant and you'd never see it coming.

Sadly, these kids' lives ended before they even truly began. Such a shame...

I honestly don't know how to react to this. My heart breaks for all of the families involved. And to think that these parents have all of these gifts under their christmas trees for young sweet innocent children that are never coming home. And I can't even imagine what the shooter's family is going through.

18 of whom are children.

Some faith in humanity has been lost. not that it was never lost in the first place

There are really no words on how devastating this news is. No one, especially children, should have to experience this crap. My heart goes out to those that died.

Words can't equate the feeling of hopelessness and despair this makes me feel.

I'm starting to wonder if we stop remembering these tragedies for the names of the perpetrators, and remember these types of crimes by the victims instead, if it would have any positive effect on the future. The cretins that take so much away deserve to be forgotten by the annals of history.

I honestly don't know how to react to this. My heart breaks for all of the families involved. And to think that these parents have all of these gifts under their christmas trees for young sweet innocent children that are never coming home. And I can't even imagine what the shooter's family is going through.

that second part's got to be the most heartbreaking thing of all... especially for Parents who know exactly what their kids want, and they go out early to get them in advance... now all those toy are are reminders so painful that they'll break down and... ugh, it hurts to think about...

Truly sickening, especially the fact that the guy murdered his own mother in addition to her kindergarten class.

I just can't stop thinking about all of the parents who already finished Christmas shopping for their children.

Basically what @Force Fire; said, but on the real it's a time for mourning those poor innocent little children and adults.

It's so, so sad that this happened. People seemingly forget though that things like this happen everywhere, whether it be in America or Iran, the difference is how much publicity they get.

rest in peace :(

The first time I heard about was yesterday afternoon and it just really struck me really, really hard. It's just sickening that someone would shoot up a elementary for no real reason ,other than possibly psychological issues, and kill innocent children. I don't know why, but I don't think I've ever been hit so deep by a tragedy like this. It's just traumatizing and I can't seem to get over it. Still today hours later I'm still stuck and saddened about it and it's probably gonna still be on my mind later in the day. My heart and prayers go out the victims, their families and loved ones.

Whoever the bastard that shot up those poor children, should go all the way to the lowest possible circle of Hell. It's one thing for one to kill people, but it's a whole other deal for this guy to not put himself above targeting children.

People keep doing these things because the media, in it's need for 24 hour news coverage, will pick at and analyse every little part of the disaster. Did video games influence him? Did he listen to heavy metal? Was he the quiet kid? But what these news channels don't understand is that they're looking for attention, and they know the country will be looking at him, acknowledging him due to the disaster. If Fox and MSNBC stopped telling us about for the coming weeks then they'd see that these actions are no longer being reported as much, they won't have other killing sprees to worship, and they won't have gunmen to idolise

News channels typically don't report on criminals that got away in a police chase, or successfully robbed a bank. But they do promote stories where the dopey criminal got easily caught by the police. Less people are committing crimes which they see as being unsuccessful, and if we stopped reporting school shoot ups so thoroughly then maybe there would be less influence on fucked up people to shoot children.

People keep doing these things because the media, in it's need for 24 hour news coverage, will pick at and analyse every little part of the disaster. Did video games influence him? Did he listen to heavy metal? Was he the quiet kid? But what these news channels don't understand is that they're looking for attention, and they know the country will be looking at him, acknowledging him due to the disaster. If Fox and MSNBC stopped telling us about for the coming weeks then they'd see that these actions are no longer being reported as much, they won't have other killing sprees to worship, and they won't have gunmen to idolise

News channels typically don't report on criminals that got away in a police chase, or successfully robbed a bank. But they do promote stories where the dopey criminal got easily caught by the police. Less people are committing crimes which they see as being unsuccessful, and if we stopped reporting school shoot ups so thoroughly then maybe there would be less influence on fucked up people to shoot children.

Butquite a few MSNBC stopped saying the name of the shooter on the day of the shooting so that he wasn't remembered by it.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom